PDA

View Full Version : looking for a pony reg

scubachristo
02-18-2008, 20:26
sherwood perhaps? anyone have a pony reg they'd be willing to part with for a decent reasonable price??

Crimediver
02-19-2008, 07:43
I notice some people carry pony or stage bottles with the air turned on to pressurize the hoses and regs and then cut the air off. They then re-open the valve when they go to use it. I just keep my air on all the time when I dive a pony. Depending on how you do it a Sherwood may not be the choice for a pony as it bleeds a small amount of air from the first stage. This could lead to loss of air pressure to your regulator if you are those that fall into the first category that open and shut your air. I know the slight bubling is insignificant and equates to only a breath or to of lost air, but for some reason that bothers me when it is attached to a low volume pony bottle.

scubachristo
02-19-2008, 18:48
thanks for the heads up, im not one who likes to see any sort of small air bleed, i dive apeks primarys so im thinking about the same for my pony only the $ isnt what i want to spend on a pony reg

terrillja
02-19-2008, 18:59
thanks for the heads up, im not one who likes to see any sort of small air bleed, i dive apeks primarys so im thinking about the same for my pony only the $ isnt what i want to spend on a pony reg
Check out the DIN mares reg ST has on sale. $200 is very reasonable IMO.

scubachristo
02-25-2008, 19:59
its looking like a mares m12 or an aqualung calypso i think

Grin
02-26-2008, 08:29
I've been diving a Sherwood on my pony for a couple years now. It does trickle bubbles, but I never notice it. The bubbbles are super small and I doubt you would even see them if not looking for them. I use a Sherwood because it was my first reg when I started diving(about 10 years ago) and it's a very simple basic reg and was available for zero $$$. I have heard a Sherwood needs to be on all the time due to the small bleeding air on purpose thing. I'm not sure if that's true, but it doesn't matter to me as I use it that way anyway. If you were going to run your pony with the valve off, until needed, you might want to research that issue.

rfb3
02-26-2008, 10:02
scubachristo,
I recently bought the integrated LP inflater/reg for my BC, and plan to use the octo for my new pony. Just a thought (in case you needed a reason to buy even more scuba stuff) :)

scubachristo
03-01-2008, 06:48
if one more ups package comes to my door the wife will go mental, i need to start shipping my gear purchases to my work!!!

padi1029
03-09-2008, 18:31
you don't need to spend a lot of $$ to get a good reg for your pony...basicly you just want a reliable, work horse reg to get you back to the surface. Check out the gear reviews in Sport Diver and Scuba Diving magazines. Maybe even check with your LDS for a good condition used reg.

scubachristo
03-09-2008, 19:42
Im thinking of upgrading my primary regs and using those as my pony regs, that just sounds like an excuse to buy more gear :)

Hollywood703
03-24-2008, 10:51
If you dive in cold water, or especially if Ice diving, the sherwood First stage is on of the best you can get. It does trickle bubbles, but that keeps the first stage from freezing. I Have used my sherwood first stage for almost 10 years, and have close to 100 ice dives alone on it, and would put it against any other first stage in its class, or even some higher classes.

terrillja
03-24-2008, 11:13
If you dive in cold water, or especially if Ice diving, the sherwood First stage is on of the best you can get. It does trickle bubbles, but that keeps the first stage from freezing. I Have used my sherwood first stage for almost 10 years, and have close to 100 ice dives alone on it, and would put it against any other first stage in its class, or even some higher classes.

Just wondering, how does this prevent icing?

jrock357mag
04-06-2008, 18:25
I have a sherwood magnum I was looking to sell, it was made in 06 and Ive only put about 32 dives on it, 8 in salt water and the rest in fresh water. If the price is right I might look to get rid of it, though I also have been thinking about using it for a pony setup. I had it in 37 degree water last week for 45 minutes and it worked flawlessly, never froze. A buddy of mine had a Blizzard he bought back in the 80's for ice diving, dove it for 10 years without having the the thing serviced........ from what he said it too never failed him, Sherwood really makes good stuff. Let me know if you are interested..... I have some pics if you would like, J-Rock

Marcus
04-07-2008, 09:30
There are plenty of good, relatively inexpensive first stages that would work if you want a great, cold water reg.. Mares M12, Aqualung Titan extreme, Aqualung glacia, amongst others. If you don't need a cold water reg, it is easier though. More choices.

fireflock
04-07-2008, 09:48
Just wondering, how does this prevent icing?

It keeps moisture out of the dry chamber.

scubachristo
04-18-2008, 09:03
i ended up going with an APEKS XTX50 and a DS4 for my pony, I plan on using it and my main reg for doubles so it made sense
thanks to all