PDA

View Full Version : Where do you stash car keys when shore diving?

Birdy
02-17-2008, 18:01
Hi all , I'm going to Curacao in a month for 2 weeks of shore diving, and wonder how or what is the best way to stash your car keys when parked at remote sites and whether to leave your car unlocked or not? With all the new cars having electronic keys, I can't just zip them up in my wetsuit. As it is I don't usually take but enough cash for the day and no credit cards unless necessary so nothing of value is left in the vehicle. It's getting hard to know whats best to do. Some say leave the car unlocked so thieves won't break out a window to get in the car and others say if you leave the car unlocked and it is stolen you're hosed with the rental company. Other than St Thomas and St Croix I haven't run across much crime in the carib, but I'm starting to hear more than a few stories of probs in Curacao. Any thoughts would be most appreciated----Ted:smiley4:

Birdy
02-17-2008, 18:02
Hi all , I'm going to Curacao in a month for 2 weeks of shore diving, and wonder how or what is the best way to stash your car keys when parked at remote sites and whether to leave your car unlocked or not? With all the new cars having electronic keys, I can't just zip them up in my wetsuit. As it is I don't usually take but enough cash for the day and no credit cards unless necessary so nothing of value is left in the vehicle. It's getting hard to know whats best to do. Some say leave the car unlocked so thieves won't break out a window to get in the car and others say if you leave the car unlocked and it is stolen you're hosed with the rental company. Other than St Thomas and St Croix I haven't run across much crime in the carib, but I'm starting to hear more than a few stories of probs in Curacao. Any thoughts would be most appreciated----Ted:smiley4:

DivingCRNA
02-17-2008, 18:08
In my shorts pocket, inside my drysuit.... :)

Illini_Fan
02-17-2008, 18:12
Haven't encountered that with a rental car -- I know when I do shore diving using my own car, I lock the keys in the car and clip the plastic "valet" key inside my BC pocket. But my car has the remote access buttons integrated as part of the key

Most rental cars don't have an integrated key / keyfob, so you should be able to remove the actual car key from the ring and leave the keyfob in the car.

Zenagirl
02-17-2008, 18:12
We bought a small Otterbox (Pelican is another brand) that's good to 150'. We put keys, driver's license, and cash in it and shove it in a BC pocket. If the rental car has a "fob" we make sure to leave the fob in our condo/hotel and just use the key part. If the otterbox leaks (which it hasn't yet), it's no big deal to have a wet key and cash. ;)

terrillja
02-17-2008, 18:34
You could get an extra light and yank out the batteries and bulb, or you could go the commercial route with this:

OMS Water Proof Canister, DIR and Technical, OMS, OMS Water Proof Canister (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OMS_Water_Proof_Canister)

mitchy
02-17-2008, 18:35
I usually hide the key somewhere, like a wheelwell. I don't really like carrying keys in the water as I'm paranoid of losing them.

jwdizney
02-17-2008, 18:47
We bought a small Otterbox (Pelican is another brand) that's good to 150'. We put keys, driver's license, and cash in it and shove it in a BC pocket. If the rental car has a "fob" we make sure to leave the fob in our condo/hotel and just use the key part. If the otterbox leaks (which it hasn't yet), it's no big deal to have a wet key and cash. ;)

ditto that!.
Otter Box 1000, Accessories: Drybox, Otter, Otter Box 1000 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OB1000)

fits nicely in BC pocket and hasn't leaked yet!

maggs_the
02-17-2008, 18:55

but i'll be interested in your responses because we're going to Curacao in August and i was wondering the same thing. over and over i hear "dont lock the vehicle AND leave the windows rolled down" so yeah, what do you do about the keys? i wonder if it's not common for the car to be taken since it is a fairly small island. couldnt be that hard to catch the car thief??

where are you going to be on Curacao? we're staying at All West Apartments on West Punt. we thought it might be time to TRY it on our own versus the resorts this time... especially when it's primarily shore diving anyway. we're doing 2 days of boat dives but the rest is shore diving.

but i've heard nothing but great things about Sunset and Habitat.

KGNickl
02-17-2008, 18:58
Haven't encountered that with a rental car -- I know when I do shore diving using my own car, I lock the keys in the car and clip the plastic "valet" key inside my BC pocket. But my car has the remote access buttons integrated as part of the key

Most rental cars don't have an integrated key / keyfob, so you should be able to remove the actual car key from the ring and leave the keyfob in the car.
+1 for locking everything in the car and taking a single valet key w/ me (BCD has a small front zipper that fits ID and a key).

terrillja
02-17-2008, 19:02
Only works if you have a hitch, but this is an interesting option:

HitchSafe Key Vault - FREE SHIPPING - Hitch Safe Lock Box (http://www.neverlockedout.com/)

maggs_the
02-17-2008, 19:12

ditto that!.
Otter Box 1000, Accessories: Drybox, Otter, Otter Box 1000 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OB1000)

$7.95?? that sounds like my answer right there

Birdy
02-17-2008, 20:10
Thanks for all the replies. The otterbox sounds like the ticket and won't take up much space in BC pocket....Tnx again---Ted

pyre24
02-17-2008, 21:41
have you tried a locking gas cap? Not sure how well those work. But sounds good.

terrillja
02-17-2008, 21:44
have you tried a locking gas cap? Not sure how well those work. But sounds good.
Those lock the gas filler line, which you definitely don't want to put keys in. I had one and it didn't seal properly, so my car had a service light triggered. $10 for nothing pretty much.

