PDA

View Full Version : Zebulon Pike

snagel
02-17-2008, 07:01
Calling all the experts back...

About a year ago on SB, there was a very good post on the history of the Zebulon Pike. But, all that information got lost when the other forum crashed.

As stated in the "Table Rock Thread", what I remember is that there was some debate over the boat at the bottom of the lake actually being the Zebulon Pike. Some say the Zeb is docked in a nearby by marina and what is at the bottom of the lake is "The General". Some of you had some very good information on the history of the boat. If you still have this, could you repost it here?

S. Nagel

DivingCRNA
02-17-2008, 07:13

About a year ago on SB, there was a very good post on the history of the Zebulon Pike. But, all that information got lost when the other forum crashed.

As stated in the "Table Rock Thread", what I remember is that there was some debate over the boat at the bottom of the lake actually being the Zebulon Pike. Some say the Zeb is docked in a nearby by marina and what is at the bottom of the lake is "The General". Some of you had some very good information on the history of the boat. If you still have this, could you repost it here?

S. Nagel

My understanding is that the "Zebulon Pike" is really the first "Branson Belle", but they changed the name for obvious reasons....

cummings66
02-17-2008, 07:37
The Zebulon Pike was at the other Marina, I've seen it with my own eyes last year and the year before. It is the real Zebulon Pike and what's on the bottom is the boat that you got on and had your drinks etc. Or so that's the history the locals have told me.

It was supposed to have been a barge before it was modified and turned into what it is/was.

mm2002
02-17-2008, 08:30
The Zebulon Pike was at the other Marina, I've seen it with my own eyes last year and the year before. It is the real Zebulon Pike and what's on the bottom is the boat that you got on and had your drinks etc. Or so that's the history the locals have told me.

It was supposed to have been a barge before it was modified and turned into what it is/was.

We camp at Cricket Creek a lot during the summer, and I saw the boat your talking about. It was moored at the south end of the marina. It was in terrible shape, and I wondered if someone planned on restoring it or what. It disappeared early last summer, but I'll bet the folks at Cricket know the whole story.

cummings66
02-17-2008, 09:36
I kind of thought a person could buy it cheap and refit it, wonder if that's what happened.

mm2002
02-17-2008, 10:12
I found this VERY cool bit of info. Read the email below the pic (which had a link to the pic at Cricket Creek) In the right of the pic you can just see the bow of the Zeb. Evidentially, the boat at Indian Point was the barge they used as a dock for the Zeb? So what about the Branson Belle story???

http://www.mm-restoration.com/scuba/ZebCricketCreek.jpg

Re: Hannah Kildahl

Remote Name: 12.43.88.164
Date: 10/26/03
Time: 12:46:44 PM
Comments

I can tell you a bit about her as to the last 30 years or so. I understand that she went out of service with the death of here builder/owner in the mid '60s; In about 1972 she was purchased by a Twin Cites excursion boat operator who added rails to the upper deck so that passengers could go up there via a spiral stairway located just behind the pilothouse. The Twin cities operator sold her in about 1975, and she ran, i beleive, one season on the Missouri River and one season on Kentucky Lake, then went to Little Rock Ar. on the Arkansas River, and was hauled overland to Table Rock Lake in Southwest Missouri. She ran on Table Rock for into the mid '80s under the name of Zebulon Pike (which the Twin cites operator gave here) A gentleman, whos name I will not post, bought her in about '80 or '81, when the prime interest rate was around 18%, and could not make a go of it. By 1989 she was abandoned in a cove on Indian Point (close to Silver Dollar City) The Army Corp of Engineers took her over, along with a barge that had been used as her dock (the barge was originally a ferry flat on the Mississippi River, and later used as an Excursion boat on Table Rock Lake until being retired to the position of dock barge. The barge was named "General Pike.") Anyway, the Corp took over both the Zebulon and the General. The General was intentionaly sunk as a dive site while the Zebulon was apparently transfered to private ownership. By the late '90s the Zebulon was still afloat and tied up, inactive, at Cricket Creek marina on TableRockLake. If you go to Dock Pictures (http://www.cricketcreek.com/PhotoGallery/DockPictures/VirtualDock.htm) and scroll-down to the third photo in the column, the blue-painted bow of the Zebulon Pike can be seen at the right margin on the photo. Some diver websites mistakenly refer to the sunken General Pike as the Zebulon Pike. Twin Cummins diesels (one having been replaced in 1981) with Twin disc manually- shifted gearboxes. There was a story that, while being operated in Chicago, a large wave washed several people off of a breakwater, and that the Hannah rescued them, earning a praising letter from the Coast Guard. I know nothing earlier than the above, other than what has already been posted on this board.

