PDA

View Full Version : Table Rock Lake on 3/1

cummings66
02-25-2008, 22:02
Greg and myself are going down to dive Dewey Short on 3/1 or next Saturday. I need to get some quality deep dives in and so we're headed that way. We'll of course be down a couple weeks after that as well.

The plan as it stands right now is we're going to leave here really early and get there around 11 AM to do some dives. The plan is 4 dives, ~100 - 110 foot depth on each one, nothing long or pushing the NDL though.

If anybody wants to join in and doesn't mind the depths or cold you're welcome to tag along with us.

texdiveguy
02-25-2008, 22:23
The plan is 4 dives, ~100 - 110 foot depth on each one, nothing long or pushing the NDL though.

Heck I have barely even got my ears cleared at those depths!

Be safe and enjoy..... :)

Brandon Belew
02-25-2008, 22:25
I might be down - get paid thursday night have to check and see how much i'll have after paying bills.

cummings66
02-26-2008, 07:12
Are you going to try and do both dives in March at Table Rock? More diving is always fun. I'm wanting to dive because I couldn't get down the hill to the quarry this weekend. We had 2 inches of snow on top of 1/2 inch of ice there and I neglected to bring the Jeep Cherokee, a van just can't cut that. Not sure the other would have made it up either, maybe on the side if it could break through the ice to the ground perhaps.

So, I need to dive this coming weekend and have other needs to boot so I'm hitting Table Rock twice in March. Hey Tex, I hear you about the ear clearing. I actually do have trouble shallow, the mucus tends to flow freely and it will cause me troubles if I'm too shallow and go up and down, ie when I dive with some of the newly minted divers out of OW they sometimes need to work out the buoyancy and it's fun following them.

Brandon Belew
02-26-2008, 08:30
I plan on diving as much as possible this year - money permitting.

skdvr
02-26-2008, 08:51
Man I wish I could join you guys this weekend. I too want to get more deep dives in this year so I can push forward with Deep Tech, but I will be in San Antonio this weekend. Well I guess I will be on my way to San Antonio.

You guys have fun and be safe....

Phil

texdiveguy
02-26-2008, 09:29
Hey Tex, I hear you about the ear clearing. I actually do have trouble shallow

I have 'trouble' clearing ALL the time---just hate it. I believe my E-tubes are thin as a single hair and scared from ear infections as a kid.

mm2002
02-26-2008, 12:53
Greg and myself are going down to dive Dewey Short on 3/1 or next Saturday. I need to get some quality deep dives in and so we're headed that way. We'll of course be down a couple weeks after that as well.

The plan as it stands right now is we're going to leave here really early and get there around 11 AM to do some dives. The plan is 4 dives, ~100 - 110 foot depth on each one, nothing long or pushing the NDL though.

If anybody wants to join in and doesn't mind the depths or cold you're welcome to tag along with us.

Oh man, don't come down this weekend! This is the weekend they drain the lake for cleaning!

cummings66
02-26-2008, 15:21
Maybe I could log a few sites that I haven't found yet. I know a couple areas I'd love to see bare...

Did you know there's a rumor of a cave there with a tractor in it? I heard an old timer recounting the story, but he didn't know exactly where.

mm2002
02-26-2008, 20:01
Yep, I know the tractor you're talking about. This weekend we could put a little gas in it and see if we could get it fired up. I'll bring a can of WD40 and some starting fluid.

DivingCRNA
02-28-2008, 17:33
OK, I have got to see that tractor. Where is it? I also want to dive the lost bridge and the sunken town....

cummings66
02-28-2008, 18:31
The guy that told me about the tractor was one of the construction workers who actually built the lake. I was talking to him about Oasis and whether it really existed or not. He wasn't sure because he worked down south a bit farther but he said in his area they flattened every thing standing, buildings that is. The tree's depended on their height and if it would interfere with navigation.

He couldn't recall where it was exactly, only that the farmer kept it in a small cave near the southern edge of the lake. He was fairly certain there was no way he could have got it out, but couldn't verify it was there when the water overtook it.

