PDA

View Full Version : Need a Refresher?

Zenagirl
02-17-2008, 18:19
Do you think an AOW diver who has about 50 dives and hasn't been diving in 2 years should take a refresher, or would a "pool dive" with the buddy (AOW, 50 dives, 2 years out of the water) to practice skills be enough?

At what point/experience/training/time etc. do you think someone does or doesn't need a refresher?

mitchy
02-17-2008, 18:23
I would think a pool session getting the rust off would suffice.

St.jimmy
02-17-2008, 18:29
I'd say take the refresher, some things might have changed since your training (ie, ascent rates)

KGNickl
02-17-2008, 19:01
Take a refresher in a pool for a couple hours and you should be fine. Test your skills and make sure you gear is good.

islandguy
02-17-2008, 19:15
Take a refresher in the pool

johnyringo
02-18-2008, 14:11
The pool should do it. Yea, practice your drills and stuff, mask flood, reg. recovery, buddy breathing and etc.

cummings66
02-18-2008, 14:23
As long as you can do the skills in the water and are comfortable a pool session is good enough. If he's not comfortable or shows signs of not understanding things then a refresher would be in order.

AOW and 50 dives doesn't mean a lot because who knows what those dives were? Not much has changed in 2 years so he's not going to learn anything new, unless he just forgot it.

My vote is for the pool session.

hoobascooba
02-18-2008, 14:29
take the refresher... in the pool.

SkuaSeptember
02-18-2008, 14:38
A refresher in the pool or in "pool like conditions" would be time well spent.

For the second part of the question, its very much a sliding scale that depends first off on how good the divers skills were to originally! Some divers are so bad that no amount of time off will make them worse.
Many good and frequent divers will notice some slipping of their skills if they've been dry for as little as a month or two and will spend the first dive or portion of a dive fine tuning themselves. To an outside observer they might look fine, but someone who has really good skills knows whether they are really "in the zone" or not.
If the diver in your question was previously able to descend gracefully and become neutrally buoyant at any point during the decent, do a reg recovery and mask clear while holding position in the water column and then ascend in the same controlled manner, then they might only need some play time in the pool. If they weren't at this skill level before hand, they aren't going to get there without some guidance.
When in doubt, err on the side of caution. You only get to be wromg once.

Zenagirl
02-18-2008, 16:04
I left it general on purpose to see what other's thought, hoping for a lively discussion. ;)

More specifically this diver has a history of uncontrolled ascents, has trouble holding a safety stop mid-water, and is a very nervous diver. The 50 dives were done over a 2 year period prior, some cold some warm water, and AOW was done immediately after OW certification. The diver hasn't done any additional training since AOW and was originally thinking of simply doing a 45 foot "shallow" "easy" dive (cold water in a dry suit!!), to "ease back into" diving. I at least was able to convince them to do a pool dive prior, which was put off due to finding a dead computer battery.

cummings66
02-18-2008, 17:31
In that case a refresher course would be my suggestion.

SkuaSeptember
02-18-2008, 17:49
I left it general on purpose to see what other's thought, hoping for a lively discussion. ;)

More specifically this diver has a history of uncontrolled ascents, has trouble holding a safety stop mid-water, and is a very nervous diver. The 50 dives were done over a 2 year period prior, some cold some warm water, and AOW was done immediately after OW certification. The diver hasn't done any additional training since AOW and was originally thinking of simply doing a 45 foot "shallow" "easy" dive (cold water in a dry suit!!), to "ease back into" diving. I at least was able to convince them to do a pool dive prior, which was put off due to finding a dead computer battery.
Golfers think nothing of hiring a pro to help improve their game, Skiers arrange for private lessons to refine their techniques and many people hire personal trainers to improve their fitness level. Why do so many people think that just because once upon a time they managed to struggle through the skills needed to be certified there is nothing left to learn?

If a dead computer is an excuse not to go into the pool to refresh skills given the history you presented I would give serious thought to never, ever, ever going into the water with this person. Unless you are in the habit of getting into a car with a driver who is intoxicated. In that case, have at it!

Defman
02-18-2008, 18:00
I'll steal a line from Ronin, "If there's any doubt, there is no doubt."

texdiveguy
02-18-2008, 18:18
A refresher course is the way to go....inexpensive and usually about 4 hours long---well worth it. I have taught many of them over time and the divers were always happy they made the choice to get the class.

newways
02-18-2008, 18:51
PADI Scuba Tuneup course +/- 85.00 and well worth it if you've been out for a couple years.

cummings66
02-18-2008, 21:12
Why do so many people think that just because once upon a time they managed to struggle through the skills needed to be certified there is nothing left to learn?

I'd say it's got to do with the lack of competent instruction. There's a ton of average instructors who can teach you to dive, there's not as many that can push you beyond that initial stage.

In a way I'd say it's like Martial Arts, you can get to a point pretty fast and then it takes a long while to make changes. A good eye to catch mistakes and correct them allowing you to feel what's right is helpful. Many take DIR-F for this reason.

Like they say, perfect practice makes perfect. Or as a swim coach once told me, when you feel yourself start making mistakes stop practicing and rest. Wait until you can go again in perfect form.

NoTime58
02-19-2008, 11:39
I personally would take the refresher course, mainly to get back in the "comfort zone" of a dive. Some dive shops I've visited insist on a refresher course if you haven't been "wet" in over a year.

jeepbrew
02-19-2008, 11:51

Sounds to me that your buddy definitely needs a refresher course... or more.

Zenagirl
02-19-2008, 16:37
Yeah, I've always thought more instruction was needed and ironically, all of the diving information I posted was directly from the diver's mouth!! This isn't someone I'd be comfortable diving with for more than one reason.

cummings66
02-19-2008, 17:53
Point them to this thread.

jeepbrew
02-20-2008, 17:35
This isn't someone I'd be comfortable diving with for more than one reason.

That is completely understood!

WAHMof2
02-21-2008, 16:04
If this diver is as uncomfortable in the water as you describe, I can't imaging him/her NOT wanting a refresher course. Also, if a person can't have some degree of competency after 50 dives, I'm thinking they should find a different hobby.

SkuaSeptember
02-21-2008, 16:11
If this diver is as uncomfortable in the water as you describe, I can't imaging him/her NOT wanting a refresher course. Also, if a person can't have some degree of competency after 50 dives, I'm thinking they should find a different hobby.
Rule out skydiving and mountain climbing.

Zenagirl
02-21-2008, 18:14

It's about ego and pride. When someone believes they love something and are good at it, they aren't going to admit that a refreshed might be necessary....or at least that what the case seems to be in this case.

I'm of the school that training is always valuable, especially when you haven't done something in awhile.