PDA

View Full Version : Why did you join the ST forum?

terrillja
02-23-2008, 12:09
Just wondering why everyone joined the ST forum. Fill out the poll and add any comments below. I joined to ask questions and post any info I had, but the discounts are nice too, so I selected all of the above.

wxboy911
02-23-2008, 12:15
This forum started while there was trouble with another forum I rarely go to any longer...this is a great place for info and answers.

Charles R
02-23-2008, 12:16
I joined because I felt good about what this site stood for vs all the other dive forums out there this forum is full of good people and people can feel easy about asking a question without being given a hard time. That is also why I volunteered to Moderate this site because i believe in what this site stands for. Oh yeah the discount and gift cards were nice too. All Hail the Grand PooBah!!!!

bottomdweller
02-23-2008, 12:34
I go on Vacation about twice a year, & thought this would be a great place to get info on locations, dive ops, & resorts that will have everything I am looking for in a vacation
Since joining I have found a ton of more useful info than I ever thought I could in so little time.

Great Board, Great People!!!

Chocoholic
02-23-2008, 14:07
I like the people in here too, Nobody has flamed me for anything.

DivingCRNA
02-23-2008, 15:23
I picked other. That "other" was that there are too many A-holes on ScubaBoard!
:smilie39::smilie39:

Griff
02-23-2008, 16:02

Werd!

While not as active as the other board, it seems like the folks I don't want to communicate with mainly haven't come over here.

The discount is nice (although I haven't bothered to figure out how it works), but the opportunity to learn more and share experiences in valuable.

Don Wray
02-23-2008, 16:15
Because I have dealt with Joe over the phone and got the impression that for once someone actually gave a **** that I wanted an honest opinion. Larry has answered every email I have ever sent. Other local LDS's, I'm lucky to get anyone to answer the phone, when they do, I get the impression I ruined their day by bothering them.

kingfish
02-23-2008, 17:55
I would have to say i originally joined to get the discounts and the vouchers, but as time went on i realised that there are a great bunch of people on here that are only too happy to answer questions that newbees like myself ask.
For this i say a big thank you.:smiley32:

I have noticed on other forums that some people that are very knowledgeable on a particular subject can start to get annoyed when new people to the boards ask the same questions time and time again......but i feel that alot of these people are new to forums and dont even realise there is a search function....or they are after a new opinion in case peoples opinions have changed with new technologies etc.

I have learnt alot from this board and i will keep coming here for help even if i am a bit of a lerker and do do alot of my learning from using the search function.:)

Jas.

BeachBunnyCrissy
02-23-2008, 18:04
Easy.... I spent way too much time & money in the store so I figured this was my next step :)

dallasdivergirl
02-23-2008, 18:11
they are my lds and I was always in there.

Brandon Belew
02-23-2008, 18:14
The little voice in my head told me to

terrillja
02-23-2008, 18:30

Werd!

While not as active as the other board, it seems like the folks I don't want to communicate with mainly haven't come over here.

The discount is nice (although I haven't bothered to figure out how it works), but the opportunity to learn more and share experiences in valuable.

To get the discount, just call to place your orders, mention that u are on the board and what your username is. They will add your username to your ST account, and the discount will be automatic after that.

Xspect
02-23-2008, 18:36
I also joined for the discount and to see what is all the hub bub about ST was about. But after I got my discount. I really get the feel like they my LDS. I always feel like they are going to give sound advice. There advice is based on a sale. As a matter of fact when I went to buy my regulator they said they simple can not sell atomic over the phone but gave me the name and number of a dive shop that does and even told me what a fair discounted price is. So I said all that to say. I stay for the honesty and they dont make me feel like Im going to DIE if I dont dive with a BP/W

scubasavvy
02-23-2008, 21:24

Agreed. I was on SB the other day and I had to laugh when someone posted that they were getting an Oceanic Excursion. 20 people jumped down the poor guy's throat telling him to get a BP/W. This smiley reminds me of SB: :smiliez.de_2125:

rye_a
02-23-2008, 21:30
This is a great place to come for info, and the discount doesn't hurt, either.

hoobascooba
02-23-2008, 21:57
I admit, i joined thanks to peer pressure.

pure peer pressure.

say that 5 times fast! heh.

RoyN
02-23-2008, 22:53
Migrated from Scubaboard.com, you know the rest. ;)

Plus, I get most of my misc gears from scubatoys.com too! What better ways to join their forum and they give discount too! They don't have to, but they did!

