PDA

View Full Version : Raccoons -

Moxie
07-30-2007, 05:25
We have a family of raccoons that keep coming around. Tonight at 11:00 they started ripping at my screen door trying to get at my cat. I scared them off and they came back around 2 am or so. They have completely trashed the screen door.

Good thing I had the glass door shut or they would be in my house. For some reason they are fascinated with my cat. I have no idea why as she is an indoor cat only. Attempts to trap have been unsuccessful.

Anyone have any (legal) ideas?

Krakenn
07-30-2007, 06:25
Yeah, you need a Tasmanian Devil.
Problemo solved!

Kraks

DUnder
07-30-2007, 07:25
A good flashlight and a high power air gun should take care of the problem. Do you live in town? You could call animal control they should be able to help you.

JahJahwarrior
07-30-2007, 07:52
Solution (http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/264/Barbecue_Raccoon9749.shtml)

the gooch
07-30-2007, 08:13
Solution (http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/264/Barbecue_Raccoon9749.shtml)

That is nasty, but effective.

loudgonzo
07-30-2007, 08:14
make friends with The Clampetts...(beverly hillbillies)

awap
07-30-2007, 08:49
I've had good luck live trapping them with a trap similar to these: http://www.victorpest.com/canada/traps.asp The traps was about $80 but has been doing the job for about 5 years now. At first I tried relocating them (which is illeagle in many places) but even with 10 mile trips some seemed to recognise me. Now it's off to the compost pile. Canned sardines are my normal bait. But if you get a wise one, it may take a better bait (like shrimp) and an inovative trigger to get them. This year I actually got a lot of fruit from my trees.

Moxie
07-30-2007, 08:50
Love everyone's solutions. They had me up at 11, 2 and 4. Pest control won't take them off your property - what kind of garbage is that???? The traps are going up again tonight. I'm using my cat as bait. Well putting the traps by where she looks out the window anyway. If I get one I'll post pics.

Moxie
07-30-2007, 08:53
I've had good luck live trapping them with a trap similar to these: http://www.victorpest.com/canada/traps.asp The traps was about $80 but has been doing the job for about 5 years now. At first I tried relocating them (which is illeagle in many places) but even with 10 mile trips some seemed to recognise me. Now it's off to the compost pile. Canned sardines are my normal bait. But if you get a wise one, it may take a better bait (like shrimp) and an inovative trigger to get them. This year I actually got a lot of fruit from my trees.

Momma's babies were caught last year and we have got one of four this year. She is pretty smart now and avoiding the trap. There were lobster heads in it too.

We think she might be keeping them under the deck so we shall be also trying to place traps there. Hope no cats come around in the middle of the night!

WaterRat
07-30-2007, 09:20
I never knew how good they were at jumping. I saw one a couple of days ago leap about 4 foot in the air, grabbed onto a slick metal gate to get in a dumpster. :smiley3:

Ron

Moxie
07-30-2007, 11:23
They are nasty, nasty creatures. Mean too. Momma last night was growling away at us.

Foo2
07-30-2007, 11:42
That's disgusting JahJah!

Sorry Moxie, no ideas here except investing in a good shotgun...

JahJahwarrior
07-30-2007, 12:54
a youth pastor of a friend of mine once told the story of raccoons at his house. He got fed up with them. One night he was awaked by the raccoon, once again eating his cat's food on the porch. He very very quietly snuck up and threw open the back door, running and yelling at this animal who was sitting by the stairs eating catfood.....and in one graceful motion his foot swept forwards towards the raccoon like you always see in soccer movies, where the guy makes the winning kick from the completely opposite side of the field...this was one strong kick! And the raccoon jumped out of the way and he broke his big toe when his foot hit instead a railing. Ouch.

So now he uses a .22 to kick them from inside of the house. There are benefits to living in the country :)

TAH 73
07-30-2007, 21:48
Painball gun.
Pellet gun.

Black-Gorrilla
07-30-2007, 21:49
go to pellet... paintball is messy!!

