PDA

View Full Version : Aplying Zipper Wax

skdvr
02-28-2008, 10:11
OK, I would think that this is pretty basic but I would like to know what the proper way to apply zipper wax is. I went to do it last night and started thinking about the different ways that it could be applied. I would think that the zipper should be open, but do you just run the wax across the top of the teeth or the front of the teeth? Is just one swipe acrossthe top and one swipe across the bottom enough? Should I do it on the inside of the Zipper too or not?

So many questions for such a simple thing. I jut want to make sure that I get it right and do not do something that would cause harm.

Phil

SkuaSeptember
02-28-2008, 11:17
Do it with the zipper closed,run the wax along the teeth on each side of the outside and then run the zipper back and forth. Do not wax the inside. If it still feels sticky, give it another go. If the suit is old or you've been diving in some real crud you might have to scrub the teeth with a tooth brush first. If there are any loose threads you want to trim them off or better yet carefully burn them off.

CompuDude
02-28-2008, 17:48
Do it with the zipper closed,run the wax along the teeth on each side of the outside and then run the zipper back and forth. Do not wax the inside. If it still feels sticky, give it another go. If the suit is old or you've been diving in some real crud you might have to scrub the teeth with a tooth brush first. If there are any loose threads you want to trim them off or better yet carefully burn them off.

I always do it with the zipper open. The important part is that you apply to the outside edge of the teeth.

cummings66
02-28-2008, 19:11
I've done it both ways, but I've got to wonder this. In the Summer heat the beeswax has got to melt some and migrate. It's got to get to the inside edge I'd think.

Probably such a small amount to be of no importance. My drysuit manual says zipper open and you slide the zipper across twice leaving it open when done.

skdvr
02-28-2008, 19:12
Thanks gents for the replys.... I just did not want to screw anything up...

Phil