PDA

View Full Version : Supporting good dive shops

mm2002
02-21-2008, 17:17
A couple of days ago we were in Tulsa, and went to Poseidon Adventures just to check it out. The guys there were extremely cool to talk to, and didn't seem to care that we basically had all of our gear and just stopped in to look around. They enjoyed talking about anything scuba, didn't try to sell us anything, and didn't mind the kids running around asking stupid questions. I bought a couple of dive knives, and some trinkets for the kids, not because we really needed them, but just because they were some really nice folks. Everywhere we travel, we always check out the local dive shops. If they're nice folks, I will not leave without buying at least SOMETHING. So far, only one dive shop made me want to keep all the change in my pocket, just because once they realized we didn't NEED anything, they ignored us until we left. Does anyone else here do this? Just curious.

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
02-21-2008, 17:23
I have checked out a couple shops in my travels but nothing too spectacular. I have experienced the cold shoulder more than warm greetings as soon as they found out I'm from another state and was just killing time in their shop.

If you are ever in this neck of the woods though I would strongly recommend checking out "Dive-Rite In Scuba". Great people no pressure and they love to just talk scuba or whatever the current topic may be.

SkuaSeptember
02-21-2008, 17:50
I'm with you in that if I'm treated well I'll at least try to pick up something, can't have too many dive T-shirts after all. But my experience has been that good service is hard to find. A couple of years ago my sister and BIL bought a place near Clearwater FL. On my first trip down I had a list of shops to check out. The first one was closed on Sundays!?#*. The second was out of business and at the third one the guys behind the counter couldn't suggest any local dive spots and suggested that I check at the marinas for charters. WTH!
In the end I found it was worth the hour and a half drive down to Venice and Florida West. I give them a mention to every class I teach while showing off the teeth I found on the fossil dive!

terrillja
02-21-2008, 17:53
If a shop is good, I like to get a shirt or a sticker for my scuba tote

cummings66
02-21-2008, 17:54
I always check out dive shops in the places I happen to be around. Found a lot of very good ones and some poor ones.

I've never been in Dive right In but I have ordered stuff from them and they have a very friendly staff, at least the two I talked to were. Someday I'll meet up with them in person.

Osprey
02-21-2008, 18:10
A couple of years ago my sister and BIL bought a place near Clearwater FL. On my first trip down I had a list of shops to check out. The first one was closed on Sundays!?#*.

Most dive shops in clearwater/tampa are closed on sundays actually... :smiley36:

Osprey
02-21-2008, 18:18
I concur, support good shops! I went into one recently, completely convinced that they'd tag me as an insta-sale. One young man asked me if I needed help, and I simply said I was just looking. He then struck up a simple conversation (did I snorkel, or scuba as well?). The DM came out and we discussed spear fishing for a good 30 minutes or so and watched the rain pour outside. The only thing they "sold" to me was getting on their mailing list for trips... I'll be going back for some goodies for sure :)

pyre24
02-21-2008, 18:57
If a shop is good, I like to get a shirt or a sticker for my scuba tote
I always get a shirt. There are just too many to buy at once.

mm2002
02-21-2008, 19:08
Most small ma & pa businesses aren't in business to get rich, but just to be doing something they love, and hopefully make a decent living. You can sense that right away. Whether it's a dive shop or whatever, I love giving them my support. Some places though, if you're not walking in there with a Franklin hanging out of your pocket, they treat you like dirt.

awap
02-21-2008, 19:29
Sure, I go into shops and ask them if they will sell me parts. That tends to cut right to the chase.

I have not found many "good" shops.

SkuaSeptember
02-21-2008, 20:02
Most dive shops in clearwater/tampa are closed on sundays actually... :smiley36:
Seems strange to me to be closed on a weekend day when you make your money from a leisure time activity.

Garrobo
02-22-2008, 05:47
You gotta remember that they are in business to make a living. Unless they aren't busy and/or want to talk it up, if you aren't going to buy something you are wasting their time with your chatter.