PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Quarries: Sealed Regulator?

drifter136
02-25-2008, 19:49
Those of you that dive the Ohio Quarries or surrounding states with similar water temps, do you use a sealed regulator? Do you feel they are necessary? I still have not had a chance to dive any of the quarries since getting certified, so I don't know what to expect with regard to temps. I am expecting my dive season to be from mid spring to mid fall when the air temps are above 60*. I will be diving wet and don't want to deal with air temps any colder for the SI. Drysuit diving might be possible several years down the road.

According to Gilboa's site, there are depths that are in the 40's year round. Does this chart seem pretty accurate? Gilboa Quarry Temperature Conditions (http://www.divegilboa.com/conditions.shtm)

The main quarry I will be diving is Circleville, with the other quarries and Summersville Lake (in WV) being occasional visits.

Thanks for any input you can give!

DarinMartell
02-25-2008, 19:54
I was certified in a quarry in IL. in mid May the surface was low 70's, at 40' it was low 50's. I went out to Lake MI in Aug and it was 41 degrees at 75'. I just bought a Mares MR12 and choose it because it was a diaphram reg and a-lot of people on this board advised me that at those temps it would be good. I'm a newb so take the advice for what it's worth.

Lineman Larry
02-25-2008, 20:36
In answer to your direct questions: Yes I use a sealed regulator and Yes I feel it is necessary.

The un-asked question: Which is better for cold water diving, a piston or diaphram?

You will get 100 answers on both sides of the fence. Personally, I dive a diaphram reg because I do dive in cold water.

This advice is worth exactly .02 cents and that is refundable.

drifter136
02-25-2008, 20:47
Is the Mares MR12 sealed or do you have to step up to the MR22 to get sealed (or is that one even sealed)? I do like the looks of the Abyss reg. I'm also looking at the Zeagle DS-V or one of the Oceanic regs with DVT. I was hoping the RS-130 would be good, but if it is not advisable to get a non-sealed reg for Ohio diving, it looks like that one is out. :smiley19: The $179 is so desirable, but it looks like it'll be $300+.

terrillja
02-26-2008, 16:16
Is the Mares MR12 sealed or do you have to step up to the MR22 to get sealed (or is that one even sealed)? I do like the looks of the Abyss reg. I'm also looking at the Zeagle DS-V or one of the Oceanic regs with DVT. I was hoping the RS-130 would be good, but if it is not advisable to get a non-sealed reg for Ohio diving, it looks like that one is out. :smiley19: The $179 is so desirable, but it looks like it'll be $300+.

When I get gear, any gear, I always think about if this is something I can grow with and do other things with. I could have gotten a less expensive reg than the oceanic GT3, but now I have a reg I can use for ice diving or early season diving, where a less expensive non-sealed piston reg would be out.

My dad and I have 4 Oceanic GT3s between us, and we love them, they have always worked well for us in cold NH.

schu1842
02-27-2008, 19:39
Circleville is pretty shallow and is usually pretty warm. I doubt you would need a sealed unit there. Portage and Gilboa can get pretty cold. My buddy had a freeflow at the tubes in Gilboa several years ago. Two of us were with with him and we slowly ascended about 20 feet with him and then the reg worked fine. We finished the dive without further incident. I can't say for sure that the temperature caused it (water at the tubes was in the 50's I think) but I sure feel more secure with my good old Apeks TX50. Whitestar is usually warmer than Gilboa or Portage. I guess my thought is its worth the peace of mind to go ahead and get a sealed unit.

cummings66
02-27-2008, 22:41
Sealed regs isn't all about cold, it's also about SILT and other crud. Most quarries are dirty and believe it or not that stuff is not the best stuff to find in your regulator, and as a newer diver I'm sure you'll find silt one way or another. We all do in the beginning. People think salt water is the only enemy of regulator, but you'll find plenty of sand and grit in fresh water that will eat away at the innards if you let it. It grinds things away like sandpaper. No matter where you dive, rinse the regulator out like it was salt water.

I use a sealed regulator, diaphragm as well. The only way to fly IMO of course.

drifter136
02-28-2008, 01:03
Based on what all you guys have said, I think I'll be looking at one of the Oceanic regs with DVT or one of the sealed Zeagles. If I decide to get everything at once, I might go with one of the Brigade packages. Both the Zeagle Brigade package and the Zeagle/Oceanic Brigade package seam to be great deals. The tough thing is that a 1000 bucks all at once is a little rough, so I might not be able to take advantage of either package.

Kingpatzer
02-28-2008, 06:42
I dive a sealed diaphragm. With ice diving, deep dives in quarries and Superior, I've yet to have a free flow. I've seen a lot of free flows from others though, and probably 70% of those are not sealed.

The remaining 30% usually involve someone doing something goofy like purging a wet reg in the cold air between ice dives.

Ohio_diver16
03-06-2008, 10:53
Being on the Ohio WV border I've always dove with a sealed reg. My LDS uses nothing but Sherwood Blizzards and Titans for rentals and classes. I picked up an Aqua Ling Supreme for my dives. So to be on the safe side, I'd go environmentally sealed. Just my pennys worth.