PDA

View Full Version : Mythbusters

MicahEW
02-16-2008, 14:14
I just finished watching Mythbusters. They were disproving the movie Jaws. They were doing the myth of the tank in the sharks mouth and the tanks exploding. I was bummed majorly that was the best part of the movie. I wonder if it would have worked on an O2 tank rather than air?

newways
02-16-2008, 14:20
I doubt it would work without a source of ignition.

CompuDude
02-16-2008, 15:41
Doubtful if o2 would make much difference. On an episode just a couple of weeks ago, they shot propane tanks (talk about flammable!) and the bullet hitting the tank was not enough to make it explode (in a fireball, at least), no matter what Bond movies would have you believe. I figure if a gunshot ripping through a propane tank isn't going to give you a fireball (unless you are using explosive rounds, go figure), it's probably not likely to work with an oxygen tank, either.

To mix some crazy metaphors, movie magic is great, but without that suspension of disbelief, the man behind the curtain is all too visible.

KGNickl
02-16-2008, 17:22
Gotta love mythbusters! First the 5 second food rule and now this. Whats next?

pyre24
02-16-2008, 19:50
I love that show! Explosives to make waves, airplane on a conveyor belt. Poor Buster.

MicahEW
02-16-2008, 22:25
I have thought about getting some of the shock stickers that they use so frequently to put in my checked luggage when I travel.

St.jimmy
02-17-2008, 00:20
Shockwatch™ - Uline (http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_1053.asp?searchedkeywords=g%20force )
Pretty expensive, but worth it I guess. Would suck if you got it and they were all triggered! :)

Tableleg
02-17-2008, 12:36
When crates come into the shop with the reusable tipping lables, I find funny places to stick them. I never thought about putting them on my luggage though. = )

MicahEW
02-17-2008, 20:47
Shockwatch™ - Uline (http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_1053.asp?searchedkeywords=g%20force )
Pretty expensive, but worth it I guess. Would suck if you got it and they were all triggered! :)

Yeah they are expensive but so is diving equipment and if they get triggered I would be LIVID!

Mtrewyn
02-17-2008, 23:15

Yeah they are expensive but so is diving equipment and if they get triggered I would be LIVID!

What would you do? I really don't think you would get anyone to take responsibility for tripping them, The airlines barley take responsibility for loosing luggage, much less damage. :smiley5:

MicahEW
02-18-2008, 00:22

What would you do? I really don't think you would get anyone to take responsibility for tripping them, The airlines barley take responsibility for loosing luggage, much less damage. :smiley5:

That is probably true but the thing they hate most is an annoying irate person.

Doug B
02-18-2008, 18:57
I used to put the G-meter stickers on all of my shipments from work for about a year. I was shipping 300lb crates all over the country, about 20 crates, every week.

Normally the 50-G's stickers were always "tripped". Sometimes the 75-G stickers were tripped. We put the stickers in all three axis - and they were all normally tripped.

This was normally shipment via truck, but sometimes air ship.

MicahEW
02-19-2008, 13:31
I used to put the G-meter stickers on all of my shipments from work for about a year. I was shipping 300lb crates all over the country, about 20 crates, every week.

Normally the 50-G's stickers were always "tripped". Sometimes the 75-G stickers were tripped. We put the stickers in all three axis - and they were all normally tripped.

This was normally shipment via truck, but sometimes air ship.

thats a lot of force on a crate. was there typically any damage?