PDA

View Full Version : WOW, A Mini Scubaboard!

poseidon8118
07-30-2007, 21:04
Love it, a dedicated board to all who love diving and Scubatoys!!! A win- win situation...

thesmoothdome
07-31-2007, 00:14
Shhh....Don't tell the trolls.:smiley_troll:

Moxie
07-31-2007, 00:25
Hope you enjoy it here as much as I do!

Puffer Fish
07-31-2007, 05:53
Seems more peaceful... somewhat nicer place..I like that.

ScubaToys Larry
07-31-2007, 06:25
Well thanks! We appreciate the mellow folks here! And we just put in the Flash Chat module, so if people want to get into heated arguments... they can just go into one of the chat rooms and yell all they want. (I've sound proofed those rooms!) :smiley36:

creggur
07-31-2007, 07:19
Another good idea!!! Keeping the common areas civil will be nice.. If we can just keep the "holier than thou" crowd at bay it will stay nice around here..

Firebrand
07-31-2007, 08:04
Another good idea!!! Keeping the common areas civil will be nice.. If we can just keep the "holier than thou" crowd at bay it will stay nice around here..

Bingo! The "other board" is pretty much run by a handfull of the holier than thou croud. Get's old, and I bailed out almost a year ago. I hope this one dosen't fall into the same evil hands!:smiley20:

ScubaToys Larry
07-31-2007, 09:14
Bingo! The "other board" is pretty much run by a handfull of the holier than thou croud. Get's old, and I bailed out almost a year ago. I hope this one dosen't fall into the same evil hands!:smiley20:

If you see posts like that... Just click the little report icon and let me know what is going on... My goal is to make sure this stays friendly.

Some have told me that it is not possible to have a friendly establishment when it gets large... I personally don't agree. We built ScubToys (the store) into one of the largest in the world, but I still like to think each person that contacts us gets service like they are the most important customer to us... because they are. And this board will echo the same feelings if I have any control over it. Oh! And I do! :smiley2:

tx.lakerat
07-31-2007, 09:36
Love it Larry! Great work!!

Queen
07-31-2007, 10:39

So true! I think it being a new board with a new tone will help. Once people get used to a respectful place they get protective of it...I'm on a bicycling forum like this and rude/cruel/mean/trolling posts get axed very quickly. :smiley20:

tarheeldiver
07-31-2007, 12:04
Let's make it were new divers can ask questions without being afraid of it being stupid. I know I ask some stupid ones at first and still do sometimes!
greg

Wolfie2012
07-31-2007, 12:15
Definitely, this is one of the best (among many) things that Joe and Larry have done for us addicts :)

thesmoothdome
07-31-2007, 12:20
Love the idea of the chat room Larry. That could be the answer to the trolling posts, especially if mods are able to pull the trolls aside in real time and explain what the goals are for the board.

dallasdivergirl
07-31-2007, 12:29
I just never posted due to the arrogant folks there. Some of them were pretty mind blowing in the ego department.

sidneydiver
07-31-2007, 16:47
I love it here. I also am reluctant to post 'there' incase I get judged somehow. It's nice to have somewhere to post where like minded people will be helpful and share experiences without making you feel stupid.

creggur
07-31-2007, 17:06
I love it here. I also am reluctant to post 'there' incase I get judged somehow. It's nice to have somewhere to post where like minded people will be helpful and share experiences without making you feel stupid.

I experienced the "judging" first hand. Now I'm not thin skinned at all, but it really takes the fun out of the whole thing...Larry actually stepped in to my defense on the other board.
Readers Digest version:

I posted pictures of my wife and I from the day we did some of our open water cert dives. A DM that was with us took some pictures of us right after we got in the water, we were practicing some of the skills like mask r&r, and mask clear. The thread quickly deteriorated into a blasting of our skills and comfort in the water, and the competancy of our instructor. Now these were snapshots of us, one small moment in time, of us practicing for a few minutes before the actual tests started.. We didn't even know anyone was taking pictures at the time. Anyway Larry came in and basically shut down those who were being so "holier than thou". Quite honestly with his knowledge and experience with instructing SCUBA, how are you going to argue with the guy? They couldn't, and finally the thread died and now I'm here, and happy to be so!!!!

the gooch
07-31-2007, 17:24
Internet tough guys and know it alls. It happens on every forum and gets really old. Just another failure point of the interweb (hardy har har).

medicdiver
07-31-2007, 17:36
With all the bashing that goes on the Scubaboard site, I have quite trying to ask questions there. I am glad this board is up and running.

Dee
07-31-2007, 22:15
I'm really looking forward to this! Great job, Larry and Joe! :smiley20:

ScubaToys Larry
07-31-2007, 22:31
Dee! It's great to see your smiling face! Or at least that of your Avatar! Welcome!

dmdoss
08-01-2007, 00:30
I just never posted due to the arrogant folks there. Some of them were pretty mind blowing in the ego department.

Humm, don't know if I've met a diver with a big ego:smilie39:

creggur
08-01-2007, 07:54
Ego is one thing, straight out arrogance, and being a royal ass is completely different...IMHO

fire diver
08-01-2007, 08:43
With all the bashing that goes on the Scubaboard site, I have quite trying to ask questions there. I am glad this board is up and running.

I'll admit that I have done some bashing myself over on SB. Some things get so freakin stupid sometimes there that I just cyber-snap. I'm talking about the trolls and posers that are allowed to go on and on and on. Then the mods who allowed them to keep stirring the pot jump on those of us who spoke our minds. After a while I had to self impose a SB exile to cool down. It had gotten to the point that everytime I saw certain names in threads I just went red.

But this forum does have a much mellower feel. I relax just clicking on the link. :smiley20:

FD