PDA

View Full Version : Speech

easyrider003
02-27-2008, 18:43
I am hoping to take a Fire Instructor class for my job sometime in the near future. We are required to do 3 speeches, the last one being on anything you want to talk about. I was thinking of either doing it on SCUBA diving or motorcycles. I would like to do it on SCUBA diving but not sure if I could come up with at least 15 minutes worth of info. Has anyone ever gave a speech on diving before. I am OW certified so not really sure what I could include in my speech. Any suggestions?

Osprey
02-27-2008, 19:58
You could talk about different jobs in relation to scuba? Like rescue, salvaging, etc.

Just my .02, I really have no idea otherwise hehe

fisheater
02-27-2008, 20:00
If your audience is non-diver firefighters, how about a discussion about the similarities and differences between SCUBA and SCBA? Hint: Using lots of props helps increase the audience's interest, your ease and makes the time fly.

Clanggedin
02-27-2008, 20:47
I'm with Fisheater. I'd focus on the SCUBA and SCBA and their similarities if they are non-divers.

easyrider003
02-27-2008, 21:15
I havent thought of using the similarities of the two as part of the speech. I guess I could do a little research into the rescue diving stuff. I really won't know who is in the class until the first day. But doubt there are any others that dive. Thanks for the help. Not sure when the class will be just whenever the training officer finds one being offered. I guess I could go ahead and start working on it now and not wait until the last minute. Probably a stupid question, and one that I should know, but why are SCUBA bottles mounted upright as opposed to SCBA bottles? I do know why our are upside down though

cummings66
02-27-2008, 22:01
We don't face the same issues in regards to danger so the additional protection is not warranted, however, Viking did have a setup that was mounted just like firefighters. I can't think of what they call it right off, but I do have a keychain of a Viking diver wearing it, and I think the old Viking drysuit manuals showed them, I can't find mine right now. They were small double cylinders upside down in a pack.

I'm not sure it was ever imported here though.

dallasdivergirl
02-27-2008, 22:10
any info of how scuba was started might be good for some history of diving.

rye_a
02-27-2008, 22:41
If your audience is non-diver firefighters, how about a discussion about the similarities and differences between SCUBA and SCBA? Hint: Using lots of props helps increase the audience's interest, your ease and makes the time fly.

You could even go into the difficulties of navigation in low viz (in smoke and murky water), etc.

SkuaSeptember
02-28-2008, 07:22
You could alsotouch on the topic of scuba and public safety diving ie equipment needs, precautions,exposure protection, hazmat diving etc. DUI would probably be able to get you some good info on this. once you get going, the problem will be cutting it down to 15 min.

bmp51
02-28-2008, 09:15
You could also interview (via phone or something) any Lake or Ocean rescue force commander as most of them (thinking of National Park service) double as FFs \ Rescue Divers\ EMS… they tend to be underfunded and have to wear many hats they can maybe offer some help…

mitchy
02-28-2008, 11:43
"I really, really, really, really really, really, really, really, really really,really, really, really, really really,really, really, really, really really,really, really, really, really really,really, really, really, really really,really, really, really, really really,really, really, really, really really,like to scuba dive.
It is really, really, really, really really, really, really, really, really really, really, really, really, really really, really, really, really, really really, really, really, really, really really, really, really, really, really really, fun..."

MicahEW
02-28-2008, 12:16
I am hoping to take a Fire Instructor class for my job sometime in the near future. We are required to do 3 speeches, the last one being on anything you want to talk about. I was thinking of either doing it on SCUBA diving or motorcycles. I would like to do it on SCUBA diving but not sure if I could come up with at least 15 minutes worth of info. Has anyone ever gave a speech on diving before. I am OW certified so not really sure what I could include in my speech. Any suggestions?

could always go into the risks Ox tox, nitro carc, DCS, AGE.

CaptainRon
02-28-2008, 12:38
I havent thought of using the similarities of the two as part of the speech. I guess I could do a little research into the rescue diving stuff. I really won't know who is in the class until the first day. But doubt there are any others that dive. Thanks for the help. Not sure when the class will be just whenever the training officer finds one being offered. I guess I could go ahead and start working on it now and not wait until the last minute. Probably a stupid question, and one that I should know, but why are SCUBA bottles mounted upright as opposed to SCBA bottles? I do know why our are upside down though

It has always been my thought that SCUBA equipment tends be heavier and bulkier. As such, the gear is sitting on the ground a lot more such as when we are sitting with our gear on, suiting up, etc. It seems having the valve on top is more practical for SCUBA whereas when using SCBA equipment we have the danger of stuff falling from overhead and putting the valve area in danger. Putting the valve down seems to be the safest with SCBA. Also it allows the routing of hoses close to the body to prevent entanglement hazards.

MSilvia
02-28-2008, 12:39
I'd be suprised if you could give a talk about scuba that you thought was a thorough exploration of ANY topic in less than 15 minutes.

torrey
02-28-2008, 13:28
Can you use props? Bring in your gear, pictures, video, charts. You could start out with the history, navy divers, Cousteau, the evolution of the gear, how a regulator works, how a rebreather works, the effects of pressure on air spaces, equilization, dangers, narcosis, decompression sickness, compression chambers...and then show them pictures or video of what's to see down there...why you go through all of that.

rfb3
02-28-2008, 13:34
If you could locate a copy of PADI's Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, you could use it as a guide to some of the more technical aspects of diving... Might be a good way to prepare you for your DM cert. :)

MSilvia
02-28-2008, 13:54
Can you use props? Bring in your gear, pictures, video, charts. You could start out with the history, navy divers, Cousteau, the evolution of the gear, how a regulator works, how a rebreather works, the effects of pressure on air spaces, equilization, dangers, narcosis, decompression sickness, compression chambers...and then show them pictures or video of what's to see down there...why you go through all of that.
How on earth would a person do all of that in 15 minutes?

easyrider003
02-28-2008, 13:59
I was told that you can use props. I have no idea when this class will be offered again. Just thought I would get a head start on the speeches. Sounds like I have plenty to talk about. Thanks everyone. Now its just a matter of putting everything into a speech

rfb3
02-28-2008, 14:03

Talk fast! :smiley20:

torrey
02-28-2008, 15:20

Just an idea of the various topics you could talk about. However, from what I remember about the speech classes I took back in college, 15 minutes is a loooooong time. You'd probably be surprised how much of that you could pack in without rushing it.