PDA

View Full Version : Dive South Padre

RECDiver
02-24-2008, 19:23
Hi, All,
I got an email tonight from American Diving, so I thought I would share the info.

Greetings from South Padre Island and the home of the Texas Clipper.
Sale, Sale, Sale!!!!!!!!
We are making way for the seasons new products!
All items in stock MUST GO!!
40% off of all in stock store items only during March 1 and March 2.

LOCAL DIVERS
Discount dive cards are available with local (with Valley Tx DL) for discounts available on all dive trips and equipment through December of 08.

Texas Clipper Diving:
Winter visibility was 30 feet. The blue water is now back on the Texas Clipper without thermoclines. Visibility is currently around 80 feet. Water temperature is currently 69 degrees
American Diving is running Texas Clipper trips every Saturday and Sunday during the month of March and April with a locals dive special on April 9.

Diving Courses require reservations

Nitrox Diver Certification
March 22 and 23
$300 and includes books, nitrox , and offshore dive trip.

Locals Special on Scuba Certification with Nitrox Diver
April 12, 13, 19 and 20
$400 and includes books, academics, pool, rental equipment, TWO offshore dive trips.
Call now for reservations!

Wreck Diver Course
May 3 , 4, and 10
Includes two dive trips to the Texas Clipper
$400

Introduction to Technical Diving
May 17, 18, 24,
$600.00 and includes one dive trip to the Texas Clipper

Wreck Penetration, Technical Nitrox and Decompression Techniques
May 25, 31, June 1, June 6, 7, 8 and 9th.
must have Intro to Tech and Nitrox as prerequisites
$1000 and includes 4 dive trips to The Texas Clipper.

texdiveguy
02-24-2008, 21:20
Thanks for the information.

aggie99
03-22-2008, 23:45
Is there any update on if they are going to try and correct the Texas Clipper so it's not on it's side? I know they were reviewing if it was a contractor issue or just bad luck.

RECDiver
03-24-2008, 18:16
There is an interview with Dale Shively,the head of the project, in the April, 2008 Scuba Diving magazine on page 24. The project is still open and there are discussions going on about righting the ship, however it is just talk for now.

aggie99
03-24-2008, 18:59
There is an interview with Dale Shively,the head of the project, in the April, 2008 Scuba Diving magazine on page 24. The project is still open and there are discussions going on about righting the ship, however it is just talk for now.

Yeah, I did get to read that article, it was interesting. I was just curious if anyone had heard anything more since I am sure it was written a few months ago. Thanks!

UCFKnightDiver
03-24-2008, 19:02
fun lift bags :D jk how do you right a big ship?

aggie99
03-24-2008, 19:25
fun lift bags :D jk how do you right a big ship?

The only idea I had would be to put large deflated bladders under the side that is down and inflate them until it stands up but doesn't topple on it's other side. Then they could secure it some how. Of course this is just a guess but I couldn't think of any other way that was simple.

They could always do what the mythbusters did and filled a sunken boat with ping pong balls until it rose to the surface.:smiley36: Then they could try and sink it straight this time!

ReefHound
03-24-2008, 21:20
Maybe they could dredge from the other side until gravity rolls it upright into the groove, which would then serve to help keep it their through future hurricanes.

texdiveguy
03-24-2008, 22:04
I only hope its left in its current position till I get down there to dive her this season.

mm_dm
03-25-2008, 08:13
I only hope its left in its current position till I get down there to dive her this season.

Yeah, same here. Maybe they can address the lay of the ship in the offseason, assuming they actually plan to do something about it at all. It took them so long to get the Clipper in the water as it was...

SiscoKid
03-31-2008, 18:02
Hay I have two 100 lb lift bags, any of you interested in going down and flipping it back up.

mitsuguy
04-01-2008, 06:59

Yeah, same here. Maybe they can address the lay of the ship in the offseason, assuming they actually plan to do something about it at all. It took them so long to get the Clipper in the water as it was...

You plan on going with Duggan??? I've gotta look into the dates still, but we are planning on making the trip down there too...

I really want to see it on its side, at least once as well...

mm_dm
04-01-2008, 07:43

You plan on going with Duggan??? I've gotta look into the dates still, but we are planning on making the trip down there too...

I really want to see it on its side, at least once as well...

Yeah, I'll get the particulars...I'm dying to dive that boat.

mm_dm
04-01-2008, 07:44
Hay I have two 100 lb lift bags, any of you interested in going down and flipping it back up.

I like your style Sisco...:smiley36: