PDA

View Full Version : My wake-up call (& utter humiliation)

sidneydiver
07-29-2007, 23:16
I've been meaning to get into a better fitness regime and eat better for quite a while but as usual have been procrastinating; busy at work, need to relax...
I had a bit of a rude awakening as to how unfit I am a couple of days ago. I bent over slightly and felt a searing sharp pain in my lower back which made me fall to the floor. I was stuck flat on my face on the floor unable to get up and even worse, I had just got out of the shower and was completely butt naked! I lay there for a while hoping that it would go away but every time I tried to get up it was so painful that it made me cry out with pain. Finally I realised that I was going to have to call for assistance. Luckily my cell phone was within reach and 2 of my dive buddies came to my rescue. I wanted to salvage what little of my pride I had left (I'm a girl and both my buddies are guys) and I managed to reach the bottom of my robe which was hanging on a hook and I pulled it until the hook broke. My buddies turned up and proceded to try to break into my house to rescue me. Fortunately I managed to crawl commando style to the front door to let them in. They got me some pain killers and ice and picked me up and put me on the sofa and we consulted a Physio that we work with. A little later I got to work and had some acupuncture and tests to rule out anything too serious. It seems that it was a strain of some sort but it has really made me think about my fitness levels and my diving. I live to dive and I've started diving doubles and I am obviously out of shape and could stand to lose some weight.
I think that this is the wake-up call that I needed to eat better and work out to get a stronger back and core that would prevent this sort of thing happening in the future. I guess I'll be able to laugh about this soon! I'm still too busy trying to find my pride which I left on the floor somewhere. I think the cat may have eaten it.

Moxie
07-29-2007, 23:20
Ouch! I feel your pain... well almost. My SO has the same problem. Doc told him 6 months to get better. Hope it doesn't take that long for you. Remember, don't over do it.

fire diver
07-30-2007, 00:00
Dont' worry, I see that all the time. I think if nobody ever took their clothes off, there would be no injuries like this. We always get called to pick up naked people out of thier bathrooms. :smiley5:

I would suggest alternating OTC meds. Take the full strength of aspirin, 2 hours later take the full strength of tylenol, 2 hours later take the full strength of motrin, then repeat back with aspirin again. This is assuming that you are not alergic to any of these pain relievers. Now, that your pain is held back a bit, stay active. walk around alot. When you feel up to it, start walking every day, and doing situps. When you strengthen the stomach, you reinforce the pelvic girdle which in turn supports the back.

Good Luck!

Oh, only do the alternating meds for a few days, 5 at most.

cummings66
07-30-2007, 07:30
I while not that out of shape hurt my back pretty bad so I understand the pain. It took me nearly a month to get to the point where I could do things unaided, I couldn't even lift a loaf of bread by myself. I took a lot of pain killers to get me by.

I hope you get off easy, but just in case do what the doctors say and don't push yourself.

Illini_Fan
07-30-2007, 07:46
I too feel your pain (but fortunately not the whole naked situation :) ). Until you have had back pain / problems I don't think you can truly appreciate just how difficult daily movement can be.

And I was lucky, my problem was a lower muscle strain and not permanent. It hurt, and there were some days where once I laid down, I wasn't sure how I was getting back up. I took about 6 weeks to fully heal the strain -- but I learned my lesson regarding stretching before exercise. I'm no longer a teenager, who's body can recover from unlimited abuse.

Get well soon

Zenagirl
07-30-2007, 08:20
Ouch! I've thrown my back out like that before and the pain is unimaginable unless you've been there.

Just make sure you let yourself completely heal before you lift your gear. Just when you think you're 100%, give yourself another 2-4 weeks of healing. There's just nothing worse than a chronic back condition.

Queen
07-30-2007, 08:36
Been there too, I used to have a "bad back", I don't anymore.

When you're feeling better give this book a look, it made a HUGE difference in my quality of life: Healing Back Pain (http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-Pain-Mind-Body-Connection/dp/0446392308)

WaterRat
07-30-2007, 09:15
I had a similar muscle strain picking up a sock of all things. Doc said i just happen to bend the wrong way and my back was already tired from a new job that required lots of lifting.

Ron

BSea
07-30-2007, 10:21
I had something similar happen years ago when I was in shape. I was playing softball when I twisted the wrong way. It wasn't too bad at first, but the next day I could hardly move. I left work early & went home. I took a hot bath hoping it would help.

