PDA

View Full Version : Epcot Dive Quest

DarinMartell
02-25-2008, 07:45
It's official, I am booked for Tuesday August 12th at 4:30pm! If anyone is interested there are openings.

They said I could wear my own mask and a watch. Does anyone know if the "watch" can be a wrist mounted computer so I can download the dive?

PFD305
02-25-2008, 10:42
Yeah, I had my wrist mount computer on when I did it in Jan.

TravisD
02-26-2008, 14:03
2nd'd -- we've taken our wrist computers twice now with no questions asked.

maggs_the
02-26-2008, 15:18
i loved my Epcot dive :D it was my very first saltwater dive.

talk about setting expectations high!

scubasamurai
02-26-2008, 17:32
they let you take your watch or computer, but really you don't need either have fun always like going there, just be careful of the windtunnel after you get out of the water, gets a little chilly sometimes

DarinMartell
02-26-2008, 17:44
It's official, I am booked for Tuesday August 12th at 4:30pm! If anyone is interested there are openings.

They said I could wear my own mask and a watch. Does anyone know if the "watch" can be a wrist mounted computer so I can download the dive?

I can't believe I misspelled EPCOT on the post heading! I've only been there like 30 times (It's our favorite park). And of course I can't edit the subject line, I guess I better not let my wife see this, she would be very dissapointed in me!

Foo2
02-26-2008, 17:47
I can't believe I misspelled EPCOT on the post heading! I've only been there like 30 times (It's our favorite park). And of course I can't edit the subject line, I guess I better not let my wife see this, she would be very dissapointed in me!

Fixed:smiley20:

DarinMartell
02-26-2008, 18:01

Fixed:smiley20:

And peole where bad mouthing you mods in the other thread! Your great! :smiley32:

Osprey
02-26-2008, 18:15
Snatch Will, he'll make a mini-gathering out of it :) Hehe

ParrotHead
02-26-2008, 18:45
DiveQuest was the first dive with my new computer - from ScubaToys, of course. No issues. You'll enjoy the dive.

-PH

NitroWill
02-26-2008, 19:16
You can wear a wrist watch/computer - but chances are it won't log 95% of the dive since most of the dive is above 20 feet and your computer considers it a safety stop/surface.

allknighter237
04-24-2008, 18:44
i have already done this dive twice and it is awesome! they really spoil you and do everything but the actual dive for you!

jwdizney
04-24-2008, 21:08
disneys are going May 28th!... our second time, loved it last time!:smiley20:

TX1Chica
04-28-2008, 16:52
I have to go to Fl this summer for work. I'm thinking about doing this. It looks pretty fun. The only things that might hold me up are $ and the fact that I really don't know if I want to go by myself.

frogman159
04-29-2008, 07:43
I can't wait to do this..We make the pilgramage to Disney every 2 years at least.

DarinMartell
04-29-2008, 13:04
I have to go to Fl this summer for work. I'm thinking about doing this. It looks pretty fun. The only things that might hold me up are $ and the fact that I really don't know if I want to go by myself.

If you have AAA there is a 15% discount, if not there is a coupon in the back of one of the Disney planning books you can buy. And the $$ does go to the Disney conservation program not the mouse so thats a plus. If you where not planning on going to the parks make sure you do the 4:30 session, then after you can go and enjoy Epcot center without needing a ticket ($75 normally). If you are not into the rides just walk around the World Showcase drinking beer from 11 different countries and stick around for the fireworks. I am the only diver in my group so I'm on my own but knowing Disney I expect it will be a great experience no matter what! You said you go in the summer, if it happens to be in Aug last I checked they still had openings at the 4:30 session on the 12th.

TX1Chica
04-29-2008, 14:08
I go in July. I want to do it, but I'll have to wait until it gets a little closer to decide. Where do you get one of the Disney planning books with the coupon? Would it be worth it to buy the book just to get the Dive Quest coupon?

DarinMartell
04-29-2008, 14:18
I go in July. I want to do it, but I'll have to wait until it gets a little closer to decide. Where do you get one of the Disney planning books with the coupon? Would it be worth it to buy the book just to get the Dive Quest coupon?

The coupon saves you $21, If you go to any book store you should be able to find a "Birnbaum's guide to Disney World" for around $15. If you don't have roadside assistance on your car AAA costs around $50, plus you get discounts at a-lot of other places.

jwdizney
04-29-2008, 20:48
Have to throw this out there for you Dive Quest afficianados... Disneymom got a review of Dive Quest published in AllEars weekly newsletter this week!... go to wwww.allearsnet.com and subscribe to the newsletter...

edit: here's a link to her review: Tour Reports - DiveQuest (http://allears.net/btp/tour_dive.htm)

we're so proud... :smiley32:

(disney family dive quest in 30 days!)

Beaucoupfishies
04-29-2008, 21:43
If you have AAA there is a 15% discount, if not there is a coupon in the back of one of the Disney planning books you can buy. And the $$ does go to the Disney conservation program not the mouse so thats a plus. If you where not planning on going to the parks make sure you do the 4:30 session, then after you can go and enjoy Epcot center without needing a ticket ($75 normally). If you are not into the rides just walk around the World Showcase drinking beer from 11 different countries and stick around for the fireworks. I am the only diver in my group so I'm on my own but knowing Disney I expect it will be a great experience no matter what! You said you go in the summer, if it happens to be in Aug last I checked they still had openings at the 4:30 session on the 12th.

When was the last time you went? I had heard that they stopped including park admission with the dive. I guess since the park only closes a few hours later they just let you in for the heck of it if you do the last dive?

DarinMartell
04-29-2008, 23:31

When was the last time you went? I had heard that they stopped including park admission with the dive. I guess since the park only closes a few hours later they just let you in for the heck of it if you do the last dive?

Never been but when I called to book thats what I was told. It won't help me since I will be there already (we have a group of 17 eating at coral reef right after).

Penguino
04-29-2008, 23:40
Is there a website with information, or do I have to go through the disney site? I don't know anything about it but everyone likes it, so I may check it out.

DarinMartell
04-29-2008, 23:46
Have to throw this out there for you Dive Quest afficianados... Disneymom got a review of Dive Quest published in AllEars weekly newsletter this week!... go to wwww.allearsnet.com and subscribe to the newsletter...

Great! I will have to check it out. Do any of the other Disney fans here hang out at Itercot?