texdiveguy
02-17-2008, 11:05
OK....I have never dove this lake ....... so what will one find at this 'dive site' in terms of a craft? Any photos? I have read a bit about this site but not much info. on the craft itself.

snagel
02-17-2008, 12:17
What I remember on the dive, is that you find the stump. At the bottom of the stump is a line that takes you to the "Zeb" or "General" (whatever it is, I'll just say "boat"). When we dove it, it was very murky and kinda "haunting" you are following the line and then all of a sudden you see this huge ferry boat. It was in about 85 feet. It looked like it had two maybe three decks. What stands out in my mind is that there was chain link fencing that had been attached to the top, but now it was falling down. I remember this because I was watching it all the time while keeping an eye on my two buddies. I kept thinking if that falls they are trapped. We dove completely around the boat and then found the line back up.

We didn't get any pictures of it at the time, because none of us brought our camera. Nemrod has a lot of information on it and has even posted some very nice sonar pictures of it.

S. Nagel

cummings66
02-17-2008, 18:54
It's funny, I don't recall clearly a fence but I usually look at the stacks or the bottom of it, sometimes crossing over the top to see what's there. I vaguely remember something but can't describe it so it could be a fence.

I know it was a barge but I can't put the pictures of what I know a barge to look like and what this looks like. The two don't match up IMO. Of course it was sure to have had work done on it because you don't party too much on a barge.

Didn't it have wood planking on the floor that's going away bit by bit?

snagel
05-14-2008, 19:45
I was floating around the web and came across a newspaper article from the New York Times. The article was about Branson and what to. Half way into the article it says...

From Silver Dollar City, there's a view of Table Rock Lake, one of three impoundments of the White River in Missouri. It's earned a reputation as a big bass lake. There's lunker bass, spotted bass, white bass, crappie and bluegills. Watersports abound around here, and the Zebulon Pike excursion boat provides a tour of the lake. The many resorts and campgrounds on its shoreline are served by such towns as Lakeview, Reeds Spring, Kimberling City, Lampe and Blue Eye.

.......I just thought this was interesting, given what has been said.

S. Nagel

mm2002
05-14-2008, 20:24
OK, now this is just spooky. This thread has been dead for awhile, right?
True story:

This afternoon, I took the kids out looking for a campsite for the weekend. Cricket Creek is still flooded out badly, so that was out. Table Rock State Park doesn't have much to offer, but we finally found a couple of good sites at Long Creek, and I reserved them. Later this evening the wife wanted to go see what sites we'd reserved for the weekend, so we took her out there. Walking along the shoreline by the marina, I looked over and saw the Pike. It's sitting right there in a stall at Long Creek Marina. I kid you not. I had planned to post about it here when we got home this evening, and when I log onto my email, this link pops up (because I'm evidentially still subscribed to the thread). The last time I saw the boat it was at Cricket Creek Marina, and that's been 3 or 4 years ago I think.

I know this sounds far fetched, but I'm taking pics this weekend to prove my story. I don't know what it is about that old boat, but it has a mystique about it.

snagel
05-15-2008, 05:05
The hair is starting to stand on my neck.....

I was surfing the web for something totally different and came across this New York Times article from 1982 that mentions the Zebulon Pike as an excursion vessal on the lake at the same time you guys find it in a marina. Wow, is she trying to tell us something?

S. Nagel

skdvr
05-15-2008, 06:58
That is pretty darn interesting... I will be interested to see the pics after this weekend...

