PDA

View Full Version : The future wifes going to kill me.....

Brandon Belew
02-19-2008, 10:04
I got a lecture about "no more frivolous spending" the other day.

I retaliated by doing this:

product unit price qty price
Princeton Tec Eco-Flare Tank Light
Yellow
$11.95 1 $11.95
Dive Rite MR11 Sunspot HID Slimline Light
$565.00 1 $565.00
NeoSport 7 Mil John & Jacket
XXX-Large
No Thanks!
No Thanks!
$149.95 1 $149.95
Sub Total: $726.90
UPS 2nd Day Air: $44.56

Grand Total: $771.46
https://www.scubatoys.com/store/ssl/images/logo_s.gif We will forward your UPS Tracking Number to you as soon as we process your order.

Will I live till my next dive? :smiley36:

MSilvia
02-19-2008, 10:15
I don't know... that tank light seems pretty frivilous to me. The rest of it is money well spent. :)

No Misses
02-19-2008, 10:15
How dare you spend HER MONEY like that! :smiley36:

:smilie40:

mwhities
02-19-2008, 10:16
Ohh man, that's not much at all.

I'm about to spend 450.00 for the same light. 175.00 for an OMS BT, 600.00 for a set of LP104s, 80 on a remote valve knob, (I have spent 200.00 on cave reels) 300.00 on another MK25/G250HP regs and my CURRENT wife, is going to kill me. ;)

EDIT: haha Just bought a Suunto SK7 compass for 55.00. :)

hoobascooba
02-19-2008, 10:19
ugh.

EVERYTHING i spend is "frivolous" according to my wife. but she can buy anything she wants, causin us to go broke... but if I buy a gumdrop at the mall... brown stuff hits the fan!

lol.

skdvr
02-19-2008, 10:21
I too just spend $900 on a drysuit, $650 on a set of HP 120's, $90 on fins, and soon it will be about $100 more converting my regs to DIN, and a few hundred for a new skin for my drysuit.

She is not liking this at the moment...

Phil

Brandon Belew
02-19-2008, 10:36
You guys must make more money then me :(

770$ for me is quite a bit of money - a little more then a paycheck. And i'm supposed to be "saving" for the wedding. I can't save, it's not in my DNA.

This was just blowing most of my income tax check :D

MicahEW
02-19-2008, 10:43
they only tell us to save so they can have more to spend.

Lineman Larry
02-19-2008, 11:11
Brandon...

Your only hope is to teach her to dive.

Dive Rong
02-19-2008, 11:16
Last year I had to COMPLETELY re-equip both my son and myself. Southwest Florida is still contaminated by the fall-out that resulted from that expense.

Seniordiver
02-19-2008, 11:45
ugh.

EVERYTHING i spend is "frivolous" according to my wife. but she can buy anything she wants, causin us to go broke... but if I buy a gumdrop at the mall... brown stuff hits the fan!

lol.
My wife confronted me awhile back about the $29.00 I spend on beer for the week-end. Taken aback a bit I felt a little selfish for a minute, or two.

The nexd day I saw our Visa bill where she had spent $120.00 on make-up, etc. When I pointed out the descrepency, she said: "but dear, I do that to make myself beautiful for you". Then I replied that that is what the beer was for.

I'll miss her now and then

skdvr
02-19-2008, 11:53
My wife confronted me awhile back about the $29.00 I spend on beer for the week-end. Taken aback a bit I felt a little selfish for a minute, or two.

The nexd day I saw our Visa bill where she had spent $120.00 on make-up, etc. When I pointed out the descrepency, she said: "but dear, I do that to make myself beautiful for you". Then I replied that that is what the beer was for.

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Brandon Belew
02-19-2008, 11:56
Brandon...

She took the OW class with me, she just didn't do her open water dives. She's afraid of lakes.

Awhile back I bought one of those battery jump packs to keep in my car, and elected not to spend the extra money to get the one with the compressor.

She said: "Why? If you would have bought the one with the compressor, you could fill your own scuba tanks".

Immediately after, I stopped trying to convince her to finish the certification....

