PDA

View Full Version : Bridge to Key Largo

FyVe
02-14-2008, 18:17
Drove past the key largo construction today, seems that it should be done any day now. the bridge is actually almost done end to end now. im looking forward to less traffic.

scubasamurai
02-14-2008, 22:24
that would be nice since i am heading that way in april

terrillja
02-14-2008, 22:33
I'll be there in 2 weeks

NitroWill
02-14-2008, 22:36
Ill be in the Keys:

March 13-16
April 10-13 (Key West)
June 20-22

scubasamurai
02-14-2008, 22:50
key largo 5th thru the 10th of april

Black-Gorrilla
02-14-2008, 22:56
i'll be there pretty much every weekend, for the next 6, then i'll be out of town (vegas :( no ocean) for anywhere between 4-??Months.... but if im at home in miami, i'll most likely be in key largo every weekend.

DougNR
02-17-2008, 18:24
Drove past the key largo construction today, seems that it should be done any day now. the bridge is actually almost done end to end now. im looking forward to less traffic.

I guess I'm just old fashoned - or perhaps just old!

I'd much rather have the trip take a bit longer than have another massive concrete and steel eyesore south of Miami. I passed that thing a couple of weeks ago myself. Chances are they'll have concrete rails set so high you can't take advantage of the elevation for a good look around.

I must be a real "keys curmudgean" because it really opissed me off when Key West could'nt pass up the loot and let he cruise ships block the view at Malory Square!

Oh well...

mpd525
02-17-2008, 20:36
leaving wednesday morning.

scubasamurai
02-17-2008, 21:45
who you diving with and gives us a report please. have fun and hope the weather holds.

NitroWill
02-17-2008, 22:02
Im excited about the key west trip - going with the fam. my dads got an oceanfront vip suite at the Sheraton Keywest - looks super nice! The other two times I am helping out with some AOW classes..

FyVe
02-17-2008, 22:10

I guess I'm just old fashoned - or perhaps just old!

I'd much rather have the trip take a bit longer than have another massive concrete and steel eyesore south of Miami. I passed that thing a couple of weeks ago myself. Chances are they'll have concrete rails set so high you can't take advantage of the elevation for a good look around.

I must be a real "keys curmudgean" because it really opissed me off when Key West could'nt pass up the loot and let he cruise ships block the view at Malory Square!

Oh well...

i enjoy the drive too, and it's usually not that bad, but it's gotten worst lately, and also during summer. either way, it's there now. the rails for the bridge dont look too tall, so the view might be enjoyable. the good thing is that it goes over the draw bridge.

Buoyant1
02-21-2008, 11:19
Good..when we drove through there in November it was a virtual nightmare!

I'm sure it will be nice when completed! Good news!

terrillja
03-09-2008, 20:41
I don't know about any day now. When we went by last week they still had concrete forms in place and were placing rebar for more piers. As for the railing height, it looks to be similar in design to seven mile bridge, which isn't bad for views.

scubacat80
03-09-2008, 21:21
Weather dependent I am heading down there Tuesday. Is the construction causing long delays?

terrillja
03-09-2008, 21:26
Weather dependent I am heading down there Tuesday. Is the construction causing long delays?
Our delays wore more caused by people driving slowly for no reason. The construction wasn't bad at all, both during the week as well as during the weekend.

Then again I've been driving around the big dig for a while now, so what is a construction delay to others is nothing to me. I tend to avoid boston and its construction like the plague.

FyVe
03-10-2008, 03:52

the only traffic issues i had lately was heading out of there after 5 on sundays. other than that no real delays.

No Misses
03-10-2008, 05:21
I think it was a bad idea. The 18 mile stretch provides a natural bottle neck to throttle down the flow of traffic before it hit Key Largo. Now you are going to see the traffic back up in Key Largo. All that they did was move the bottleneck a few miles south. IMHO

scubacat80
03-13-2008, 21:21
I just got back from there today finally, my trip was postponed from Tuesday since weather reports didn't look great.

THE TRIP WAS A PAIN IN THE BUTT!! This wasn't just stop or go or people driving slowly. We got stopped to a dead halt twice. Once I assume was because the drawbridge was up, I hear it goes up on every hour and half hour. The second time was because they were laying the reflectors on the side of the road, one guy pouring tar, and another guy with the box and dropping them on the ground. Leading them was a truck that was riding its break.

We left an hour earlier then would should have and still missed the boat by five minutes. Guess that hours wasn't long enough! From the looks of it this project isn't going to be done for a few months.

scubasamurai
03-14-2008, 11:00
what is the mile marker for all these problems i am heading out there in april driving down to mile marker 100

terrillja
03-14-2008, 11:54
what is the mile marker for all these problems i am heading out there in april driving down to mile marker 100
The bridge is before you even enter key largo, like mm 120 or so. You will have to pass through the construction to get to mm100.

scubacat80
03-14-2008, 12:43
Its at about mile marker 108-9. When I first hit the slowdowns I was at about 112. From the bridge to 100 mile marker it was about 20-25 minutes. There is about a 10 mile span in that area where the speed limit in 35mph. Once you get to about 106-7 it picks up again.

