PDA

View Full Version : Stupid YMCA

DivingCRNA
02-21-2008, 12:54
Not only will they NOt let us use their pool for DM class, but I went to swim today (in their INDOOR pool) and it was closed due to weather.

Apparently these nimrods do not understand that indoor things are unaffected by weather. They said lightening was the issue. Well, they better clear out the entire METAL building then....

sheesh.

MicahEW
02-21-2008, 12:55
LMAO what dip^%*'s

SkuaSeptember
02-21-2008, 13:27
I've known other pool facilities to close during thunderstorms, but they always seem to give a paying dive classes the option of "use at your own risk."

caroln
02-21-2008, 13:30
My Y closes the 2 indoor pools for lightening too. I have no idea why. It makes no sense to me.

PhD4JC
02-21-2008, 13:34
lightening is drawn to water (a great conductor)
if there are windows in the pool area then those in the pool are at risk

My Y closes the 2 indoor pools for lightening too. I have no idea why. It makes no sense to me.

matt151617
02-21-2008, 13:35
Probably because the plumbing could "conduct" the electricity. Stupid IMO.

Scuba-Bill
02-21-2008, 14:12
Not only will they NOt let us use their pool for DM class, but I went to swim today (in their INDOOR pool) and it was closed due to weather.

Apparently these nimrods do not understand that indoor things are unaffected by weather. They said lightening was the issue. Well, they better clear out the entire METAL building then....

sheesh.

The link below talks about the issues surrounding lightning and indoor pools. Hope it helps to understand their reasoning.

Lightning and Aquatics Safety: A Cautionary Perspective for Indoor Pools - National Lightning Safety Institute (http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_pls/indoor_pools.html)

Enjoy.

sgarland
02-21-2008, 14:54
Basically we live in such a litigious society that all common sense has fled and every action (and reaction) is someone else's fault.

Therefore the Y has to close the pool so some idiot on the high dive during a lightning storm can't sue them for getting fried during his swan dive.

ScubaJenn81
02-21-2008, 16:15
When I was a lifeguard at a Y, we have to close the pool when there was a thunderstorm. I got my butt chewed when it happened too, everytime. It is a liability issue, if you sit in your bathtub and get struck, it is your own fault, but if lighting hit the pool building and something happened, they would be sued faster then you could count to 10.

cummings66
02-21-2008, 16:45
I don't know of anybody who's ever had lighting stike and hurt or kill somebody in an indoor pool, however I understand it is possible and so while I'm missing out on swimming I am safe and I think it prudent for them to close the pool, even indoors.

We used to have similar rules for taking baths, talking on the old corded telephones, tv sets, etc. I have personally seen all of those take damage, severe damage in fact from lightning strikes. Tub was split, phone was in pieces, no cord left, just a black burn mark on the baseboard, tv's back blown off. I've seen an air conditional blown out of the wall on a strike, and I've seen a hole that was about 4 feet blown through a roof of a house.

People need to understand that while rare, those events do happen and they're looking out for you, as well as themselves.

RoyN
02-21-2008, 16:52
Well, the pool itself might not be affected, but would you want to go swimming in the dark when the lightning hits an electric generator and the building is on a blackout? :D

I wonder how you're going to go change your clothes in the locker without the lights! Don't know if they have a backup generator, but they probably don't want to risk using up the juice!

Hey! Lets go night diving in the pool! Not for me. :smiley36:

Otherwise, just go home! Have a sandwich, watch TV, or do something I would do! ;)

Remember, when the skies are cloudy and gray! They're only gray for the day!

DivingCRNA
02-21-2008, 16:53
I don't know of anybody who's ever had lighting stike and hurt or kill somebody in an indoor pool, however I understand it is possible and so while I'm missing out on swimming I am safe and I think it prudent for them to close the pool, even indoors.