ScubaJW
02-23-2008, 23:23
I joined this forum, because of Joe and Larry, and their excellent customer service... So I feel that I should join to support them! :)

DRhodes
02-24-2008, 09:33
Originally joined to find differing opinions on gear before we dropped a boat load of cash on 2 sets of gear at our LDS. After pricing stuff out, and reading the forum found out that I was about to get post holed w/out an I Love you or even any foreplay from my LDS.

The more we read and talked to people at ST we found their customer service to be above and beyond. The discount is just an added bonus

mitchy
02-24-2008, 14:04
Picked other, but joined to read all the posts on gear and to post a few. Got hooked. Discounts are just a bonus.

pyre24
02-24-2008, 14:04
I joined for the forum then found out about gift certificates. Its a great bonus to meet divers from all over in one place.

ParrotheadDiver
02-24-2008, 14:42
I joined this forum, because of Joe and Larry, and their excellent customer service... So I feel that I should join to support them! :)

DITTO....I have been using them for my LDS for about 3yrs...I couldn't ask for anything better than what they have provided for me...great service and great prices...and Joe and Larry are pretty nice guys too:smiley2:

mm2002
02-24-2008, 16:53
I can't lie, I joined for the spiffs. What keeps me here is the great bunch of folks, and the great service ST provides. Did I tell you you guys rock? (except some of you, and you know who you are) :smilie39:

MicahEW
02-24-2008, 22:59
I joined so I could talk to tech divers and learn about tech diving.

abcitydiver
02-24-2008, 23:19
i got tired of reading: "you'll die if you dont dive just like me"...
its a kinder, gentler nation on this side.

DZorn00
02-25-2008, 07:41
Just wondering why everyone joined the ST forum. Fill out the poll and add any comments below. I joined to ask questions and post any info I had, but the discounts are nice too, so I selected all of the above.

Right there with you. I needed help on some issues and the quality of people here is awesome. The discounts and GC's are a bonus. But the knowledge and help can not be surpassed.:smiley32:

DarinMartell
02-25-2008, 07:59
I found it from a google search on a certain piece of equipment, I liked the way the thread read with lots of help to the OP and no bullying, I signed up for the $10, I got hooked reading and participating in conversations with you great people!

vann1066
02-25-2008, 08:32
It seemed like a good place to get answers from folks who know about diving but who don't have a lot of attitude and misplaced machismo. I found the discussions about whether to join DAN to be particularly helpful.

TX1Chica
02-25-2008, 08:32
I read a lot of stuff on the other board, but I didn't want to join it because I have only been diving for a couple of years and didn't feel like I could really contribute to anything without getting criticized. I also like that a lot of people here are from TX and I can learn about local diving.

cummings66
02-25-2008, 12:21
I joined because I'd done business with ST's before and I felt that maybe the board would be worth checking out. At the time there wasn't many of us here and few postings, but it seemed to have a good start and I hung around.

It's a board where users act civilized most of the time, better than most families I know of.

DiverJoe
02-25-2008, 13:56
Other,

Bought and dove with the ST crew and enjoyed it and thier advice/input, plus the comraderie of other divers!

Dive Safe,
DiverJoe

cmburch
02-25-2008, 13:57
I joined because I was in the market for a bladder for my backplate and some new fins. Joining the forum helped me in my decision making.

DougNR
02-25-2008, 18:52
To a large degree it was getting the hell out of "that other' forum! You know - the one where new members and anyone ignorant enough to ask a question that had been asked before would be verbally flayed alive!

Regards,

maggs_the
02-25-2008, 20:23
or anyone who offered up their own mistake for other newbies to learn from and .. again, were flayed alive..

plus, talking with joe & larry on the phone made this a forum i would like to be part of.

SkuaSeptember
02-27-2008, 17:45
I came for the perks, but have stayed because its a kinder gentler board. It seems that on ST the replies tend to start out a little lighter with more info being added as the thread continues. This feels a lot more like a dialogue and proper exchange of info as opposed to a question and lecture session.

cutter77
02-27-2008, 19:42
Nice folks, good info, few flamers.

Cool!

jeepbrew
02-28-2008, 16:29
Gift Certificates - That, and the fact that I shop at ST religiously and I enjoy the wealth of knowledge on this board.

rfb3
02-28-2008, 16:32
I think there is great value in reading others' opinions and experiences. I try to learn as much as I can from other people's good AND bad experiences...

