PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend a Hood?

sixthblade
02-21-2008, 14:50
I am looking to buy a hood.

Most of my diving is done in tropical waters - but I do have a trip to Galapagos in mind.

I also was instructing at a lake last Sun,
50F water + bold head = not a good time!! ;)

Anyhow - my point is that the hood will not be used intensively, so something fairly cheap and good would do just fine.

Thanks in advance.

fireflock
02-21-2008, 14:59
Are you looking for a hood for tropical diving, or the cold stuff?

I really like a hooded vest for tropical diving.

For the cold stuff, I have a Pinnacle drysuit hood that I've been impressed with. I imagine their other hoods are good too.

cyclone3565
02-21-2008, 17:28
The Henderson gold line is great, because it is a very smooth material liner that really slides on easily and does not get caught on hair.

sixthblade
02-21-2008, 17:33
Thanks for the replies.

I am looking for something for cold water -- I was thinking something like a 5mm hood (or there abouts).

Having never really used a hood - is a venting feature on its top highly desirable?

fireflock
02-21-2008, 17:40
I think so. I've put a couple vent holes in myself using a $5 soldering iron, so it's no big deal to me if the hood comes with it or not.

RoyN
02-21-2008, 17:48
Pinnacles, Henderson, Akona, whatever makes great hoods to cover that head! ;)

Crimediver
02-21-2008, 18:01
Just make sure you rmove your head before burning the holes with a soldering iron.

sixthblade
02-21-2008, 20:03
Thanks y'all ... I'll be going over to ST soon to purchase one of these.

Naive question - but I am assuming the 'lip' that goes across the shoulders remains outside the wetsuit ... right?

Are there any other desirable features?
(Apart from vents at top, or soldering-iron holes!)

DivingCRNA
02-21-2008, 21:29
I am looking to buy a hood.

Most of my diving is done in tropical waters - but I do have a trip to Galapagos in mind.

I also was instructing at a lake last Sun,
50F water + bold head = not a good time!! ;)

Anyhow - my point is that the hood will not be used intensively, so something fairly cheap and good would do just fine.

Thanks in advance.

I like where I live, and there are houses for sale here, but I am not sure what tropical diving has to do with...

OH, DIFFERENT KIND OF 'HOOD!!!! LOL

Mtrewyn
02-22-2008, 11:12
Thanks y'all ... I'll be going over to ST soon to purchase one of these.

Naive question - but I am assuming the 'lip' that goes across the shoulders remains outside the wetsuit ... right?

Are there any other desirable features?
(Apart from vents at top, or soldering-iron holes!)

That I think is A personal choice I have a hooded vest, and I wear it under my wet suit, but just a hood, I would think that you would wear how you are more comfortable, but I have not ever used anything but the hooded vest.

dallasdivergirl
02-22-2008, 11:47
you can wear the hood inside or outside of your wetsuit. some just come down to the base of your neck & some cover the shoulders.

Mares does make a nice 5 mm in the dry or trilastic hoods.

pyre24
02-22-2008, 12:18
I have a 5/3 hyperstretch w/vent on top. I like it alot. My preference i wear it inside wetsuit.

CompuDude
02-22-2008, 13:18
If the hood has a bib, it usually goes UNDER the wetsuit, not over. It's just like the tail of your shirt that gets tucked in. Drysuit hoods frequently have no bib, since they can't tuck into a neck seal (although some drysuits have a special collar designed to hold a bib in place).

I second the recommendation for Henderson's Gold Core line of hoods. Very comfy. I really love their gold core dry hood.

If you're diving in 50F waters, however, you should give serious consideration to a 7mm hood, and skip the 5mm. There's not that much difference in feel, since your head doesn't really need to move around like the rest of your body, and the extra warmth is great.

Personally, I've been considering picking up one of the Otter Bay 12mm hoods, but haven't gotten around to it yet. My 7mm gold core is still working well for me.

Vents are important, since often exhaled air gets trapped in the hood (usually from the nose, by way the mask) and you'll have a serious conehead look going on without a way to vent that air. If the hood doesn't have one, however, burning a small hole with a hot nail or soldering iron does the trick just fine.

JFH
02-22-2008, 16:46
I agree that the Henderson makes a very nice hood. If you doing cold water I would get the hooded vest. I like the way the fit better and it is added warmth. I have the hyperstretch and I am very happy with it. I hate the restriction of some hoods.

rye_a
02-22-2008, 18:11
The merino lined Pinnacles are great.

plot
02-22-2008, 19:21
I have a 5/3 hyperstretch w/vent on top. I like it alot. My preference i wear it inside wetsuit.

I have the same hood, it's awesome, goes on easy, doesn't leave you with a headache after diving.

I normally wear it outside the wetsuit becuase i'm to skinny to put it inside, it crunches up and I end up with a steady stream of cold water running down my back.

Wear my mask on the outside of the hood.

sixthblade
02-23-2008, 00:21
Thanks y'all for the helpful comments.

I think I like the idea of the hooded vest - not only for the facts that were listed here - but also because it adds extra 'core warmth' (and my guess is that it is more comfortable than layering-up wetsuits!).

Thanks also for the tip about placing the mask on top - I didn't really think about that - but it makes sense, this way I guess you can avoid the dreaded cone-head effect.

Thanks again.

padi1029
03-09-2008, 20:44
Today most hoods are created equal. Like choosing a wetsuit quality neoprene is key. The thickness you will want/need is a purely personal decision based on your tolerances to cold. Trial and error will be your best evaluation method. The bib of a hood is meant to tuck under your wetsuit...it reduced the water that flows into your suit through your neck and into your hood. The mask under your hood is another personal pref...most who wear the mask under the hood do it to prevent their mask from getting kicked off or somehow otherwise dislodged. For cold water with a wetsuit I would say get the hood with a bib.

I dive tropical and still usually wear a 3m full hood - no bib. AND I always tuck a 3m beanie into my BC pocket, just in case I get a chill while diving, I can easily and quickly don the beanie without removal of my mask or regualtor. The beanie looks a little dorky but when cold I want function over fashion.

Check out Scuba Diving magazine and Sport Diver magazine, both have online access to their gear reviews and could be helpful.

ST has quite a few hoods to choose from.

Stay warm

scubachristo
03-09-2008, 21:23
heres another vote for the henderson gold line, awesome hood, easy on easy off and very warm

huvrr
05-05-2008, 01:38
All you need to do is look at the surface to vent your hood it is about that simple

wolfen42
05-05-2008, 09:30
Just another vote for the Henderson 5/3 hyperstretch hood. My wife gets cold a LOT faster than I do and that hood helped her a lot. I tried it on also and it's extremely comfortable.

I think that the Hyperstretch material makes a lot of sense for a hood... Especially after reading about people's unpleasant (yet entertaining) experiences trying on various non-stretchy hoods over on SB.

mm2002
05-06-2008, 21:45
My wife loves her hyperstretch hood. That thing slips on like a well broken in sock! I just have a cheesy cheapy hood, and it's not extremely comfortable.

DollFin
05-07-2008, 01:31
I have a Hyperstretch also. LOVE IT, fits so comfy, no constriction anywhere and kept me warm on those winter dives I made in the Gulf!

tbg0519
05-08-2008, 13:32
Add one more vote for the Henderson 5/3. I wear mine inside my wetsuit when I need a hood, (no hair, means head freezes quicker). I dove a few weeks ago at my local quarry with the hood and a 3/2 wetsuit. Did 2 tank dives down to 40-50 feet, and the water temp was in the upper 40s, low 50s at max depth. Never got cold. Keep your melon warm and your body will follow. The vent in the top is nice. Just be sure you seat your mask seal inside the hood. My buddy kept getting part of the skirt of his mask on top of his hood and flooding the mask.

huvrr
05-20-2008, 09:54
I have tried out the Deep see dry hood which I really like for the low 50 degree range and am waiting for my Diving concepts dry hood to arrive this week.
I am about to buy the Pinnacle vest as well from ST, as some buddies of mine swear by them.

wxboy911
05-20-2008, 13:39
I have one of these...

Hyperstretch 7mm Hood, Boots Hoods Gloves, Henderson, Hyperstretch 7mm Hood (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=HyperHood7mm)

I bought it locally so I could try it on-made all the difference last week when we hit the lake.

junzhang
06-10-2008, 09:28
Has anyone used the Mare 5mm trilastic hood? I just ordered one and want to know how it performs, would that be ok for about 50F?