PDA

View Full Version : Any Old timers? Need Help.....+

Goober
02-15-2008, 16:19
So, feeling pretty crappy. The one thing that always makes me feel better in the morning, is a toddy. My grandfather always made them with corn liquor, honey, lemon and sprite. Nuc it till it is good and hot and boom!

So I've got the ingredients, although while I was choosing them I had a few questions......

The lemons...got the organic ones. Seemed free of pesticides couldn't hurt.

The honey,.... knowing how bees are sprayed I went organic as well......but, is clover or orange blossom better? I choose orange blossom, as it seemed a bit more clear and free of wax and sediment. I used to rent from an old hay farmer in Lizella that could clear this up in a heart beat...but....that would be a very long phone call and I'm just not up for it.

Is one better than the other health wise?

As I've not made corn liquior in years...(some things are passed down....yes I can...and yes it's clear as water when I do), A Mr. John Daniels is prefered.

My inquiry is with the honey....can anyone enlighten me?

MLenyo
02-15-2008, 17:56
i'll try to give my chef friend a call and let you know what he says.

Garrobo
02-15-2008, 19:18
GOOBER::Uhhhhh, bees are sprayed? NOT. Being a beekeeper for the last 35 years I can assure you that the owners of the honeybee colonies will do their dambdest to make sure that their bees aren't sprayed. Being as a colony of bees is worth upwards of $200 today and that ANY spraying will kill this colony off I am sure that the majority of people would understand this scary situation. Also, contrary to advertisers' BS, there is no such thing as 'organic' or 'Amish' honey. I know of no bees who go around with either a beard and straw hat or only take nectar and pollen from organically-grown crops. They are very indiscriminate about where or what they collect. Whatever's blooming nearby that day will do the trick. Clover nectar and orange blossom nectar are the same things except for a slightly discernable difference in flavor. 'Clover' honey is usually that nectar which the bees are bringing in throughout the summer from all types of flowering plants and trees unless it is taken around a very large clover field where the plant is left to bloom so as to be combined for seed. Most clover is mown as animal feed before the plant goes into full bloom because that is the time when the protien is the highest so you get a very small crop, if any, from it. Finally, where I come from, a real man would just take a shooter (or two) of corn in the morning with out all the fancy-mancy stuff.

KGNickl
02-15-2008, 19:25
Your really going all out on making this! I have no clue what it is, but sounds interesting. As far as honey goes I just buy the cheap stuff thats in a bottle shaped like a bear.

Suther2136
02-15-2008, 20:01
Yea, what Garrobo said!

Goober
02-15-2008, 20:16
GOOBER::Uhhhhh, bees are sprayed? NOT. Being a beekeeper for the last 35 years I can assure you that the owners of the honeybee colonies will do their dambdest to make sure that their bees aren't sprayed. Being as a colony of bees is worth upwards of $200 today and that ANY spraying will kill this colony off I am sure that the majority of people would understand this scary situation. Also, contrary to advertisers' BS, there is no such thing as 'organic' or 'Amish' honey. I know of no bees who go around with either a beard and straw hat or only take nectar and pollen from organically-grown crops. They are very indiscriminate about where or what they collect. Whatever's blooming nearby that day will do the trick. Clover nectar and orange blossom nectar are the same things except for a slightly discernable difference in flavor. 'Clover' honey is usually that nectar which the bees are bringing in throughout the summer from all types of flowering plants and trees unless it is taken around a very large clover field where the plant is left to bloom so as to be combined for seed. Most clover is mown as animal feed before the plant goes into full bloom because that is the time when the protien is the highest so you get a very small crop, if any, from it. Finally, where I come from, a real man would just take a shooter (or two) of corn in the morning with out all the fancy-mancy stuff.

Mercy people in here are getting to the point where they like to jump to conclusions and lash out! I realize that bees are not sprayed with insecticides. But I have seen for years how they are fogged when they are handled. Being ignorant to what this is I made an educated guess. Sorry if it offended you a bee keeper of 35 years, Garrabo. But just the facts will do just fine out of you if you are going to respond. I'm already feeling like **** and do not need to have a stick poked at a coiled up rattle snake. All I asked was for the health properties of the two different honeys. If this is not information you can deliver than please refrain from the sarcastic remarks.

dallasdivergirl
02-15-2008, 20:33
goober,

sorry you aren't feeling good still.

I hope you get to feeling better soon so you can get your off shore dives done.

Goober
02-15-2008, 20:45
goober,

sorry you aren't feeling good still.

I hope you get to feeling better soon so you can get your off shore dives done.

