PDA

View Full Version : Since we can't be in the ocean all the time...

JTMoney
02-27-2008, 21:15
...I like having a small piece of ocean at home.

I recently had to get rid of all my fish but I'm setting it back up now. 29 gallon biocube with 25lbs of liverock. Right now there's only two turbo snails and two blue legged hermit crabs in there. Anyone else have an aquarium?

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i73/turtleman123_2006/IMG_0012.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i73/turtleman123_2006/IMG_0011.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i73/turtleman123_2006/IMG_0010.jpg

rye_a
02-27-2008, 22:35
I have never stepped up to saltwater. My wife had discus, and I went through a stint where I got very into African Ciclids.

Osprey
02-28-2008, 07:27
I used to keep a tank solely for the purpose of housing African butterfly fish, our new condo really doesn't have room for a tank though :(

JTMoney
02-28-2008, 08:51
I used to keep a tank solely for the purpose of housing African butterfly fish, our new condo really doesn't have room for a tank though :(

I really like this one, it fits perfectly in my townhouse. Actually matches the furniture too.

rfb3
02-28-2008, 09:05

I had two for the same reason! Attached is a pic of the 85 I just sold. Oddly enough I don't have a pic the 75 I sill have... Maybe tonight I'll post a pic of it.
I have the two maroon clownin this one laying eggs!

JTMoney
02-28-2008, 10:08

I had two for the same reason! Attached is a pic of the 85 I just sold. Oddly enough I don't have a pic the 75 I sill have... Maybe tonight I'll post a pic of it.
I have the two maroon clownin this one laying eggs!

:smiley20: Looks good. I'm thinking about going fishless in this one, not sure yet.

caroln
02-28-2008, 10:19
Very nice. I'd love to have an aquarium, but I'm worried that the critters will love it a little too much while we're at work, and I'm not into the idea of coming home to a drowned cat or a bunch of fish bones all over the floor. I've never seen a fishless aquarium, but with the setup you have so far, that would actually be really cool.

MicahEW
02-28-2008, 10:22
I hear saltwater needs more attention and upkeep than fresh???

jwdizney
02-28-2008, 10:28
We used to keep salt tanks several years ago. Always loved the reef tanks. only recently heard of the new "nano-reefs". thinking about setting up another small tank, using this new "nano" technology. your 29 gal looks great!! what kind of lighting are you using? we always had issues with lighting (actinic, halide, etc..:smiley29:.)
:smilie40:

Osprey
02-28-2008, 10:34
More work to set up, but I hear they are more self-sufficient once they get going

rfb3
02-28-2008, 11:04

I can't really speak for the FW, but MY SW is easy. It all depends on what you are trying to keep. SPS (small polyp stony) corals are higher maintenence. I prefer the low-maintenance soft corals (anemones, mushrooms, etc...). I have green and rose anemones, lots of mushrooms, yellow and blue tang, royal gramma and an ocellaris clown pair that also mate and lay eggs. With the aquarium in the living room (and Tivo), we never watch commercials! :)

ScubaJenn81
02-28-2008, 11:05
I have a 55 gallon with a porcupine puffer, one damsel with the heart of a tiger and a niger trigger.

rfb3
02-28-2008, 11:08
I have a 55 gallon with a porcupine puffer, one damsel with the heart of a tiger and a niger trigger.

Cool. I have not seen may puffers in aquariums...

The damsels are very territorial. I once read that if sharks had the temperament of damsels, we'd never go in the water!

JTMoney
02-28-2008, 12:30
We used to keep salt tanks several years ago. Always loved the reef tanks. only recently heard of the new "nano-reefs". thinking about setting up another small tank, using this new "nano" technology. your 29 gal looks great!! what kind of lighting are you using? we always had issues with lighting (actinic, halide, etc..:smiley29:.)
:smilie40:

The good thing about this tank is that the filtration and lighting are all integrated. The lights that are with it are 2 power compact fluorescent lamps, 10,000 K and Actinic Lunar Blue, Moon Glow LED lights. It looks really cool at night with the led lights, I'll have to take a picture tonight and post it up. The Biocubes, the brand I have is Oceanic but there's different ones to choose from, come as small as 8 gallons. There's a concern with reef tanks that, because the environment is smaller, small changes in chemical levels have a bigger effect. It could be the case in some but I've seen some nano reefs that look great.

JTMoney
02-28-2008, 12:35

Like rfb3 and Osprey said, they aren't very hard to maintain, but the learning curve for setting it up can be challenging at times. I had a buddy that recently sold his fish/pet store help me set it up so it was pretty easy. So long as you have the proper maintenance critters, snails, hermits crabs, star fish, then the maintenance can be pretty easy. More than likely you won't need to add chemicals since the cleanup crew is doing the work. Algae can cause problems for some people, but if you don't neglect water changes and monitor the nitrate and phosphate levels it shouldn't be a problem.

Clanggedin
02-28-2008, 13:05
My wife said I have to get rid of one of my hobbies if I want a salt water tank.

I guess I wont be getting a tank anytime soon. I really like the biotanks though with the day/night lighting system.