The real problem came when I tried to get out of the bathtub. I was single at the time, so there would be nobody coming home to help me. It took almost an hour to get out of that tub, and it was the most painful thing I've ever done.:smiley19:

To this day I only take showers.

TxHockeyGuy
07-30-2007, 13:28
I injured my back pretty good when I first started to play hockey and was on the ice 5-6 times a week learning to skate better. I went from no exercise to way too much and paid for it. It took about an hour to get out of bed in the morning and getting in and out of my car was a major ordeal. I won't even begin to talk about living on the third floor. Unfortunately ever since that day I've had on and off back problems, fortunately mostly off. It's a real pain in the butt. I need to go back to the chiropractor but I never do. I know some hate chiropractors but the one I went to really helped me, although I think I set a new record for how high he had seen someone turn up the tens unit. I distinctly remember him having me do the lean over test to see how far I could bend before my back hurt, I made it about 2 inches.

cummings66
07-30-2007, 20:25
I believe chiropractors are nothing more than a deep massage artist. They do a great job fixing you up. To be honest I don't think that they actually put a bone back in place, the popping is nothing more than gas in the joints.

I think they work however, just not for the commonly cited reasons. When my back really gets to hurting I'll visit them for several treatments and in the end I feel better. Some people say the chiropractor hurts them, but by the time I go there's not much left to hurt except that one day. First time as an adult I've ever cried, and I've broken bones and had lots of other pain.

In my case I ruptured a disk and that's why it was so painful. I even got an x ray of the tilt. I have a high threshold for pain and prefer to take no meds for it, but I discovered with the disk that sometimes toughing it out makes it worse and a doctor is a good thing.

sidneydiver
07-30-2007, 20:33
Thank you all for your kind words and for sharing your experiences. I'm hoping it's nothing more than a strain but I've got an appointment with a doctor on Thursday just to be on the safe side. Keep your fingers crossed!

fire diver
07-30-2007, 21:09
I believe chiropractors are nothing more than a deep massage artist. They do a great job fixing you up. To be honest I don't think that they actually put a bone back in place, the popping is nothing more than gas in the joints.

I can attest that they do tremendous good. Last time I hurt my back, I did nothing more than stand up after bending over. Not even lifting anything. After about a week of suffering, I was standing and walking with a sever curve in my lower back. I had a pinched nerve, and my body was pull away from that pain with everything it had. When the chiro yanked on one of my legs, I felt the most intense pain of my life. For about one second. Then all the pain just went away and I walked out fine. Of course the muscles pulled back a bit, but everyday I went to for treatments, the pain was less going in. After about 5 days of manipulation I quit going becuase I had reached a point of diminishing returns.

My insurance doesn't cover manipulations, so I paid for everything out of pocket. I didn't care too much, becuase I felt SOOOO much better.

FD

Queen
07-31-2007, 07:12
Thank you all for your kind words and for sharing your experiences. I'm hoping it's nothing more than a strain but I've got an appointment with a doctor on Thursday just to be on the safe side. Keep your fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed, hope it turns out to be a simple strain. :smiley20:

Disneymom
07-31-2007, 08:45
Good luck at the doctor's office Thursday - hope it's nothing major!

loudgonzo
07-31-2007, 09:55

I can attest that they do tremendous good. Last time I hurt my back, I did nothing more than stand up after bending over. Not even lifting anything. After about a week of suffering, I was standing and walking with a sever curve in my lower back. I had a pinched nerve, and my body was pull away from that pain with everything it had. When the chiro yanked on one of my legs, I felt the most intense pain of my life. For about one second. Then all the pain just went away and I walked out fine. Of course the muscles pulled back a bit, but everyday I went to for treatments, the pain was less going in. After about 5 days of manipulation I quit going becuase I had reached a point of diminishing returns.

My insurance doesn't cover manipulations, so I paid for everything out of pocket. I didn't care too much, becuase I felt SOOOO much better.

FD

I'm glad it worked out for you. One of my good friends had a bad experience when he when to a chiropractor, went a total of 4 times for similar situation, but his back pain was considerably worse after each treatment.

georoc01
07-31-2007, 13:37
A good friend of mine who is both a physical therapist and an acupressurist told me that Chiropractors are good at alignment. They can get your bones back where they should be. The problem is the muscles. They will pull your bones back out of alignment which is why there are quite a few people that become dependent on their Chiropractor.