Moxie
07-30-2007, 22:19
Well the trap is set with some lobster heads and stinky oysters. It smells like a garbage bin in the back of seafood restaurant. Big momma and her babies (what's left of em) will hopefully come around 11 pm or so.

The cops on the street are well aware of what's going on so I don't anticipate any problems. Now all is left is to wait.

WaterRat
07-30-2007, 22:39
Here Raccoon :rocketQ3:

:smiley36:

georoc01
07-31-2007, 09:20
My neighbor would scare them off with her pomaranians. Those little dogs weren't afraid in the least. I was convinced the coons would tear them apart but instead they eventually moved on.

Moxie
07-31-2007, 09:29
Didn't get any last night. Trap will be up again tonight.

Krakenn
07-31-2007, 23:57
Thus the world now waits for stories of Racoons in Canada

Smiles

Krak

Moxie
08-01-2007, 08:54
It's pathetic that the darn things are smarter than me! They KNOW I'm after them and are teasing me. I now understand why people go crazy trying to get these things.

We have 5 houses trying to catch them and they are escaping us each night. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

awap
08-01-2007, 11:04
I don't think it is that they are smarter - they just have more to lose. Time to get innovative. Assuming you are using a live trap, wire the door open and feed them for a few nights so they get confident and abandon caution. I had to rig a 2nd trigger using a bait hanging down in the back of the trap rather than the std lever trigger to catch some. That also worked better on stray cats and foxes which I released. The racoons take a .22 in the head. They don't die easy.

It took me a couple hours to get a fox out of the trap one day. He just didn't recognise the open door until I provided a trail of baloney leading out of the trap. I'm still not sure whether he was that dumb or that smart.

thor
08-01-2007, 11:09
I feel for you. We had a family of Raccoons nest under our living room. It sounds like hell spawn fighting when they go at it. We trapped them, and now 6 months later, we have another Racoon in the same place. We trie to seal off any entrance, but they burrowed under the fencing we put up.

torrey
08-01-2007, 11:19
Those things are very cunning for sure. Once when camping at Tyler State Park many years ago, a friend and I had 2 small tents - one for sleeping and one for keeping food and other stuff in. We saw several roaming around at night...not scared in the least when we would shine the flashlights on them. We went to sleep knowing we couldn't stop them from roaming and thinking our stuff would be safe. Next morning we found the second tent UNZIPPED. We kept everything in the cooler for safety's sake. Well, the cooler had been unlatched, bread removed with a few slices missing from one end only, and we were missing about 1/2 a pack of bologna. I swear they came in and made some sandwiches. The only sign that it wasn't humans was the gnawed hole in the bread bag. They left no other tracks except for the lid removed from a nearby garbage can.

awap
08-01-2007, 11:32
Those things are very cunning for sure.

Yes. Those cunning runts can be very hard to catch.

Foo2
08-01-2007, 12:02
Moxie, any luck with those little suckers yet?

Foo2
08-01-2007, 12:03
Oh shoot. I just saw your post from this morning...duh.

Moxie
08-01-2007, 22:15
Trying one more time tonight. If it doesn't work, we go to plan B. What that is I'm not so sure yet.

Krakenn
08-03-2007, 04:29
Those Raccoons sound like Possums.

Hey Mox, can you make me one of those Daniel Boon hats please

Kraks

Krakenn
08-05-2007, 23:33
Hmmm, Im starting to think we lost Mox to the Raccoons or the Orcas.

Kraks

Black-Gorrilla
08-05-2007, 23:53
shoot them things already...
i can imagine how bad it is...
i've had a cricket by one of the doors at our house (between all of the damn rooms too!!) and i havent slept for days.
we tried to hose him (were the sounds came from) multiple times... hit it with a broom (seems to be under where the shutters go)
then today... the SOB came out... trew him in a noisy neighbors yard!

quarrydiver
08-30-2007, 23:00
Hate to take the side of the raccoons but I had one as a pet when in HS. She ate dinner at the table in a high chair- very curious, lovable and and stubborn. Good luck, ours was smart and if she wanted something, nothing would stop her.

Krakenn
08-30-2007, 23:37
Smiles, I sure do miss ole Moxie.
I guess she dived with them Killer Whales just once too often.

