PDA

View Full Version : AOW training

WAHMof2
02-15-2008, 09:47
The hubby and I are doing AOW as soon as the weather (water) warms a tad. The hard part is deciding on the electives! What did you guys take? Why?

Chad
02-15-2008, 10:03
My favorite was DPV (scooter). It was by far the most fun dive of the weekend.

KGNickl
02-15-2008, 11:11
I think it depends on where you will dive and what you like. So it could change from person to person and from location to location. For some crazy reason the shop in Florida said I couldn't choose ice diving or drysuit diving for my AOW that I'm taking next month :smiley2:.

mwhities
02-15-2008, 11:19
Night, deep, wreck, S&Recovery, Buoyancy and dry suit. (I'll take my AOW in April, you two should come to Florida and take it with me. :))

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
02-15-2008, 11:39
My dives were peak buoyancy, underwater nav, night, deep, and wreck. They were not electives since the shop I used did not offer any alternatives. I think it might be quite common not to offer choices since everyone in the class will have to do the same dives, so you should check with your shop to see what choices you have.

pyre24
02-15-2008, 12:28
My dives were peak buoyancy, underwater nav, night, deep, and wreck. They were not electives since the shop I used did not offer any alternatives. I think it might be quite common not to offer choices since everyone in the class will have to do the same dives, so you should check with your shop to see what choices you have.
Thats the same as what my dive shop said mine will be. Ill get to do mine in March. April is Search and Rescue.

cummings66
02-15-2008, 12:42
If you have a choice, based on where you live, do Drysuit, Deep, Navigation, Night, and Buoyancy.

I'm not sure, but I don't think you get to choose all 5, I think almost all of them require nav and deep and allow you to choose the other 3. However, those are the ones I'd do.

CompuDude
02-15-2008, 12:51
In 1989, the class was run a bit differently than it is today.

I would always recommend Peak Performance Buoyancy, UW Nav, Night, S&R and Deep, however, as the most useful.

IMO, while it sounds cool, the wreck specialty choice in AOW doesn't give you enough info to even remotely safely wreck dive. Take the full specialty course if you're really interested in wrecks. Or better still, take it from an agency that teaches a better course.

Illini_Fan
02-15-2008, 13:15
My electives were, photography, DPV and non-pen wreck.

I would recommend the wreck elective since it provides some good rules about how to examine a wreck for dangers and some other things I hadn't thought about.

DPV might have been more fun if the visibility was greater than 5 feet.

Photography was not very useful. I was hopping to get some some fairly detailed instruction about using the camera in an UW environment, instead it was; "go take pictures of 4 different types of fish"

Our required classes were: Deep, night and nav. Nav is excellent

SkuaSeptember
02-15-2008, 14:41
Around here we usually go with the required nav and deep, wreck because thats where the deep is, S&R to find the lost and because its a good prelim to rescue and then night cuz its cool!
For a drysuit orientation go to a DOG days event or hint strongly at your LDS that you might be interested in buying one.

UCFKnightDiver
02-15-2008, 15:19
my dives will hopefully be deep nav Search and recovery peak preformance buoyancy and night

MLenyo
02-15-2008, 18:02
i've been hearing a lot of people on the board mention how good PPB is, so i might do that instead of wreck or s&r..

KGNickl
02-15-2008, 19:28
i've been hearing a lot of people on the board mention how good PPB is, so i might do that instead of wreck or s&r..
I've noticed the same. I will be doing Deep, Nav, Wreck, Photo, and boat. But I might just switch out boat for PPB.

terrillja
02-15-2008, 19:41
My favorite was DPV (scooter). It was by far the most fun dive of the weekend.
Did you use a real deal scooter like an x-scooter or was it a little pool scooter? The LDS near me which does a dpv specialty uses the weak seadoos for the class, not even the explorers.

terrillja
02-15-2008, 19:45
I did night, u/w nav, night, deep, and fish id. The fish id was kinda worthless but also interesting since the site I was surveying was part of a USVI monitoring site, so my records were used with other divers to determine the health of the reef. I agree with others though, do what is applicable in your environment.

terrillja
02-15-2008, 19:46
I've noticed the same. I will be doing Deep, Nav, Wreck, Photo, and boat. But I might just switch out boat for PPB.
Boat to me is a joke specialty. If you dive off a boat enough you will have learned all the procedures that the class would teach you.

CompuDude
02-15-2008, 21:54

Around here, the boat specialty is the butt of many jokes.

As to how good PPB is, in theory, it's a fantastic specialty and arguable one of the most important you can take. In reality, however, it's only as good as the instructor who teaches it. I've seen instructors go strictly by the book, asking for minimums only, and turn out students that hardly had any benefit, and I've seen instructors really work each student until they had it nailed, turning out excellent divers in the process.

KGNickl
02-16-2008, 17:19

Around here, the boat specialty is the butt of many jokes.

As to how good PPB is, in theory, it's a fantastic specialty and arguable one of the most important you can take. In reality, however, it's only as good as the instructor who teaches it. I've seen instructors go strictly by the book, asking for minimums only, and turn out students that hardly had any benefit, and I've seen instructors really work each student until they had it nailed, turning out excellent divers in the process.
Thats a good point. Not sure how the instructor is that I will have, but the reviews I've heard a +. But that is more enjoyment reviews vs. technical reviews.

texdiveguy
02-16-2008, 17:45
Nav
Deep
_______
Night
PBB
S&R

newways
02-16-2008, 22:41
Bouyancy (best choice imo)
Drysuit
Wreck

Duckydiver
02-19-2008, 11:05
In my AOW we did Bouyancy, Nav, Night, Deep, and Wreck. On the last day we all did another bouyancy dive to fine finish the bouyancy specalty. That was the Most usefull class I I done yet.

Don

RoyN
02-19-2008, 14:13
Took Night, Buoyancy, naturalist and I forgot the rest....

maggs_the
02-19-2008, 14:51
i got certified thru SSI instead of PADI and i think they do it a little different...

i took navigation, night & limited viz and nitrox but had to also have First Aid & CPR and a certain number of dives (i think) before i could be AOW.

i also took photography but it was just because i wanted to.

oh, and BOAT DIVING but for that, they just gave us the booklet and 10 questions and said it was mostly about etiquette but it still "counted" for my AOW requirements.

rye_a
02-19-2008, 16:21
Altitude (because I live in Colorado)
Drysuit (because I live in Colorado)
Buoyancy (you can never be too good)

Athena2c
02-19-2008, 20:47
The way the course I took was laid out, I really didn't have much choice.
Navigation, deep, night and boat were included, and then we had one choice. I took peak buoyancy-figured that was the skill I could take anywhere :smiley20: