PDA

View Full Version : Finger Lakes update

cummings66
02-16-2008, 22:25
One of the secret places my buddy and I dive during the Summer is probably not going to be so great this year. They've done major work there and now what used to be a rock entrance is mud, there are silt fingers leading from the ditch going out several feet, not pretty.

It didn't affect todays dive, after all we weren't doing a shore entry. I walked out on the ice in my drysuit and cut the holes out, came back and got my lines to run and set up that part. Then put the doubles on and dropped in to run the line.

Vis wasn't too good near shore, but did turn back to normal about 30 feet from shore, it was 0 at the shore.

Let me tell you one lesson I learned, getting back out of the water on an ICE dive is always fun, but with double HP120's it was a mighty struggle but eventually I made it. You ever try to drag 120 lbs of tanks and rig out of an ice hole with about an inch of water on top? Very funny results are bound to happen. The triangle helped, but not as much as I would have hoped.

MicahEW
02-16-2008, 22:27
That is INSANE cutting a hole in the ice just to dive that is dedication man.

skdvr
02-16-2008, 22:30
Sounds fun to me man, getting out of the ice that is.

That does suck about the changes to Finger Lakes. I really wanted to go over there and check it out.

Hey wait a sec... Are you just saying this to keep the rest of us away????:smiley13:

texdiveguy
02-16-2008, 23:21
One of the secret places my buddy and I dive during the Summer is probably not going to be so great this year. They've done major work there and now what used to be a rock entrance is mud, there are silt fingers leading from the ditch going out several feet, not pretty.

It didn't affect todays dive, after all we weren't doing a shore entry. I walked out on the ice in my drysuit and cut the holes out, came back and got my lines to run and set up that part. Then put the doubles on and dropped in to run the line.

Vis wasn't too good near shore, but did turn back to normal about 30 feet from shore, it was 0 at the shore.

Let me tell you one lesson I learned, getting back out of the water on an ICE dive is always fun, but with double HP120's it was a mighty struggle but eventually I made it. You ever try to drag 120 lbs of tanks and rig out of an ice hole with about an inch of water on top? Very funny results are bound to happen. The triangle helped, but not as much as I would have hoped.

How thick was the ice on the lake?? Is this in the state park?

cummings66
02-17-2008, 07:34
The ice was about 4 inches thick and Finger Lakes is a state park. Not many people dive there, but it can have some good vis at times. The other end which has had no work done would be good diving most anytime, but it's always been kind of muddy getting out and you have a 1/10 mile hike to get there.

I'd do a Google Earth attachment but the board doesn't allow that type for some reason.

texdiveguy
02-17-2008, 09:22
The ice was about 4 inches thick and Finger Lakes is a state park. Not many people dive there, but it can have some good vis at times. The other end which has had no work done would be good diving most anytime, but it's always been kind of muddy getting out and you have a 1/10 mile hike to get there.

I'd do a Google Earth attachment but the board doesn't allow that type for some reason.

Thanks....I have never been to the park, but was aware it was there.....we have a few smaller Tx. SP that have small lakes/ponds in them as well and a few are ok for diving.

cummings66
02-17-2008, 09:35
We're trying to talk the park into putting rock back there so we can dive it without getting muddy. The theory is erosion. The way they have it now it's just a dirt ditch leading to the tube and then drains into the quarry. It's taking a lot of dirt out of the parking areas which are essentially rock/dirt and putting it into the quarry. Our approach is to point out that it's in their best interests to put rock there to avoid erosion of the surrounding dirt.

If they'll do it we'll have a fair spot again, not very deep but close. To be honest you learn a lot more from a shallow dive than you do from a deep one when it comes to managing your buoyancy.

texdiveguy
02-17-2008, 10:01
We're trying to talk the park into putting rock back there so we can dive it without getting muddy. The theory is erosion. The way they have it now it's just a dirt ditch leading to the tube and then drains into the quarry. It's taking a lot of dirt out of the parking areas which are essentially rock/dirt and putting it into the quarry. Our approach is to point out that it's in their best interests to put rock there to avoid erosion of the surrounding dirt.

If they'll do it we'll have a fair spot again, not very deep but close. To be honest you learn a lot more from a shallow dive than you do from a deep one when it comes to managing your buoyancy.

I hope you folks can get the park to see it your way....:)

I enjoy shallow lake diving for that reason also,,,plus it offers a great chance to observe fish/turtles and note the eco systems in the upper shore areas....all great fun!

cummings66
02-17-2008, 18:58
We don't have the variety of fish or vegetation they do on the coasts, but it is interesting to see the things we do have. There's some kind of water weed that grows 6 to 10 feet high and waves gently in the water, it's like a forest that you can swim through. It's gone right now, but come Summer it'll be back.

Sometimes shallow diving is so much more fun than deep that's it's hard to get newer divers to want to try it out. Everybody wants to go deep at first, then slowly over time they'll start playing in the shallows.