PDA

View Full Version : UPS Issues

NitroWill
02-28-2008, 09:40
First off let me say this is not something from ST or scuba equipment - just want to get advice/opinions/rant :)

I have had two (IMPORTANT) packages shipped via UPS 2nd day air or higher in the past month. BOTH have been rescheduled for another date. My overnight was due in friday but got rescheduled which bumped it lal the way to monday. I had another package coming 2 day air that was rather important and now they bumped it to Friday and according to UPS could be as late as Monday!!

Yes I know I can get a refund for the shipping - but how are you suppose to assure important things get to you on time if UPS can't even do it. Ive called multiple times this morning to see what can be done and all I get is a "well, its not there so we cant deliver it sorry" response. It's pretty bad whe I pay big bucks to assure something gets here and UPS can't get it here by then or even know when it really will. :smiley21:

fisheater
02-28-2008, 09:50
Remember: UPS does NOT have the slogan "when it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight."

The other guy does.

NitroWill
02-28-2008, 09:54
Remember: UPS does NOT have the slogan "when it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight."

The other guy does.

That's really irrelevant to this. UPS offers the service as guaranteed to be there by 2nd day. It just appears there word isn't very reputable...

SkuaSeptember
02-28-2008, 10:01
Where were they coming from? Weather considerations have grounded a lot of flights this past month.

NitroWill
02-28-2008, 10:11
Where were they coming from? Weather considerations have grounded a lot of flights this past month.

Well, they departed NJ and flew to SC. Now apparently they are stuck in Georgia on there way here..So I doubt weather is an issue

fisheater
02-28-2008, 10:12

The other guy does.

That's really irrelevant to this. UPS offers the service as guaranteed to be there by 2nd day. It just appears there word isn't very reputable...

Actually, it is relevant.

Here's an example. I had a package that "absolutely, positively" had to get from San Francisco to New York overnight. I instructed my staff to "FedEx" it. Instead, they used a cheaper service.

I didn't get there overnight. I called the service that they used and was told that there was nothing they could do about it, because the weather had shut down the New York airports.

I called FedEx and asked them about it. First, I had to calm down the customer service rep who thought that they hadn't delivered a package entrusted to them. When I explained that the other service didn't get it there because of the airport shut down, she explained that they had a huge problem with the weather, too. HOWEVER, the worked around the problem by landing their planes many miles away and trucking the packages through the night like mad men.

One service had a guarantee that says "we'll get it there on time, or we'll give you a refund." FedEx really meant "when it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight."

I'm not saying that FedEx won't fail occasionally. It's just that they'll put in a whole lot more effort when things go awry.

Mtrewyn
02-28-2008, 10:24
When we ship lab samples to other labs, (human samples) for treatment we only use Fed Ex, all the others have "lost" or gotten bogged down some how, and when some one's medical treatment relies on the shipment well.... you decide who is better, but I personally only use Fed Ex I really don't even like USPS for my letters I just don't trust them.

rfb3
02-28-2008, 11:15

I have had this happen to me recently too. CO was hit by a lot of snow and delayed a package.

I personnaly love UPS. You could put my name and zip code on a box and my UPS guy would get it there. FedEx on the other hand can't find my street! And, don't get me started on USPS Priority Mail!!!

cummings66
02-28-2008, 11:27
I have had lots of problems with FedEx, don't get me started on their reliability. When they drop a package off at the wrong house, when it was supposed to signed for, and it wasn't, and when the thing fails to be here and their tracking says it is, do you want to know how much they help you? Not much. I got it because a neighbor was kind enough to find it in their driveway. Stupid FedEx.

UPS isn't much better for the record, they've delivered a package to me at a house a mile away, even was the wrong road number. Driver couldn't read I guess.

To be honest, I ship to work because it's the only way I can guarantee either of them will get me my stuff, everybody knows the business I work at, it's been around since WWII and we have probably had the drivers as customers so they always get it right. Even the post office, send it to me at the wrong address, as long as it's got Art's on it they'll hand deliver it because they know us. At my house it's more luck than anything else.