TX1Chica
04-30-2008, 09:03

edit: here's a link to her review: Tour Reports - DiveQuest (http://allears.net/btp/tour_dive.htm)

She did a great job! I think this will be really helpful for anyone interested in more information about DQuest.
Big thank you to Disneymom. This review makes me want to do the dive even more.

DarinMartell
04-30-2008, 12:56
Is there a website with information, or do I have to go through the disney site? I don't know anything about it but everyone likes it, so I may check it out.

The Disney site has some info, allears.net has more. If you want to book it is paid up front and the number is 1-407-wdw-play

reef
05-01-2008, 15:59
You must write a report afterwards. We are going in September. It's a surprise present for my better half on our anniversary.

Beaucoupfishies
05-02-2008, 14:11

Great review. Makes me want to go that much more! :smiley32:

Disney may know how to part you from your money, but they also know how to show you a good time!

Miked
05-03-2008, 11:57

Good report! I did the dive on Apr 19, and your report was like an instant replay of the dive I did.
thanks for the memory!

DarinMartell
05-31-2008, 15:16
I just checked availability and there is still openings for the Aug 12th 4:30 dive if anyone is interested. I can't wait!!

jwdizney
06-04-2008, 19:02
Okay you guys, we just dove it again last wednesday (just got back from vacation yesterday!).. still an incredible dive! very relaxing, LOTS of sea life and, for lack of a better word, magical! if you're on the fence about doing the dive, DO IT!!! It's not cheap, but the fee goes toward wildlife conservation NOT disney corp.!....

:smiley20::smiley20:

rawalker
06-04-2008, 20:05
Next time the Mrs and I are in that area it is on the list of excursions to accomplish.

Beaucoupfishies
06-17-2008, 13:35
Looks like Osprey and I will be going this Sunday the 22nd! I called today on a whim and they had openings available!

mwhities
06-17-2008, 13:40
Stop by and say hey to Will!!

http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/14228-disneys-epcot-divequest-lookout.html

Beaucoupfishies
06-17-2008, 13:44
Stop by and say hey to Will!!

http://forum.scubatoys.com/scuba-stories-comments-questions-dont-fit-elsewhere/14228-disneys-epcot-divequest-lookout.html

Yep, when she gets home she's going to shoot him an email. She's been meaning to write him for a bit anyway. :smiley20:

scubasamurai
06-17-2008, 13:55
yes a time of the signs, i got july 4th on a wim too!!!

Beaucoupfishies
06-17-2008, 20:30
yes a time of the signs, i got july 4th on a wim too!!!

I think Disney is beaming out signals and since we're close we got them first. :smiley36:

Osprey
06-18-2008, 23:22
Will spiked the water is all :)

scubasamurai
06-19-2008, 14:07

what do you mean spiked mmmh:smiley11:

mike_s
06-19-2008, 14:51

what do you mean spiked mmmh:smiley11:

well there are two kinds of divers...

Those who Pee in their wetsuits....

and those who Lie About it....

Then there is Will.... He might fall under the category of "those who pee in their aquarium". :smilie39:

Beaucoupfishies
06-23-2008, 17:51
We had a great time at Dive Quest this weekend! Got there a little late because of all the nasty storms, but we were only a few minutes late so it wasn't a big deal.

I wish some of the people in our group would have been a little more social, but the staff was awesome and I could really get used to not having to set up/disassemble my own gear! :smiley36:

TX1Chica
06-25-2008, 16:17
Any tips I need to know before I go in July?

Vercingetorix
06-25-2008, 16:25
Tx1Chica, contact Will through his website, www.scubawill.com (http://www.scubawill.com) to determine when he's working DiveQuest, so you can meet him; he's a great guy.

jwdizney
06-25-2008, 20:19
definitely contact Will... He's the "disney connection"! and rick is right, he's a great guy!:smiley20:

mike_s
06-25-2008, 20:55
Well... I did DiveQuest yesterday. Had a blast.

Didn't see Will there, but didn't expect him to be diving as it was his 2nd day working there and figured they wouldnt throw him in the tank yet until he'd undgone whatever training they had....

I'll post a "dive report" later on this week when I get caught up. (just got back).

mike_s
06-25-2008, 22:35
I DIDN'T buy the video....

why? because I just wasn't that impressed by it.

I'd seen videos of Dive Quest before and the folks pointed out in it that it was mostly "canned footage".

as a forenote, before we dove we had to watch a "info video" about the aquarium that had some rules in it, info about the aqarium, and video statements from divers saying "how great the dive was".

well we got to watch our video. The first part of it was a little about the aqarium and the same exact divers as in the intro video saying "how great the dive was". Then they had a few shots of us in the video, then a shot of each of us sticking our head up in a 'glass diving bell' (air filled) and removing our masks for the camera and smiling/waving. Then a few other shots.

The staff told us up front that part of the video was 'canned' and that our part was only 9 minutes long. I think they showed me twice for a grand total of about 12 seconds (if that).

we even joked that the other divers in the canned video even had on different wetsuits and diver fins than all the divers in our group did.

yes there were a few great shots of the divers in our group in the video, but I just wasn't inspired to buy it. It just wasn't worth it in my opinion.

What it would be really good for is for sharing with friends at home so you could show them what you did on a dive and showing them the aquarium. but like I said, most of us were limited in what they showed of us.

oh... If you had family there, you could go over to the glass and meet up with your family to get them and you in the video together. The camera crew made sure they did that with the divers.

The aquarium staff was great. it was just that they only had 40 minutes of dive to do all the footage, half of which most likely wasn't much use for the video as they had to move around. Then they only had enough time to "edit it all together" while we were changing back into our dry clothes. so they had to edit this video together and insert it in the canned footage to be ready for us to buy in I'd say 20-30 minutes time. So the film crew didn't have much to work with with both video time/length or edit time.....

so it wasn't that it was terrible or anything, but just wasn't great either.

mike_s
06-25-2008, 23:45
Ok.... since several folks are going on future trips, I'll outline what all we went through. HOPEFULLY this is helpfull. It's a little long, but I wanted to give those going on future trips all the info that you might want to know.

