PDA

View Full Version : Valve installation

newways
02-21-2008, 07:46
I just bought two brand new hp 119's. Got a great price on them.

However, they didn't come with the valves installed.

Now, I have a lot of mechanical inclination. I know I have the ability and tools to install them. My question is...Is my LDS going to want to do a visiual on them before filling? Or is a visual not required until one year from manufacture/hydro? The DoM is 11/07 and the tanks still have the plastic plugs in them from the factory.

Thanks in advance :smiley31:

fireflock
02-21-2008, 08:24
Do they have a VIP sticker?

Do you know anyone with a transfill whip?

If no VIP sticker, you're going to need one before anyone will fill it.

If there is a VIP sticker, some shops will chide you for not buying from them and require a full re-VIP. Others will offer to take a quick look inside just to be sure, and then fill it. It just depends on the attitude of the shop.

The full re-VIP usually is around $15-$20 bucks around here and included an air fill so if you saved more than $10-$15 bucks a tank you are still ahead.

A transfill whip will let you put a few hundred PSI in there from another tank. You really should check the inside though in case something odd happened to get in there. It's not likely, but I've heard some weird things.

Rich

cmburch
02-21-2008, 10:02
I am interested in getting an HP119. How much were they? Can I also order them? Thanks.

ScaredSilly
02-21-2008, 11:40
I know I have the ability and tools to install them.

First of all, no tools are required to install a valve. A bit more than hand tight is all that is needed. If a valve can not be removed with thump from the palm of your hand then it was put on too tight.

Is my LDS going to want to do a visiual on them before filling? Or is a visual not required until one year from manufacture/hydro? The DoM is 11/07 and the tanks still have the plastic plugs in them from the factory.

They do not always come from the factory clean or as clean as they say. So they should be inspected. If they already have been inspected I would at least take a peak in them before installing the valves and filling them with a little air. Your shop may not like them coming in empty.

Also, although at the time of hydro a visual inspection is done many shops want to do one afterwards.

mike_s
02-21-2008, 12:13
They do not always come from the factory clean or as clean as they say. So they should be inspected. If they already have been inspected I would at least take a peak in them before installing the valves and filling them with a little air. Your shop may not like them coming in empty.

I can whole heartedly agree with this. I've bought new tanks before and they were abosolutely filthy inside. You wan to inspect them before using them. Don't trust whatever tank manufacturer that says the tank is clean. Plain and simple, they lie.

You're going to breath whatever dust, powder, oil/grease residue comes in that tank. think about that and having the inspection is worthwhile

Also, although at the time of hydro a visual inspection is done many shops want to do one afterwards.

A visual is required as part of the Hydro by the DOT, but a visual sticker is not required. So most hydro facilities aren't dive operations and don't put visual stickers on them. Since LDS's require the sticker, they do a 2nd inspection and charge for it. To be honest though, not all hydro facilities are that clean and they always don't produce tanks that are clean, so the 2nd inspection is in your best interest of not having to breath fire extinghisher powder.

CompuDude
02-21-2008, 12:37
I agree, just have the shop give them a VIP (you'll need a sticker from them anyway if it didn't come with one), and they'll stick the valve on for you. Not terribly expensive. And frankly, this is one instance where the quickie 2-minute inspection would probably suffice. The tanks should be spotless inside... a quick glance and a swipe to be sure, and you're in business.

It would be one thing if you were just changing valves on tanks that had already been inspected, because installing a valve really is that easy. Twist on, slight thump with your palm on the knob to tighten it, and you're done. But a tank should really have at least the initial inspection, since it's never been properly inspected and you're not trained.

skdvr
02-21-2008, 13:00
Agree, take it to the shop and let them look at it. Down here a vis is only about $10, so it is worth it to me just for piece of mind. The last thing you want is a little bit of junk in there espically when you are at depth. Up there I would take it to Dive Right In Scuba. Mike and his dad (Can't remember his name) are great guys and have a great shop. I am sure that they would treat you right...

Phil

newways
02-21-2008, 15:02
thank you all for the input. I'll get them visually checked.

I am interested in getting an HP119. How much were they? Can I also order them? Thanks.

I bought them from someone who had a buddy back out on the deal. I got two tanks for 600 total. I was able to pick them up so I also saved on shipping. Not an outstanding deal but for new, I wasn't able to find them cheaper anywhere else.

CompuDude
02-21-2008, 15:52
thank you all for the input. I'll get them visually checked.

I bought them from someone who had a buddy back out on the deal. I got two tanks for 600 total. I was able to pick them up so I also saved on shipping. Not an outstanding deal but for new, I wasn't able to find them cheaper anywhere else.

Actually, $300 ea for new HP119s is a pretty outstanding deal these days.

fireflock
02-21-2008, 16:41
^agreed. Prices just keep climbing.

cummings66
02-21-2008, 18:41
I'd say it was a good deal, especially with no shipping. I think you'll discover honesty is the best policy when it comes to shops, be upfront with them as to what you want and you're more likely to get what you want, which is in this case a vis sticker, valve installed and a good fill.