Zyxistal
02-17-2008, 21:48
Even if you have the new electronic keys you can still get a duplicate that will just open the doors but not start the car. I have one of those and just keep it zipped inside my wetsuit.

pyre24
02-17-2008, 23:09
Those lock the gas filler line, which you definitely don't want to put keys in. I had one and it didn't seal properly, so my car had a service light triggered. $10 for nothing pretty much.
They have a gas cap with hidden key compartment. But I couldnt find it online for some reason, Ive seen it in catalogs. They make a license plate key hider also, but it doesnt lock. The gas cap locks by a combination.

terrillja
02-17-2008, 23:13
They have a gas cap with hidden key compartment. But I couldnt find it online for some reason, Ive seen it in catalogs. They make a license plate key hider also, but it doesnt lock. The gas cap locks by a combination.
Interesting, mine was just the cap itself, no space to store anything, and it was locked by a key.

KGNickl
02-17-2008, 23:15

ditto that!.

$7.95?? that sounds like my answer right there
I had an otterbox ipod case and they make solid products at reasonable prices. I'm sure this product is no different.

PhD4JC
02-17-2008, 23:49
I use the otter box as well, especially when I snorkel
It will hold keys, driver license, credit cards, money

(then i decided to store this really kewl sanddollar i found in it too, which was smashed to smitherenes and then the pieces got stuck on the o-ring...needless to say, my otterbox is no longer waterproof)

fisheater
02-18-2008, 01:06
I use the otter box as well, especially when I snorkel
It will hold keys, driver license, credit cards, money

(then i decided to store this really kewl sanddollar i found in it too, which was smashed to smitherenes and then the pieces got stuck on the o-ring...needless to say, my otterbox is no longer waterproof)

Where do you stash the Otter box while snorkeling? As I only wear a rash guard and jammer trunks while snorkeling, I'm not sure where to put the Otter box.

Zenagirl
02-18-2008, 07:47
Mine came with a lanyard, so you could put it around your neck and under your rashguard to keep it from flopping around.

Defman
02-18-2008, 10:28

Ditto

cummings66
02-18-2008, 11:52
I hide the key on the car itself and make sure my buddy knows where. You could get the metal key holder and stick it under the car somewhere.

Hey Defman, what'd your kitty do? Miss the litter box? He looks like you caught him in the act there.

DRNightdiver
02-19-2008, 05:40
I've left them under a rock or fallen tree before. Make sure you remember which tree/rock. I've also removed the key and hooked it inside of my BCD.

mike_s
02-19-2008, 11:23
If you want a portable solution to lock your keys up in, get one of these. You can buy this here and carry it to the islands and use down there.

They sell them at Home Depot for $25 bucks or Amazon.

You can put a set of keys inside the lock and then lock it to your truck.

Amazon.com: Master Lock Select Access Key Storage Box with Set-Your-Own Combination Lock #5400D: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Set-Your-Own-Combination-5400D/dp/B0002YP1VC)

Note: the pic below doesn't show how they keys go in, but it's pretty big. says it will hold 5 keys.
outside dimesions are Outside Dimensions: 3-9/16"(9cm) wide x 4"(10.2cm) long x 1-9/16"(4cm) deep
according to Master Lock (http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.pl?dir=/residential/storagesec/&displaynav=&sub_cat_id=CA_SS_05&template=style)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VQXJW03XL._AA280_.jpg

Kingpatzer
02-19-2008, 11:28
In my shorts pocket, inside my drysuit.... :)

Ditto

rye_a
02-19-2008, 16:37
On top of a leaf spring, inside a plastic bumper, on top of a spare tire (if mounted outside vehicle, etc. There are plenty of places to stash a key.

thor
02-20-2008, 10:05
I want to thank everyone for telling me exactly where you hide your stuff, while you are away and diving. The next time I'm in your area, I'll make sure to check on your stufff, just to make sure that it is all safe and sound.

pyre24
02-20-2008, 10:12
If you want a portable solution to lock your keys up in, get one of these. You can buy this here and carry it to the islands and use down there.