Pre Dive Meeting:
For the dive, you exit EPCOT and meet at Guest Relations outside the gate. (not to be consfused with Guest Relations inside the park). To find this area, go out the ticket gate and hang a left. Guest relations is to the far left of all the ticket booths. There is a window there if you have questions, but they just pointed us to the benches and said the dive staff would be here soon. Right on time they show up and check us all in. They call you by name and want your C-Card right then. They will keep it and give it back to you after the dive. Here they size you up for your wetsuit and ask your shoe size and t-shirt size (you get a t-shirt as part of the dive fee).

Pre Dive Tour:
We then went in through the gate and we paused at the dumpster trash compactor. The guide joked that if we got bent on the dive that this was their re-compression chamber. As we entered the building they pointed out the aquarium mixing tanks and filter/pumps equipment across the parking lot. We then went inside and they showed us a map that had project areas they were working on.....

We then went upstairs to a briefing room where we watched a short briefing video and filled out the liability release forms..... then on to the locker room.

Locker Room:
They had seperate mens and womens locker rooms. Inside was a locker with our names on it. Inside the locker was a shorty wetsuit, a pair of low-rise booties and a clean towel. THe locker room had changing stalls with showers in them for you to change into your wetsuit and then store your personal items in the locker. You then gave the key to the dive staff for safe keeping. After the dive you could take a shower and change. The showers had shampoo and body wash in them and the sink area had hair dryers. (I know someone will want to know this). They give you a bag to put your swimsuit in (after the dive), but I reccomend bringing a ziplock to put it in if you're going to put it in your backpack, etc.

Going to the Dive Deck:
After you change, you then walk from "backstage" through the main viewing floor of the aquarium. You get a few strange looks from folks as you walk through the main tourist areas to the tank. All the little kids think it's cool as they see you in your wetsuits. You then go up to the top of the aquarium and find your dive gear already assembled.

Dive Gear and Dive Deck:
The Dive Gear was if I remember correctly Scuba Pro BC's. Weight integrated. They already had the weights in the BC. I was a little overweighted but not too bad. The regulators were Atomic. I think they were B2's. The only other notable items about the gear was that they didn't have octopuses or depth gauges. They didn't even mention this or make any safety briefing about it, which I found odd.... but the max depth was 25', so in the unlikely event you had an equipment problem, you could easily reach the surface. not sure why they didn't have depth gauges, but like I said, it was only 25' deep. The dive masters (3 in water including the camera guy). all had octo's I noticed. (actually attached to a small pony I think mounted on their main tank.)

The tanks were all AL80's and AL63's. For the most part a few of the smaller body divers had AL63's and so did the female divers. I noticed that one of the diver masters was diving steel tanks though. but that wasn't an option for us. They stated if you were an air hog and ran low on air and that there was at least 5 minutes left in the dive, they would change out your tank for a new one for you to continue your dive.

Masks were ScubaPro masks or Atomics masks. Fins were Atomic split fins. No snorkels, but we didn't need them. wetsuits were 2.5mm Scubapro shorites, rear zip.

You are allowed to bring your own mask and a dive watch. I though they would make you dip it in something to santitize it, but I never saw them do that with anyone. All other gear you must their gear.

Dive Conditions:
The water temp was 78f. It was a little chilly getting in with a shortie, but fine after a minute. I didn't get cold during the dive. vis was pretty unlimited as the waster was crystal clear. I personally thought the lighting was a little dim in the aquarium, but was told it was that way to help keep down algae.

Aquarium info:
The Aquarium is 25' deep as noted before. It holds 6 million gallons according to what they told us. it was about 200' across. they have walkways that run in the center of the aqarium so it divides it up. they also have a "dolphin area" that is fenced off. we were told several times to keep at least 10' away from that area. The viewing areas have two floors to see into the aquarium. most of the viewing was from the second floor as the viewing area on the first floor windows have been painted black and turned into part of the "Nemo Ride". The other viewing area was on the other side of the aquarium and was in the restaurant there. so you dove by where people were eating dinner. The water is circulated and refreshed I think they said every 3 hours.

In the Aquarium:
The "big fish" of the aquarium were the sharks and the rays and the turtle. There were 6 sharks in the aquarium I was told. I know that I found at least 4 seperate ones. but not sure if I saw all six or maybe a just four that I saw multiple times. There were also several sting rays. I noticed that they didn't have barbs.... I asked about them later and was told they were removed for safety purposes of the divers/swimmers.

All kinds of different fishes in the aquarium. Too many to mention, but basically all the tropical fish that were of decent size.

there was also a HUGE turtle. it seemed to get in our 'groups' way a couple times when we were on the 'initial tour'. It also snapped/bit one of the divers fins on the dive.

The reefs were all mand made fiberglass, but looked pretty darn real. It is the original reef installed 20 years ago when the aquarium opened but they've had to fix places over the years and re-paint a few spots. it's all mounted on steel beams that you can see if you look at it close up. still looks pretty good. the 'sea floor' is all small shells. I'm guessing this is to they can vaccum and filter out the shells from being sucked up and just suck up the dirt/fish-poop.

The Dive:
For the dive, we got in the water and did a surface swim over to a float with a "down line". There were I think 12 divers in our group, so it was a little crowded a few times when we were all together. The Dive Master said we would follow her over, go down, do a check, then follow her on a guided part of the dive. Then we would come back to the down line and we could then split up in buddy pairs.

So we did all that, when down, she did the OK check with all of us and swam us over to a "diving bell". We then waited and went in one by one and they video taped us. we removed our mask and reg and waved for all 12 of us to do this.... we then swam through some coral arches and zig zagged back in a mass crowd to the up/down line. With the 12 divers, plus the dive masters all together, it felt like an "Aquarium cattle dive". But later we realized they were just doing the swim thoughs to get the camera shots for the videos as the camera diver rushed ahead of us each time (which explained us zig-zagging so he could get ahead of us). After we got back to the line, we broke up and did our own thing.

For those who had family/friends in the viewing area, the video camera guy did a quick video of you and your family together.

we then swam the aquarium. People watched you like you were rock stars... waving and trying to get your attention from the viewing areas. It was fun to interact with the kids and it made their day to have any of the divers come over to them. It was a lot of fun to interact with them.

I followed around the turtle and a couple of the sharks while on the dive and noticed they seemed to circle in the same exact pattern each time. I thought that was interesting.

the end of the dive was signaled by the dive master pounding two rocks together at that up line at 40 minutes into the dive. we all met there and ascended back up. no safety stop at 20' as the aquarium was only 25' deep. I was back on deck with between 2000 and 2100psi left in my tank, so I hated having to get out "so early" with so much air left in my tank.