So just seeing one won't do it. You need to have to also include some type of exercise regimin strengthen the muscles around the imflamed area to get things back to where they should be.

Since I took up shore diving, I have had to really work on strengthening my lower back. I wake up very stiff and need to go through a stretching routine before I shower every morning. It seems to really help.

I also need to get a tigher cumberbund. The current one doesn't appear to be tight enough to take the weight off my back coming down on my shoulders during the hike to the water from the parking lot.

thesmoothdome
07-31-2007, 13:49
Don't feel humiliated. Things like this happen. At least you were able to get help in a somewhat private manner. I understand the bad back syndrome. Hell, I understand the bad body syndrome :(. Strengthening the core muscles is the best solution to a chronic problem. Oh, and 1 more vote for my chiropractor. Although it's not immediate gratification, it's definately helpful. I've even go so far as to take one of my wrestlers to him, whom he treated for free. Great guy. Very good chiropractor.

Foo2
08-01-2007, 13:15
I LOVE my chiropractor! I have scoliosis and had a pinched a nerve durring my last pregnancy. One morning while I was doing the dangerous activity of making toast, I took a deep breath in and something popped and at that point I couldn't move. My hubby carried me to the couch where I stayed until my chiropractor(one of our friends) could get to my house. He gave me a quick adjustment on my living room floor and I was able to move by the end of the day. 7 days later you never would have known something happened. I have been seeing him monthly ever since and I honestly believe that it helped me have an easier labor and delivery. Anyway I'll stop cheerleading now. :)

diver_daver
08-02-2007, 09:56
Chiropractor's are only part of the solution, and they work for some more than others. Everybody needs to find the right person to help them with their specific problem. Other than that, chiropractor's, massage therapist, etc can only help you until your body is healed. At that point it is up to us and some small changes in our 'comfortable' lifestyle. We need to strengthen the muscles in not only our backs, but our legs, buts, shoulders......... Once again, everybody needs to find a fitness program that works for them and there are many out there. The thing we {as scuba divers} need are compound exercises {exercises that involve more than one joint/muscle group}, balance work {including doing different exercises while working on our balance} and some good cardio.

sidneydiver, good luck today and let us know what happens.

sidneydiver
08-03-2007, 00:02
So I went to the doctor today and it's good news, no major damage, just a strain and a bit of joint irritation. He said it looked as though I have an extra vertebrae in my lower back. He's pretty sure it's 2 parts of the same vertebrae that never fused together though. He gave me a cortizone shot and some more pills and exercises and thinks I should be good soon. If I add that to a better exercise regime when it feels a bit better then hopefully it won't happen again!
I know that my buddies have seen me in a swimsuit plenty of times but I could live without them finding me helpless and half naked lying on the floor again! Kudos to both of them for not laughing at me though! I work with both of them and just about everybody else cracked up when they heard!
Thank you all for your support too!

highdesert
10-10-2007, 06:48

Sorry, I have to disagree with you. While I think some chiropractors may have marginal skills, others border on miracle workers. I'm lucky enough to have one nearby.

I was in my fifties in OK shape when my back let go. I was totally immobilized, and ended up in the hospital on morphine I was in so much pain. The first week of chiro was extremely painful. He showed me specifically why I had a problem, with one leg 1/4" shorter than the other and one deformed vertebra. He said I was lucky to have gotten to my age without my back letting go sooner.

This guy's office is plastered with photos of him and Olymic athletes over a range of years, where he would go and maintain the team during the Olympics. Many of them still fly into our small town in Colorado and rent a car to drive 20 miles to get crunched by him.

Last winter, I got hit in the head (helmet on) by a chairlift at a ski resort. Almost knocked me out. I had a headache for 10 days until I could get to him. I never heard such crunching, and I would not have trusted anyone else in the world to do that to me, but the headache was gone. He said my skull was literally sitting crooked on my spine, and was hung up there.

Fitness definitely helps with back pain, but 70% of people have back pain in their lives also as a result of evolution ... our backs are still not up to handling us walking upright for 70-80+ years.

DZorn00
10-10-2007, 14:45

FD

I'm glad it worked out for you. One of my good friends had a bad experience when he when to a chiropractor, went a total of 4 times for similar situation, but his back pain was considerably worse after each treatment.

