PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn belly fat

nrobinson
02-27-2008, 19:12
Okay so even though I played soccer in college I have never ever in my life been able to get ride of probably 3-4 lbs of belly fat. I have had it for as long as I can remember even though I can run numerous miles a day. I honestly think its my ab workout that is missing something. Can someone give me advice on this. Yes it pertains to Scuba too because it...well... it just does.

WaScubaDude
02-27-2008, 23:58
Simple: burning calories..... Burn more cals than you take in = loose fat.
Start with a couple days of eating 1/2 of what you do regularly. (this shrinks your stomache a bit) Drink at least 1 liter of water per day, filling up with veggies before eating other foods, no sugar crap foods, no soda and more excercise. If you keep at it you will loose your tummy. I did. Have fun while treating yourself well!

I was raised around a fat family. Many excuses...I am big boned, my matabolism is just different, I have thyroid issues. But if you think about it there are no fat prisioners in a POW camp. You can loose weight, even your belly, just go slow and steady burning a few more cals each day than you are ingesting.

divingyogini
02-28-2008, 11:03
This is an interesting report just released:

MedlinePlus: Whole grains may curb belly fat, inflammation (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_61349.html)

rfb3
02-28-2008, 11:10
I have the same prolem, so I've started lifting more upper body. I am thinking if the top is larger, it'll make the bottom appear smaller. :)

jeepbrew
02-28-2008, 12:31

MedlinePlus: Whole grains may curb belly fat, inflammation (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_61349.html)

Interesting.

I prefer to just eat whatever I want and make sure I exercise enough to burn off the calories. Eliminating soft drinks from my diet helped greatly. Now if I could only eliminate beer...:smiley5:

rfb3
02-28-2008, 13:15

Interesting.

I prefer to just eat whatever I want and make sure I exercise enough to burn off the calories. Eliminating soft drinks from my diet helped greatly. Now if I could only eliminate beer...:smiley5:

Beer is my issue as well. Especially when the weather gets warm. For now I am trying the vodka drinks. They say vodka is the one with least calories... I've lost ~20 lbs, since Chrsitmas by excercise and pushing away from the table sooner. :smiley32:

hungry4adventure
02-28-2008, 19:22
The thing that helped me was spending a couple days keeping track of how many calories I was eating. It was very eye-opening.

I think people say something like 3000 calories per pound of fat. Running or walking burns about 150 per mile (depending mostly on your weight). When I started looking at what I was eating I realized why running alone wasn't going to solve my problem.

rye_a
02-28-2008, 23:34
Core exercises. A good one is to lie on your back and raise your feet off the floor, raise your head and shoulders off the floor, hols a medicine ball or other 6-10 pound weigh in front of you and rotate the weight from side to side. Fluter kicks will also work well.

Clanggedin
02-29-2008, 11:41
I've been doing flutter kicks, crunches, and leg lifts and it appears that either ny beely is shrinking or my 6 pack is getting firmer or both. You can see 4 of the 6, but I still have a slight layer of fat that I am still working off.

divingyogini
02-29-2008, 15:25
One more thing I would add - read your labels and get rid of high fructose corn syrup (which is in everything premade - bread, spaghetti sauce, even pickles).

Sugar coated / We're drowning in high fructose corn syrup. Do the risks go beyond our waistline? (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2004/02/18/FDGS24VKMH1.DTL)

The Seattle Times: Health: High-fructose corn syrup fueling obesity epidemic, doctors say (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2002658491_healthsyrup04.html)

scubachristo
02-29-2008, 17:35
weightwatchers is proving to be great for me, 10 pounds lost in the first 4 weeks
Chris

nrobinson
03-01-2008, 09:35
Core exercises. A good one is to lie on your back and raise your feet off the floor, raise your head and shoulders off the floor, hols a medicine ball or other 6-10 pound weigh in front of you and rotate the weight from side to side. Fluter kicks will also work well.

Okay here's the sales plug for joe and larry forget the medicine ball we just need to grab our weight belt that we got from scubatoys and the sea pearls lead weight that goes with them and use that.