Post Dive Tour:
After the dive, as we got out they handed us all a clean towel. We then proceeded in wetsuit to the area behind the aquarium to where they had a couple holding tanks. One had a couple dolphins asleep in it that they seperated out during parts of the day to keep them from getting agressive with the other dolphins we were told. They also had all kinds of PVC pipes in different shapes hanging on the wall. They used these to train the dolphins to reconize a shape with a certain sound or word.

From there we proceeded to a back area tank where they had a couple Manatee's. These were bought rescued animals that had been rehabilitated and would be returned to the wild soon in the upcoming months.

As a note they talked about the shark feedings. A group comes in a 3am and feeds the sharks in the middle of the night. They told us that they wore all black and fed them from the surface with the lights off so they couldn't be seen. They didn't want the sharks to associate the food with people was the reason for the dark clothes and no lighting. So the sharks could never see how they were being fed. The different types of sharks are trained to come to an audible sound to a certain planform area to be fed each time...

After that, back to the locker rooms to change.

Dive Review:
After changing, we went back into the briefing room and picked up our C-cards, filled our a review form, and got a t-shirt. They also let us look at the video on DVD. (I'm guessing it was 20 minutes long.) I think my above post reflects what it was about pretty decently, so no sense in re-stating it. They were $35 each. You could buy them right there for exact change cash or in the gif shop afterwards using credit card.

After that, we were "turned loose" into the aquarium and into the park. So if you hadn't paid the ticket to get into Epcot, you now had free roam of the park. THe only thing was that you didn't have any "official ticket" that you could use for FastPass, but by that time of day I'd say that most rides FastPass would be long gone anyway. Regardless, you still had time to grab something to eat and get a spot to watch the 9pm fireworks display that they do every night.

Overall the whole process took about 2.5 hours, although their website says it will take 3 hours from start to finish.

Dive Staff:
I'll say the dive staff was fun and helpfull. The had two seperate groups for above water and in water. They made sure the whole process went smoothly. the only thing I could note was that we really weren't given any safety briefing on the dive deck by the "underwater dive master group" on what to do in the event of any emergency and the fact that we didn't have any octos. I just found that to be a little odd, but oh well.

Summary:
Lots of fun and I would reccomend it to anyone to do. It also gives your non-diving family members a chance to see you dive, which might be hard in other dive locations.

Reference URL's to Disney sites

Walt Disney World Resort - Detecting Browser Properties . . . (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/tourDetail?id=EpcotDiveQuestTourPage)

Dive Quest (http://www.epcotdivequest.com/)

Vercingetorix
06-26-2008, 07:45
Excellent write-up Thank you.:smiley32::smiley32::smiley32:

I can't wait to dive it in December.

Just talked to Will (NitroWill, Yahoo ID=>WillUnderwater). He's having a great time there; he's still in training. He mentioned that if you want to do this dive, reserve early, because slots fill quickly. You can cancel upto 48 hours before the event (he believes).

scubasamurai
06-26-2008, 21:49
going again in jluy 4th weekend , remember folks ask for your discount either with a dive group, disney visa card, naui membership also. found the disney visa gave the biggest discount if not going with a dive club.

Splitlip
06-26-2008, 22:49
"I could note was that we really weren't given any safety briefing on the dive deck by the "underwater dive master group" on what to do in the event of any emergency and the fact that we didn't have any octos. I just found that to be a little odd, but oh well."

Nice report. Thanks. But regarding the above. They ask for C cards, so the guests are certified divers. Dive is to 20ft (depth 25') If there were a reg problem (which should not happen at Disney :)), no diver is going t look for a buddy's octo. He is going up. Then, like you said, 3 DMs with octos any way.

mike_s
06-26-2008, 22:59
"I could note was that we really weren't given any safety briefing on the dive deck by the "underwater dive master group" on what to do in the event of any emergency and the fact that we didn't have any octos. I just found that to be a little odd, but oh well."

Nice report. Thanks. But regarding the above. They ask for C cards, so the guests are certified divers. Dive is to 20ft (depth 25') If there were a reg problem (which should not happen at Disney :)), no diver is going t look for a buddy's octo. He is going up. Then, like you said, 3 DMs with octos any way.

I'll point out that just because someone has a C-card doesn't mean anything about their diving abilitity or how they handle themselves in an emergency or panic situation. I've seen certified divers who couldn't handle a dive in any calm conditions.

I doubt you'd ever have a regulator problem at Disney. they are pretty detailed with everything they do, and didn't use cheap gear in the first place.

I was just surprised that didn't go over anything on the dive gear in relation to the fact that you didn't have an octo. Especially since now days everyone is trained with an octo. None of the other divers seemed to notice, or didn't mention it either.... it was just something I found a little odd.

violakat03
06-26-2008, 23:55
I did this dive immediately after getting certified in March, and it was amazing! We drove from Gainesville after getting our temp cards at Devil's Den and made it just in time for the 5:30 dive. It went pretty much exactly like the review said, except when we went, we didn't have 'assigned' lockers. They handed us a bag with our name on it that had our wetsuit, booties and a towel in it, then as we walked into the locker rooms we were handed a key. One thing I found interesting was that they gave the ladies a special type of rubber band to put in our hair that would biodegrade safely if it slipped out while we were in the water.

We did buy the DVD and I'm kind of glad because I showed it to my mom, grandma and brother as soon as we got home, and then used the computer to pull still pictures from it. We're trying to do a week-long trip in December and this will definitely be a part of it - if not twice!

Me and hubby in the dive bell
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/violakat03/vlcsnap-89509.png

Kiss kiss!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/violakat03/vlcsnap-90827.png

After the coral swim-through/video op:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/violakat03/vlcsnap-92791.png

After they released us into the park, we ran over to ride GM Test Track (I've been wanting to ride it for years and it was everything I could have hoped for) and then watched the fireworks before shopping for the last hour they'd let us!

Vercingetorix
06-27-2008, 07:17
Violakat03, What a great first dive!!! Made on the same day you were certified...even better!!!!

harb99
06-27-2008, 08:29
nice review Mike - thanks for sharing

mike_s
06-27-2008, 10:46
One thing I found interesting was that they gave the ladies a special type of rubber band to put in our hair that would biodegrade safely if it slipped out while we were in the water.

