PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming - The continuing saga??

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
02-19-2008, 17:21
I know there have been posts on both sides of this issue but wanted to share some recent info.

Newsmax.com - Global Warming? New Data Shows Ice Is Back (http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/global_warming_or_cooling/2008/02/19/73798.html?s=al&promo_code=457E-1)

I particularly like the last line of the article.:smiley36:

terrillja
02-19-2008, 17:33
I know there have been posts on both sides of this issue but wanted to share some recent info.

Newsmax.com - Global Warming? New Data Shows Ice Is Back (http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/global_warming_or_cooling/2008/02/19/73798.html?s=al&promo_code=457E-1)

I particularly like the last line of the article.:smiley36:
Time to invest in dupont for thinsulate...

pyre24
02-19-2008, 17:43
Need to get that artic wetsuit soon then. im cold thinking about it.

newways
02-19-2008, 17:44
This is the coldest winter I've felt in the last ten years.

cummings66
02-19-2008, 17:50
It's still somehow our fault, I'm sure mankind has done something to cause this. Lets see, the smog is making the sun blot out and so that's made the temps drop.

See, it's still mankind, dang it.

wgt
02-19-2008, 17:52
Thank goodness that an unbiased reputable news service was here to clear up that whole mess for us. I think that I'll go outside now and burn some plastic.

Z-naught
02-19-2008, 18:49
NewsMax is just a conservative propaganda rag, so anything you read there needs a strong dose of skepticism. The article's claims are pretty silly. The global warming phenomenon is one measured over long periods of time, over many decades or centuries, and not from year to year. It's also important to keep in mind that the term 'global warming' doesn't denote rising temperatures everywhere, but instead refers to the rising global average temperature. Indeed, some parts of the globe may experience colder than normal temperatures as climatic systems are disrupted worldwide.

I think the article is a good example of the kind of disinformation and misconceptions there are about the global warming phenomenon.

UCFKnightDiver
02-19-2008, 19:41
I think that I never know what the hell to believe anymore. But ohh noes its the day after tomorrow scenario lol

plot
02-19-2008, 19:47
I thought this was going to be about how lake mead is gonna be dry by 2021.

FOUNDATIONER
02-20-2008, 00:43
These idiots can't even get the forecast right over the next 12 hours and you expect me to believe that they know what is going to happen over the next 10, 20 or 50 years? Global Warming has been going on for
12000 years. Too slow for my taste.

cummings66
02-20-2008, 07:07
See, I was right. I knew it couldn't be true. It's fine if one year the weather turns out hot, prime example of global warming, but if it's cold the reverse is not true. That's what I mean, we will never win the battle. 10,000 years from now we'll still be debating this with the same rhetoric.

hoobascooba
02-20-2008, 07:23
so the "lost" ice was found, or was simply misplaced?

glad they found it, I was burnin up!!

Osprey
02-20-2008, 07:25
Thank goodness that an unbiased reputable news service was here to clear up that whole mess for us. I think that I'll go outside now and burn some plastic.

:smiley32::smiley32::smiley32:

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
02-20-2008, 07:25
See, I was right. I knew it couldn't be true. It's fine if one year the weather turns out hot, prime example of global warming, but if it's cold the reverse is not true. That's what I mean, we will never win the battle. 10,000 years from now we'll still be debating this with the same rhetoric.

I hope we are all around to be debating this in 10,000 years!! Of course we might be too old to dive then!

As for global warming I agree with the statement that this is one of the coldest winters we've had in a long time. I am doing my part though, every night when I get home I spray 2 cans of aerosol outside but so far it hasn't helped!:smilie39:

Garrobo
02-20-2008, 08:28
You always get someone who derides any information with which they disagree as coming from either a conservative or liberal disinformation rag depending upon which side of the particular issue they stand. Personally, I've been freezing my *** off this winter and my only savior is that I have been fortunate enough to be able to go to the Keys and dive once a month or more and it hasn't been all that hot down there this year either.

Byte Me
02-20-2008, 09:04
NewsMax is just a conservative propaganda rag, so anything you read there needs a strong dose of skepticism. The article's claims are pretty silly. The global warming phenomenon is one measured over long periods of time, over many decades or centuries, and not from year to year. It's also important to keep in mind that the term 'global warming' doesn't denote rising temperatures everywhere, but instead refers to the rising global average temperature. Indeed, some parts of the globe may experience colder than normal temperatures as climatic systems are disrupted worldwide.

I think the article is a good example of the kind of disinformation and misconceptions there are about the global warming phenomenon.

:smilie39::smilie39: Conservative propaganda rag :smilie39::smilie39:

:smilie39::smilie39: Good example of the kind of disinformation and misconceptions there are about <cue ominous music & speak in low "bad guy voice"> THE GLOBAL WARMING PHENOMENON :smilie39::smilie39:

Like all the published articles with another viewpoint are totally unbiased and have no agenda so they should be taken as gospel!! That their claims and postulations are so sound they rank on the same level as men being created equal and rights to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness - you know, truths that are self evident!!

Like they don't spread ANY disinformation or promote misconceptions about "The New Religion of the 21st Century".

:smilie39::smilie39:

wgt
02-20-2008, 09:39

Whoa, easy there, Big Fellah!!! On whatever side of the issue one falls, one would be a fool to argue for a particular chronic trend, based on a momentary event (noting that how we define a moment is potentially problematic). Saying that humans are not warming the earth because the frost hit the pumpkins earlier than 12 years ago, or saying that global warming is rampant because less rain fell in Australia this year than during the previous 9 years is a fool's game. It would be like me saying, "I feel tired this afternoon...I must have chronic fatigue syndrome." Ridiculous!

