PDA

View Full Version : Wife found me in the closet

danielh03
02-23-2008, 01:57
Sniffing my new wet suit from ST's. I must admitt, having problems dealing with me first winter as a scuba diver.

WV Diver
02-23-2008, 07:23
Yeah boy, I've been there. I feel for you bud. But some how after the first dive of the season that all melts away and you forget all about winter.

maggs_the
02-23-2008, 07:26
until the next winter... scuba diving addiction is comparable to a cocaine addiction.. costs about the same anyway and the forum is our "NA" meetings..

when i get bored at work and wonder why i even do it, i repeat my mantra "I work to dive.. I work to dive.."

WV Diver
02-23-2008, 07:29
Shouldn't that be "I work to dive............I dive to live." ??

jwdizney
02-23-2008, 07:50
Sniffing my new wet suit from ST's. I must admitt, having problems dealing with me first winter as a scuba diver.

So, i'm not the only one.......I had no idea the addiction would be so obsessive!... i'm fighting the urge to wear a mask and snorkel around the house!:smiley29:

jeepbrew
02-23-2008, 07:56
It's almost diving season!! No more sniffing wetsuits in the closet... you will soon be wearing it. Perhaps you should wear it over the weekend and see what your wife says?

Charles R
02-23-2008, 08:11
or just buy a drysuit and dive all year thats how some of us deal with our problems.:smiley2:

rainmaker
02-23-2008, 09:02
My girlfriend caught me playing (again!) with my new ReefMaster Mini dive camera (that hasn't even been wet yet), and she just smiled and I heard something about men, boys and the price of their toys.

It has been my sad experience that scuba diving absolutely RUINS you for cold weather. I look at that Cozumel web cam with the dive boats leaving each morning and occasionally wipe away a tear..........

PlatypusMan
02-23-2008, 09:22

So, i'm not the only one.......I had no idea the addiction would be so obsessive!... i'm fighting the urge to wear a mask and snorkel around the house!:smiley29:

Don't; you'll feel much better and look stylish as well.

PPM

rye_a
02-23-2008, 09:29
At least she didn't catch you sniffing someone else's wetsuit!

emcbride81
02-23-2008, 10:15
Even though I have been certified for 9 years, this is my first winter since I have owned all my gear and been able to dive...so I am feeling you. I just got back from Playa 3 weeks ago from a great week of diving, but the bug came rushing back...stronger this time.

mitchy
02-23-2008, 11:39
I must admit I've put my BC on a few times and messed with configurations. Still trying to find the best place for my new knife. My wife and kids just laugh at me.

dallasdivergirl
02-23-2008, 12:17
I did take a dip in the pool last week. it didn't count as a dive but at least I was under water.

Chocoholic
02-23-2008, 13:14
I just got back from Mexico and I have it bad still! My friends want me to go skiing and that will help, but I still have a problem. I keep researching places to go next, and drooling all over peoples pictures of other places.

dannybot
02-24-2008, 09:26
I just got back from Mexico and I have it bad still! My friends want me to go skiing and that will help, but I still have a problem. I keep researching places to go next, and drooling all over peoples pictures of other places.

Doing my best not to openly pout that we are taking the kids skiing for spring break, rather than going to the Carribean diving.

mm2002
02-24-2008, 12:31
I must admit I've put my BC on a few times and messed with configurations. Still trying to find the best place for my new knife. My wife and kids just laugh at me.

Glad to know I'm not the only one!! My wife thinks I'm a nut case.

pyre24
02-24-2008, 16:26
I will finally be putting in my order with ST on wednesday for my wetsuit. I cant wait! Then I can have problems too!:mc05:

scubajane
02-24-2008, 17:23
We went to a Christmas party at the lds. I walked in and inhaled deeply.."I live the smell of neoprene" I exclaimed. Steve wanted to show me a cool new reg and hooked it up to a tank and I popped it in my mouth.. AHH sweet elixir. "That tastes good" says I. Hubby is also a diver, he just grinned and smiled proudly. I'm the one who was terrified and now I'm the one that drags him around by the tank strap.
I also got fins for Christmas and I wore them around the house for most of the day. Our kids were mortified....obviously non-divers

emcbride81
02-24-2008, 18:58
We went to a Christmas party at the lds. I walked in and inhaled deeply.."I live the smell of neoprene" I exclaimed.