They did that for the ladies in our group also.... I thought it was a pretty responsible idea for them to do. (I just forgot to metion it since I didn't require one).

They said the normal hair-rings/ties if eaten by fish would kill them (or at least cause problems).

crgjpg
06-27-2008, 15:39
Very good review. I told my wife that the only way that I would go back to Disney was if we did the Dive Quest.

dive10killer
06-27-2008, 19:32
That would be awesome!

mike_s
06-27-2008, 22:20
Very good review. I told my wife that the only way that I would go back to Disney was if we did the Dive Quest.

one thing I should note, you don't have to pay admission to Disney to dive at Epcot DiveQuest. You meet outside the gate and they take you in....

when you are done, they release you in the aquarium, inside the park, so you still have a couple hours to roam before the fireworks show....

oh... parking at Epcot is $11 bucks. Which is kinda crappy considering that you have to pay I think around $77 bucks for a ticket to get in.

FailedExistence
06-27-2008, 23:04
Excellent review ... sounds like a really cool dive that I'd love to do sometime. Even better if you can share it with non-diving family members.

Osprey
07-11-2008, 11:32
I think parking fees are especially important to remember. I had no idea they'd be so expensive when we went (before we moved to FL, we stayed at Disney resorts so always just took the bus). The guys there are VERY fast at handing change, at least when we went, so have a few bucks at hand and expedite your parking experience!

mike_s
07-12-2008, 09:04
I think parking fees are especially important to remember. I had no idea they'd be so expensive when we went (before we moved to FL, we stayed at Disney resorts so always just took the bus). The guys there are VERY fast at handing change, at least when we went, so have a few bucks at hand and expedite your parking experience!

parking about 2-3 weeks ago at Disney was $11 per vehicle. You pay parking at any Disney park location.

I think that seeing that Disney already charges you about $70 bucks for an entrance ticket and the average car has 2-4 people in it, it's just GOUGING to charge you parking fees that high when they've already got you grabbing your ankles over the park admission fee.

Many of the hotels off property offer free bush shuttle service, but it equates to about 1-2 trips per day to each of the Disney parks, so you have to go WHEN they will take you and leave when they come pick you up. so doesn't work well with scheduling or leaving in the middle of the day.

The whole Disney cost experience to me is just outrageous. But not much that we can do about it as they have 30,000 people a day visiting their park on average. So as long as people will pay it, they can just about charge what they want.

About the only real solution to the parking issue is to stay "on property" at one of the Disney resorts. That'll save you $11/day in parking or $77 over a 7 day week visit, but I guarentee you that they will make it up on meal charges in the hotel, etc if you don't have a car to visit the grocery stores.

You'll go broke paying $3 bucks for a bottle of water every time you need one.

BuzzF117
07-12-2008, 09:43

parking about 2-3 weeks ago at Disney was $11 per vehicle. You pay parking at any Disney park location.

I think that seeing that Disney already charges you about $70 bucks for an entrance ticket and the average car has 2-4 people in it, it's just GOUGING to charge you parking fees that high when they've already got you grabbing your ankles over the park admission fee.

Many of the hotels off property offer free bush shuttle service, but it equates to about 1-2 trips per day to each of the Disney parks, so you have to go WHEN they will take you and leave when they come pick you up. so doesn't work well with scheduling or leaving in the middle of the day.

The whole Disney cost experience to me is just outrageous. But not much that we can do about it as they have 30,000 people a day visiting their park on average. So as long as people will pay it, they can just about charge what they want.

About the only real solution to the parking issue is to stay "on property" at one of the Disney resorts. That'll save you $11/day in parking or $77 over a 7 day week visit, but I guarentee you that they will make it up on meal charges in the hotel, etc if you don't have a car to visit the grocery stores.

You'll go broke paying $3 bucks for a bottle of water every time you need one.

I disagree Disney was worth every penny we spent when we took our kids for their 9th birthday. As for $3 bottle of water you buy one and refill it. If you think through things you can do Disney on a budget so you have money to do things like Dive Quest. My hope is to have my kids certified by the time we go to Disney again and then all four of us can do the dive.

mike_s
07-12-2008, 12:10
I disagree Disney was worth every penny we spent when we took our kids for their 9th birthday. As for $3 bottle of water you buy one and refill it. If you think through things you can do Disney on a budget so you have money to do things like Dive Quest. My hope is to have my kids certified by the time we go to Disney again and then all four of us can do the dive.

I had a good time there... but what I'm saying is for what they charge to get in the park, having to pay extra for parking is like getting slapped in the head after they've already charged you $70+ for your ticket.

As for $3 bottled water, the 2nd day in, we froze some in the hotel fridge overnight and took it in frozed the 2nd day but carrying in a bottle or two. It stayed cold easily up till about lunchtime in our nap-sack. That reduced the $3/bottle purchase price. I refilled a couple times like what you said, but a few of the water fountains had a terrible taste to them and they had to be chunked.

The only thing I was really disappointed in "inside the park" was the French restaurant in Epcot. It wasn't bad, but it was kinda bland. just didn't have a great taste for it. Considering dinner for two including appetizer, wine dessert and tip was $120, I didn't feel that we got a meal that was worthy of the price paid. Neither did my wife.

The Mexian restuarant was GREAT though.

Osprey
07-14-2008, 18:30
I guess working at a theme park I don't even blink at park costs.. at all. A day in the life of, even for us workers

SlvrDragon50
07-15-2008, 01:18
Hmm.. Im really interested..
Can we use the 10% from NAUI in addition to the 15% by AAA?

mike_s
07-15-2008, 10:41
I doubt you can combine both offers...

Otherwise you could throw in the 10% PADI discount also and go for 35% off.

DarinMartell
07-15-2008, 12:35

I had a good time there... but what I'm saying is for what they charge to get in the park, having to pay extra for parking is like getting slapped in the head after they've already charged you $70+ for your ticket.

As for $3 bottled water, the 2nd day in, we froze some in the hotel fridge overnight and took it in frozed the 2nd day but carrying in a bottle or two. It stayed cold easily up till about lunchtime in our nap-sack. That reduced the $3/bottle purchase price. I refilled a couple times like what you said, but a few of the water fountains had a terrible taste to them and they had to be chunked.

The only thing I was really disappointed in "inside the park" was the French restaurant in Epcot. It wasn't bad, but it was kinda bland. just didn't have a great taste for it. Considering dinner for two including appetizer, wine dessert and tip was $120, I didn't feel that we got a meal that was worthy of the price paid. Neither did my wife.

The Mexian restuarant was GREAT though.

The parking fees are just another way to encourage you to stay on property. $70 a day for tickets is not really being realisitic, yes its that much for one day but your earler example was for 7 days. A seven day pass is in the mid $200's I think. the difference between a 5 day pass and a 10 day pass is arounf $10. It's Disney's way to get you to spend all of your time (and hopefully your $$) with them. If you stay on property you can park at any lot at no charge and you can still go off property to get to walmart for drinks and food. We are going next month for 10 nights, 10 days in the parks, 2 meals (one sit down) and a snack each day for 4 of us for under $3000. While not cheap I don't feel like I am being bent over either.

DarinMartell
07-15-2008, 12:36

if you are a resident you can buy the FL resident pass and that comes with parking.

digitalman
07-15-2008, 12:56
I'd like to schedule a trip to dive in Epcot, but feel I should wait until my kids are old enough to appreciate the parks and all Disney has to offer before dropping the $$ and spending all week in the hotel pool because they are boored or ready for a nap.

DarinMartell
07-15-2008, 13:53
I'd like to schedule a trip to dive in Epcot, but feel I should wait until my kids are old enough to appreciate the parks and all Disney has to offer before dropping the $$ and spending all week in the hotel pool because they are boored or ready for a nap.

This Aug will me my 10 yr olds 7th trip and my 4 yr olds 3rd, besides when we are at the hotel taking a break they have NEVER been bored at Disney.

mike_s
07-15-2008, 13:58

We debated on taking our son, who is almost 2 years old.

After being at Disney and Seaworld in July and seeing all these kids all around his age being "worn out", tired, red faced and wet hair from not enough fluids and just not having fun because they missed their nap or tried to take their nap in their stroller in 96f heat, we were glad we didn't take him.

he couldn't ride hardly any of the rides and would have just gotten tired, hot, sleepy and bored in a matter of hours and we would have ended back at the hotel. And in a couple years wouldn't have even remembered going.

so we definately re-enforced the idea to wait till he is at least 5 or 6 before we take him.

The parking fees are just another way to encourage you to stay on property.

Yes... but if you stay on property then they are still getting that from you when you purchase your meals, drinks, etc... so you'll pay it either way in the long run.

$70 a day for tickets is not really being realisitic, yes its that much for one day but your earler example was for 7 days. A seven day pass is in the mid $200's I think.

Depends on how you look at it.

We went to SeaWorld for one day and Disney for one day. They don't have multi-park-rates between the parks. So we had to pay full price no matter what.

so Disney was $71 per day. (per person)
Seaworld was $69 per day (per person)

Still expensive for 2 adults, plus parking, plus cost of items (food, souveniors, etc) in park.

We are going next month for 10 nights, 10 days in the parks, 2 meals (one sit down) and a snack each day for 4 of us for under $3000. While not cheap I don't feel like I am being bent over either.

that doesn't sound that bad for 4 people for 10 days including meals. It's more than they advertise for a family of 4 on to go on TV, but you have to assume that the package they advertise is not 10 days long and also not their top rated resort either. You definately get a better rate for
buying it in bulk

violakat03
07-15-2008, 19:14
We are going next month for 10 nights, 10 days in the parks, 2 meals (one sit down) and a snack each day for 4 of us for under $3000. While not cheap I don't feel like I am being bent over either.that doesn't sound that bad for 4 people for 10 days including meals. It's more than they advertise for a family of 4 on to go on TV, but you have to assume that the package they advertise is not 10 days long and also not their top rated resort either. You definately get a better rate for
buying it in bulk[/quote]

I priced it for myself and my husband, for 10 days (with park hopping)/9 nights in one of the value resorts, without the meal plan was only $1200. That's cheaper than many vacations I've been on. I think the meal plan added a few hundred, but it was still under $2000 and then the only cost you really have to worry about is transportation and souvenirs. Even at a "moderate" resort it was under $2000 for just the hotel and tickets, I think the meal plan pushed it over that though.

To give a comparison ... we're spending 4 days at Cedar Point at the end of this month. 3 nights in the hotel is $341 (only because I found a REALLY cheap hotel - $77/night for a suite), and tickets would be $60/day for both of us, plus $10 a day in parking, unless we rode the shuttle from the hotel and had to work with a limited schedule. We have season passes (since Cedar Point also owns Kings Island, which is only 45 minutes away from me and we go there every couple of weeks, we bought the ones that let us into all Cedar Fair parks as well as free parking) so we don't have to pay for tickets or parking, but if we did and we stayed for 10 days, we'd easily be at or above the price of 10 days at Disney.

scubasamurai
07-15-2008, 19:26
you may want to check other hotels. there are several chain hotels in the area and some are right across the street from downtown disney, than you can catch the bus to anywhere in the park system. also the swan and dolphin hotels, be it on disney properties, are really westin hotel chain. staying on a disney property you pay a premeium for that, but other hotels very close to the park are cheap and provide free shuttle service. but be careful of the nick hotel ( holiday inn) you pay 35 a night for use of the water park and most rooms face the water park and themusic does get turned off till midnight!!

mike_s
07-15-2008, 20:01
but be careful of the nick hotel ( holiday inn) you pay 35 a night for use of the water park and most rooms face the water park and themusic does get turned off till midnight!!

There are several Holiday Inn's right near Disney. (They are actually building one on the Disney property I think also to be open later this year).

There is one right off the interstate on I think Oseola Pkwy (across from Chick-fa-la). It has more of a water park.

THere is another one (Holiday Inn East Gate) a couple blocks over on Bronson. I had a pool, but not so much a water park. (just a nice pool). We stayed in it... and there was a fee, but it was waived for us so I'm not sure what it was...

I think both (and many other hotels in the area) charge "Resort Fees" to use the resort facilities such as the pool.

It's kinda sneaky tatics because they try to get you in there with a lower rate and then add on surcharges.

Just like liveaboards. They charge "Fuel surcharges" and other fees instead of raising their rates so that they initially look more competitive.