The point is that some people on both sides of the question use erroneous arguments and underhanded rhetorical tactics to support their opinions. However, just because one of the other guys plays dirty pool doesn't mean that I have to do likewise. A cheater is a cheater, irrespective of the justification.

As for my arguments, it has taken mother nature millions of years to extract the energy from countless organisms and store it in the gaseous, liquid, or solid states that we call fossil fuels. It is only really during the last couple of hundred years that we have invested enormous effort and brain-power in setting those stores on fire. Hence, millions of years of energy is being unleashed suddenly by geological standards. This contributes directly to the amount of kinetic energy of the air, land, and water. By-products of the combustion (e.g., CO2) are also enormously effective in absorbing and retaining heat.

But how do these facts relate to questions of arithmetic contributions of human activities to global temperature? Global temperature has been rising and falling cyclically for hundreds of millennia. Tightly linked to this thermal cycle are cyclical accumulations and losses of CO2. When the earth heats up with rising CO2 levels, it is not unreasonable to assume that CO2-utilizing organisms proliferate, subsequently causing a decline in CO2 concentration, a loss of heat, and then a decline in the numbers of CO2-utilizing organisms, which would then allow the cycle to resume afresh. Adding variability to this cycle would be solar and geological events.

Now, we are seeing a new phenomenon. Overlapping with much of the industrial revolution, CO2 levels have spiked to levels twice the peak seen during the previous half billion years (see http://forum.scubatoys.com/attachments/surface-interval/786d1194521085-temperature-data-support-global-warming-hoax-co2temp.jpg (http://forum.scubatoys.com/attachments/surface-interval/786d1194521085-temperature-data-support-global-warming-hoax-co2temp.jpg) -- look at the height of the red line on the far right of the graph). Trends in temperature during the industrial revolution along with the corresponding spike in CO2 levels cause me to believe that we are causing temperatures to rise higher and faster than would be expected at this phase of the global temperature cycle.

Again, that is my belief. My worry, however, is that global temperatures will rapidly recouple with atmospheric CO2 concentrations to cause shocking changes in temperature, well outside of normal year-to-year variability. With American reluctance to risk growth by altering its energy-consuming practices plus an emergent middle class in China and India that will demand duplication of the American experience, the CO2 spike may only be in its infancy. Similarly, human impact on global temperature may also be embryonic.

Could my belief be inaccurate? Yes!!! Could my fears be unfounded? Absolutely!!! Is it possible that humans are simply too insignificant to impact the climate? Of course!!! Do these possibilities bring me comfort in the face of the evidence and risks? Not even slightly!!!

pyre24
02-20-2008, 09:46
Nicely said.

Garrobo
02-20-2008, 10:39
Yeah well, as I've stated before: As long as the Earth isn't going to go up in a ball of fire in the next twenty or so years, which is probably all I've got left, I ain't going to worry about it.

UCFKnightDiver
02-20-2008, 11:14
Yeah well, as I've stated before: As long as the Earth isn't going to go up in a ball of fire in the next twenty or so years, which is probably all I've got left, I ain't going to worry about it.

that seems to be the problem to me all these people say well I wont be around why should I care? and it just keeps getting worse.

This is not necessarily aimed at global warming either. This way of thinking effects many things.

Garrobo
02-20-2008, 19:22
There's an old adage which goes something like this: "If you can't do anything about it, don't worry about it. Only worry about things which you can actually change." I'll add: "In your lifetime."

UCFKnightDiver
02-20-2008, 19:41
heres my own adage if everyone thinks like that then there certainly wont be anything done and I guess to be honest I got that from my dad

mm2002
02-20-2008, 20:21
The one thing I truly believe is that the demise of our planet will be the human beings who inhabit it. Those who don't believe that we have the knowledge and power to do so....just wait. This whole thing was just an experiment! Somewhere out there, someone is looking at this universe in a test tube saying to someone else...."see, I told ya so!" :smiley36:

cummings66
02-20-2008, 20:22
I don't think humanity will ever know the answer. In a way I suppose I believe we've done harm, but I just don't want to acknowledge it because that gives the radicals ammo to wipe out humanity which I believe is their ultimate goal.

It reminds me of a Space 1999 episode, The Rules of Luton. The plant life took over and wiped out the people because of the damage they were doing to the planet.

cummings66
02-20-2008, 20:25
Speaking of the power to destroy the planet, I believe we've had to power to do that for a long time and luckily we've exercised restraint. I'm sure someday we'll kill it off via some virus or some such thing gone awry. Surprising it hasn't happened so far.

Are you aware of the experiments the government did on our population in the 50's or 60's I think it was, they released flu virus to see how long a germ warfare battle would take, and then waited.

pyre24
02-20-2008, 20:51
Speaking of the power to destroy the planet, I believe we've had to power to do that for a long time and luckily we've exercised restraint. I'm sure someday we'll kill it off via some virus or some such thing gone awry. Surprising it hasn't happened so far.

Are you aware of the experiments the government did on our population in the 50's or 60's I think it was, they released flu virus to see how long a germ warfare battle would take, and then waited.
I think we would kill ourselves off first trying to prove who is better. Ive heard of a few governments doing experiments on their people.We can all play our small part in trying to not let that happen. But in the end who knows...

mm2002
02-20-2008, 21:09
Speaking of the power to destroy the planet, I believe we've had to power to do that for a long time and luckily we've exercised restraint.

I agree with ya brother, but unfortunately, that power is growing every day while our ability to exercise restraint is diminishing. I hope I'm wrong though....for our kids sake.

plot
02-20-2008, 21:24
Obviously with all this global warming that's been going on, we can expect to see an ice age in the next 5-10 years.

WAHMof2
02-21-2008, 10:58
Some think that 2012 is it. I suppose we'll all know when the time comes!

2012: End of the Fifth Sun (http://www.diagnosis2012.co.uk/5thsun.htm)