PDA

View Full Version : pre-class practice?

matt151617
02-18-2008, 19:27
I'm due to take a SDI intro class in April. I work at a pool as a lifeguard though. Any skills I can practice, besides mask clearing, that will make class go a little smoother?

KGNickl
02-18-2008, 20:09
Why are you posting in the Jr. divers forum, your profile says your 22? I think junior diver refers to young divers vs. new divers (someone eSlap and correct me if I am wrong....)

Anyways to answer your question buy the training materials and read them a couple times. Make sure to learn the dive tables to the point they are second nature. I wouldn't worry about aquatic skills since you work at a pool which would lead me to assume you are fine in the water (leave those to the class). You will most benefit by understanding the book material. Also some OW classes offer a DVDs to accompany the book (optional), so if you have extra money you might want to pick that up as well.

matt151617
02-18-2008, 21:00
Sorry, I thought Jr. Divers meant new. Thanks for the answer though.

fisheater
02-18-2008, 21:08
Don't know about SDI materials, but the PADI OW CD-rom has embedded video of all the skills that you need to learn in the OW course.

If you can find someone with a copy, you could see exactly what you'll be doing, much of which can be accomplished with mask, snorkel and fins.

ChrisA
02-19-2008, 12:23
I'm due to take a SDI intro class in April. I work at a pool as a lifeguard though. Any skills I can practice, besides mask clearing, that will make class go a little smoother?

If your water skill are good enough to land you a job as a pool lifeguard you will have zero trouble in the OW class. Just look at the "swim test" it is just doing 200 yards using any style with no time limit. The class is designed for people with only that level of minimal water skills.

If you do want to practice get a mask, snorkel and fins an run through all the free diving routines. Some advanced drills for someone with very good swimming ability to try: Swim down the bottom of the deep end and remove your mask, snorkel and fins. Leave them in a neat pile. Come up for air. Now go down again put on the equipment and have the mask clear before reaching the surface. Clear the snorkel as you reach the surface. We did this in a class, it's just a more advanced version of the OW mask clear skill. Being good with skin dive gear in the ocean is the best possible prep for scuba diving.

The other things you can do is to read the book until you know everything 100%. Then of course you will be bored to death in class but that is a good thing.

dogseatmayo
08-01-2008, 16:12
the 200 yard swim, snorkel clearing, mask clearing. small things like that. maybe if you could get ahold of a dive training book and practice what you think you need to/can do without scuba equipment

FailedExistence
08-01-2008, 19:07
As it is an SDI class they will teach the usage of the dive computer and not dive tables.

cummings66
08-04-2008, 10:56
He should have already taken and passed the course, but to be honest I don't recall a posting from him saying that. I wonder how he did... I'm sure it went well, scuba diving isn't that tough.

Vercingetorix
08-04-2008, 12:11
He should have already taken and passed the course, but to be honest I don't recall a posting from him saying that. I wonder how he did... I'm sure it went well, scuba diving isn't that tough.Yeah, he passed. Check his profile.

Jenn
08-04-2008, 13:30
I would get the course materials and start to read over them. I would also learn the dive tables and get yourself familiar with them. You can def practice your mask clearing and snorkel clearing skills. I suppose that you will be fine with swim test because of the job you got.