FyVe
03-15-2008, 00:42
its a luck of thr draw thing now. you either get little traffic caused by slow drivers... or full blown stoppage.

scubasamurai
03-15-2008, 21:44
well it will be on a saturday and most of the spring breakers will be gone by then, but i still probably will hit traffic, i was leaving early and seeing if i could catch the afternoon boat to get wet , because the first dive for me will be the speigel grove. can;t wait thanks guys

FyVe
03-15-2008, 21:49
enjoy

Garrobo
03-16-2008, 07:22
One of the locals told me that the construction on the bridge should be finished by 2010 and the road work by 2012. I drive over the causeway once or twice a month on the way to Largo or Islamorada, usually around noon, and haven't had much of a problem as far as slow downs.

FyVe
03-16-2008, 08:58
One of the locals told me that the construction on the bridge should be finished by 2010 and the road work by 2012. I drive over the causeway once or twice a month on the way to Largo or Islamorada, usually around noon, and haven't had much of a problem as far as slow downs.

2010? really? guess my previous "should be done anyday now" statement has to be recalled.
doesnt look like they have that much more to do... but i guess there is more than meets the eye.

scubacat80
03-16-2008, 11:21
well it will be on a saturday and most of the spring breakers will be gone by then, but i still probably will hit traffic, i was leaving early and seeing if i could catch the afternoon boat to get wet , because the first dive for me will be the speigel grove. can;t wait thanks guys

Be careful...in my travels this past weekend the airports were still packed with spring breakers coming and going.

doczerothree
03-16-2008, 12:22
Anything that can get me there quicker and safer I'm for. They hadn't fininshed when I tripped down last december. Be nice to see it completed:smiley20:

scubasamurai
03-16-2008, 13:39

Be careful...in my travels this past weekend the airports were still packed with spring breakers coming and going.

that is this month, i will be heading out in april. most of the northern areas have an "early break" but us floridians seemed to have an april spring break this year. well see

mobeeno
04-11-2008, 22:57
I was staying in Florida City 1st week of April. The bridge construction did not bother me. It did not take long to drive to Key Largo to catch the dive boat in the morning. It was a bit slow on the way back from Key Largo to FC. I did not feel the impact of Spring Break. I flew standby and was lucky not to get bumped both ways.

scubasamurai
04-11-2008, 23:33
actually it isn't the construction over the bridge area. the draw bridge still works and it is bad on the weekend!!! i drove over it on a saturday and got stuck there, but on tuesday no traffic

dutchman
04-13-2008, 12:00
We are coming down next week for the Ft Lauderdale dive show. Then may drive to Key Largo for a few days. Anyone know if there is a web site that gives water temps and visibility? for South Florida?

reservecops
04-14-2008, 10:29
We are coming down next week for the Ft Lauderdale dive show. Then may drive to Key Largo for a few days. Anyone know if there is a web site that gives water temps and visibility? for South Florida?Got any info on the dive show (e.g. web site?). I'm going to be down 4/20-4/28 (Sarasota/Venice area), and am diving in Key Largo on the 24th/25th, which puts me in the area.

scubasamurai
04-14-2008, 11:37
We are coming down next week for the Ft Lauderdale dive show. Then may drive to Key Largo for a few days. Anyone know if there is a web site that gives water temps and visibility? for South Florida?

UpperKeysDiving.com: Scuba divers in Key Largo Florida Keys, scuba diving Key Largo to Islamorada with underwater tropical reef fish in John Pennekamp State Park and see maps of wrecks at diveshops (http://www.upperkeysdiving.com/)

try this link it may help

reservecops
04-14-2008, 12:56

UpperKeysDiving.com: Scuba divers in Key Largo Florida Keys, scuba diving Key Largo to Islamorada with underwater tropical reef fish in John Pennekamp State Park and see maps of wrecks at diveshops (http://www.upperkeysdiving.com/)

try this link it may helpI don't see anything at that link regarding a dive show in Ft. Lauderdale ...

dutchman
04-14-2008, 14:38
We are coming down next week for the Ft Lauderdale dive show. Then may drive to Key Largo for a few days. Anyone know if there is a web site that gives water temps and visibility? for South Florida?Got any info on the dive show (e.g. web site?). I'm going to be down 4/20-4/28 (Sarasota/Venice area), and am diving in Key Largo on the 24th/25th, which puts me in the area.

The web site is Ocean Festival Dive and Adventure Sports Expo (http://www.oceanfest.com)
Looks like lot's of fun and information.