Kraks

dmdoss
08-30-2007, 23:42
Didn't get any last night. Trap will be up again tonight.

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Were you talking about raccoons?

Krakenn
08-30-2007, 23:46
She probably was didn't she mention somewhere earlier that her SO had size 16 feet?

Kraks

Charlotte Smith
08-31-2007, 05:08
We have a family of raccoons that keep coming around. Tonight at 11:00 they started ripping at my screen door trying to get at my cat. I scared them off and they came back around 2 am or so. They have completely trashed the screen door.

Good thing I had the glass door shut or they would be in my house. For some reason they are fascinated with my cat. I have no idea why as she is an indoor cat only. Attempts to trap have been unsuccessful.

Anyone have any (legal) ideas?
We are having the same problems here in Arkansas....because of the late freeze...the fruit trees and bushes didn't bear fruit this year and the racoons are eating ALOT of our cattle feed out of the calf feeders not to mention the BIG no-no...they are eating out of the automatic deer feeders(for those animal lovers out there, we only take mature big bucks to keep pop. regulated) and we have cameras out there to see where they are. Out of all of the feeders...we have counted up to 10 racoons on one feeder and at least 7 on the other.....trapping isn't working for us either so we are sneaking out at night to remove them and you can only use your imagination.....I won't post it so those pets won't be upset. Good luck....

Osprey
08-31-2007, 09:16
The raccoons found a way around our "critter proof bird feeder". One would sit on top of the tree branch and push it to the side, the other raccoon would hang on the trunk, with his hand extended, getting fist fulls of seeds as they fell to earth...

Raccoons are problem solvers. Since they have seen the trap, they're probably scared to get inside of it. We've had them pick locks, and they've gotten into the neighbor's horse feed that way (picked the lock to the door, then undid the hinges to the feed barrel!)

You could try those mats for dogs that make noise. They are for dogs you don't want on your couch, carpet, etc. When they step in the area, it emits a high frequency squeal that should shoo them away. You could also use fly paper to frustrate them and make things sticky around the door. Just keep a step ahead of them, eventually it'll be too much effort to come to your house!

awap
08-31-2007, 09:53
Yes, they do get trap smart. But they also get hungry. I watched them work on a number of devices ment to defeat them. They are nothing if not persistent and innovative. So I keep my trap mobile and varied. Beside the factory designed trigger mechanism, I have developed other varied triggers that seem to work.

Unfortunately, I stopped relocating them. Besides being illegal in TX, I was pretty sure some of them were starting to recognize me. I actually got some fruit from my trees this year.

cudachaser
08-31-2007, 10:14
I had raccoons in my attic...Tried everything, traps animal control etc. Then someone recommended to keep a light on and play loud rap music...Tried it and they were gone within 2 hours never to return!

finflippers
08-31-2007, 10:35
You could try those mats for dogs that make noise. They are for dogs you don't want on your couch, carpet, etc. When they step in the area, it emits a high frequency squeal that should shoo them away. You could also use fly paper to frustrate them and make things sticky around the door. Just keep a step ahead of them, eventually it'll be too much effort to come to your house!

Either that or you will decide it is too much effort to get rid of them and claim them as pets.:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie40:

but I do hope you luck on getting rid of them and if you do get them trapped be very careful when trying to remove them they are really mean.

divinjen
08-31-2007, 12:46
I don't know how true it is but i've always heard that raccoons once they grab something never let it go... and that the best way to trap them was rig a bow so they could stick their paws in but can't pull them out- like a catfish box kinda (where they swim in but can't swim out)

This could be just my wild redneck neighbors talking garbage but I sure fell for it! I don't have raccoons but I have an armadillo that comes everynight to visit! I used to be disgusted by them, but they are pretty cool to me now!

kevinj1
08-31-2007, 15:22
I hate to say this, but---the gun might be the only solution. I am not telling you to kill everything in your way---BUT...
The first night you might just want to shoot a round off and see if that scares thgem away pemanently---if not, take it to the next level.

scuba Widow
08-31-2007, 16:17

Either that or you will decide it is too much effort to get rid of them and claim them as pets.:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie40:

but I do hope you luck on getting rid of them and if you do get them trapped be very careful when trying to remove them they are really mean.