Charles R
03-01-2008, 11:17
They say in order for you to see your ab mussels completely you must be below 10% body fat. this is not a easy task not impossible either I am currently down from 28% in Jan of 2007 6 month after quiting smoking to 18% I avoid scales cause they lie due to muscle weighting more than Fat I was getting discourage when all of a sudden I stopped losing weight and started gaining but I was still getting leaner. Best method for me was to measure myself every 2 weeks to see the results of my hard work.

Kingpatzer
03-01-2008, 11:45
You can not spot reduce for fat. You can spot build muscle, but the fat will be there.

Drop your caloric intake, do HIIT cardio to burn calories and lifting to maintain muscles.

You will lose fat.

strfish7
03-04-2008, 07:57
You can not spot reduce for fat. You can spot build muscle, but the fat will be there.

Drop your caloric intake, do HIIT cardio to burn calories and lifting to maintain muscles.

You will lose fat.

What he said...:smiley20:

FWIW, what worked for me was stopping eating out at lunch...the dining options were just too poor. Now I take fruit and vegetables, some whole wheat bread and maybe a power bar or something for lunch. That 8 lbs that came off, came off right at my stomach.

padi1029
03-09-2008, 18:15
I think Peyton Manning said it best,

"Trying to get rock-hard abs? Let's face it, unless you are a professional athlete, it's probably not going to happen...my advise to you...buy some bigger shirts"

Cut calories, increase activity duration/intensity and eat more whole grain foods...but be careful, over exercising can create counter productive results.

jeepbrew
03-09-2008, 22:18
FWIW, what worked for me was stopping eating out at lunch...the dining options were just too poor. Now I take fruit and vegetables, some whole wheat bread and maybe a power bar or something for lunch. That 8 lbs that came off, came off right at my stomach.

Wish I could do that. My problem is that my office building has about 8 great restraunts on the ground floor. I can't seem to resist!!

mark44883
03-09-2008, 22:28
lay off the beer

firstdive2005
03-10-2008, 06:25
Hi- I hate ligit excersizing, so I put a ladder to my roof. I climb up an down it several times, ten usually, as a warm up to my mountain bike rides. I dont climb up mountains, I hit trails that give me a major workout cardio-wise. It all started when I took my kids for a trail-ride and camping expidition to old railway lines in British Columbia. They removed the tracks, perfect for mountain bikes. I was blown away at my physical shape when I got home. We where gone for a week I lost all the body fat that I had gained in my forties, about twenty-five pounds, all of a sudden there where the abs I had not seen for so many years. Then I got married again, or sure blame it on the food......lol. Seriously I highly recommend this type of working off the gut, it still is easier than working out for me. I feel stronger also, helps with all the gear. kev

DiverJoe
03-10-2008, 13:03
try rowing. if you can't be out on the water hit a gym rowing machine. 28 strokes a minutes for 30 minutes will help love handle areas, gut and lower back. drink more water or ab workouts will strain your kidney region a bit too much at first.

good luck!

DZorn00
03-11-2008, 06:35
I cut out sodas all together and that alone helped me lose 3lbs in the past two weeks. Now to just cut back the portions and I should be able to cut more. I haven't changed anything else. Still sitting behind a keyboard and monitor all day. I know i will have to add more but that will come later.......

divergirl
03-14-2008, 00:37
Make your own food.. you know what goes in it and you know exactly how many calories you're ingesting. Get a good cardio routine going but don't forget to have a weight routine as well (cardio is just going to burn calories, if you do weights you're increasing your muscle mass which helps to burn calories)

I go for a 6.6 km run several times a week + workout on the weight machine for 3 times a week.

I try to do this core routine as often as possible as well

20 x knee ups
20 x leg raises
20 x cycles

rest

20 x reverse crunch
20 x leg on couch crunches
20 x hip thrusts

rest

20 x cross crunch (obliques)
20 x reach and touch (more obliques)
20 x cross leg reverse crunch

amazing core workout and I've noticed a big difference doing it

TxScubaBear
03-14-2008, 07:11
My knees won't take running, but I do walk, have been on WeightWatchers since last Nov, I'm 36lbs lighter and have a few more to go until I can go spend some $$ at ST and get my Henderson Hyperstretch!

bkp
03-30-2008, 15:37
Simple: burning calories..... Burn more cals than you take in = loose fat.
Start with a couple days of eating 1/2 of what you do regularly. (this shrinks your stomache a bit) Drink at least 1 liter of water per day, filling up with veggies before eating other foods, no sugar crap foods, no soda and more excercise. If you keep at it you will loose your tummy. I did. Have fun while treating yourself well!

