PDA

View Full Version : Used/Old Porsche Boxster

Ajuva
07-30-2007, 17:03
If Mwhities can do it for Regs, you just never know.

Heres hoping.:smiley36:

TAH 73
07-31-2007, 11:03
Ajuva,
If you are going to ask for a Porsche, at least ask for a good one. Drove a Boxster... Anemic, and not the true Porsche experience.

Ajuva
08-01-2007, 16:13
I'll remember that, although I just didn't want to be greedy!

shanenurse
08-15-2007, 16:02
I know this is an old thread, but could not help replying. I am guessing you have never driven a Boxster S. Car and Driver said that next to an 911 turbo it is the most exciting Porsche to drive, and out handles and out performs many "super" cars. If you want straight line acceleration, its not a Viper, but if you want to snake through "S" curves till your tush puckers, and your knuckles are white, then you cant beat a Porsche Boxster S.
shane

mwhities
08-15-2007, 16:22
If Mwhities can do it for Regs, you just never know.

Heres hoping.:smiley36:

Why do you wanna pick on me? :(

Michael

TAH 73
08-15-2007, 16:35
I know this is an old thread, but could not help replying. I am guessing you have never driven a Boxster S. Car and Driver said that next to an 911 turbo it is the most exciting Porsche to drive, and out handles and out performs many "super" cars. If you want straight line acceleration, its not a Viper, but if you want to snake through "S" curves till your tush puckers, and your knuckles are white, then you cant beat a Porsche Boxster S.
shane

Actually driven quite few Boxter's, Boxter S, 911's, GT2's/GT3's in a road track setting not in a straight line, and not on city streets.

The Boxter/Boxter S is a very neutral car, designed not to get into trouble it does handle well, but does not have allot of feedback. I also take Road and Track with a grain of salt, I know with my personal car I was able to run the 1/4 mi a full second faster than they were in testing. In lapping sessions I run well above the Boxter S's, with a 95 Eclipse GSX, no it's not stock, but I have much less than the price of a Boxter S in it as well.

Want a great handling car, jump into a Lotus Elise, i drove one it was like a giant go-cart, a true drivers car.
about .5 sec slower in the 1/4 mi, but out on the track it will run circles around a Boxter S
In a sports car shootout Road and track also ranked it 6th out of 8 cars, beat by an Evo 8, an Elise, Covette Z06, and others.
The only thing it was ranked above was a M3, and a Mazda MP3.

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/information/press/magazine/magazine2002/getagrip1.html

Black-Gorrilla
08-15-2007, 17:20
most of those cars are expensive trash... if you want a go fast car, that can be put on a track... go look at an mkIV supra TT... good on the track, good on the road, and cheap power is readily available, and it will get more looks that most any other "super car"

Flatliner
08-16-2007, 20:14
No way, Yugo's are ALL it...

OK maybe not.

Flat

mike_s
08-16-2007, 21:10
as long as it's not one of those damn Honda Civics with a cheap oversized mufler and whale-tail-fin that doesn't match the paint job!

GONEHAWKN
08-17-2007, 06:24
oversized mufler

we call that a FART PIPE. my buddy owns a Meineke shop and just loves the bone heads that come in wanting these things. he said they cost next to nothing to buy wholesale and takes all of about 30 minutes to put one on. he says he has a hard time keeping them in stock.......

porsche060
08-18-2007, 08:53
Used to have a 944s.. Miss it...

DiverJoe
08-24-2007, 17:07
Most of the cars mentioned and fun in thier own right (even the Yugo, if you call it funn spray painting it and releasing the e-brake on a steep hill...ummm, yeah) anyway, I still like the older cars that when built beat the heck out of an everyday, run of the mill, if you have the money you can have one, styless car...IMHO. However, for those that love proformance, enjoy diversity and don't mind baning around in a shop to customize (not just bolt on a "over-size muffler" but truely, makeing something out of nothing, or modifying and replacing) then you can hardly beat a little Datsun 510. Coupe, sedan or wagon, right- or left-hand drive. These are my favorite little sports car out there and best of all, no smog.

Don't get me wrong I still love the newer cars, and there is something (which I won't repeat here) to be said about a "turn-key" operation, but like most techies (diver or otherwise) I still prefer some one-of-a-kind originality that kicks tail-pipes!

Dive and drive well!

Ajuva
08-25-2007, 14:40
:smiley19:I've still had no offers though

ebinezer
09-13-2008, 18:29
It is such a car whicha can be compared with BMW. The Porsche Boxster is a mid engine roadster built by Porsche. The Boxster is Porsche's first vehicle designed by Raymond Barth from the beginning as a roadster all previous Porsche convertibles were based on hardtop coupes.

ebinezer
Used Cars (http://used.gov-auctions.org)

mitsuguy
09-14-2008, 00:24
shane

Actually driven quite few Boxter's, Boxter S, 911's, GT2's/GT3's in a road track setting not in a straight line, and not on city streets.

The Boxter/Boxter S is a very neutral car, designed not to get into trouble it does handle well, but does not have allot of feedback. I also take Road and Track with a grain of salt, I know with my personal car I was able to run the 1/4 mi a full second faster than they were in testing. In lapping sessions I run well above the Boxter S's, with a 95 Eclipse GSX, no it's not stock, but I have much less than the price of a Boxter S in it as well.

Want a great handling car, jump into a Lotus Elise, i drove one it was like a giant go-cart, a true drivers car.
about .5 sec slower in the 1/4 mi, but out on the track it will run circles around a Boxter S
In a sports car shootout Road and track also ranked it 6th out of 8 cars, beat by an Evo 8, an Elise, Covette Z06, and others.
The only thing it was ranked above was a M3, and a Mazda MP3.

Lotus Elise Press, Road and Track Get a Grip! (http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/information/press/magazine/magazine2002/getagrip1.html)

You took the words right out of my mouth... my track car was a 500 horsey 91 TSI AWD... Ex roommate had a Lotus Elise - awesome little car (needed about 50 more hp though)...

My argument against the Porsche Boxster is that it cheapens Porsche's name IMO... God forbid Ferrari or Lambo follow suit and built 40k mass market cars... Not only do you get lackluster performance, but you also get a car that most technicians won't touch and are a huge pain in the ass to work on - just to see the engine is a feat not for the timid...

Black-Gorrilla
09-14-2008, 00:51
I think i found the car of my dreams!!!
1.8l v8, 900 horsepower, eats tires like crazy and is built for track.
I need to buy a F1 car before i die (i got some time)

Mtrewyn
09-14-2008, 15:00

I just bought a '84 944 to work on this winter with my dad, got 70k miles original paint, no body work,needs some interior work and we'll probably do some engine mods but nothing too drastic, want to keep it original first production year low numbers and all. Just has not been stated in over 10 years, got it for a song too :smiley20:

too bad it was not scuba gear but baggers cannot be choosers

TN Traveler
09-14-2008, 15:06

I just bought a '84 944 to work on this winter with my dad, got 70k miles original paint, no body work,needs some interior work and we'll probably do some engine mods but nothing too drastic, want to keep it original first production year low numbers and all. Just has not been stated in over 10 years, got it for a song too :smiley20:

too bad it was not scuba gear but baggers cannot be choosers

Actually the 944 was originally introduced as an '83.
I've got one that I've had since it was new - 49K miles. Only thing it needs is a new insulating panel under the front hood and a clock. I did upgrade the radio, when to orignal died.

Fun car to drive and autocross.

PS - I have a '59 DA Aquamaster that I also still use.