TxScubaBear
02-29-2008, 18:32
I joined for the good folks/instructors at ST and for the bash-less forum attitude and because Joe is bigger than me.....

RnSdiver
03-01-2008, 09:41
I joined to get the freebie code for the dive Table Tutor. Stayed for the great info.

BoomerNJ
03-02-2008, 09:45
I joined for the wealth of information available here, then I found out about the discounts, etc... As a new diver, the people here are so helpful & don't flame you for stupid questions... Thanks everyone!

Zenagirl
03-02-2008, 17:07
I joined because I'm a huge ScubaToys fan, but have stayed around because here it's okay not to want to be a tech diver, be a DIR diver, dive a BP/W, etc.

It's simply okay to be a recreational diver who likes BCs, air integrated computers, and warm tropical diving. :D

K9Pig
03-02-2008, 22:57
I have learned recently that on other board(s) that "Newbies" can't ask questions and get good answers without being told to do a search, because the question has been answered a thousand times before. I asked a question only once about a drysuit, and got only three responses on that OTHER board/forum. I know I'm new to the whole forum world, and diving for that matter, but I don't feel ackward/belittled in this forum. Great bunch of PEOPLE and ST.

I didn't realize about the discount stuff.

Spartan
03-03-2008, 10:35
along with what everyone else has said, it's always good to get the inside look from scubatoys home site!

Navy OnStar
03-03-2008, 13:39
I was actually refered to the site by a manufacturer. Once I got here, it was obvious that this was the place for good info, and excellent customer service..

(The discount doesn't hurt either.)

OnStar

EuphoriaII
03-03-2008, 15:54
I have learned recently that on other board(s) that "Newbies" can't ask questions and get good answers without being told to do a search, because the question has been answered a thousand times before. I asked a question only once about a drysuit, and got only three responses on that OTHER board/forum. I know I'm new to the whole forum world, and diving for that matter, but I don't feel ackward/belittled in this forum. Great bunch of PEOPLE and ST.

I didn't realize about the discount stuff.
Thats what I like here. I haven't seen anyone put down a newb for not doing a search or asking dumb questions. I fall somewhere in the middle. I know enough to help out the newbs but there is still a lot more that I don't know than what I do know

lisa_sk8
03-03-2008, 23:55
I have learned recently that on other board(s) that "Newbies" can't ask questions and get good answers without being told to do a search, because the question has been answered a thousand times before.

I know I'm new to the whole forum world, and diving for that matter, but I don't feel ackward/belittled in this forum. Great bunch of PEOPLE and ST.

Thats what I like here. I haven't seen anyone put down a newb for not doing a search or asking dumb questions. I fall somewhere in the middle. I know enough to help out the newbs but there is still a lot more that I don't know than what I do know

Phew! That's good to hear. I'm literally just stepping into the water at this point with only a handful of dives under my belt and someone still telling me what to wear and where to go. :smiley9: I would hate to stifle my learning this early on in the game because people felt that newbies were beyond them. We all have to start somewhere and in my case, it's really the beginning! (Now, ask me about parrots and visit me on my other forum and I can really help you out there!)

PhD4JC
03-04-2008, 08:23
I initially joined for the $10 AND 10% discount on a purchase I wanted for Christmas, which worked out far better than I'd expected since scubatoys had the cheapest price and I got the color I wanted special ordered by Joe.
Now I stick around for the plethora of scuba information and non-scuba information (and dream about the day when I hit 250 posts)

Osprey
03-06-2008, 07:57
I joined because I was just getting into scuba and I wanted a place that I could passively learn from others. Now that I moved, I have a good LDS, but this board has helped me get a good head start on what I need to know for classes

snarkyone
03-12-2008, 10:49
I joined originally to answer a post my DH mentioned to me. But unlike so many of the other boards I've perused but did not join, there seems to be a very nice balance here. Some other places were a little scary in their fanaticism. Way too many "my way is the ONLY way" comments for me.

Illini_Fan
03-12-2008, 11:35
I joined because they are my LDS and I support them. They also had the amazingly coincidental timing of starting their forum when ScubaBoard was having all of their problems. Now that Elliot Spitzer has free time maybe he can investigate that.