Phil

PepeDiver
05-15-2008, 10:03
is this something that is accessible by shore?

mm2002
05-15-2008, 10:20
is this something that is accessible by shore?

Hell yeah, right now you can walk out on it from the dock! :smiley36:

PepeDiver
05-15-2008, 10:23
where is it? might try to dive it while I'm down next weekend

mm2002
05-15-2008, 11:58
I was being serious. It's sitting in a boat dock. If you just want to see the Zeb, you can leave the scuba gear at home! :smilie39:

The wreck they "call" the Zebulon Pike, is at Indian point, but it's not the Zeb. I think I put a map in here somewhere. If you want to see the real Zeb though, it's at the dock at Long Creek Marina. Or you can check back here Sunday evening....I'll post pics!

PepeDiver
05-15-2008, 13:44
hahaha i knew i should have clarified that! yeah I meant the wreck labeled the Zeb.

mm2002
05-15-2008, 15:35
I know, I was just kidding with ya! The info about the Zeb starts on page 4 of the "Thinking about Tablerock lake" thread.

SteveC
05-15-2008, 17:59
Nagel and I dove her last year, it was a cool dive. At the time she was about 85’ deep, but with the current flooding conditions, it must be a lot deeper. It was very dark down there, but fairly clear. Definitely need a light.
One theory has been that it was a kind of floating dock that the Zeb was moored to. Kinda like the Becky Thatcher has at the St.louis Riverfront. A place to board and buy tickets and stuff.
It did appear to be a couple stories tall. You could probably do some penetration, but at that depth and darkness, we thought not. It also appeared to be falling down.
But it is a nice dive, if you can find the rope near the surface, and just follow it down. We made one trip around her, looking into windows/openings, and headed back up.

mm2002
05-15-2008, 18:07
One theory has been that it was a kind of floating dock that the Zeb was moored to. Kinda like the Becky Thatcher has at the St.louis Riverfront. A place to board and buy tickets and stuff.

That's not only a theory, but the absolute truth. :smiley20:

mm2002
05-16-2008, 21:38
Nagel and I dove her last year

hmmmmm....sounds kinky!

SteveC
05-16-2008, 22:33
You know us muck divers.....
No muck.... too tuff....

kkbracha
03-30-2012, 21:31
I have lived and dove in these lakes and mountains for decades. The Zeb has been docked at Long Creek Marina for as long as I can remember, going back to the late 80's. The stories I have heard from the old timers here about her history is interesting. Many I have heard from tell that the Pike came from the Great Lakes areas, most say she was a touring boat on Lake Superior, may have sunk there and was salvaged. How she ended up at Long Creek Marina I don't have a clue. I can say for 100% surety that the boat that is sunk is NOT the pike and I suspect it was the General.
As for diving, this area is rich. There are a few certification dives done to Oasis, MO regularily in the summer. It is a black water/halogen dive and a 45 minute ascent so its not for the novice but the steeple of the church is still intact, the carriage tracks at the hitching posts can still be seen so its a piece of history preserved. Bull Shoals is another fantastic clear lake with excellent structure and is historically significant. Its much slower pace than Bull Shoals as they don't have the high tourist traffic. For me I much prefer the peace of it more than the high tourist areas.
Anyone wanting more information on diving/hiking/mountain lifeel free to email me. e in the area f

S. Nagel

snagel
03-31-2012, 05:41
Thanks kkbracha for the insight. Do you know any of the history of the General?

snagel
03-31-2012, 05:54
There is another link on the forum that has a lot of information as well. In fact, the grandson of the guy that built the Zeb has provided a lot of pictures and there was some talk he wanted to try and buy her back and take her back to Minnesota. The boat originally came from Milwaukee and yes he confirmed was used on the Great Lakes. It sailed originally as the Hannah Kildahl.

There is a facebook page on this:

Snagel

SteveC
03-31-2012, 23:58
Do tell... have you actually seen the church steeple?

As for diving, this area is rich. There are a few certification dives done to Oasis, MO regularily in the summer. It is a black water/halogen dive and a 45 minute ascent so its not for the novice but the steeple of the church is still intact, the carriage tracks at the hitching posts can still be seen so its a piece of history preserved.