PDA

View Full Version : Giatn Stride in a drysuit

skdvr
02-20-2008, 12:46
I have never done a giant Stride wearing a drysuit, adn I just have visions of jumping in and the suit burping and getting a big splash of water inside. Is that not the case? If that does happen what can I do to stop it? I am taking my new drysuit to the pool tonight and the section that they let me get into there is no way of walking in. Walking in is the only way that I have ever gotten into the water with a drysuit.

Thanks
Phil

terrillja
02-20-2008, 13:26
I have never done a giant Stride wearing a drysuit, adn I just have visions of jumping in and the suit burping and getting a big splash of water inside. Is that not the case? If that does happen what can I do to stop it? I am taking my new drysuit to the pool tonight and the section that they let me get into there is no way of walking in. Walking in is the only way that I have ever gotten into the water with a drysuit.

Thanks
Phil
You can make the burp less by crouching into a ball to minimize the amount of air in the suit, while putting two fingers in the neck seal to let the air out. Pull your fingers out after all the air has come out, the suit should be compressed to you, and you should be able to jump in w/o a big burp.

skdvr
02-20-2008, 13:29
I have the fusion so there is not a lot of air in it to begin with so hopefully I can get what ever is left over out of there. If not I guess I will try a few times until I can get it figured out.

Phil

CompuDude
02-20-2008, 13:32
It's simply not as big of an issue as you fear. Try it a couple of times and you won't be worried about it any more.

texdiveguy
02-20-2008, 13:39
Here is the method....pre burp as much air as you can prior to the entry.....in no fashion inflate the suit prior to a jse....I have seen neck seals blow as a result of this.

cummings66
02-20-2008, 14:06
You'll find it's just like a wetsuit for the most part. Just don't pre inflate it prior to entry and you'll not even know the difference.

skdvr
02-21-2008, 05:39
It was no problem last night. I was worried for nothing. My undergarment did end up wet, I am just not sure if it was from sweat or from a leak. I guess I will find out in a few weeks when it is in colder water...

Phil

texdiveguy
02-21-2008, 11:07
It was no problem last night. I was worried for nothing. My undergarment did end up wet, I am just not sure if it was from sweat or from a leak. I guess I will find out in a few weeks when it is in colder water...

Phil

Great...well done!!

Its not uncommon to have a bit of 'sweat' on the undergarment.

Also just make double sure the cuff of the undergarment arms does not get stuck under the wrist seals, they will act like a sponge...not fun.

terrillja
02-21-2008, 11:10

Phil

Good to hear that you were fine w/ entry. My first time in a DS I had one with too big of a neck seal and I got a little bit of hypothermia. One thing to make sure of with the DS is that you turn your body to look rather than turning your head. Turning your head is how you tend to get neck leaks. I learned that one the (cold) way.

skdvr
02-21-2008, 13:29
Thanks again for all the info and help...

Phil

justaddwater_ifukuda
02-21-2008, 15:26
When I don't vent my drysuit on the boat, the burp blows the bib of my DUI warm neck hood out of the collar during a GSE. But, this never resulted in any water getting into the suit.

Before jumping in the water, crack open the neck seal a little and crouch down to get air out of the suit.

cummings66
02-21-2008, 19:30
It was no problem last night. I was worried for nothing. My undergarment did end up wet, I am just not sure if it was from sweat or from a leak.

If it's a leak when you slap the sleeve or where it's wet it will be solid with water, if it's just dampness it'll be dry under it and feel quite different meaning it's likely just sweat or condensation.

skdvr
02-21-2008, 19:36
It was no problem last night. I was worried for nothing. My undergarment did end up wet, I am just not sure if it was from sweat or from a leak.

If it's a leak when you slap the sleeve or where it's wet it will be solid with water, if it's just dampness it'll be dry under it and feel quite different meaning it's likely just sweat or condensation.

Thanks, that is kind of what I thought. I certainly could not ring it out it was damp all over, and I could not smell any chlorine.

Phil

mb104
02-21-2008, 22:50
If you burp the suit properly before the dive, there will be absolutely no issue with the air escaping when you take your giant stride. I would recommend taking a drysuit class or at least spending a little time diving with experienced drysuit divers before you venture out on your own with it. I gather by your post that you are a drysuit newbee, so you should know that they do take some practice and some getting used to. I would not recommend just jumping in without knowing what you were doing. In any drysuit class, you would review this exact issue.