No Misses
03-12-2008, 11:38
I joined because Larry invited me:-) Well, he sent an email to all of his customers. But, I can feel special anyway. Not Hockey helmet/short bus special, but special none the less. :smiley31:

The 10% discount and other perks are an added bonus.:smiley20:

BSea
03-12-2008, 11:41
I joined because Scubaboard kept going down, and heard about ST's forum on one of the brief times SB was operating. The GFs didn't hurt either:smiley20:.

And as a side note, and probably the main reason I stayed was because the attitude of the people here is just better as a whole than most other boards.

I admit, i joined thanks to peer pressure.

pure peer pressure.

say that 5 times fast! heh.

Hell, I can't even say it once!!!

skdvr
03-12-2008, 14:48
I joined becuase I had a disaster trying to deal with scuba.com and scubatoys bailed me out just before a vacation. I went to scubaboard to rant about how bad scuba.com is and how great scubatoys is and scubaboard was down for the count. Then I noticed that scubatoys had started this forum, so I joined and that was that.

Great folks at scubatoys. Can't compliment them enough!!!

Phil

lifeispunny
03-12-2008, 15:17
I'm very glad that I have never had the experiences that you all have had on other boards. I've never been a big blogger/reader o' blogs, but this one has great value for me.

I'm here to ask questions, answer questions, see some really cool photography, and listen to all the experience laced in these pages.

I liked ST from the start, and every time I place an order I like them even more.

lovesmexico615
03-12-2008, 17:15
I joined because I was planning on learning to dive, and had questions about gear. I didn't know about the discounts, but they were much appreciated when I got them!

doczerothree
03-20-2008, 18:03
No one else would have me......There's discounts?? So much to remember:smiley29:

Soonerwink
03-20-2008, 19:57
Like many others I found this forum after another was not working (again). But it was nice to find out about the incentives here. And by the way I like it over here alot more, just a better feel and fit here.

mark44883
03-20-2008, 20:15
i come for the hot chick and beer!!!!!!

jtkkym
03-20-2008, 20:29
Great customer service!

NoTime58
03-21-2008, 07:19
Good source of information for diving locations, equipment, expertise and other divers experiences and personal preferences.

chris in the socal
03-21-2008, 14:43
I liked the discount but have had a great deal of questions answered.

SHAGGY
03-22-2008, 08:40
Well,... at first it was for the 10% off discount, but then I started finding answers to alot of questions that I had about various things, and then it started to get addictive,.......LOL

shaggy

coyote
03-23-2008, 16:41
A lot of the other forums are unfriendly or even outright hostile. I want to chat and exchange ideas, not argue.

There are lots of great people here with a wide range of experience. Itís nice to ask a question and get a civilized and informed answer.

clayhabitat
03-27-2008, 20:21
I joined to ask a question, but then found the other reasons important too. And then I read about the 10% discount somewhere. I just need to find the details about that.

waytooslow
04-23-2008, 12:28
I joined to get information - the discount GC is a nice unexpected lagniappe. wtg guys oh and my first 10 ;)

reactive
04-23-2008, 12:35
Initially I joined to ask newbie questions about gear and buoyancy.

Sounder
04-23-2008, 12:39
I joined because I can't stand "the other board" and enjoy connecting with people around the globe. On boards like this one, it's great when planning a trip - you can get all the details and secrets from a "local" and then you've got someone to show you around when you get there!!

mm_dm
04-23-2008, 14:02
I liked it at first because it was new and there weren't the established personalities and well-entrenched cliques that seem common on some boards. I stay because of the many good and considerate people here.

Defman
04-23-2008, 15:13
And most of all.....

Chicks dig it!!

reactive
04-23-2008, 16:02
And most of all.....

Chicks dig it!!

Nice Touch!

mixahl
04-23-2008, 16:20
Its probably the only diving forum out there that gives the most friendly and supported advise geared to any kind of diver....

Smashee
04-23-2008, 21:07
I came for the discount (Not yet claimed. I'm gonna get a round tuit.) but I stayed for the vibe.
Good place here. Pleasingly low amount of plonkers. I feel I can ask a question without getting flamed for it because I dared to buy equipment that's not the brand-du-jour or worse, bought a jacket style BCD rather than a BP/W.

aprilgoddess1987
04-23-2008, 22:09
I joined so I could meet new divers and be able to ask questions that otherwise I wouldnt know where to ask

DiverBry
04-23-2008, 22:16
The threads are friendly, and the MODs don't take themselves (or others) too seriously :)

Sparkyvett
04-25-2008, 14:52
I enjoy all the good knowledge floating around all these pages.

