PDA

View Full Version : why dont sea mamals need to decompres?

Black-Gorrilla
07-30-2007, 13:41
so... whales breath air right? the same air we breath out of out tanks....
if we go too deep... we get stoned... whales go much deeper than humans... and for hours.. they never get bent?
why is that?

TommyB
07-30-2007, 13:48
Don't think whales etc are breathing compressed air -

Pretty much along the same lines as a free-diver-
They take a big breath, then dive-- :)

Black-Gorrilla
07-30-2007, 13:57
you are right... i knew the answer was gonna be so easy.. i completely over look the fact that the air we breath is compressed.

mwhities
07-30-2007, 14:41
Wow.. that was a "dee de dee" moment!

;)

Michael

Black-Gorrilla
07-30-2007, 14:45
i didin't get too much sleep this weekend... and had a brain fart... and all the sudden im thinking "uh... they go deep and dont die?" and with time it hit me... yes, i am slightly out of it, and yes... DEE DE DEE...

ScubaToys Larry
07-31-2007, 13:43
Well, really it is and isn't because it's compressed. The thing is, you body can hold a certain amount of nitrogen in solution. It's only when you introduce more there is a problem, and since they are doing a single breath, they do not get in more nitrogen. That is one of the reasons you should never offer your octo to a passing whale.... er... just one of the reasons. :smiley2:

loudgonzo
07-31-2007, 15:56
Haven't offered my octo to a whale yet, or another diver (a good thing)....but I have offered a short blast of air to a fish that was nibbling my ear at CSSP. Darn thing would not stop even if I tried to swipe it away, it would come back.

Wolfie2012
07-31-2007, 16:07
Actually there is some research going on into cetaceans and some form of DCS. I'm not sure of the credibility of this or how it could be possible, but here it is:

http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?id=3853&section=1034&action=display&show=

Black-Gorrilla
07-31-2007, 16:33
so maybe i wasn't completely off...
i though... hmm... we breath compressed air... but it expands once it leaves the bottle... so hey...
now i read that article, and it's pretty interesting.

Osprey
07-31-2007, 19:58
That was on a few nature/science new sites a while ago actually, that the sperm whales were showing signs of the bends. kind of sucky considering their hangouts lol

Black-Gorrilla
07-31-2007, 20:55
maybe they should take up trimix?

i just think that just cause they live there... it can't be all fun and games... there has to be some risks... and it appears there might be a few bent wales swimming around somewhere