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
02-19-2008, 12:01

You are lucky you survived to tell the story!!!!:smilie39:

medic001918
02-19-2008, 12:37
I just spent over $2000 on a new BP/W, regs, doubles, drysuit underwear...and my wife was okay with it. I'm lucky like that with her. The only downside is that last year we had to completely outfit her in new dive gear...including drysuit. So it's a give and take situation.

Shane

JillianAnnO
02-19-2008, 13:26
The only thing that upsets me about your spend is that it's being shipped via UPS. ( I work for FedEx)

Brandon Belew
02-19-2008, 13:47
Fed Ex isn't an option when ordering online that I saw ;) I wish it was, I do prefer Fed Ex over UPS ( sometimes ).

UPS has a bad habit of not delivering, and not leaving a note. Fed Ex normally leaves a note, but I can't drive out and pick it up since we don't have a Fed Ex sort facility here.

I've learned to just ship everything to my work

terrillja
02-19-2008, 13:54
That reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw one the internet before. "Got new scuba gear for my wife, sure was a good trade."

Discount Divers - Got New Scuba Gear For My Wife... Bumper Sticker (http://www.discount-divers.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=4968H1)

My dad liked it, my mom didn't, still trying to figure out why...

This place has some funny stickers:
Discount Divers (http://www.discount-divers.com/eshop/10Browse.asp)

(sorry L+J, but you guys don't have anything near their sticker selection)

RoyN
02-19-2008, 14:11
I have no wife, but I still have to save. :(

I'm tempted to buy that wide angle lens, but gotta save money for airfills, charters, and the upcoming vacation!

mwhities
02-19-2008, 14:22
Fed Ex isn't an option when ordering online that I saw ;) I wish it was, I do prefer Fed Ex over UPS ( sometimes ).

UPS has a bad habit of not delivering, and not leaving a note. Fed Ex normally leaves a note, but I can't drive out and pick it up since we don't have a Fed Ex sort facility here.

UPS knocks and leaves. FedEx knocks and waits. I've even had FedEx call me (I was away from the house.) and asked if I wanted to meet up later to get my package. Met up and got my packages. Very cool.

hoobascooba
02-19-2008, 14:32
ugh.

lol.

sounds all too familiar bro!

Brandon Belew
02-19-2008, 14:43
I think the main problem is going to be:

"You spent 700+ on dive gear, but still haven't bought me a ring?"

My rebutle

"Make up your damn mind women, you've been browsing for the 'perfect' ring for 2 months".

:D

terrillja
02-19-2008, 14:44

UPS knocks and leaves. FedEx knocks and waits. I've even had FedEx call me (I was away from the house.) and asked if I wanted to meet up later to get my package. Met up and got my packages. Very cool.
Well I guess it depends on the delivery guy. We had a package which was supposed to come on christmas eve, and when we checked it online it was showing as delivered to mailbox. Our mailbox is the locking kind that you can't put a package in, so we were rather perplexed as to how it was delivered there. We went up and looked all around our mailbox and saw nothing. We figured that maybe our neighbors had grabbed it thinking it was for them (our mailboxes are together). The next day a random truck came by and stopped at our house with our package. Turns out the fedex truck just dumped a half dozen packages in someone's driveway and then left. The driveway was about 1/10 of a mile from our house. We were lucky to have someone generous enough to come fin our hosue and bring it to us.

On the other hand, I ordered from leisurepro, since they are so close to me (sorry ST, but you can't make up for distance unless you open a store on the east coast), and when I tracked the package it went from NYC to NJ to VA TO NC. On the day it was supposed to be delivered, UPS was still saying it was on time and would be there that day, while the package was in NC, not NH. It took another week to get the package back to NH since it sat in NC for a few days while they tried to figure out why it was there. I called lesiurepro and asked for a refund on shipping, since ups was going to give the shipper a refund on shipping and they could have cared less. I love ST, but when I needed something yesterday, I still turn to LP, since they are geographically so close, and assume that UPS won't mess up again.

terrillja
02-19-2008, 14:46
I think the main problem is going to be:

"You spent 700+ on dive gear, but still haven't bought me a ring?"

