PDA

View Full Version : Taking the scissors to the wetsuit???

moodymermaid
02-26-2008, 17:33
I just got my new wetsuit and I love it, but the neck is really tight - very uncomfortable (more than any other suit I've ever had). The rest of the suit is super comfy.

I'm thinking about trimming the neck myself with a good, sturdy pair of scissors.

The neck section is about 2 " wide and a separate panel from most of the rest of the suit.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this (well, I'm sure someone has...) and how the neoprene holds up - does it fray, tear, etc?

It might also matter that it's a stretchy neoprene.

Actually, the arms are a little long too...
Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks!

MM

Bigg_Budd
02-26-2008, 19:32
Not sure about the neck, but cut the arms down. The leftovers make great koozies. :)

SkuaSeptember
02-27-2008, 17:17
Before resorting to trimming, you might want to try stretching it out over a tank or 3lt soda bottle overnight. Trimming might work if the edge is unfinished. Have you tried the mfg website for info?

MicahEW
02-28-2008, 09:54
Not sure about the neck, but cut the arms down. The leftovers make great koozies. :)

LOL Nice! I gotta try it.

Mtrewyn
02-28-2008, 10:26
Did you replace the "seals" in the cuff? The leggs are a little long in mine but it has O-ring seals in the cuff.

moodymermaid
03-04-2008, 15:33
Thanks, Skuaseptember - I think I'll see if there's a way to try the 3-liter bottle trick -
I'm not sure if it'll work: the suit actually HAS an adjustable neck (velcro), but it really bothers me anyway. It's tight, but also perhaps a bit high.

Good idea, but I didn't see anything useful on the Mares website. Maybe I'll check again.

MM

rfb3
03-04-2008, 15:58
Before resorting to trimming, you might want to try stretching it out over a tank or 3lt soda bottle overnight. Trimming might work if the edge is unfinished. Have you tried the mfg website for info?

I'd try this idea first... I cut the hood off of a vest, and its held up well. But, it was only $60...