As for the Holiday Inn that we stayed in, (East Main Gate Holiday Inn). I'd stay there again. It was very clean, nice pool area. lots of stuff for kids, etc. Internet rates showed up as $81/night also. But I didn't like their shuttle schedule. It wasn't too good if you wanted to visit any of the parks... (in my opinion).

DarinMartell
07-16-2008, 12:10
Young kids: We have never had issues with our kids. Young kids can ride most of the rides and Disney's kid switch allows adults to ride the larger rides without having to wait in line twice when one adult waits with the kid. The reason we have never had issues with them is because we are kind of fanatics, we stay for at least a week (this year ten days) so when they get tiered, we go back to the hotel for a few hours to relax. And since we know we will be back we don't feel like we have see everything and push ourselves.

Tickets: I agree one day tickets are out of hand, they discount so much for multi day tickets I don't see myself ever going to Sea World again. I just cant justify spending an extra $250 instead of the extra $2 a person for an extra day at Disney.

Hotel: Their value resorts are no that much more then the outside rooms. We are getting Pop Century for $78 a night this year.

Food: It all comes down to food. Everything else they do, the cheap extra days, the free shuttle to and from the airport, is all designed to get you to spend more on food. By having a car we can go get our own food to save money. A couple of times we have even rented a car for a day to make a quick trip to the ocean and stop by a store. We have been utilizing the meal program the last couple of times. If you work it right you save money, if not it ends up costing you more.

Disney can be very expensive or it can be reasonable, it all depends on how much effort you want to make in planning. kind of like buying gear. You can walk into a LDS and buy the great package they have for you, or you can do your research online and find the best deal you can.

digitalman
07-16-2008, 12:47

This Aug will me my 10 yr olds 7th trip and my 4 yr olds 3rd, besides when we are at the hotel taking a break they have NEVER been bored at Disney.

We've been to Sea World with the kids when they were 1.5 & 3.5 on days when there were no lines, and they still got cranky. I'll wait until the youngest is at least 4 and can enjoy some of the rides.

mike_s
07-16-2008, 13:09
Tickets: I agree one day tickets are out of hand, they discount so much for multi day tickets I don't see myself ever going to Sea World again. I just cant justify spending an extra $250 instead of the extra $2 a person for an extra day at Disney.

I think it's a shame that Disney and Seaworld can't get together and come up with a joint ticket package.

But... they are seperate companies competing seperately for your "dollar". So I don't see it happening.

One thing I will point out is that my Seaworld ticket is good until the end of the year for a return visit. that's something that Disney doesn't do.

DarinMartell
07-16-2008, 13:28

We've been to Sea World with the kids when they were 1.5 & 3.5 on days when there were no lines, and they still got cranky. I'll wait until the youngest is at least 4 and can enjoy some of the rides.

I guess we have been lucky with our kids. We do make sure we take a few hour break in the middle of the day. That may have helped. D

DarinMartell
07-30-2008, 00:13
I leave for Florida on Friday, can't wait until the 12th and dive quest! Any locals feel like doing it there are openings at the 4:30 dive.

Mtrewyn
07-31-2008, 19:11
Sounds like we are making the same trip except I'm going in Oct.

SquidSquad3
08-04-2008, 19:43
Just did the DiveQuest dive last Wednesday (7/30/08). It's everything that everyone says... awesome, so very little need to write more.

Yes the video is mostly canned footage but, if you have family or friends that are watching make a point to bring the videographer with you while you're visiting friends/ family. I did and she left most of my time with my kids and I in the video. (we kissed each other through the glass)

cgvmer
08-12-2008, 23:15
Just got back from Disney, my 2 sons(19,15), daughter(10) and I did the Epcot dive. This was my daughter's 1st dive since her OW cert dives. I thought everything went well, we all enjoyed waving to the little kids in the restaurant, and viewing area (including my non-diving wife and nephew). The staff, including Will, were great and yes I bought the video. It may be cheesey but the money goes to conservation and it was my daughter's first certified OW dive.

ACoupleDives
08-21-2008, 11:58
Yeah, I'd definitely think that its a little cheesy. But, still something that I'd love to try.

I LOVE Disney and any excuse to go there is great for me! Especially if it involves diving

DarinMartell
08-21-2008, 14:42
My Aug 12th dive was GREAT, everything everyone has talked about. Chris our host could not have done a better job! I made the video a few times, including with my 15 family & freinds so I bought the video.

I will do this again, I was really surprised I was not more scared of the sharks, maybe I figured they where Disney sharks :)

Mtrewyn
08-21-2008, 19:17
Speaking of Will What happened to him?

I'm going in Oct. Anyone else going?

larryjoe
08-28-2008, 11:00

I see you are going in Oct. I was just wondering how far in advance you need to make a reservation. We won't be going until Feb.

Thanks
lj

mike_s
08-28-2008, 14:50
?

Will is on "permanent vacation". THere are some posts up above with some comments or you can email him at his website in his profile. I think it's www.nitrowill.com (http://www.nitrowill.com).

but he's no longer reachable on here....

trigfunctions
08-31-2008, 15:11
If you have AAA there is a 15% discount, if not there is a coupon in the back of one of the Disney planning books you can buy

THANKS for this tip!!

cajunfla
08-31-2008, 20:13
Orlando ! Disney! Seaworld!! Universal ! Islands of Adventure!

I have a time share I am willing to sell if anyone is interested. PM if interested.

So close to Seaworld, you can see the sign.

BuzzF117
08-31-2008, 20:30
Says banned under Will's name any idea what he did to get banned?

Mtrewyn
08-31-2008, 21:13

I see you are going in Oct. I was just wondering how far in advance you need to make a reservation. We won't be going until Feb.

Thanks
lj

I'm not sure how far out to tell you, I would as soon as reasonable, it does fill up fast, but you can call and ask them about several days...but if you need a certain day or time I would call soon.

Mtrewyn
08-31-2008, 21:15
Says banned under Will's name any idea what he did to get banned?

this is what I'm wondering,I don't know him but I cannot see him doing something real bad ?!?? but like I said I don't know him.

Joe_Tucker
09-01-2008, 14:34
I did this dive in February and really enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it is comparable to a real ocean dive in any way but it was cool to see the big logger heads up close and also to get some education on how a tank that big is maintained. My one knock is that it is pretty dark, but if you think about how much light it would take to make it really bright it would be uber expensive and probably would raise the water temp.

mike_s
09-01-2008, 23:49
it could raise the water temp, and also increase algae growth with more light....