My rebutle

"Make up your damn mind women, you've been browsing for the 'perfect' ring for 2 months".

:D
Haha, it seems like all the girls at my college already have "the ring" picked out.

DRNightdiver
02-19-2008, 14:49
Brandon...

I would recommend that you let somebody else teach her. I tried teaching my wife something once.......once. I no longer give her advice...solicited or not. Unfortunatly it took me 10 years to figure that one out.

medic001918
02-19-2008, 14:59
Teaching her to dive simply doubles your expense...I learned from experience.

Shane

DivingCRNA
02-19-2008, 15:56
WTF? A TANK LIGHT?

I woulda went dry suit if I wanted to make a point.... Come on! Man up!

Brandon Belew
02-19-2008, 16:08
What's the point of diving if your not going to get wet? :D

Last Nov when I went on that house boat trip, on the night dives they all were wearing a tank light and I didn't have one.

Now I do ;)

Wolfie2012
02-19-2008, 16:08
Last Friday was bonus check day so over the past 4 days I've spent like $2500 on some gear upgrades - 24watt canister, wireless AI comp, new fins, drygloves, and miscellaneous little stuff. The only way I could talk my wife into that was to hand her the same amount of cash to buy what she wanted.

She does dive too, but regardless of whether she dove or not, I would still have twice the expense!

Brandon Belew
02-19-2008, 16:13
Everyone gets more money then me :(

I only got back like 1300$ for my refund

terrillja
02-19-2008, 16:17

Right now it's 21 in Rochester, NY. If you want to get wet go for it, I'll make sure to give EMS a heads up.

Brandon Belew
02-19-2008, 16:24
I live in KS ;) water isn't that bad here and I don't get cold easily.

Speaking of Rochester..

I was in Rochester in Jan ( company I work for is headquartered in Fairport ) I was expecting it to be all cold. Forgot my jacket at home and didn't realize it till I was sitting in kansas city. I was going to rough it, but my fiancee made me buy a new jacket..... Short sleeve weather in Rochester...... :/

RoyN
02-19-2008, 16:33
Everyone gets more money then me :(

I only got back like 1300$ for my refund

Thats the amount I'm getting! :D

terrillja
02-19-2008, 17:28
I live in KS ;) water isn't that bad here and I don't get cold easily.

Speaking of Rochester..

I was in Rochester in Jan ( company I work for is headquartered in Fairport ) I was expecting it to be all cold. Forgot my jacket at home and didn't realize it till I was sitting in kansas city. I was going to rough it, but my fiancee made me buy a new jacket..... Short sleeve weather in Rochester...... :/
Yeah, we have had some weird weather. It was 50 saturday night, then it dropped like crazy and our high tomorrow is 22. It's been alternating warm and cold weeks with almost no snow, which is depressing for someone who calls home to NH to hear about 5-10' snowbanks...

newways
02-19-2008, 17:51
I've stayed off the radar by using my paypal money...However, I spend alot of time frequenting garage sales in the summer and reselling all that crap...It's almost like a second job. AND...I'm able to keep the balance of my account out of my fiance's eyes. Don't ask, Don't tell.

Brandon Belew
02-20-2008, 14:27
I think I can hide the dive light in my dive bag, it isn't too big. I think she'll understand the wetsuit, since in the long run it's saving money since I normally rent a 7mm.

So maybe she'll never have to know ;)

mwhities
02-20-2008, 14:37
I've stayed off the radar by using my paypal money...However, I spend alot of time frequenting garage sales in the summer and reselling all that crap...It's almost like a second job. AND...I'm able to keep the balance of my account out of my fiance's eyes. Don't ask, Don't tell.

I promised my wife I'd never lie to her about it.. I just hope she never asks. :\

Brandon Belew
02-20-2008, 14:42
I think my excuse is going to be....

"But baby, the federal government donated the money so I could buy better gear".

It might work

MLenyo
02-20-2008, 15:23
I think my excuse is going to be....

"But baby, the federal government donated the money so I could buy better gear".