Amazon.com: Master Lock Select Access Key Storage Box with Set-Your-Own Combination Lock #5400D: Home Improvement (http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Set-Your-Own-Combination-5400D/dp/B0002YP1VC)

Note: the pic below doesn't show how they keys go in, but it's pretty big. says it will hold 5 keys.
outside dimesions are Outside Dimensions: 3-9/16"(9cm) wide x 4"(10.2cm) long x 1-9/16"(4cm) deep
according to Master Lock (http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/product_detail.pl?dir=/residential/storagesec/&displaynav=&sub_cat_id=CA_SS_05&template=style)
I like that. Who would steal a locked padlock? But then again........:smiley5:

jeepbrew
02-20-2008, 17:33
I usually just leave my keys in my truck (or toolbox) and hope nobody tries to steal it. If they do, I have insurance.

CompuDude
02-20-2008, 19:24

That's exactly what I do.

The padlock portion can be broken into by anyone who is determined and has a big pair of bolt snips or a hacksaw. The lockbox portion, however, is going to be a LOT of hassle to get into. Most thieves are simply going to smash a window rather than bother with breaking into the box. Or (my hope), move onto an easier target. :)

pyre24
02-20-2008, 19:50
That's exactly what I do.

The padlock portion can be broken into by anyone who is determined and has a big pair of bolt snips or a hacksaw. The lockbox portion, however, is going to be a LOT of hassle to get into. Most thieves are simply going to smash a window rather than bother with breaking into the box. Or (my hope), move onto an easier target. :)

There are lots of easy targets, I dont plan on being one since my mustang was stolen in Escondido and driven to L.A., then stripped. Sad thing was it was only a 2.3. And the police wanted me to pay to get it back. :smiley5:

scubatexastony
02-20-2008, 21:09

Hey Ted,

Curacao is not all that bad, don't believe the stories. Maybe along the west end in the more remote sites, dont think you find many electronic keys in Curacao, leave the trucks at the rental stores, get a car with a trunk and lock up any valuables, take the key and leave the remote in the trunk.

Say howdy to Mark and Suzy at the Dive bus, the gang at Downtown diving, Anna at Habitat, you'll have a blast. I was on the rock from Sept 05 until June 07.

~tony

jafo123
02-21-2008, 06:30
I want to thank everyone for telling me exactly where you hide your stuff, while you are away and diving. The next time I'm in your area, I'll make sure to check on your stufff, just to make sure that it is all safe and sound.
If I tell ya where I hide my keys will you steal my truck so I can get a new one?

thor
02-21-2008, 09:40
If I tell ya where I hide my keys will you steal my truck so I can get a new one?

Only if you have really nice gear that is left inside

WAHMof2
02-21-2008, 15:58
Doesn't anyone else just hide them under a rock like we do?

CompuDude
02-21-2008, 16:06

Not if you're parked near the beach. Too many people of dubious moral value hanging around.

terrillja
02-21-2008, 17:33
Tend to have too many people watching me intently as I am gearing up, so no.

cummings66
02-21-2008, 17:42

Nope. Usually I hide the key that I use to gain entry to the vehicle, plus I tell my dive buddies where to find it just in case they need it.

diversteve
02-21-2008, 19:13
Or you could get one of these from Scubatoys:
Witz Surf Safe Box, Accessories: Drybox, Witz, Witz Surf Safe Box (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=SurfSafe)

I've dove with the same one since at least 2002 w/o a leak. If you want a wider one, LeisurePro sells them. And a couple for glasses. Do a search for Witz.

FyVe
02-21-2008, 20:14

the good stuff is usually in the water with the diver... things like BC, Regs,mask, fins, Wetsuit and what not....

scubajane
02-24-2008, 18:25
I had a key made that can open the door and start the engine(for 5 min) I carry it on my BC.
You should have seen the guys at the auto parts store arguing about making the key. One guy was adamant about not making a key like that cause It would not work. I assured him that I only needed it to open the door not to drive the car, he was so bewildered. I thought about telling him about scuba but I didn't want to blow out his other brain cell...I just said that I want to be able to take the key with me when I swim at the lake. nuff said I got my key.

ChrisA
02-24-2008, 19:09
I usually hide the key somewhere, like a wheelwell. I don't really like carrying keys in the water as I'm paranoid of losing them.

If you put the ket inside your wetsuit it would be very hard to loose. My wetsuit has an inside pocket for keys. With a drysuit I've been known to dive with loose change and keys still in my pockets.

Mostly I dive at the beach. I drive an open pickup truck and keep my gear in a large Pelican case. I have a combo lock and cable and I lock the case to to inside of the pickup truck bed. When I'm diving I put my cloths, walet, keys and what not inside the Pelican case and lock the case with the comb lock and cable. Yes some one could cut through this but they could also take the whole truck if they wanted. I don't care I have insurance.