I was raised around a fat family. Many excuses...I am big boned, my matabolism is just different, I have thyroid issues. But if you think about it there are no fat prisioners in a POW camp. You can loose weight, even your belly, just go slow and steady burning a few more cals each day than you are ingesting.
Absolutely correct!

You can build a perfectly sculpted 6-pack and never see it, if you're not burning off the layer of fat sitting on top of it... That means nothing more than lowering your BMI -- basic stuff: diet, and exercise (cardio *and* resistance). The cardio is just that - good for your heart and vascular system... the resistance replaces fat with muscle tissue, which increases your metabolism, which ultimately burns more calories even when you're *not* exercising.

No gimmicks, secrets, or bs devices... just the basics...

Good luck -- and dive safely...

HolgMaster
03-31-2008, 12:47
plastic surgery is your friend...

JasonUWPhoto
04-04-2008, 07:49
It's all about exercise. I've taken off almost 40lbs in the last year. It's been slow and steady and all due to walking/running between 4-6 miles (sometimes a bit longer) almost every day.

Really doesn't matter much if you run or walk (no excuses for knees/ankles/shins), as long as you burn the calories. I like to eat as most of us do. Want to overeat, then overexercise! Pretty simple.

mm_dm
04-04-2008, 10:03
It's all about exercise. I've taken off almost 40lbs in the last year. It's been slow and steady and all due to walking/running between 4-6 miles (sometimes a bit longer) almost every day.

Really doesn't matter much if you run or walk (no excuses for knees/ankles/shins), as long as you burn the calories. I like to eat as most of us do. Want to overeat, then overexercise! Pretty simple.

I agree. My best weight control came when I was swimming a thousand meters twice a week on top of my usual regime. The combination of the exercise with the cold pool water really did the trick burning up the calories.

JasonUWPhoto
04-04-2008, 10:17
You're right, swimming is great and I'll start that too in the summer. Really doesn't matter what type of exercise you do as long as you're doing some cardio and some weight resistance.

So do what you like - walk, run, hike, bike, swim, use stairs instead of elevators, park at the back of every parking lot and walk the extra distance, use an elliptical, row, canoe, jump rope...

It really doesn't matter, just get up from in front of the TV and get some exercise.

brianwferguson
04-08-2008, 11:50
Diet and Exercise is the ONLY way. Since I started a fitness program at my gym, I've lost 8% body fat and gained 20 pounds. I'm in much better shape now (strength and endurance wise) than I've been in years.

I use a website called fitday.com to track my daily food consumption. It really works (as long as you don't cheat) You can eat anything you want as long as you are willing to record it. That makes you accountable for what you eat. You will be surprised how many calories you eat in a day.

PvtStash
04-09-2008, 01:22
One year ago today I started trying to lose weight to get in shape for diving...

I've lost 116 lbs. , 28% of my body weight

Low fat/No fat during the week, lotsa water, tuna-fish, dried beans, fruits, nuts and vegetables coupled with exercise 6 days/week.

On the weekends however I eat Whatever I want... Anything... Taco Bell, pizza, wings, ice cream, chocolate... Anything. I think it serves 2 purposes... 1 - keeps me from cheating during the week as I know I can eat anything I want on the weekends 2 - increased caloric intake on weekends "shakes up" my system, keeps me from going into a weight-holding "starvation mode"

Pretty happy with the results so far.... , 'bout another 50 lbs. to go...

Luck.

Foo2
04-09-2008, 12:57
One year ago today I started trying to lose weight to get in shape for diving...

I've lost 116 lbs. , 28% of my body weight

Low fat/No fat during the week, lotsa water, tuna-fish, dried beans, fruits, nuts and vegetables coupled with exercise 6 days/week.