Splitlip
04-25-2008, 21:41
Oh come on. Do a search.

fire diver
04-25-2008, 22:05
I joined ST when they first started. It was a fortuitious (sp?) time. I had been heavy into SB. But at the time it became over-run with trolls, and nothing was done to stop them. Then the board began shutting down for days at a time. So when ST started up, it was like it was meant to be. We haven't had any of the SB troubles here yet.

There is more of a "family" atmosphere here, so people tend to help each other and put a stop to the trolling before it becomes a problem.

mobeeno
04-26-2008, 01:34
Like getting info about diving in general, gift certs, posting questions, its entertaining.

Scoobidoo
04-26-2008, 21:48
Because here don't bite!

DiverMAN
04-26-2008, 21:59
At first I just joined this forum for the 10% discount, but then once I started to look around more I realized how much better this forum was compared to the other one I was on. There is also much more activity, and there is always something to talk about. ST FTW...

Rockhound76
04-28-2008, 07:21
SB was just too unfriendly and filled with trolls (I HOPE they were trolls. It would be a little disturbing if some of those posters were serious.)

harb99
04-28-2008, 09:48
joined b/c SB was on the fritz last summer and I was looking to buy a computer prior to a trip to the Keys to dive - ended up with a good deal on a veo180 with the 10% discount and $10 GC.

DUnder
04-28-2008, 12:43
The gift certificates and discount was an added bonus, I really got tired of the crap on the other board.

matt151617
05-01-2008, 00:33
For the information. Only after I joined did I discover the incentives part.

oddbod
05-01-2008, 05:50
Ditto, unluckily I found out after my order!:smiley19:

surfsidedav
05-01-2008, 06:51
I'm glad I found this thread. I emailed Larry (I think) just recently and complimented him on how this board seems to be more laid back and user friendly. SB has gotten to the point that if you weed out the extreme opinions on either side of an issue, you're only left with maybe 20% usable info. Just this morning some guy had trouble with his first online order with LP and running his credit card 7 times incorrectly asked was this the kind of service he could expect in the future? It's now a couple of pages long and actually irritating to read. And the "do a search" answer is so often so drawn out, it would have been simpler to just answer the original question. So thanks ST, I like the nice homely feeling here and think I'll make this my scuba forum of choice.
David

harb99
05-01-2008, 08:10
Ditto, unluckily I found out after my order!:smiley19:

that is an easy fix - place another one ;)

mselizann
05-01-2008, 08:22
For me it's a way to get a daily "scuba fix" even when I can't be in the water..............

Scotttyd
05-14-2008, 21:36
papabear?

heydn62
05-15-2008, 09:40
Someone on the boards at cruisecritic.com suggested this forum. My family loves to cruise and I've gotten lots of help there. Now that I'm diving I check both forums semi-regularly.

violakat03
05-19-2008, 09:01
This thread.

It's given me hope that there's a decent forum here.

mauiiop
05-19-2008, 10:47
We joined because of some crazy texans we ended up diving with, they suggested this forum because the people are friendly and open minded, you guys are soo funny and do not bite the newbies or criticize and when you not kidding around there is A LOT of good advise given in these forums. We say YEAH To Scuba Toys Forums:smiley20:

mauiiop
05-19-2008, 10:50
papabear?
kinda have to agree there, the poster's here seem to be a bit nicer and more laid back...:smiley20::smilie39:

MarkN7
05-19-2008, 13:56
On other boards, not just SCUBA related (I like watches also), I tend to read much more than I post and sometimes do not post at all. I realize that this is not supportive of the boards and there is a term for it (lurker I think), but the exchange of opinions gets a bit more enthusiastic than I care for. These are supposed to be hobbies, sources of relaxation and a bit of a distraction. I have a day job that provides enough irritation and diving is my fun time. I still use the other boards for research but the atmosphere here has me posting again for the first time in forever. It's quite nice actually and I'm glad they went to all the trouble of starting up the forum.

Thanks y'all.

Martin2
05-20-2008, 11:25
I initially joined for the discount, but I've come back time and time again for the information and camaraderie. I enjoy the laid back feel of this forum and rarely if ever look back at SB.

Eurodiver
05-21-2008, 02:41
I joined because my husband and I are looking to buy gear and have heard oh this gear is better or IF you are going to spend the money get this. I wanted more than "2 out of 5 stars" rating or 5 out 5 star rating. I wanted to know if any one personally owns it uses it likes dislikes etc, and out of all the web sites that sell gear that I looked at this is the only one with a forum. The prices seem good compared to other sites.
So it seems to be a cool place to get info from people that have been there done that uses it kind of thing.

