PDA

View Full Version : Finally, Castro has stepped down

boates
02-19-2008, 06:21
:smiley32::smiley32:

And brother has/is already making positive changes.

cummings66
02-19-2008, 06:47
Really, I hadn't heard that but I didn't watch anything other than the local news. What changes are being made?

hoobascooba
02-19-2008, 06:53
this topic is too emotional.

at least for my little friend from Cuba! (said with tony montana accent)

FishFood
02-19-2008, 06:54
Wow, it's sad we hear the news first here. Hehehe

FOXNews.com - Fidel Castro Resigns Cuban Presidency After Half-Century in Power - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,331149,00.html)

Zenagirl
02-19-2008, 06:59
I can't imagine there will be sweeping changes (like Cuba opening it's doors) until there isn't a Castro in office....but there's hope it'll be within my lifetime at least.

wgt
02-19-2008, 07:22
I can't imagine there will be sweeping changes (like Cuba opening it's doors) until there isn't a Castro in office....but there's hope it'll be within my lifetime at least.

...like Cuba opening its doors...to what? Sorry, I'm just not sure what you mean by "opening its doors."

newways
02-19-2008, 08:01
It'll be interesting to see who fills his shoes...hopefully someone with different ideals.

mwhities
02-19-2008, 08:02

...like Cuba opening its doors...to what? Sorry, I'm just not sure what you mean by "opening its doors."

He wants the Cuban cigars.....

Tableleg
02-19-2008, 08:44
Then he should pick some up the next time he's diving in Mexico. :smiley36:

DZorn00
02-19-2008, 08:49
the real question is which candidate is going to try and go over there and change them to a democracy instead of a Dictatorship? Like Bush and Iraq. I know, gettting to political!

pyre24
02-19-2008, 10:46
We will just have to wait and see what happens i guess.

mike_s
02-19-2008, 11:32
If they ever do "open up Cuba", then US real-estate developers will rush down and ruin the place. In 10 years, it won't even look like the 'old cuba' anymore.

cummings66
02-19-2008, 21:30
You say that like it's a bad thing. I'm sure the Cubans would kind of like to see it look like anything but what it does now.

It could go back to the early days of mobs and gambling...

cummings66
02-19-2008, 21:31
I'm still curious, what made boates say brother is/was making positive changes. Everything I've heard today makes it sound as if it's not going to change at all.

emcbride81
02-19-2008, 21:53
As far as my limited knowledge goes, the US will lift the embargo if Cuba is allowed a fair election. They have had elections but Castro was the only candidate...which I am sure was not corrupt at all :smiley2:

MicahEW
02-19-2008, 22:55
so will we be able to get cuban cigars legally? Hasnt he stepped down before?

johnyringo
02-19-2008, 23:09
I'll believe it when all the political prisoners are set free.

texdiveguy
02-19-2008, 23:14
I hope things improve in Cuba.

emcbride81
02-19-2008, 23:40
When the prisoners are free and real elections take place then we will be able to get cubans. Which, not to sound like a snob, are overrated. I have had some from Nicaragua and the DR that are waaaaay better than any Cuban I have had.

boates
02-20-2008, 05:36
I'm still curious, what made boates say brother is/was making positive changes. Everything I've heard today makes it sound as if it's not going to change at all.

Raul has been trying t open up negotiations with U.S. even tried thru Canadian connections once, has been slowly releasing some prisoners, 90 to date(hey, it's a start), he's looking at bringing their currency to 1 instead of the current 2 types of pesos, there is concern as to the peoples wages being more livable. Anyway I do think this could be a start. This info from Dalhousie U Professor (Cuban political analyst).

We've had Cuban cigars all this time!:smiley2:

DZorn00
02-20-2008, 06:19
the real question is which candidate is going to try and go over there and change them to a democracy instead of a Dictatorship? Like Bush and Iraq. I know, gettting to political!

Well to answer my own question, they all have already started pushing the change to democracy. Not that that is a bad thing for them to be a democracy but give them the information and let them decide for themselves what they want to do not force anything on them.

NoTime58
02-20-2008, 07:52
Fidel steps down.....his little brother steps up.....Fidel assumes position as advisor to little brother.....don't expect any sweeping changes over night !!

