PDA

View Full Version : Lionfish on the east coast.

emcbride81
02-27-2008, 22:39
I haven't done a lot of diving on the east coast, for those of you that have lately, how many lionfish are you seeing? I have read several articles lately about them. Are they flourishing at this point or are sightings sporadic?

Athena2c
02-27-2008, 22:50
I don't know about the East Coast of the US, but we were just on a liveaboard in the Bahamas in January and saw them at least daily. They are very beautiful, but apparantly very devastating to the local marine environment.

emcbride81
02-27-2008, 22:59
I guess I should have named this Atlantic/Caribbean Divers....since they are all over the place!

I don't know how much damage they are doing, but I know without a predator they could get out of hand. I read somewhere that an organization was encouraging the killing of any lionfish spotted on a dive. I cannot remember where I read that tho.

texdiveguy
02-27-2008, 23:06
There are more and more sightings and selected captures on the eastern seaboard each month. I just saw 2 myself at the World Aquarium in Dallas this weekend....they are in Texas now!

emcbride81
02-27-2008, 23:09
Wow, Texas...you all better watch out then...I hear everything is bigger in Texas! :)

texdiveguy
02-27-2008, 23:20
Wow, Texas...you all better watch out then...I hear everything is bigger in Texas! :)

Actually these 2 were BAD BOYS.....they were some really large Lionfish!

RoyN
02-28-2008, 02:19
I remember my cousin's lionfish ate everything in the tank. :smiley36:

Otherwise, I want to go to the east coast just to see how humans (?) have pretty much made that ecosystem completely off its track.

SkuaSeptember
02-28-2008, 05:56
They might be bigger in Texas, But we've got little ones as far north as RI!

Rare Lionfish found by Dive Club Member (http://www.neadc.org/newsletters/2006-10/Article_lionfish.html)

Crimediver
02-28-2008, 06:06
I saw one on the U-85 in NC a couple of years ago. For a moment I thought I was in the Philippines again. I did not know they had gotten this far.

Osprey
02-28-2008, 07:28
I heard years ago they were an issue in the Keys due to the lack of natural predators. I wouldn't be surprised if there were several kill orders out.

SkuaSeptember
02-28-2008, 07:33
I haven't done a lot of diving on the east coast, for those of you that have lately, how many lionfish are you seeing? I have read several articles lately about them. Are they flourishing at this point or are sightings sporadic?
Did you notice the two lionfish in the youtube video link you posted on the submarine thread?

emcbride81
02-28-2008, 10:16
Did you notice the two lionfish in the youtube video link you posted on the submarine thread?

Yeah, that is what prompted me to post the question. That is the first time I have seen a video/picture taken in the east coast/caribbean with a lionfish in it. Except of course the articles about them.

jeepbrew
02-28-2008, 12:22
I have seen them quite often in the Atlantic off the FL and NC coasts as well as all over the Bahamas.

BuzzGA
02-28-2008, 22:53
We were diving in the Keys in December and didn't see any and I was watching for them. From what I've read, they are a real problem

emcbride81
02-28-2008, 23:22
We were diving in the Keys in December and didn't see any and I was watching for them. From what I've read, they are a real problem

I did two dives in Key Largo and two in Ft Lauderdale and didn't see any either...but apparently that doesn't mean much!

rye_a
02-29-2008, 00:06
I'll be in the Bahamas mid-march and will keep an eye out.

Super-Duper Scubasteve
02-29-2008, 14:00
I remember reading a lot about this in all the magazines. Seeems like it could be a problem unless there is a steady process to eradicate them.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
02-29-2008, 19:16
There are regular sightings on some of the NC offshore wrecks.

Bwana
02-29-2008, 21:24
Yes they are on the East Coast. In Palm Beach and in the Bahamas they can be seen on almost every dive. The problem seams to be they have no natural predators here. They are much larger than the ones I've seen in the Pacific; soom as much as twice the size. I do know one of the concerns in the Bahamas is they are eating many of the juvinile fish. I guess will see how this one turns out. I do not know of any other sitings in Texas except in Aquariums.

bversteegh
03-01-2008, 03:00
Kind of interesting no predators. I have seen groupers in Hawaii swallow the Hawaiin Lionfish in one quick gulp.

scubachristo
03-01-2008, 06:54
i saw dozens of lionfish while wreckdiving off morehead city in NC