I love chiropractors, My daughter has been going to ne since she was 9 months old, I go about once every couple of months. You have to go alot at first then it gets spread out. I have a pinched cyatic nerve on my right side and the Chiro helps out tremendesly, When you first start going it does hurt more. Your body is not used to being in the correct position. Just keep going on schedule and you will definately notice a difference.

bellbadboy
10-10-2007, 16:15
Most of the pain that guys feel is from their wallets and sitting on them at work, home and in the car. I finally stopped carrying one after it dawned on me that everytime I got back from vacation my back was great. I never carried a wallet on trips and my back would realign itself while I was away.
As for being in shape, pick up a 20 lb weight and imagine carrying that around your waist in the front just pulling on your back. I was out of shape and when the pounds came off, I really felt light and could move my body almost effortlessly. A good eating program and some time on an elipticle machine will do wonders.

highdesert
10-10-2007, 20:15
[/QUOTE]I'm glad it worked out for you. One of my good friends had a bad experience when he when to a chiropractor, went a total of 4 times for similar situation, but his back pain was considerably worse after each treatment.[/QUOTE]

Chiropractic is not a cure-all; there are certainly back conditions that it is not appropriate for. But in my opinion it is silly to dismiss it as a possible help to relieve back pain (or arm/hip/leg pain) without exploring it.

cutter77
01-11-2008, 23:56
Do the "crunch" exercise...(where you try to touch your backbone with your bellybutton).

It forms an "inner brace" of muscles that will strengthen your back AND make you look good too.

Best of all, you can do it waiting in line at the grocery store or sitting at a desk.

MLenyo
01-12-2008, 01:04
Most of the pain that guys feel is from their wallets and sitting on them at work, home and in the car...

i don't carry a regular wallet anymore. i have a small wallet with just credit cards/ID that i carry around in my front pocket. it's great! and when you get one of those little wallets/credit card holders you can't fill them up with receipts, movie stubs, etc..

cummings66
01-12-2008, 07:28
Since the thread has come alive again I'll clarify my statements. I do think a chiropractor helps, in fact I go to one more than I'd like to. From what I understand, and have experienced, a deep massage isn't simply a muscle workout, it's got a lot of hard movements to it and during that my back cracks just like the chiropractor.

For what it's worth, I have a ruptured disk in my upper back, rare I'm told due to it's location. Not that long ago I was at work and it started feeling bad, I didn't even do anything. By the time 3 hours passed I was hurting so bad that I came home and went straight to bed. By the next morning I couldn't get out of bed and had to have my wife pull me out of it, she supported me and I took a VERY hot bath hoping it would loosen me up. She ended up helping me out of the tub because I couldn't get out.

At this point I'm clean but can't even dress myself, so she gets me dressed and we head to the car slowly. I'm kind of sad about what my 5 year old experienced, seeing me in so much pain. Physically I was shaking like a leaf, sweaty, pale looking, breathing very rapid, pulse was rapid, talked in gasps, and had tears wetting my face.

We went to the chiropractor and when he touched me, touch only to feel me I screamed but told him to continue, but do to the pain my muscles were spasming so bad that he couldn't do anything for me and he said I needed a muscle relaxant before he could help me. So off to the doctors I went. My 5 year old by the way heard my loud cries when he touched me and kept saying why is that man hurting my dad. She was very upset at what was happening to me.

So at the doctors office they thought I was having a heart attack and shaved me down and gave me an EKG, then X rayed me, and then said they carried no pain killers strong enough to help. I told them I needed no pain killers that bad, at most take the edge off. So they prescribed something and gave me the muscle relaxers. I took them and shortly after got back to the chiropractor, it hurt like the devil but the muscle relaxers helped me enough that he could manipulate me, and over the course of 4 days I got better again. It took me 2 days to walk on my own by the way.

So yes, I know they can help but I am not convinced that they actually move bones. Lets just say mine does good work and I always feel better coming out than going in. A girl at work feels worse coming out, same chiropractor so I think it's the person. For me I have a high tolerance of pain and when I go I'm hurting so bad that little could be done to me that would make me feel worse, probably why I feel better.

See that little girl in my avatar, that's Elizabeth and she's 5 now. was 4 then. She looks up to me like I'm a hero and she never knew until then that I could be so helpless. She took care of me, really she did. She come into our bedroom and brought me stuff, patted me on the back and told me she'd help me get better. She's amazing.

whse56
01-12-2008, 10:00
Have you ever noticed that most of the times that you pull a muscle in your back it's when you are picking up something that doesn't weigh anything. Rarely does it happen when you are picking up a fridge or something like that.