JTMoney
02-28-2008, 13:19
My wife said I have to get rid of one of my hobbies if I want a salt water tank.

I guess I wont be getting a tank anytime soon. I really like the biotanks though with the day/night lighting system.

Blasphemy! Just tell her that it falls under the general "Ocean/Water" hobby category, so it's just like scuba but for inside.

TX1Chica
02-28-2008, 14:02
I would love to have a tank set up. We have a tank in storage, my b-day is next week. Maybe I can talk my husband into setting it up. I don't need lots of fish, but I would love a couple salt water fish.

CompuDude
02-28-2008, 17:04
Very much on my list, but on-going costs and effort is too high. I don't have the kind of time it takes to really maintain them well.*

*read: I don't even have time to feed the fish on any regular basis, let alone clean the tank and change the water regularly

JTMoney
02-28-2008, 17:06
I would love to have a tank set up. We have a tank in storage, my b-day is next week. Maybe I can talk my husband into setting it up. I don't need lots of fish, but I would love a couple salt water fish.

It's definitely worth it. I like to just sit down there by the tank and read, it's pretty relaxing. There's a lot of tutorials and forums out there that make it a lot easier.

boates
02-28-2008, 17:18
as long as the fish are captive bred, otherwise I have a problem with aquariums...and pet stores.

JTMoney
02-28-2008, 22:42
Here's a picture of what the tank looks like with the lunar led lights on. Adds a nice blue glow to the room.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i73/turtleman123_2006/IMG_0017.jpg

rfb3
02-29-2008, 13:26
Very much on my list, but on-going costs and effort is too high. I don't have the kind of time it takes to really maintain them well.*

*read: I don't even have time to feed the fish on any regular basis, let alone clean the tank and change the water regularly

I can understand that... But I have an auto feeder, so top-offs and cleaning the glass with the magnet is the only semi-monthly maintenance. Haven't done a WC in months. My tank is about three years old, so its pretty stable.

CompuDude
02-29-2008, 14:50

I can understand that... But I have an auto feeder, so top-offs and cleaning the glass with the magnet is the only semi-monthly maintenance. Haven't done a WC in months. My tank is about three years old, so its pretty stable.

Let me know if you want to sell it. ;)

I was inspired by this thread, however, but after reading up on starting new tanks for a couple of hours at ReefCentral, I know I don't have the kind of time it takes to get a tank established to the point where it's stable like that. Min of 3 months of mostly daily work to really do it right (somewhat shortened if you want to drop thousands on live sand and live rock), and lots of big tubs of super-smelly water laying around (indoors, since I live in a condo)? Neat hobby... but I already have one that costs more than I have to spare and causes issues with the wife over space consumed... and at least my scuba gear generally doesn't smell! LOL

JTMoney
02-29-2008, 15:04
Good to know I was able to inspire someone, even if you decided not to do it. I set mine up over the summer while I didn't have classes and was working evenings. I had ample free time during the day to work on whatever needed it. I don't think I'd have the time to do it now, with working and going to class full time.

rfb3
02-29-2008, 15:08
I actually started mine as a way to practice my patients (I'm rather impatient). It did take a long time of daily "stuff", but it was educational (read many books, and ReefCentral) and a good experience. However, I am not sure I'm any more patient. :)

SkuaSeptember
02-29-2008, 15:31
as long as the fish are captive bred, otherwise I have a problem with aquariums...and pet stores.
I felt sort of the same way regarding SW tanks, but I've been giving some thought to setting one up with tropicals I could recover myself in RI. The NE Aquarium Dive Club usually does a few dives each fall just for collecting.

CompuDude
02-29-2008, 16:00
I felt sort of the same way regarding SW tanks, but I've been giving some thought to setting one up with tropicals I could recover myself in RI. The NE Aquarium Dive Club usually does a few dives each fall just for collecting.

That's another issue I've had with tanks since I started betting curious about it. As much as I'd love a gorgeous tank, unless I know where the fish came from and am ok with the source, I'm no longer ok with just buying the pretty one at the LFS, since I know how many come from questionable harvesting methods in areas where they are not overly-abundant (or even scarce).

There are places where reef fish are abundant and could be hand captured quite easily, but I don't want to think about how much hassle it would be to bring one home on the plane. LOL

SkuaSeptember
02-29-2008, 16:59

That's another issue I've had with tanks since I started betting curious about it. As much as I'd love a gorgeous tank, unless I know where the fish came from and am ok with the source, I'm no longer ok with just buying the pretty one at the LFS, since I know how many come from questionable harvesting methods in areas where they are not overly-abundant (or even scarce).

There are places where reef fish are abundant and could be hand captured quite easily, but I don't want to think about how much hassle it would be to bring one home on the plane. LOL
I've helped out on the receiving end when the Aquarium has shipped animals back from collecting trips in the Carribbean. Not an easy job!

cruzan
05-25-2009, 05:59
Love salt water aquariums just never got up the nerve or money to set one up.

UofTOrange
05-25-2009, 21:56
I have a nanocube sitting around just waiting to be used. Don't really have a place for it with 2 kids under 3 right now though