PDA

View Full Version : Spliting up Doubles

skdvr
02-17-2008, 17:00
I just purchased a set of used 120's and I would like to split them up and use them as singles until I get the rest of the equipment needed to dive them as doubles. I need to purchase the plugs for the valves, then is this something that would be easy for me to disassemble or should I take it to my LDS? I would assume that I need to drain all the air out of the tanks and in which case it may be best to take it to the shop so they do not think that they have been sitting around empty. Or do I not need to drain the air in order to take the isolation valve off and plug the valves.

Thanks

Phil

texdiveguy
02-17-2008, 17:11
Congrats on your purchase....you have tanks for now and the future!

YES you will need to drain off the gas prior to disassembling the manifold!

If you are a frqt. customer to your LDS and you advise them of your plans to drain the tanks and they are under current visual....then your LDS may honor your word (they SHOULD!) upon refilling them without doing an inspection. If they are nearing the renewal date for their annual inspection, you might go ahead and get that done prior to your first fill.....also check the hydro date.

You can disassemble the doubles yourself with no problems....and your LDS or internet supplier can provide you with proper plugs at minimal cost.

skdvr
02-17-2008, 17:19
Is it as easy and just crackign the nuts loose on the isolation valve and then spinning the valve?

I do know the people at my LDS very well and I am sure that they would probably take my word, but I may just ask them for the heck of it.

Thanks
Phil

texdiveguy
02-17-2008, 17:27
Is it as easy and just crackign the nuts loose on the isolation valve and then spinning the valve?

I do know the people at my LDS very well and I am sure that they would probably take my word, but I may just ask them for the heck of it.

Thanks
Phil

Its pretty much that simple. :)

I would check with your LDS on their refill policy...but I bet you will be good if you advise them of your plans.

Those lp 120's are popular with a select group of divers.....big and heavy--LOL....I don't use them because I am not comfortable kitting and moving (dry) around in them...too large/heavy for me,I guess I am a whimp.

skdvr
02-17-2008, 17:51
Yes they are heavy but I was originally planning doubling up HP 130's and I think I will be fine with these. I am a friend of the gym so I should be OK. Well I hope so atleast :smiley20:

Phil

cummings66
02-17-2008, 18:01
When I doubled my HP120's up I called my LDS and basically asked them if they'd have a problem with me draining the air out of the tanks so that when I got there it'd be empty and I could double them up faster that way.

He said no but to be honest the rate I chose to drain them at was slow enough that it was still hissing 35 minutes later when I got there so he knew no matter what they had pressure in them.

We let them drain the rest of the way, pulled the valves which I had to do in order to double them up, and I wanted to do a quick visual on the tanks and then reassembled, it's the reverse of what you want to do. Easy to do.

texdiveguy
02-17-2008, 20:21
Yes they are heavy but I was originally planning doubling up HP 130's and I think I will be fine with these. I am a friend of the gym so I should be OK. Well I hope so atleast :smiley20:

Phil

Actually the average lp120 will weigh approx. 3lbs. more per tank than the hp130's.

TommyB
02-17-2008, 22:25
What ya do is take the 120's and sidemount them.
I have 100's I do as doubles and 120's for sidemount--
120's a little too heavy for me to double / kit them up
Much easier to take the 120's to the water, then hook them up.

Wearing the transpac / with the nomad buttplate so I can do either doubles / and or sidemount. (the 2 bars right under the tanks are for sidemounts)

skdvr
02-18-2008, 06:50

Phil

Actually the average lp120 will weigh approx. 3lbs. more per tank than the hp130's.

According to XS Scuba's website (http://www.xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html) the 130's are 5 lbs heavier each

Phil

texdiveguy
02-18-2008, 09:42

Phil

According to XS Scuba's website (http://www.xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html) the 130's are 5 lbs heavier each

Phil

HP X8130 empty @ 43lbs.
LP 121 empty @ 49.9lbs.

They are both heavy..... :)

skdvr
02-18-2008, 11:23

Phil

Phil

HP X8130 empty @ 43lbs.
LP 121 empty @ 49.9lbs.

I got the x7 hp 120's. But, you are correct that they are both heavy:smiley20:

cummings66
02-18-2008, 12:26
It's enough to make or break you, that much is certain about them.

texdiveguy
02-18-2008, 13:08

Phil

Phil

HP X8130 empty @ 43lbs.
LP 121 empty @ 49.9lbs.

I got the x7 hp 120's. But, you are correct that they are both heavy:smiley20:

Oh...I miss understood...thought you had lp tanks......but we are all right---they are heavy! :)

ScaredSilly
02-18-2008, 22:19
When you split them make sure you get plugs that are compatible with the valves. Also remember the manifold has left and right threads. The ones with left hand threads will have a notch on the nut or plug.

skdvr
02-19-2008, 04:30
The ones with left hand threads will have a notch on the nut or plug.

I ws going to ask what the significance of this was. I noticed this when I was really looking at it yesterday. I assume just to differenciate betweek the right and left side?

Phil

newways
02-19-2008, 08:08
When draining your tanks, i 'd recommend draining them either slowly to keep them from cooling too much, or drain them down to +/-200psi, let them warm, then finish the draining. Just an extra precaution to keep condensation from entering the tank when you separate them.

skdvr
02-19-2008, 09:05
When draining your tanks, i 'd recommend draining them either slowly to keep them from cooling too much, or drain them down to +/-200psi, let them warm, then finish the draining. Just an extra precaution to keep condensation from entering the tank when you separate them.

I started draining them this moring a little before I left for work, I left them go for about 15 min and only got about 500 psi out of them. I am actually going to change the valves out. A friend of mine is going to let me borrow two of his Pro Valves until I get my reg changed to DIN and get the plugs.

Phil

ScaredSilly
02-20-2008, 14:30
The ones with left hand threads will have a notch on the nut or plug.

I ws going to ask what the significance of this was. I noticed this when I was really looking at it yesterday. I assume just to differentiate betweek the right and left sides?

Pretty much, the notches are to demarcate left hand threads (rather than sides).