PDA

View Full Version : Dive Rite HID 10w

Brandon Belew
02-23-2008, 14:57
Just curious if anyone else has bought this light. It's a good light, haven't had a chance to dive with it yet - but it's built nicely.

I was just curious what the burn time was on your first cycles?

I know I have to cycle it a couple times before getting a full burn time, the first one lasted about 30 minutes in my bathtub.. glad I decided to cycle it instead of just go diving ;)

CompuDude
02-23-2008, 15:06
Just curious if anyone else has bought this light. It's a good light, haven't had a chance to dive with it yet - but it's built nicely.

I was just curious what the burn time was on your first cycles?

I know I have to cycle it a couple times before getting a full burn time, the first one lasted about 30 minutes in my bathtub.. glad I decided to cycle it instead of just go diving ;)

Is this the handheld or the canister?

Brandon Belew
02-23-2008, 15:19
canister

Dive Rite MR11 Sunspot HID Slimline Light, Dive Lights, Dive Rite, Dive Rite MR11 Sunspot HID Slimline Light (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=DIRMR11SunspotHIDSlimlineLig ht)

Brandon Belew
02-23-2008, 17:23
canister

Dive Rite MR11 Sunspot HID Slimline Light, Dive Lights, Dive Rite, Dive Rite MR11 Sunspot HID Slimline Light (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=DIRMR11SunspotHIDSlimlineLig ht)

I'm on my 3rd cycle now, 40 minutes the last time and it wasn't ran down yet. This time i'm letting it burn for 60 minutes then another full battery charge.

medic001918
02-23-2008, 17:26
I have this light, but I haven't had any issues with a poor burn time even being used on multiple dives in a day. The light so far has been bulletproof. I'd recommend the light to someone.

Shane

Charles R
02-23-2008, 17:27
Sounds like a good light I went with the Salvo light and Love the burn time I am getting about ~260 min on a single charge then 2.5 hrs for recharge it good for a day of diving on 1 battery

Brandon Belew
02-23-2008, 17:35
This is the best light i've ever owned - just playing it safe on the cycling of the battery. Don't want to have to buy a replacement 150+$ battery in the near future ;)

Charles R
02-23-2008, 17:37
I did the same when I first got mine it now has ~30 dives on it

Brandon Belew
02-23-2008, 17:42
This is my first can light - upgraded from my moms old 4 c dive light from the 80's ( pink lol ) to a princeton shockwave 2 to this.

I'm going to take it with me tuesday to the pool - sure it's not dark. But I figure I might as well test it in something a little deeper then the bathtub before I use it in the field.

CompuDude
02-23-2008, 19:59
If you're only getting 60 minutes, you may very well have a bad battery or a bad charger. I'd give DiveRite a call.

NiMH batteries do need a break in period to get up to their capacity, but it's not typically so extreme as to swing from 30 minutes to 4 hours on a brand new can light.

Brandon Belew
02-24-2008, 01:40
It was over an hour and still going the last cycle, going to try for 2+ hours tomorrow.

cummings66
02-24-2008, 07:49
Brandon,

Not meaning to discourage you, but those lamps only have so many hours of usage before they pop. I personally wouldn't use them up in the pool. It's gone long enough as is that you could trust it on a dive, so I'd just start taking it on dive trips and use it until it goes out, then you know how long it will last.

I just thought I'd mention that because the lamps are not cheap, and I'm sure it's good to go.

Brandon Belew
02-24-2008, 10:15
I don't plan on using it in the pool per say - just rigging it up on my BC and taking it down with me. Mainly wanting to take it with me to figure out how best to rig it up - and to make sure it doesn't flood.

Brandon Belew
02-24-2008, 11:18
Just for future knowledge, where is the cheapest place to find bulbs for these things? 150$ seems to be the going rate on most sites, but i've seen it at 99$
BULB - H10 10W HID (LT6502) (http://www.caveexcursions.com/p-542-bulb-h10-10w-hid-lt6502.aspx)

cummings66
02-24-2008, 19:44
If it were to flood, in fresh water you most likely will find it will survive. I've got buddies who've flooded lights and they've all made it just fine. Mine flooded when I somehow unlatched it on a dive, been a couple years back and it did fine too.

in_cavediver
02-24-2008, 20:06
Brandon,

As a point of reference, my wife uses that exact light and we get around 4-4.5 hours on it before it hesitates strarting. Plenty for a couple good long dives.

If you are getting only 30-60 minutes - theres a problem with either your battery or charger. Call Dive Rite and talk to them.

As for the bulb longevity - I have had one for more than 5 years with over 100 hours on it - likely close to 200. No problems so far.

Brandon Belew
02-24-2008, 21:25
It's getting longer burn times now, just needed a couple cycles. It ran for well over an hour the last time I cycled and wasn't dimming or shutting off - I figure it probably would have went another hour or more.