PDA

View Full Version : Diving Comal March 2nd

mitsuguy
02-20-2008, 20:12
going with a LDS - Duggan Diving, Sunday March 1st... Comal river...

I think I have a friend to go with... anyone else?
OMG I'M AN IDIOT

Sunday is MARCH 2nd!

this is what happens when I don't consult my blackberry to schedule things...

this dive will be Sunday, March 2nd, not March 1st...

Sorry for any confusion

jessh
02-20-2008, 22:12
I might be up for it if anyone wants to make the treck from Austin.

~Jess

CaptainRon
02-20-2008, 22:52
Any specifics on times? I might try to get out there with my kids for a dive or two.

mitsuguy
02-21-2008, 07:32
Any specifics on times? I might try to get out there with my kids for a dive or two.

Yah, the plan is to leave NE San Antonio (1604/I-35 area) where Duggan Diving is around 8 AM, and be at the Comal around 9ish...

Duggan will have air / tanks / any other rentals available... ($10/tank rental)

They are going this weekend as well, and he said pretty much every weekend that the weather cooperates, but I have to fly sunday night...

Talk to Art @ Duggan Diving... (mm_dm is who referred me)

mm_dm
02-21-2008, 07:58
I'll mark it down as well. That would be sweet to get a good group together. Any preferences for the lower or the upper Comal?

TX1Chica
02-21-2008, 14:07
I expect a full report when you guys get back:)

mitsuguy
02-21-2008, 20:02
I'll mark it down as well. That would be sweet to get a good group together. Any preferences for the lower or the upper Comal?

never been either... was just gonna kinda go with the flow... so long as I'm underwater, I'll be happy...

mm_dm
02-22-2008, 08:18
Cool, I'll figure it out. We'll see how many show up.

ParrotheadDiver
02-24-2008, 14:57
It will be a great way to celebrate TEXAS Independence Day:smiley_scuba:

ReefHound
02-24-2008, 16:14
[quote=CaptainRon;135990]They are going this weekend as well, and he said pretty much every weekend that the weather cooperates, but I have to fly sunday night...

At 10 to 12 feet max, I don't think flying is even an issue.

mitsuguy
02-24-2008, 16:53
[quote=CaptainRon;135990]They are going this weekend as well, and he said pretty much every weekend that the weather cooperates, but I have to fly sunday night...

At 10 to 12 feet max, I don't think flying is even an issue.

I wasn't too terribly worried about it either, but being tired and flying, and I needed to spend time with the wife before the trip too...

so, its kinda 3 reasons all rolled into one...

mitsuguy
03-01-2008, 19:57
Alright, tomorrow it is... A friend is coming with me, and the wife will be coming, but not getting wet...

mitsuguy
03-02-2008, 19:49
Trip Report:

Fun dive - I could see myself doing this often...

Got there around 8:40ish, got geared up, and were in the water a little after 9 AM... I think there were 10 divers total- My friend Amanda (it was her first dive after OW class), myself, I met Mike (mm_dm here on the board), and about 7 others... The beautiful thing about this dive - easy parking, and we were in the water about an hour and twenty minutes, yet only ended up two blocks from where we started, ut travelled about 3/4 of a mile underwater... the current was very strong in some places, and we swam against it some, mainly to extend the dive a little - this worked to make two very tired divers - not exhausted though... I went through about 1200psi is all - amazing how little air you use when you are that shallow...

water temp was a solid 72 degrees - and my 4/3 neosport wetsuit (scubatoys special) was perfect for it - I even got a little warm towards the end... Max depth was 10 feet. We saw quite a few fish - and I collected two pairs of lost sunglasses :)

mitsuguy
03-02-2008, 20:00
wife - at the stairs leading to the water..
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/samitsuguy/scuba/IMG_0211.jpg

amanda
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/samitsuguy/scuba/IMG_0210.jpg

amanda again
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/samitsuguy/scuba/IMG_0214.jpg

me
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/samitsuguy/scuba/IMG_0224.jpg

hundreds of little perch like this
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/samitsuguy/scuba/IMG_0218.jpg

and this guy moved just when I clicked the button
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i117/samitsuguy/scuba/IMG_0231.jpg

ParrotheadDiver
03-03-2008, 06:41
Sounds like a great time....thanks for the report:smiley20:

mm_dm
03-03-2008, 07:45
It was a ball...and Cody and Crew are great people! Going to the Comal for me is like visiting an old friend. My usual dive buddy and I were glad for the change of pace from the tec diving we had been doing the last couple of months...just slap on a single tank and ride the current. It was especially nice to get that dive in before that nasty cold front came smashing into town.

One of the tube places on the upper Comal (the one right before the tube chute and across from the playground) is shoring up a retainer wall and dumping sediment into the river, so the upper Comal is a little messy right now. Some of that sediment has worked its' way down to the lower stretch, but not enough to totally screw up the viz. And as usual, water temps were around 71-72 degrees.

Gotta do this again real soon...

TX1Chica
03-03-2008, 10:01
Thanks for the report and the pics. Sounds like a fun time.

rfb3
03-03-2008, 10:26

OMG I'M AN IDIOT

Sunday is MARCH 2nd!

Sorry for any confusion

That leap year thing probably threw you off. :)
Thanks for the pics and report...
So how did amanda like her first OW dive?

awap
03-03-2008, 10:46
Where did you enter and exit?

Foo2
03-03-2008, 11:14
I'm so glad y'all had a good time! I wish I could have gone.:( Thanks for sharing!!!

mm_dm
03-03-2008, 14:21
Where did you enter and exit?

Garden Street in New Braunfels, right under the bridge. We came out around the bend. There's a set of stairs there that go down to the water and signs across the river stating that it's the last take out point before the Guadalupe. Art stands at the handrails and bangs on them with a wrench or uses a sub-alert to get your attention.

If I go on my own there's a point near the end where you are going over large flat white limestone on the bottom and the water gets fairly shallow. Just past there the white rock breaks up and you pass over parts of old retainer walls where the concrete is shaped like sand bags. I peak up at that point to see where the take out signs are so I don't overshoot the mark. There are three signs on a wire across the river and the stairs are right there.

mitsuguy
03-03-2008, 15:14

OMG I'M AN IDIOT

Sunday is MARCH 2nd!

Sorry for any confusion

That leap year thing probably threw you off. :)
Thanks for the pics and report...
So how did amanda like her first OW dive?

lets put it this way, on our way back she was asking about how good the specials at ST are... I showed her a package around $500 for bc, reg and computer that I think she's gonna do :)