PDA

View Full Version : M values

Ryanh1801
02-21-2008, 00:57
Just wondering if anyone had a good website with a explanation of this. It was our topic tonight in my Master class, and well im royally confused and would like to do some reading. This kind of stuff is really interesting to me, but im having a tough time understanding it all.

CompuDude
02-21-2008, 01:53
This may or may not be helpful:

http://www.gap-software.com/staticfiles/UnderstandingMvalues.pdf

mm_dm
02-21-2008, 08:10
That's an excellent link you furnished there, C-dude! Ryan, you're talking what's supposed to be the most difficult course in scuba (NAUI Master Scuba Diver), so go easy on yourself. Those first four or five chapters in the book have had some of the smartest people I know head's spinning like tops...none of the material is re-written for the layman. I found that reading a portion, taking a break and then re-reading the same part helped. Take a short walk or re-read some material from an earlier chapter. Hang in there!

Ryanh1801
02-21-2008, 08:29
This may or may not be helpful:

http://www.gap-software.com/staticfiles/UnderstandingMvalues.pdf

Thanks for the link, Ill give it a look when I get home today.:smiley20:

DivingCRNA
02-21-2008, 08:51
M values are you are really looking at when you look at NDLs. It is the most N2 you can have in your system without showing DCS signs.

CompuDude
02-21-2008, 11:26
M values are you are really looking at when you look at NDLs. It is the most N2 you can have in your system without showing DCS signs.

IF the specific algorithm determining the M-Value for your dive happens to match precisely with your body on that day at that moment in time, yes. It's all voodoo science, though, and highly imprecise, based on a series of guesses and tests where things didn't go too wrong, so be careful with absolute statements like that.

texdiveguy
02-21-2008, 11:38
Ryan.... your not the first to find this topic a wee bit confusing nor will you be the last. The link CompD gave you is pretty good and should be reviewed.

I persl. have a much better understanding of M&M values....they are all color coded!

Have fun, it will come together for you....and it does help by stopping off at 7-11 and getting a bag of M&M's prior to reading the article.

:)

DivingCRNA
02-21-2008, 12:59

IF the specific algorithm determining the M-Value for your dive happens to match precisely with your body on that day at that moment in time, yes. It's all voodoo science, though, and highly imprecise, based on a series of guesses and tests where things didn't go too wrong, so be careful with absolute statements like that.

Well, I never said that we know WHAT the M-value is... There is a definite difference between what tables, formulas and theories say and what really happens in your body. I should have said M-values are theoretically what you are looking at when you look at NDLs.

CompuDude
02-21-2008, 16:01

Well, I never said that we know WHAT the M-value is... There is a definite difference between what tables, formulas and theories say and what really happens in your body. I should have said M-values are theoretically what you are looking at when you look at NDLs.

No objection whatsoever to that phrasing. :)