Garrobo
02-20-2008, 08:36
Yeah well, wait'll Raul kicks the bucket. That's when the **** will hit the fan. Probably end up with a military gov't till the US gets the nerve to go down there and kick them out.

caroln
02-20-2008, 10:01
Why should they have to have a democracy? Because we think that's the best form of government, so we should enforce our views on a sovereign nation? What works for one doesn't always work for all.

cummings66
02-20-2008, 10:22
I think a Republic is the best form of government, first off.

Who's saying the people don't want the freedom they lack? Some I'm sure don't because change is terrifying, but I'm equally sure some want some sort of change.

thor
02-20-2008, 12:33
Yeah well, wait'll Raul kicks the bucket. That's when the **** will hit the fan. Probably end up with a military gov't till the US gets the nerve to go down there and kick them out.

Yeah. Look how well that worked when we kicked everyone out of Iraq, uh..not really.

Shellback
02-20-2008, 13:25
It is going to be a long time until change takes place in Cuba. It would seem that the dictatorship is merely changing hands from one Castro to another. It could end up being quite the vacation spot like it once was if the US ever comes to terms with the Cuban leadership, not anytime soon though, we have had the dry foot policy for quite a while and if I am not mistaken, that is the only country that we use that policy with.

cummings66
02-20-2008, 13:54
Columbia MO is a liberal college town. Here's a link and typical of what I've been hearing from the news media around here.

Columbia Missourian - MU group questions significance of Castro's resignation (http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/02/19/mu-group-questions-significance-castros-resignatio/)

ScaredSilly
02-20-2008, 14:01
Cuba might be better off with out Fidel, but the world will certainly be better without Bush.

pyre24
02-20-2008, 14:55
Give them time, and see what they decide. It should be the peoples choice.

caroln
02-20-2008, 14:58
I think a Republic is the best form of government, first off.

Who's saying the people don't want the freedom they lack? Some I'm sure don't because change is terrifying, but I'm equally sure some want some sort of change.

I don't disagee with this, I just don't think that we should attempt to direct what the change should be by dangling the carrot of lifting the embargo only if the change is what we want it to be.

By the way, not directed to you, but technically Cuba already has opened its doors. People from around the world visit there all the time, just not people from the US. And that's not because Cuba slammed it's door on us, but the other way around.

pyre24
02-20-2008, 16:27
By the way, not directed to you, but technically Cuba already has opened its doors. People from around the world visit there all the time, just not people from the US. And that's not because Cuba slammed it's door on us, but the other way around.
Im an idiot. I didnt know that.

caroln
02-20-2008, 17:04
Im an idiot. I didnt know that.

Some info if you're interested

Helms-Burton Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helms-Burton_Act)

ScaredSilly
02-20-2008, 17:11
As far as I know Cuba never closed their doors to visitors except perhaps during the early 60s (leaving though is another matter for locals). However, americans can travel there - freely I might add. And that is the key word. The caveat is that it is illegal to trade with the enemy (i.e. spend money). The problem is that if you have been there it is assumed that you spent money so it becomes guilty by association. However, it is hard to prove it either way. To date I do not know of anyone being prosecuted for traveling to Cuba. There are legal exceptions to this. Typically, people get busted for bringing back Cigars and Rum. Customs inspectors like nothing better than making a traveler watch as they take each cigar and break it into small pieces as they drop into the garbage then pour their rum out on it.

I for one am glad that I have visited Cuba while Castro was in power. We met some great people through a friend who is Cuban American.

Big Mike
02-22-2008, 12:00
It is my understanding that Raul was the head of their "Secret Police" the same guys that imprisoned their "radicals". Of course, I may be wrong on this, but it was my understanding. I would hope the US would lift its embargo and allow free trade, not for the cigars (they aren't as good as some Nicarraguans I smoke), just for the opportunity to travel there to dive without the hassle of coming back into this country

cummings66
02-22-2008, 16:29
To date I do not know of anyone being prosecuted for traveling to Cuba.

There was a big media case not that long ago, less than 2 years where a diver was prosecuted for going there and diving. He went via Canada and somehow the US Govt. found out and prosecuted him.

I don't remember if he got off or not, but they did go after him.