PDA

View Full Version : Strobe for Olympus 770

caroln
02-14-2008, 12:19
Does anyone have any recommendatons for a strobe to use with the Olympus 770 and PT-035 housing? I see that Olympus makes a strobe, but don't know anything about it. I want something really easy to use and compact. Any suggestions?

RoyN
02-14-2008, 13:04
The Olympus UFL-1 is a nice, small compact strobe that is actually made by Sea & Sea strobe. It is almost an equal to the YS-60 strobe except it is small and compact. That should work fine for you. :)

There is also the new Sealife SL961D strobe which I had for a few weeks and worked great. Its around $300 dollars which is only about $50 more the Olympus UFL-1.

Otherwise, you should PM Pufferfish, he'll help you more! :D

PlatypusMan
02-14-2008, 13:26
The Olympus UFL-1 is a nice, small compact strobe that is actually made by Sea & Sea strobe.

I second RoyN's recommendation of the UFL-1. Very reasonably priced unit from Olympus.

PPM

caroln
02-14-2008, 16:25
Thanks for the responses guys. Reasonably priced is key right now since I'm starting cave training too and that's eating up a lot of my 'play' budget.

dannybot
02-16-2008, 12:14
So would th UFL-1 work for an FE-230 as well? How does it attach, do you need a tray as well, at what point would I be better off with the SL961d?

RoyN
02-17-2008, 16:52
Dannybot, It is always the right time to get the SL961D if you have enough money. If you have more to spend, you should try and get the YS-27DX or the YS-110 strobe.

dannybot
02-19-2008, 17:09
Dannybot, It is always the right time to get the SL961D if you have enough money. If you have more to spend, you should try and get the YS-27DX or the YS-110 strobe.

I don't have that much money, I just lack much patience. My real question, is what will work the best for the least money and little monkeying around making attachments and adjustments, while being compact and portable? I have to keep reminding myself that this is for fun! I just want to go play in the water, and bring home some pictures to show my friends, but at the same time, i get disappointed with all the blue/gray or blurred and backscattered.

RoyN
02-22-2008, 19:28
I don't have that much money, I just lack much patience. My real question, is what will work the best for the least money and little monkeying around making attachments and adjustments, while being compact and portable? I have to keep reminding myself that this is for fun! I just want to go play in the water, and bring home some pictures to show my friends, but at the same time, i get disappointed with all the blue/gray or blurred and backscattered.

The Sealife SL961D will fit your bill. Its around $300 now, almost the same price as the Olympus UFL-1 strobe.

dannybot
02-22-2008, 20:16
Thanks Roy, still working on the 250 posts to get there!