I asked the same thing. "why is it so dark?" well they told me it used to be darker.

Once inside the tank though and not in the viewing area it didn't seem as bad.

I actually thought the viewing area was pretty dark and dismal and almost seemed dirty because of the low lighting. That and the "Finding Nemo" ride takes up part of the viewing area that used to be open windows, which makes that area even darker.

Joe_Tucker
09-04-2008, 13:09
Ohh yeah - I totally agree, the viewing area is terribly dark and unimpressive. It was kind cool to mess with people who were eating in the restaurant.

bubble-head
09-04-2008, 14:30
I want to do this next time we're in FL. It seems like a fun and relaxing experience.

trekkindave
09-06-2008, 17:41
Ive always seen the tanks and then one time actually saw a diver in there..

What times do people dive in the tanks? I am going down to Disney in December (probably wont dive at Epcot) and would like to catch the dive from the "dry" side of the tank. If would be easier if i knew what time they went to dive.

jwdizney
09-06-2008, 21:31
Ive always seen the tanks and then one time actually saw a diver in there..

What times do people dive in the tanks? I am going down to Disney in December (probably wont dive at Epcot) and would like to catch the dive from the "dry" side of the tank. If would be easier if i knew what time they went to dive.
There's two dives groups daily. they meet at 4:30 and 5:30. You get a "backstage" tour of the aquarium facilities, watch a film, fill out some waivers then suit up and go dive. i think it's about 45 min. after you meet before you go to the entry. so, about 5:30 and 6:30 would be good ballpark times to see the divers (it's a 40 min. dive). I could be off a little on my times! we've made the dive twice, but I never really pay attention to the time! if you're going to be there, I REALLY recommend doing the dive! it's AWESOME! it was my first blue water dive.. good equipment, well organized and just plain fun!:smiley20:

rednose83
10-13-2009, 03:38
Does anyone know if this is still available? It seems their main site is down but it sounds very cool.

mike_s
10-13-2009, 15:51
Does anyone know if this is still available? It seems their main site is down but it sounds very cool.

yes... but I think the price went up a smidge this year.

just ask them for the PADI, Naui, or AAA discount. see what gives best. but it's easy to get a 10% discount and they don't check anything at booking time.

all you have to have at the dive is your c' card.

ontheheap
06-02-2010, 22:59
I'm calling tomorrow to make reservations for this dive. It's an anniversary present for the wife (and me).

I hope they let you wear your own mask. We have RX lenses so can't dive without our masks.

bassplayer
06-03-2010, 06:45
I'm calling tomorrow to make reservations for this dive. It's an anniversary present for the wife (and me).

I hope they let you wear your own mask. We have RX lenses so can't dive without our masks.

Yes they allow you to wear your mask

Capt. Burrito
06-03-2010, 09:38
I have done this Dive and I think they will let you use your own mask but not positive... all an all it was a fun dive with all the sharks even if it is in a big fish bowl.

jwdizney
06-05-2010, 17:13
we've done it 4 times now, it's a lot of fun! you can use your own mask, and I think if you have a wrist comp, you can use it too. you'll never see that much sea life in a single dive... enjoy! :smiley20:

cgvmer
06-25-2010, 08:21
This was my daughter's first dive after her OW class completed. My 2 sons, daughter and I dove it. As everyone said, this is a all work done for you dive. Very friendly staff, well maintained gear and they had up to 4x wetsuits.

My daughter went in scared of sharks, and the funny part is the sharks are somewhat schizo, they constantly swim in the same figure 8 pattern. Well we were swimming along the bottom and apparently stopped in the sharks standard route, they didn't swerve, they just swam right into us, pushed passed us and left. It took my daughter a couple minutes to calm down, but the rest of the dive was great. I know she had a great time swimming upside in front of some of the young kids looking through the glass.

backtalk
04-12-2011, 11:44
When I did my dive in 2008 I was one of 2 divers. I bypassed most of the tour and hung out with my kids at the glass. Then to my surprise, Mickey swam up. He hung out with me and my kids at the glass for quite a while.

maddhadder
04-30-2011, 08:37
I just did this dive last week. I can echo many of others comments. I thought the tour was really neat before the dive. Going in through the "Cast Members only" entrance made me feel all special. I thought everything was well run, the gear was a perfect fit, and the dive was fun. Interacting with your family under water, who usually only gets to hear about your diving, was really cool. Waving to all the kids and guests was a blast. Watching their faces light up when the "Diver" acknowledges them, was great. My only complaint is the gear setup. The gear fit well, and was in great condition, but they are only setup with a single 2nd stage. Once the underwater "tour" was done we could go wherever we wanted, basically soloing. We weren't buddied up and there were plenty of places where you could be out of sight of the DM or any other divers. I just would have been more comfortable with a second 2nd. All in all a great dive, and going face to face (about 3' eye to eye) with a shark was amazing! Ok, they're "tame" but still an animal, I'll admit, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up for a second there.

tacofranklin
04-30-2011, 13:51
I did this last year, would love to do it again :D Just remember not to touch the turtles...and if you wave at them, they come to you. :D I forget how much the DVD was, but you can buy a video of your dive at the end.
The sealife was awesome! First (and only) time I have dove in anything other than a quarry or lake :D. Sharks, all kinds of stuff. I liked waving at the children and families on the other side of the glass and at the bottom windows where the resturaunt was....lol I was asking one person for a bite of their sammy :D
Every year my family goes on a trip to disney, i could not go this year...but it is on the agenda every time I go....also, if you are military you get a discount.

ashcoal
07-07-2011, 16:24
I did the dive about a week ago. It was really cool and really worth while, especially if you don't have a ton of great dives under your belt. I even found a shark tooth!

If you have a Disney Visa, the cost is 20% off. PADI and NAUI will get you 10% off. I had the Disney Visa, so the whole thing was just under $150 with tax. The normal cost is $175 plus tax.

I did the 4:40 pm dive and they just let us go into the park after the dive. I had park admission, but I suppose you could get a free couple of hours in the park afterwards. I imagine most people have their families there to see them dive through the glass. They provide a videographer who will shoot some video of you with your family through the window. Cost of the video is $35.