Yes good luck...but beware of their bite...working in the animal clinic I have seen a lot of rabies cases lately.

torrey
08-31-2007, 16:27
Yes good luck...but beware of their bite...working in the animal clinic I have seen a lot of rabies cases lately.

My brother was bitten by a rabid dog once. It took a while for the test to come back positive and by that time he only had a short window to get the vaccine. Then come to find out the nearest vaccine was several hours away and in short supply. It's kind of a scary situation when you think that your life is travelling in a vehicle which could be in a wreck or end up stolen or perhaps the medicine might be mis-labeled, etc. He finally got the treatment on the last day of his window, and he said it was very expensive and painful.

scuba Widow
08-31-2007, 16:33

My brother was bitten by a rabid dog once. It took a while for the test to come back positive and by that time he only had a short window to get the vaccine. Then come to find out the nearest vaccine was several hours away and in short supply. It's kind of a scary situation when you think that your life is travelling in a vehicle which could be in a wreck or end up stolen or perhaps the medicine might be mis-labeled, etc. He finally got the treatment on the last day of his window, and he said it was very expensive and painful.

I'm glad to hear that he is ok. It is a very scary thing to have to deal with,and the agony of waiting for the results is just as bad as the vaccines.

Liv7301
08-31-2007, 18:52
If your pain in all of this raccoon stories. We and my parents have been having problems with squirrels...they have infiltrated our attics, empty the bird feeders, and we have noticed that when the squirrel population goes crazy we also noticed a sharp drop in the rabbits that would come into the yard to nibble. The chipmunks have started to burrow around their well area too.

My parents finally resorted to shooting them. We live in town and rent so an exterminator had to come and then maintenance came to seal up their entry points. It was bad though...they would fight, roll around, and knock each other into the over head air ducts.

scuba Widow
08-31-2007, 18:57
Right now we are having a mouse problem...Any suggestions?

ScubaToys Larry
08-31-2007, 19:10

Cat? Too easy!

We have 2 barn cats, and 2 house cats... and the only time I see a mouse is in a cats mouth.

scuba Widow
08-31-2007, 19:37

Cat? Too easy!

We have 2 barn cats, and 2 house cats... and the only time I see a mouse is in a cats mouth.

Not really we have a cat aggressive dog... won't work....sorry

awap
08-31-2007, 19:39

Cat? Too easy!

Not really we have a cat aggressive dog... won't work....sorry

Why don't you dress the mice up to look like cats.

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 19:43
get the cat fixed, might be in heat.

scuba Widow
08-31-2007, 19:44
we are trying a trap with peanut butter right now...any other suggestions?

scuba Widow
08-31-2007, 19:45
we don't own a cat...the dog would attack it.

Osprey
08-31-2007, 19:52
Peanut butter traps are great! That's all we use, keeps them from making nests in the tractor... I hear they enjoy cereal too

scubasamurai
08-31-2007, 19:53
thought you said you had a cat sorry. misread. i find that you lay down a garabage can with a trap inside hidden under plently of crap trash, might work. they love tight spaces and digging. good luck

pnevai
08-31-2007, 21:38
Had a coon problem once. I could not figure out how they were getting into the garage so one day I took flower and sprinkled it all over the driveway around the garage. And viola in the morining there were little paw prints all over leaving a trail which way they came and went. So I hosed off the flour and then after the drive was dry, I sprinkled a dusting of Boric Acid powder all over the areas the paw prints were. Boric Acid is mostly harmless except to ants. Anyway coons like to keep clean. The next morning there were paw prints in the boric acid powder all over the place. BOY they must have had a surprise when they licked their paws clean that night! Long story short a few days of that treatment they decided to terrorize someone elses house. Because they never came back. Took care of an ant problem at the same time.

quarrydiver
09-10-2007, 20:57
just watched a show about problem raccoons and squirrels. hope you don't have as much grief as these people did. At least they haven't torn holes in your roof.