PDA

View Full Version : wetsuit sizing

matt151617
02-20-2008, 00:20
I've been reading charts, etc, and realized I don't fit in any of the particular sizes. I weigh 168 pounds, but I'm 6'2"... by weight, I'm in the medium range, but by height, I'm in the large/ex-large range. Do I compromise on large, to get the height correct, but risk having it just a little too loose? I know there is places that custom size wetsuits, but not around here, and it's very expensive. Waist is 32", chest is 40". The higher-end manufactures offer large long, which is perfect, but those are way out of my price range. Ideas for the standard S/M/L/XL suits?

wxboy911
02-20-2008, 06:46
Hey, the only way for you to find a suit that fits well is to hit some of the local shops...Take a ride and try some on. When you find the one you like consider buying it there if the price is not too much higher than the web. Based on the location listed in your profile there are 3 shops in your area...
There is one just off exit 8 of the Northway and also Diving Discovery on Central Ave...There is another shop in Ballston Spa but I am not sure they have wetsuits in stock. I have bought gear at all 3 shops and they all seem pretty nice.

http://www.capitalandscuba.com/
http://www.adirondackscuba.com/

DarinMartell
02-20-2008, 07:25
Lets see... 168#, 6'2"... 32" waist and 40" chest.... And you can't find a wetsuit to fit? Know what I'm holding? The worlds smallest violin!!!:smiley36:

If you can't afford custom sizing the wetsuit do what I did... Custom size yourself. Just a few dollars a day ordering from the McDonalds $ menu and you will fit in that extra large in no time! :smilie39:

Man I wish I had your problems!

newways
02-20-2008, 08:32
I have the same problem..5'10" 140#. All my wetsuits pull up into my crotch. I have 'put everything to one side'.

ReefHound
02-20-2008, 08:40
If you can't go custom then I would choose weight over height. You want the suit to fit snug. If it's loose you'll have excess water movement that ruins the thermal protection. If the sleeves or legs are too long or short, that can be more easily adjusted. In your case, they might be a little short. It isn't going to hurt if your sleeves end above your wrist, you don't lose a lot of heat there. I roll mine back anyway so I can see my watch (backup timer). Same deal on the ankles.

hoobascooba
02-20-2008, 08:51
i've got a wetsuit stretcher for rent...

the patches to repair the holes and tears are extra.

NoTime58
02-20-2008, 09:05
Follow the advice of your fellow New Yorker (wxboy911)and head to one of your local dive shops and do the changing room dance putting them on for the correct fit. Or better yet, call the shops and tell them of your dilemma and see if they think they have anything in stock that will fit you......otherwise do the custom order deal !!

matt151617
02-21-2008, 12:33
I have no lack of flab... there's just not a whole ton of it. I'm just not fat. I used to weigh 215 pounds, then I started swimming heavily, and dropped to 168.

Thanks for the advice, I'll follow up at a local dive shop.