PDA

View Full Version : Cruising with a pony

84turboz
02-25-2008, 17:18
I see lots of info on TSA rules for flying with pony bottles, but not about cruising with a pony. Do the same rules apply? Am I going to have to disassemble & refill each time I get on and off boat? Interested in the rules only and not the pony debate thing. I know last time they did take my dive knife when reboarding.

CompuDude
02-25-2008, 17:33
I see lots of info on TSA rules for flying with pony bottles, but not about cruising with a pony. Do the same rules apply? Am I going to have to disassemble & refill each time I get on and off boat? Interested in the rules only and not the pony debate thing. I know last time they did take my dive knife when reboarding.

I don't think cruises are subjected to the same level of scrutiny.

Airlines freak over pressurized containers, since they fly at a high altitude. A blowout would be BAD. So, of course, they over-react. :smiley29:

Hollywood703
02-25-2008, 18:59
I would check with the Cruise company....They will be able to tell you straight away since im sure its a regular question. Personally, I just rent one from the dive shop/company doing the site.

cummings66
02-25-2008, 19:10
When in doubt ask the company selling the services, they have the right to set whatever rules they want and sometimes it varies.

St.jimmy
02-25-2008, 19:38
Also check wif the boat itself.i/e carnival ays you can lock knives and bottle in the security office, but you cant on the holiday.

84turboz
02-26-2008, 05:51
Thanks, I'll contact Carnival as to their regulations.

mike_s
02-26-2008, 08:40
I don't think cruises are subjected to the same level of scrutiny.

Airlines freak over pressurized containers, since they fly at a high altitude. A blowout would be BAD. So, of course, they over-react. :smiley29:

They might not have the same level of scrutiny from a presurized vessel in a flying aircraft and TSA rules, but they make up their own rules which are rarely published.

When you get back on a cruise boat they xray everything. I doubt they'd enjoy seeing a pony bottle in a bag.

Also, for the small amount of time that cruises are in port, It'd be tight on time for the Op to get it re-filled, etc. (if he has to empty it).

will he have to empty it? I dunno. The cruise line might consider it hazmat if it has more that 40psi in it (which is what DOT considers for US postal service shipment). Of course you've got all the these old folks on the boat with O2 bottles in wheelchairs. They don't kick them off.

I personally think taking your dive knife is a joke.

sometimes just eaiser to rent than to hassle with it.

Hollywood703
03-02-2008, 13:36
well if he is flying, the valve will have to be removed anyway....