It might work

how can she argue with that, i ask you?

she can't! the frickin' GOVERNMENT wants you to buy better gear!

Brandon Belew
02-20-2008, 15:31
If only the government donated more! I could use a few tanks, pony bottle, maybe a dual tank setup, a new computer, a zeagle brigade, plus some.

DivingCRNA
02-21-2008, 08:57

Last Nov when I went on that house boat trip, on the night dives they all were wearing a tank light and I didn't have one.

Now I do ;)

Well, if all the cool kids have tanks lights, it is a good thing you got one too!

Brandon Belew
02-21-2008, 10:24
It wasn't a matter of "cool kids" - I was doing my AOW night dives and was told I needed one. So I had to beg someone for a glow stick to hang on my tank. Plus as cheap as they are it isn't a waste ;)

Brandon Belew
02-21-2008, 17:04
Gear is here ;) Now - to get it home without her noticing :D

terrillja
02-21-2008, 17:35
Gear is here ;) Now - to get it home without her noticing :D
Well come home early and make dinner, then ease into the whole well.. I got some things...

Brandon Belew
02-21-2008, 18:59
She took it alright, not a big deal. Now if only I had some place to go dive to test it out :D

terrillja
02-21-2008, 19:04
She took it alright, not a big deal. Now if only I had some place to go dive to test it out :D
By took it well do you mean you got the response of "fine"? One of the most contradictory responses ever.

fine aka "Well I wish you didn't get this and I think it's a waste, why don't you return it?"

Now if women would just say what they really wanted to...

Brandon Belew
02-21-2008, 19:09
We're not married yet, so she knows that I can do whatever I want with my money ;)

We aren't getting married till next may, so she can have the next income tax check.

Wolfie2012
02-21-2008, 19:26
We aren't getting married till next may, so she can have the next income tax check.

That's what you say now, but what about next year's new toys? ;)

Brandon Belew
02-21-2008, 20:25
I know :( I guess i'll have to cross that bridge when I get there ;)

terrillja
02-21-2008, 20:27
I know :( I guess i'll have to cross that bridge when I get there ;)
By bridge you mean plank, right?

Brandon Belew
02-21-2008, 21:43
Of course

Seniordiver
02-22-2008, 09:14
ugh.

lol.
A husband and wife came for counseling after 15 years of marriage.
When asked what the problem was, the wife went into a passionate, painful tirade listing every problem they had ever had in the 15 years they had been married. She went on and on and on: neglect, lack of intimacy, emptiness, loneliness, feeling unloved and unlovable, an entire laundry list of un-met needs she had endured over the course of their marriage.
Finally, after allowing this to go on for a sufficient length of time, the
therapist got up, walked around the desk and, after asking the wife to
stand, embraced and kissed her passionately. The woman shut up and quietly sat down as though in a daze. The therapist turned to the husband and said, "This is what your wife needs at least three times a week. Can you do this?" The husband thought for a moment and replied,.. "Well, I can drop her off
here on Mondays and Wednesdays, but on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sunday I dive."

mm2002
02-26-2008, 12:33
A few weeks ago I told my wife I wanted to get a new BC, and a computer. She said that was fine with her, and she went to the LDS with me to shop. She came home with a new BC and computer too. :smiley29:

Heinous1
06-01-2008, 07:59
I recently had a similar issue. I was headed home one afternoon and swung into my LDS and ordered a new Aqualung Kronos and console the shop owner threw in the octo for free. These had to be ordered and I felt I had done well but I still needed a BC and my LDS didn't have what I wanted. On my way to the house it struck me that I could survive so I took the wife to another LDS and got her an Atomic Aquatics B2 a console and a Hera BCD with alt air source. We were checking out and she asked me if "I" needed anything so i was able to pick up an Oceanic Excursion BCD. A few days later when my reg came in i picked it up and when i got home my wife just said that she liked it and couldn't wait to go to the lake and try it all out which then led to me picking up some tanks from my LDS. A little devious but we both have the gear we wanted and she of course outspent me and then she asked for some new shoes.