On the weekends however I eat Whatever I want... Anything... Taco Bell, pizza, wings, ice cream, chocolate... Anything. I think it serves 2 purposes... 1 - keeps me from cheating during the week as I know I can eat anything I want on the weekends 2 - increased caloric intake on weekends "shakes up" my system, keeps me from going into a weight-holding "starvation mode"

Pretty happy with the results so far.... , 'bout another 50 lbs. to go...

Luck.

That's great! Congrats on your success!! BTW, welcome to ST! :smiley20:

matt151617
04-10-2008, 22:07
I use a website called fitday.com to track my daily food consumption. It really works (as long as you don't cheat) You can eat anything you want as long as you are willing to record it. That makes you accountable for what you eat. You will be surprised how many calories you eat in a day.

What a great site! I just started using it after reading that here. It's amazing how fast the calories build up during a day. One word of advise though... only use that site for viewing calories. The amount of calories burned section is all messed up. Like for walking, it shows up much less than the actual amount you would use, or for just living, it's much lower than what your body actually uses.

DiverBry
04-10-2008, 22:55
lipo

100% effective each time ;)

NoTime58
04-11-2008, 08:41
lipo

Yeah, but with lipo.....you didn't "earn" the shape by working toward it with exercise and eating habits. IMO it's not the same, I think people that exercise and eat their way to a more comfortable "size" or "shape" feel extremely proud of themselves for the accomplishment... I know my wife did.....and I was proud of her for doing it.

DiverBry
04-11-2008, 22:48
lipo

Yeah, but with lipo.....you didn't "earn" the shape by working toward it with exercise and eating habits. IMO it's not the same, I think people that exercise and eat their way to a more comfortable "size" or "shape" feel extremely proud of themselves for the accomplishment... I know my wife did.....and I was proud of her for doing it.

You're right... I was jus' kidding :)

There's no substitute for eating right and exercising regularly.

mobeeno
04-11-2008, 23:36
I have kept off 38 lbs for more than 6 years by either jogging or cycling 30 minutes a day, diving about 4 dives a month on average and eating in moderation but pig out once or twice a week.

YamilR
04-21-2008, 17:27
Can I suggest this website?

Military Workouts - Military.com Military Fitness Center (http://www.military.com/fitness-center/military-fitness/workouts/archive)

snilloconator
04-24-2008, 16:58
Lots of great advice from everyone here! I do have three things to add though.

Commitment, will power and consistency!

I've been around weightlifting/bodybuilding my whole life and without the three above you will get no where. Take the advice from others given here or just search the net for the regimen that fits your schedule and stick with it.:smiley2:

Good Luck!

fire diver
04-24-2008, 22:47
Wanna loose weight? DO what I am doing. Join the army and get deployed! The food sucks, and I refuse to eat another MRE. I only eat once a day now. PLus we've gotten to a point where we can exercise regularly. I'm up to 4 miles on my runs. The weight is coming off. Plus I've been hitting the weights. I don't plan on putting on a lot of muscle mass with my current diet, but it will keep the muscles from atrophy-ing too much. I figure another 17 pounds lost, and I'll force my to up my protien intake to start building muscle mass.

snilloconator
04-27-2008, 19:37
Wanna loose weight? DO what I am doing. Join the army and get deployed! The food sucks, and I refuse to eat another MRE. I only eat once a day now. PLus we've gotten to a point where we can exercise regularly. I'm up to 4 miles on my runs. The weight is coming off. Plus I've been hitting the weights. I don't plan on putting on a lot of muscle mass with my current diet, but it will keep the muscles from atrophy-ing too much. I figure another 17 pounds lost, and I'll force my to up my protien intake to start building muscle mass.

Yeah but if you join the army you don't get to go diving..... boooo!:smiley21: LOL

fire diver
04-27-2008, 20:26

Yeah but if you join the army you don't get to go diving..... boooo!:smiley21: LOL

Yes, that is a VERY VERY VERY big downer. My last dive was in Nov of 2007. I won't get to dive again until Jun of 2009 (unless I can get to a dive spot during leave, but I doubt it).

That's why I hang out here so much lately. This and reading every dive mag my wife can send me.

:smiley19: