PDA

View Full Version : Bootie Dryer

diverkatie
07-30-2007, 17:54
My husband and I ran into problems with bootie funk :smiley11: ...Especially after long trips where our gear never quite gets entirely dry. Nothing we tried ever really took care of all of the smell...Until we found something else that has helped. We got a boot dryer made by Peet - place the booties on the stand and plug the dryer in. It warms and dries the booties from the inside out. And, it killed the funk - which can only be a good thing!

diverkatie

Cheddarchick
07-30-2007, 18:13
I have that also, we added 2 extra boot holders out of pvc piping. works great!

cummings66
07-30-2007, 19:38
Bass Pro sells those boot dryers, they work too. My wetsuit boots stink, but I know why and won't do it again, I promise.

Splitlip
07-30-2007, 19:59
With apologies to Scubakevdm:

Nothing is worse than a smelly Booty. I have had that problem most of my diving history.
One day I was working in my garage when my Mom came up the driveway. She said " my God, what is that smell?". I told her it was my booty. She told me to hand wash my booty with warm water and shampoo then shove one of those fabric softener sheets in it and stick it in the cloths dryer for a few minutes. Then remove my booty from the dryer and set it on the AC condencing unit outside, avoiding direct sunlight on my booty until almost dry. Then haul my booty inside the airconditioned house.

TAH 73
07-30-2007, 21:01
One of the best things I have used for drying the wetsuits and such is a ski boot dryer. The one I have has 4 "hoses" that are designed to go into 2 pair of ski boots. I put one set of hoses into the gloves, one into the boots. They are dry in about 3-4hrs total. Then I put the hoses into the arms/legs and dry the suit as well.
I can get everything done overnight with no issues.
And don't pee in your wetsuit, it add's to the funk.

DirtyWaterIL
07-30-2007, 21:25
best scuba accessory there is.

sidneydiver
07-30-2007, 22:14
I've never seen a booty dryer. What a good idea. I leave my boots unzipped and then turn the tops down to allow air to circulate around the inside. It seems to work pretty well.

picxie
07-31-2007, 04:04
I've never seen a booty dryer. What a good idea. I leave my boots unzipped and then turn the tops down to allow air to circulate around the inside. It seems to work pretty well.

I've not seen one either. I wash mine after a dive and then hang them up on the ends of a BCD hanger. Don't seem to have any problems - nothing noticable anyway, I don't go and stick my nose in to check!!

Dee
08-01-2007, 01:02
A quick 5 min soak in Sink the Sink gets rid of that funky smell. Like picxie says...hang them off each end of a BCD hanger and they are dry in a couple of hours.

ScubaToys Larry
08-01-2007, 18:07
Joe put some odor eaters in his booties and disappeared for a week. :smilie39:

cummings66
08-01-2007, 19:34
I'll say this much, after diving with a wetsuit boot for maybe 6 months and taking advantage of wetsuits and relieving myself as needed I discovered that even if you clean them after every dive it will reach a point where you and the boots can't be in the same town. It will reek, now I just don't go and treat it as I do my drysuit and life's well again.

Take a wet boot, add funk, let simmer and the neighbors will ask where you buried the body.

rktman26
08-01-2007, 20:27
I drilled two holes in a short piece of 4x4 that acts as a base, and inserted 3/8" dowels into the holes. I took two 20 oz water bottles, cut the tops and bottoms off (so they're basically tubes), and insert them into the boot to keep them open. The boots hang upside down on the dowel rods and dry pretty quickly, with no smell.
The PVC thing has me thinking I could re-do it out of PVC.

DirtyWaterIL
08-01-2007, 21:20
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=5883&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

$34.95 great for more than just scuba

CompuDude
08-03-2007, 13:41
InstaDry booties. No funk. Seriously.

YellowfinKunkfish
08-04-2007, 07:23
We set ours on top of the de-humidifier in the garage, works great.

Rhonda

Splitlip
08-04-2007, 13:46
InstaDry booties. No funk. Seriously.

I thought that might be the case. My next purchase.

I won't buy an instadry suit however. I HAD an old beaver tail.

Buoyant1
08-05-2007, 07:17
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=5883&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

$34.95 great for more than just scuba

Nice..I'm gonna have to wander over there and check those out (heck maybe take my funky booties over there and test dry them! :smiley2:)

Splitlip
08-05-2007, 13:46
Just got another tip to cure a stinky booty. Got this from a life guard 1/2 hour ago. After you have soaked your booty and let dry, put it in the freezer for a couple hours. Supposed to kill any fungus or bacteria cultures growing in your booty.
Mine have been soaking in sink the stink for 36 hours and are now drying. I have a chest freezer in the garage ready and waiting. I will report later.

cummings66
08-06-2007, 18:25
Interesting, I wonder if it really works. If it does I have a drysuit in some serious need of destinking. Washing only helps so much, and it seems one dive in it now and it's terrible. Well, it took 4 dives in 96 degree weather and it's back to being offensive.

CompuDude
08-06-2007, 19:17
Hmm. Re the freezer method:

I have to question that one. First, I doubt it is especially good for the neoprene. I doubt it would hurt a membrane shell suit, but I'm less sanguine about freezing rubber. Might cause some premature aging.

Second, cold does not always kill bacteria... certainly not the cold temps in a freezer. It will suspend their activity until it warms up again, however... meat that is frozen won't go bad, but it will as soon as you rewarm it, even in a sterile environment. Freezing is not an anti-bacterial method until you are into the realm of temps like liquid nitrogen. So I suspect it may delay the funk a little bit, but not eliminate it.

InstaDry booties, I repeat. No special care required. Quick rinse, and done.

Splitlip
08-06-2007, 20:18
Hmm. Re the freezer method:

I have to question that one. First, I doubt it is especially good for the neoprene. I doubt it would hurt a membrane shell suit, but I'm less sanguine about freezing rubber. Might cause some premature aging.

Second, cold does not always kill bacteria... certainly not the cold temps in a freezer. It will suspend their activity until it warms up again, however... meat that is frozen won't go bad, but it will as soon as you rewarm it, even in a sterile environment. Freezing is not an anti-bacterial method until you are into the realm of temps like liquid nitrogen. So I suspect it may delay the funk a little bit, but not eliminate it.

InstaDry booties, I repeat. No special care required. Quick rinse, and done.

Wait, you have to rinse them?...
Just kidding.

Well I just popped the booties in the freezer. We shall see.
I am not too concerned about the aging. I throw them away anyway if I can't defunk them.
Besides, I just ordered the Instadry booties this morning.
Thanks for the tip.
I will get back to all on the freezer.

MissDirected
08-06-2007, 20:19
I've been washing my in the washing machine on cold with Woolite for years. Don't use anything other than woolite because it will slowly break down the fabric, Woolite is very gentle. I put the machine on delicate so the booties don't get spun around and stretched. After that, hang them and be sure they stay open for air to get inside.

Splitlip
08-06-2007, 22:08
I pulled the booties from the freezer about 5 minutes ago. Funk free.

Edit:
Disappointed to say that, after storing my booties at room temperature over night, the right one is still a tad funky. Left one is fine.

They went back in the freezer an hour ago. I will see what happens.

(If this is too much information, let me know. I won't do anything about it, but please feel free.)