We used to have similar rules for taking baths, talking on the old corded telephones, tv sets, etc. I have personally seen all of those take damage, severe damage in fact from lightning strikes. Tub was split, phone was in pieces, no cord left, just a black burn mark on the baseboard, tv's back blown off. I've seen an air conditional blown out of the wall on a strike, and I've seen a hole that was about 4 feet blown through a roof of a house.

People need to understand that while rare, those events do happen and they're looking out for you, as well as themselves.

In that case, I better not get out of bed in the morning....:smiley5:

mike_s
02-21-2008, 17:05
Many indoor pools close due to lightning.

The decks are wet and can transfer the electrical charge to the wate and in most commerical pools the pipes are iron also and run to ground.

It's just a safety and liability issue.

check this out Lightning and Aquatics Safety: A Cautionary Perspective for Indoor Pools - National Lightning Safety Institute (http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_pls/indoor_pools.html)

same thing can happen to you in older homes with iron tubs and iron pipes. (less likely now with PVC pipes and fiberglass tubs).

easyrider003
02-21-2008, 18:07
Like everyone else said, it would be rare that you would be affected by the weather outside, but if something did happen then they would get sued in a splt second. They are just looking out for you and themselves

pyre24
02-21-2008, 18:52
There just not taking any chances.

DivingCRNA
02-21-2008, 20:30
Well, the pool itself might not be affected, but would you want to go swimming in the dark when the lightning hits an electric generator and the building is on a blackout? :D

I wonder how you're going to go change your clothes in the locker without the lights! Don't know if they have a backup generator, but they probably don't want to risk using up the juice!

Hey! Lets go night diving in the pool! Not for me. :smiley36:

Otherwise, just go home! Have a sandwich, watch TV, or do something I would do! ;)

Remember, when the skies are cloudy and gray! They're only gray for the day!

There are windows.

scubasamurai
02-21-2008, 21:17
same here the lightning comes the indoor pools close, but considering that the pumps and filters are outside that makes sense. and i agree with people suing these days you should complain to the al sharptons of the world not the ymca. it keeps their insurance rates down , hence keeps your dues down as well.

cummings66
02-21-2008, 21:35
The pumps don't need to be outside, ours for example are inside but the pumps go deep into the ground and it could be struck by lightning. Consider there is a second way too, through the mains. Lightning strikes most of the time occur via the mains and if the pump took a good hit and passed it through the iron pipes you could get bbq'd in a heartbeat.

Silly I know, but it is technically possible.

cgvmer
02-21-2008, 22:38
With 3 kids into competitive swimming I have seen large (300+ swimmers) shutdown for hours after lightning was sensed outside. This at both large state run Universities, as well as Y's and private Colleges.

It is very common to do, and many institutions have lightning sensors. Our home Y doesn't do it as both of its' pools are deep inside the building.

mm2002
02-24-2008, 12:25
I just wish our local Y had a pool so I could worry about it.:smiley5:

mitsuguy
02-24-2008, 13:32
um, insurance reasons or not, I'm getting the f' out of the pool if it is lightning outside... in my hometown, there was a kid that died in his outdoor swimming pool, and the lightning didn't even hit the pool, but the light/power pole 50 feet away... this has been years ago, but, IIRC, lightning traveled through the power supply, through the pump, into the water...

the exact same scenario could happen in an indoor pool, and just imagine if there were hundreds of people in the pool...

for all you doubters there, I'll be the one ~watching~ the BBQ

Chocoholic
02-24-2008, 15:00
wow, I had no idea. Good thing we rarely get thunder and lightning here. I do remember going fishing on the Solstice, everyone had to wait til midnight for the fishing season to open. We all dutifully waited until 12:01 and wouldn't you know it, rare thunder and lightning about 30 minutes later. IT was quite a show, but we all got way away from the water.

DivingCRNA
02-24-2008, 15:31
No one seems to be commenting on how stupid it is to not let us PAY to use the pool for SCUBA!

cummings66
02-24-2008, 19:13
Are you saying that the Y doesn't charge the shop for using the pool for scuba classes? Or are you saying that you were willing to pay and take the risk and they couldn't be convinced to take the money? I understand the frustration, personally I'd have waited around and seen if it changed for the better if they'd let me. Pools usually reopen when the storm is gone.