I can't give advice on Scuba gear or cool places to dive {except in Spain} cause I am a "newbie" but I did give hair advice in the Womens Issues. I am a hairstylist so I can give that advice all day.

Thanks for having a forum Larry and Joe!
And thanks to all the experienced people for sharing your thoughts, experiences, and knowledge!

longtailbda
05-22-2008, 16:44
My wife finally took a resort dive and came up with that 1st time smile. Its going to cost a small fortune, but after 20+ years of trying, it'll be worth every penny just to see that smile.

Doug B
05-22-2008, 21:02
I heard it was "join two forums and get one free week"....

skippy11
05-22-2008, 22:28
I joined a couple of weeks before I got my OW. I had questions and was looking for answers. I found that and more on the ST Forum.

RikRaeder
05-22-2008, 23:18
Just Because.

fog
06-02-2008, 13:59
Why did I join? I just recently started diving and I have looked at a number of other forums and I decided on this one because the people seem to be far more down to earth and genuine. I have posted a few questions on this board and the same question on other boards and I am a lot more comfortable with this forum, people actually seem to want to help rather than criticize a newbie.
Oh yeah, I didn't know about the discount until after I joined, what a great suprise.

Lee

El Orans
06-02-2008, 14:33
I'm here to answer questions. :)

Also, to get feedback I'm not seeing on the other side.

Geoff_T
06-02-2008, 15:04
I joined originally because I was shopping around for Dallas dive shops and wanted to know what this one stands for. I was pleasantly surprised and decided to stay as such. I keep coming back because of the honest conversation and lack of people always saying youíll did youíll die whenever somebody asks an honest question.

Vercingetorix
06-09-2008, 20:07
I've been trained by ST (NAUI OW/AOW/Rescue). I've bought my gear there. I've dealt with the folks there. I assumed those same high standards would carry-over into the on-line community. I've not been disappointed.

dive10killer
06-09-2008, 21:02
To shoot the S**T with fellow divers.

hooligan
06-09-2008, 23:41
I joinded to pick up chicks... j/k. Found lots of good info here and they give a discount. Can't beat that.

crgjpg
06-11-2008, 10:33
I came across the forum while searching to by my first set of equipment. From reading the threads, I noticed how friendly and helpful the people were. It is a great place to learn from others.

chris408
06-11-2008, 10:51
Lots of great info here and it's good to see that ST staff are involved with answering questions.

highdesert
06-17-2008, 12:24
Too many people on the "other" board who know all there is to know about how to dive (their way), and what to use (their gear). This is not to say there are not many great people there ... and I still post there ... but this is a different vibe, I think.

DaneMeyer20
06-17-2008, 13:42
Its a little more laid back then other boards and since i buy there products why not get a little discount

scootermcfly
06-17-2008, 15:20
I actually started checking out this board when there was server trouble on another board...I rarely ever go back to the other since.

digitalman
07-01-2008, 13:35
I'm only sorry that I joined after buying a lot of my gear. The info and pricing here could have pointed me in other directions as to the accessory items (slate, compass, etc.) and would have saved me $$ along the way.

JillianAnnO
07-01-2008, 13:46
I joined because diving has become an obsession and this is one more way to feed the addiction!

mchain
07-01-2008, 15:08
I voted "other". I really didn't know about the rewards for being a member or posting when I recently signed up. I mostly joined because I found the store online and liked the idea that they are a real store with a very good online presence. I've not yet ordered anything because shipping is difficult for me until I get home soon, but I will without a doubt.

COJeff
07-01-2008, 15:55
I joined to ask a few specific questions, and have stayed because of the atmosphere. Everyone here is very friendly. The discount is an added bonus!

ScubaNoob
07-01-2008, 22:57
We get a discount?

.... ah, stupid question after all. Just found thread entitled "10%".

Eddym67
07-01-2008, 23:07
We get a discount?
Didnt know that either. Tired of "Know It All's".

ScubaNoob
07-01-2008, 23:20
FYI. Can't find that thread by searching for 10%. You'll get a: "The search term you specified (10%) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer." I found it while browsing the "New Posts" To summarize - Call Scuba Toys, tell 'em your a forum member and they'll take care of you.