I can't prove he told the truth, but enough of what he said seemed to be truthful to me. He was probably around 70 years old, give or take. Old enough to be gray and stooped, curious enough that he sometimes drops by to visit with divers. I don't think he's a diver though. I talk to anybody, sometimes you hear nice stories. People are interesting when they recount the past, I love history like that, it's more real coming from somebody who was there.

cummings66
02-28-2008, 18:41
I plan to be there around 10 if I can so I can dive at 11. If anybody else is coming I will be in a White 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee parked somewhere near the Dewey Short steps. I'll be in the Black Viking Drysuit, Greg will be in the Red Viking Drysuit.

PM me with your cell number or let me know you're going to be there and I'll wait for you. Otherwise I hope to see you on the next set of dives planned here, or at Norfork in April. I hear the vis is really good right now.

skdvr
02-28-2008, 19:18
You will have to let us know how the diving goes this weekend. So I know what to expect for the 15th...

Phil

cummings66
02-28-2008, 21:37
I will for certain let you know.

Lineman Larry
02-29-2008, 14:01
Matt....

Going to be the warmest weekend of the year up to now and I am homebound.

You guys take it easy and we will expect a full report.

cummings66
02-29-2008, 21:58
Sick? A lot of people I know have got the flu, I've been pretty worried I would come down with it as well. I've been pretty anal about washing my hands and not touching my face at all with them. If I touched a door knob I wash my hands, if I touch anything I'll wash my hands. I'm really trying hard not to come down with the flu when everybody around me has it. So far so good.

cummings66
03-02-2008, 08:13
Well, I got back from the dive about 1 AM and my daughter just woke me up, so here's what I can recall in my semi sleep deprived state. I'll download the dives in a bit so the memory might be a bit off on temps but as near as I can recall it was around 39 degree's below 100 feet. The visibility was rather poor, I'd say it was about 5 feet below 70 feet. It started at about 10 feet from the surface down to 20 feet, then declined as you got deeper. You could see lots of floating algae or large silt in the water, especially as you got deeper.

The funny thing is the night dive was much better, we had about 10 feet down deep and maybe 15 feet near the surface. I kind of thought that would get worse as it got dark but it was the opposite.

I only managed to get in 3 dives, but they were fun and I enjoyed them.

Lineman Larry
03-02-2008, 09:40
Don't you love those "night" dives in the middle of the day?

Not sick (thankfully), just working off my home project list. Get it done now and is leaves time for more diving in the warm summer.

mm2002
03-02-2008, 09:59
Glad the dives went well! I kinda wondered about the vis, sorry it wasn't better. I'd imagine a combination of warmer than normal air temps, and a lot of wind caused that.

cummings66
03-02-2008, 11:54
There was quite a bit wind bouncing the water to and fro, but down deep I wouldn't think it would affect it. However, it did. What I didn't get is how did it improve at night? We started the dive with poor vis, so poor in fact I flooded my mask and cleared it thinking it was foggy, no difference though.

Then shortly after that as we started coming up it got better.

mm2002
03-02-2008, 12:07
Even with the chop, you wouldn't think the deep vis would be affected. It's always murky down to 30 ft or so when it's windy and lots of boat traffic, but right now I don't know. I'm thinking that with the extreme changes in temps we've had lately, maybe the water is "tuning over" a bit? The wind usually dies in the evening, so that probably explains a little better vis at night.
Also, I noticed that the water level is up right now because of all the rain, so there's been a lot of crap washing in.

Brandon Belew
03-02-2008, 12:14
Last time I went it was crap down to like 40-50 feet -- then it cleared up to like a 20+ ft vis

cummings66
03-02-2008, 19:25
The water was pretty high, the tree was pretty deep in the water. I can recall setting next to it on dry ground many times in the past. It was probably 2 or 3 feet deep at that point.

At any rate, I still accomplished some of my goals, 3 out of 4 dives isn't too bad.

mm2002
03-02-2008, 19:44
Hey, accomplishing goals is good! I'm very envious, I need the drysuit deal!
Where did you put in at, below the wood steps? There's usually lots of room on the bank down there, but right now I'd say the water is up at least 2 to 3 feet.