The very best place to store a key I've seen is a device made for this purpose that real-estate salesmen use. It is a small key steal locker

mobeeno
04-12-2008, 20:43
Definately lock your car. I put my key in my wetsuit pocket, it is not electronic. A dive buddy of mine brought an electronic key (rental) on the dive down to about 50', when we finished the dive, I could not stop laughing when we realised that it was not such a good idea. He was a bit worried but fortunately the key worked!.

Ohio_diver16
04-12-2008, 23:39
Majority of the world wide rental places can give you standard keys on top of electronic ones if you ask, sometimes there's a small fee with this (usually about $10). If you have you're own vehicle, I always wear swim trunks under my wetsuit, in which case they have a keypocket, so inside they keypocket of my trunks that's under mywetsuit, I'm usually good there. But I do like the Pelican case idea for a pickup someone else had. I've just been tossing all the gear on the front seat after I suit up, but that sounds alot easier :))

scubasamurai
04-12-2008, 23:42
Or you could get one of these from Scubatoys:
Witz Surf Safe Box, Accessories: Drybox, Witz, Witz Surf Safe Box (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=SurfSafe)

I've dove with the same one since at least 2002 w/o a leak. If you want a wider one, LeisurePro sells them. And a couple for glasses. Do a search for Witz.

mine leaked liked crazy. so i just carry a pelican box

Largo
04-13-2008, 11:09
I usually lock my keys inside the car by accident. It makes me feel like an idiot, and costs a lot of money to get the door open; but I never lose my keys.

skippy11
04-13-2008, 13:05
Phil....That sounds like something I would do! :smilie39:

mobeeno
04-13-2008, 13:20
:smilie39::smilie39:
Hard to imagine someone with your avatar doing that:smiley36:

I usually lock my keys inside the car by accident. It makes me feel like an idiot, and costs a lot of money to get the door open; but I never lose my keys.

fkostyun
04-13-2008, 14:55
I am using an otterbox myself - toss some cash, cell phone, keys, and IDs inside of it. I'll "pray" that it doesn't leak. The otter boxes are nice - there much "harder" than a pelican case of similar size.

Another option is some 3" threaded PVC pipe.

Also, one thing to note, is that most "electronic" keys are simply a transistor inside of them - so in "theory" they should not be affected by getting wet.

rapicaracalla
01-12-2010, 17:05
Car Key Experts.com (http://www.carkeyexperts.com/) sells cut car keys over the internet. I have a few spare keys just in case!
My wet suit has a little pocket :)

din
01-25-2010, 04:26
didn't anyone see pulp fiction?

ssmdive
01-25-2010, 07:06
I lock the car and I have a pocket that has an attached loop of line. I half hitch the key to the line and shove it in my pocket. Even if I open the pocket (I keep a spare mask there) the key will stay with me on the line.

It is an electric key, but I am diving in fresh water so I don't worry about it.

mike_s
01-25-2010, 08:27
anyone tried this?

YouTube - how to unlock your car without a key (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjPGf4AsMZQ&feature=related)

DevilDiver
01-25-2010, 08:43
anyone tried this?

YouTube - how to unlock your car without a key (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjPGf4AsMZQ&feature=related)

Total myth, same with the tennis ball method.

divingbuddy
01-25-2010, 08:46
Most of the time I don't even bother locking the car - if I'm shore diving and there are other divers around I'm not too concerned

For those rare moments I do actually lock the doors, I put the key in a pocket in my drysuit underwear

Cheers!

j1j2j38
01-25-2010, 09:41
yeah, use a drysuit. Or my bathing suit pocket. Not a big deal either way.

CompuDude
01-25-2010, 12:49
yeah, use a drysuit. Or my bathing suit pocket. Not a big deal either way.

When you're diving wet, in salt water, with an expensive electric key that can be ruined by immersion, yes, it's a big deal.

For those in other situations, no, it's not a problem.

100feet
02-07-2010, 23:39
I found a website that has a variety of portable safes that can be used to secure your car keep away from your vehicle. They also have a variety of travel security bags that can protect laptops and camera gear from being stolen from your car, or hotel room for that matter. This is just one section in this website that covers travel safes (http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/travel-safes-c-26.html?osCsid=031d772d2012afecaed1bf642342e2c6). They have other sections that include car safes (http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/safessecurity-c-56.html) that you can mount inside your vehicle. Some of these safes look super strong, others will provide min security. They even have some unique bags that are for protecting scuba gear from theft with these special lock down security straps (http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/lockscablesstraps-c-62.html) that have steel cables embedded inside that cant be cut by bolt cutters - weird - They have a video you can watch.

Hope these ideas help!

UCFKnightDiver
02-08-2010, 07:25
Just go to home depot/lowes etc they will make you a key but it will only be able to open the doors (DO NOT TRY TO START THE CAR WITH IT) then just put the key in a pocket on a bolt snap etc