My wife thinks I am a nut too!!! I love to walk into my lds and be greeted by the smell of neoprene even before the owner greets me!

blueeyeddiver
07-08-2008, 16:36

:smilie39: HaHa, that is GREAT! I can truly appreciate your post. I am very "olfactory inclined"-haha...Not only does this make me think of being "addicted" to diving, but it goes along with associating pleasant smells with fun things/memmories. ie....playdough smells sooo good..reminds me of playing with playdough in catholic bible study school as a child... HEHEHEHE

CompuDude
07-08-2008, 16:48
What is this "winter" of which you speak?

:P

mm2002
07-08-2008, 17:23

That's when the air temp drops below 40 F, white icy stuff falls out of the sky, and you have to wear at least long pants and a long sleeve shirt, sometimes even a heavy coat. I don't think it's anything you'd like.

Vegas
07-08-2008, 17:30
We went to a Christmas party at the lds. I walked in and inhaled deeply.."I live the smell of neoprene" I exclaimed.

My wife thinks I am a nut too!!! I love to walk into my lds and be greeted by the smell of neoprene even before the owner greets me!

I have recognized that the smell of neoprene is not only lovely...but also intoxicating...if I stay at the LDS too long, immersed in that marvelous scent, I inevitably open my wallet....

It's LEGAL CRACK....I'm telling you

Vegas
07-08-2008, 17:33
:smilie39: HaHa, that is GREAT! I can truly appreciate your post. I am very "olfactory inclined"-haha...Not only does this make me think of being "addicted" to diving, but it goes along with associating pleasant smells with fun things/memmories. ie....playdough smells sooo good..reminds me of playing with playdough in catholic bible study school as a child... HEHEHEHE

I had a similar reaction when I smelled "Mr. Bubble" bubble bath for the first time in over 20 years! Took me right back there, ya know? :smiley9:

Vercingetorix
07-08-2008, 17:38
What is this "winter" of which you speak?You are one cruel son of a b....n432u47536g a^&&*(9hnnb&^&T

[loss of carrier]

Vegas
07-08-2008, 17:39

Out here it means the algae bloom dissappears from the lake, the vis turns beautiful, and the daily average air temperatures drop well below the 105 (or more) degrees it averages in summer.

....Actually we do get a winter here....and yes....on the average of once every other year it actually snows a tiny bit here..... so, when that happens? We wait 'til the next weekend to go diving. :)

CompuDude
07-08-2008, 17:51

Out here it means the algae bloom dissappears from the lake, the vis turns beautiful, and the daily average air temperatures drop well below the 105 (or more) degrees it averages in summer.

....Actually we do get a winter here....and yes....on the average of once every other year it actually snows a tiny bit here..... so, when that happens? We wait 'til the next weekend to go diving. :)

LOL

Well, I lived in Manhattan for several years and went to college in Colorado, so I'm plenty acquainted with winter. I didn't dive in either place, though.

Around here (particularly since I have my drysuit), winter itself is no impediment at all to diving (unless you're weak of spirit!). In fact, the vis is generally better. The downside, however, is more storms, which means (sometimes) the water is churned up more and then you can't in past the surf. As long as the weather is calm, though, temps are never a reason to skip diving.

Of course, drysuits are more common here than a lot of places, since the water is cold year round. Even before I got my drysuit, though, I did plenty of "winter" diving in my 7mm suit. (And before you sneer too much, I spent a very cold weekend on a boat in 40 air temps and freezing rain (sleet and hail) once. Shortly before I bought my first drysuit. ;)

caroln
07-08-2008, 18:02

Now that's my kind of winter.

Vegas
07-08-2008, 18:35

Now that's my kind of winter.

Yep - winter's great out here, especially if you can happily trade
a "White Christmas" for a "Neon Christmas"....however, there is the summer....

There's a small town a little ways south of here where on the 4th of July
they hold the annual fry-an-egg-on-the-sidewalk-contest....and yes...they do cook.

It's the time of year when, if you see someone wearing oven mitts while driving you can't help but think, "how Clever!"

yup. It's HOT. My thermometer says it's 109 right outside my window, right now.

It builds interesting skills though....
How many times have you tried to don a 7 mil in 120 degree heat?
Now THAT's a sight to behold! It makes "Circe de Sol" or "Sigfreid and Roy" seem not-so-talented by comparison!

It's an art form and a timed event all at once!

You can always spot a desert native on a dive boat - we will AMAZE you with how quick we can be
READY to BE IN THE WATER! wow!!

...but a person eventually gets somewhat used to the heat.....and then?
Well, when it's 68 degrees out on the ocean? brrrr!! I'm the one wrapped up in my boat coat with a beenie on!