Now that is support! Thank you punkin. Hope you are doing well! Thanks for your kindness.:smiley31:

johnyringo
02-15-2008, 21:44
Hey Goober, sorry your feelin' down dude. I'm thinkin' shooters too, but considering the health benefits of corn liqueur, I dont think the honey makes much difference. I'm partial to the orange blossom myself.

cummings66
02-15-2008, 22:09
I've had the drink you're talking about and to be honest you'll feel just as well if you drink a fifth of Canadian Mist. There's nothing magical about a Hot Toddy, but they do taste better than Canadian Mist and that's probably the best benefit.

Your body will recover at it's own pace, and sad to say what seems to be hitting the state right now takes about a week to clear. I've got many buddies down with it and they're getting over it slowly. I'll wish you the best and hope you do better, take some vitamins and drink lots of water, that's your best chance of getting it out of your system. Then be anal about everything, wash your hands, use gloves when touching door knobs, don't use public phones. Never touch your mouth, eyes, etc. That's what I've been doing and so far, knock on wood, I'm fine while family members have come down with it. I'm either lucky or it's working, probably a bit of both.

As to honey, get what you can find. It won't make any difference in the final product and you'll enjoy it just the same.

MSilvia
02-16-2008, 07:41
there is no such thing as 'organic' honey. I know of no bees who only take nectar and pollen from organically-grown crops. They are very indiscriminate about where or what they collect. Whatever's blooming nearby that day will do the trick.
Honey certainly can be made exclusively from a single type of flower or organic crop, but it usually takes an enclosed apiary (greenhouse with bee hive) to make sure the bees don't collect pollen from other plants. I personally prefer the taste of clover honey, and DEFINITELY notice a difference between pure clover honey and "free range" honey, but I'm not aware of a significant health difference between clover and orange blossom.

If you really want to go all out and get the honey with maximum health benefits though, you want to order some active UMF Manuka blossom honey from New Zealand. It's a rich, black honey that has many of the same curative properties as aloe (Varicose and Skin Ulcers, Wounds, Burns, Boils, Pressure Sores, Cracked Skin, Acne, Atopic Eczema) if applied externally, and it's antibacterial. It's supposedly good for ulcers, as one of the bacteria it's effective against is helicobacter pylori, and it's good for sore throats, strep, staph, and other nasty infections. There's quite a bit of research supporting those claims... it's not just wishful thinking and wive's tales. It's also reputed to be energizing (it's sugar, duh).

I've heard of people adding it to bath water for a soak, and it's good on toast too. Of course, it'll run you a bit more than the cheap stuff in the plastic bear.

Also, I believe the "fogging" you referred to is smoke, but I'm not a bee keeper.

Garrobo
02-16-2008, 08:11
GOOBER::Didn't mean to make you think that I was being sarcastic or trying to hurt our feelings. I wasn't. Sorry if you took it that way.You said 'sprayed' and I gave you the one up on spraying plus some useful informatin about bee culture. You probably were talking about a beekeeper using a smoker to settle the bees down. Don't be so danged touchy, Dude.

Garrobo
02-16-2008, 08:16
MSilvia::Your greenhouse would have to be about 10 acres under glass to be large enough for a colony (about 60,000) of bees to get a crop off of it and the bloom would have to be at least a month for them to do it. One honeybee will collect enough nectar to make 1/25 ounce of honey over it's lifetime of six weeks, half of which it will spend it it's hive maintaining newly hatched bees. How's that for some useless information?

WAHMof2
02-16-2008, 08:50
Wow! Everything you ever wanted to know about bees, honey, and more. :smiley36:
Hope ya get feeling better Goober!

cummings66
02-16-2008, 21:45
I know this much, I as a young kid used to help my Pastor with his bee's. He had lots of hives all over the place and to be honest, it terrified me to go there with him. He's smoke the bee's and take things easy, me, I was thinking I'm going to dive any moment with 10,000 bee stings.

I never did get stung, but I will tell you this much. It takes a lot of guts to do what they do. More than I have at any rate.

MSilvia
02-19-2008, 15:25
MSilvia::Your greenhouse would have to be about 10 acres under glass to be large enough for a colony (about 60,000) of bees to get a crop off of it and the bloom would have to be at least a month for them to do it.
Hmmm... I saw a facility outside of Taupo, New Zealand that had much smaller greenhouses like spokes off of a central building, each housing a different flowering plant. I had assumed that that was the source of their honey, but if what you say is true they must have had something more substantial going on at a different site, as they had enough to support a retail operation and mead brewery.

Goober
02-19-2008, 17:09
So after more than a week of trying to let this thing run it's course, I finally hit the Dr. yesterday. Come to find out I've had a sinus infection, that was continually getting worse. Dr. told me it was pretty severe.

And all this time I thought I had the Flu. Geezz...what a Goob. Thanks for all the get well wishes. It meant a lot, I promise.

cummings66
02-19-2008, 17:52
I bet you had a good time with the drink though, and it couldn't have hurt you in any way.

Flush those sinuses, neilmed works pretty good by the way.