I know in MO you can not sign a waver stating you won't sue if something bad happens because you can't wave what you don't know about. IE our park used to hold those little 4 wheeler events and had the participants sign no liability wavers, until the city found out that it had absolutely no weight and if they did get hurt they could still sue the city and win, thus no more events have ever been held because they don't want to be sued.

DivingCRNA
02-24-2008, 21:13
Are you saying that the Y doesn't charge the shop for using the pool for scuba classes? Or are you saying that you were willing to pay and take the risk and they couldn't be convinced to take the money? I understand the frustration, personally I'd have waited around and seen if it changed for the better if they'd let me. Pools usually reopen when the storm is gone.

I know in MO you can not sign a waver stating you won't sue if something bad happens because you can't wave what you don't know about. IE our park used to hold those little 4 wheeler events and had the participants sign no liability wavers, until the city found out that it had absolutely no weight and if they did get hurt they could still sue the city and win, thus no more events have ever been held because they don't want to be sued.

Wanting to JUST swim and use the pool for SCUBA are 2 different issues. They will not take our money to let us use the pool for SCUBA at a future date.

On the lightning day I just wanted to swim for exercise. It stormed all day, and was predicted to do so. So I was not inclined to wait around while I had stuff to do just to get in 30 minutes of swimming.

mike_s
02-24-2008, 21:34
A lot of pools don't allow scuba diving in them...

why? mostly past history and damage. Especially indoor pools with tile floors. Divers knock over tanks and drop weights on the floors cracking the tiles and then the pool has to fix them. Even if the scuba shop pays for the damages the pool owners tire of the problems. same thing with hitting the walls on the sides of the pool that might have tile on them.

When I was a kid my father was the aquatic director at the college he taught at. They allowed local scuba shops to teach open water classes there but had to stop it because of all the ongoing continued damage there to the tiles and everthing else. It just wasn't worth the hassle for the small amount of money paid for renting the pool.

I doubt it's as bad now that most dive shops use soft weights and they cause less damage when dropped.

cummings66
02-25-2008, 07:24
I misunderstood your OP, I thought you had scheduled a DM class in the pool and they cancelled it due to the lightning, plus they cancelled swimming. I didn't realize they said NO to scuba. Some places do that, I've never approached mine so I don't know if they would allow it or not. I know they'll rent it but I don't know if that includes scuba. As Mike said, some places don't want to do that for scuba based on perceived risk of damage.

It's too bad a few had to ruin it for the many.

scubamarc
02-25-2008, 11:09
My Y makes me wear a swim cap even though I am bald.

cummings66
02-25-2008, 12:11
What is the theory behind that one? I mean I'd do it if I had to but what's the theory? Less stray hair in the water? They wouldn't get much from me...

CompuDude
02-25-2008, 12:59
What is the theory behind that one? I mean I'd do it if I had to but what's the theory? Less stray hair in the water? They wouldn't get much from me...

No kidding, that's bizarre. I suppose you could argue hair collection for the follically-blessed, and head protection for the follically-challenged? :smiley36:

scubamarc
02-25-2008, 13:40

No kidding, that's bizarre. I suppose you could argue hair collection for the follically-blessed, and head protection for the follically-challenged? :smiley36:

I had an argument with the 18 year old live guard last week, I said I have more hair on my back than my head.

CaptainRon
02-25-2008, 18:28
I had an argument with the 18 year old live guard last week, I said I have more hair on my back than my head.

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

cummings66
02-25-2008, 18:50
That's the thing about aging isn't it? You get hair where you don't want it and it disappears from where you do want it. Ya gotta wonder sometimes where rules come from. I mean this one is so far out there that it borders on being absurd, well it is absurd.

fisheater
02-25-2008, 20:08
My Y makes me wear a swim cap even though I am bald.

Too much glare blinding the lifeguard?