PS. I've learned more about equipment in a couple hours reading this forum than I learned in the last month surfing lots and lots of other "scuba" sites and forums. THANKS Scuba Toys.

character157
07-02-2008, 07:38
It seemed like a great place for info-recommended by a dive buddy.

Truered1
07-02-2008, 16:59
I joined to learn more about diving and equipment. Also, to possibly find dive partners in the area that I live.

Sasha_K
07-02-2008, 17:05
in addition to my vote, it has been a great experience, no flame wars and everyone seems to be quite pleasant

ChefDvr
07-02-2008, 17:59
I joined becasue all the folks at the shop are great! They know the equipment and really are helpful, not just trying to get rich. I'm glad they are the LDS 3 miles from the crib. Thanks Joe, and Larry,and Craig, and Joey, and DDG and...................!

Grizbear98
07-03-2008, 07:31
when I signed up for the forum, I didn't realize what great information I'd find on here or what kind of customer service to expect. After ordering my first wetsuit and seeing how helpful they were I was hooked. This forum is also really addicting, which is why I've been sitting here at my internship when I have nothing to but post for the past 2 weeks :D

Vercingetorix
07-03-2008, 15:16
We get a discount?
Didnt know that either.And you know about the $10 coupon for 10 posts and $50 coupon for 250 posts, right?
Tired of "Know It All's".Yeah...truly annoys those of us who do:smilie39:

ScubaNoob
07-04-2008, 17:27
Yeah, I saw the coupon for 10 and 250 posts on the forum intro page. Just took a while to track down the info on the 10%.

Only 239 to go!!! :)

plot
07-05-2008, 19:33
Scubaboard was constantly down last summer, ST took the opportunity to replace it, and did a mighty fine job. Created a much more friendlier atomosphere so I never went back to SB.

jimmysdevoted
07-05-2008, 22:12
We by accident found ST... So when i by accident discovered teh forum i began lurking.,, reading learning......
it wasnt until a while later that I decided to join...

julie

Rhino
07-06-2008, 00:36
I found many members of another site that rhymes with Tuba Hoard to be arrogant know-it-alls. I think that anybody who professes to "know it all" about diving is full of dung.

Anyway, glad to be here.

BillS
09-08-2008, 17:42
Primarily to learn as much as I can from all of you and for what it's worth to throw my 2 cents in every once in a while. :communityhelper:

peteg
09-08-2008, 17:50
I joined because the vibe here is way friendlier than most of the entire internet, especially that *other* scuba diving board. The GCs and the discount reinforce the friendly vibe, and the Scuba Toys team really understands how to build a community.

drako
09-08-2008, 20:34
I like smaller boards, its not a 1000 posts a day so you can read everything instead of just glancing. Get to know the people and most importantly you dont get flamed as often. Also people recieve good advice generally and most people here have a "learn" attitude then an arrogant attitude.

tfd86
09-09-2008, 06:10
what 10% discount

bubble-head
09-09-2008, 09:40
The best thing I like about the forum is how friendly everyone is. It's not fun to ask a question and have several people try to make you feel stupid.

Warren
09-09-2008, 10:09
Al the above!

I don't even visit the other forums now.

Montana Diver
12-17-2008, 10:03
I joined to be able to get information on quality dive shops for my Maui vacation. What better place to get info on who gets upset enough to ban customers for peeing in a their wetsuit? The www has all the great things a dive shop offers, however in real life things go wrong...sometimes horribly. I am EXTREMELY competitive in business and life, yet I am not interested in cutting corners to be able to dive. I want a great experience at a reasonable cost with safety as a large factor. I am new to the sport so I approach it with a certain degree of caution. Tough to call a timeout and a "do-over" when below 50'.

shawnwill36
12-17-2008, 11:21
i joined to find meet people and to get info on upcoming trips and learn about diving

monant
12-17-2008, 12:10
I just had several questions to ask. I received some good answers too!

Skred
12-17-2008, 12:52
I wanted to brush up and practice on tables when I was about to start DM training. I happened upon Larry's Table Tutor software via a google search. I joined the forum to get the key to the software for free.

It didn't take long for me to figure out that I had stumbled upon something pretty cool that I never would have believed possible...an online community where people act like mature (Ok, most of the time!), properly socialized human beings who enjoy learning from and interacting with each other.

What a concept!:smiley32:

imasinker
12-17-2008, 16:39
same as everyone else.... To talk to people that knew about the one thing I didn't..Diving....