When I used to work as a ticket agent for a bus company many of the labs would send us their stuff to deliver because they knew it would get there more reliably, this was before FedEx though.

mitchy
02-28-2008, 11:40
On a recent UPS shipment, it showed up at my house on a Friday. I was not there to sign, so next delivery attempt slated for Monday. Over the weekend, and on Mon/Tuesday, the package went sightseeing out to the east coast, finally getting back to my house on the Wed.

rfb3
02-28-2008, 13:19
I have had lots of problems with FedEx, don't get me started on their reliability. When they drop a package off at the wrong house, when it was supposed to signed for, and it wasn't, and when the thing fails to be here and their tracking says it is, do you want to know how much they help you? Not much. I got it because a neighbor was kind enough to find it in their driveway. Stupid FedEx.

FedEx one Friday marked my package as "delivered"... It was not at my house, so I searched up and down the street (in a panic) to no avail. It arrived the next day. The driver told me they mark them delivered to make their bonus at the EOY for on time delivery... Nice!

RoyN
02-28-2008, 14:12
Most of my UPS stuff now get delivered around at night now because the driver knows someone is at home. The only time I actually had to drive to the mail office was Fedex Express came at the house when nobody is at home. It was at 10am where there is nobody at home. Of course, this was an item I bought in Japan too.

CompuDude
02-28-2008, 17:07

The other guy does.

Here's an example. I had a package that "absolutely, positively" had to get from San Francisco to New York overnight. I instructed my staff to "FedEx" it. Instead, they used a cheaper service.

I didn't get there overnight. I called the service that they used and was told that there was nothing they could do about it, because the weather had shut down the New York airports.

I called FedEx and asked them about it. First, I had to calm down the customer service rep who thought that they hadn't delivered a package entrusted to them. When I explained that the other service didn't get it there because of the airport shut down, she explained that they had a huge problem with the weather, too. HOWEVER, the worked around the problem by landing their planes many miles away and trucking the packages through the night like mad men.

One service had a guarantee that says "we'll get it there on time, or we'll give you a refund." FedEx really meant "when it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight."

I'm not saying that FedEx won't fail occasionally. It's just that they'll put in a whole lot more effort when things go awry.

I vote FedEx every time. UPS has a terrible tracking system. Nearly every time we've used them, they've fouled something up.

FedEx gets it there. The next day, like they're supposed to. Or they'll tell you they can't do it up front.

UPS will take your money and your package. And then may or may not get it there on time. And then they'll blame [insert convenient excuse here].

cummings66
02-28-2008, 17:41
I had a train derailment delay a UPS shipment. Only problem was I could find no news on that happening in the area it would have had to in order to delay it. It was about an hour and a half from home, I'm sure I would have heard the news had it really happened.

newways
02-28-2008, 18:24
I rufuse to ship UPS...always fedex or the good 'ol usps...

Mycroft
02-28-2008, 20:53
Good ole USPS right? Well I had a pay stub delivered to my home by them, only it was returned to my employer marked "house vacant" even though there was someone home that day and a car in the driveway.

cgvmer
02-28-2008, 21:37
I owned a home beer brewing business, and would order very sensitive specialty yeast from a lab in Washington State, the lab would only guarantee viability if shipped via Fedex. I used UPS when delivery was needed and cost was and issue but schedules were not.

cummings66
02-28-2008, 21:40
I think it's all got to do with luck of the draw. Sometimes each one does a good job, and sometimes they just don't.

I know when I order stuff from ST's it comes UPS and to date it's never been late. I'll post an update if tomorrows shipment gets delayed...

rye_a
02-28-2008, 23:22
In our area FedEx tends to me MUCH more reliable than UPS.

MagnaBoxer
02-29-2008, 08:53
Living in a rural area I will take UPS every time. Seems Fed-ex has a different driver every time I get a delivery from them and they can never find my house. The UPS guy is always the same guy and my packages arrive in one piece with rarely any delay on their part and if there is nobody home I know that I can expect it to be left on my porch swing.

Last time I got something Fex-exed it was concert tickets that I had paid several hundred dollars for. When I found them the envelope they were in was taped to a tree limb by the road at the end of my 500' driveway. I was extremely lucky to have not lost my tickets as the wind was blowing about 40 that day.

rfb3
02-29-2008, 08:58
Living in a rural area I will take UPS every time. Seems Fed-ex has a different driver every time I get a delivery from them and they can never find my house. The UPS guy is always the same guy and my packages arrive in one piece with rarely any delay on their part and if there is nobody home I know that I can expect it to be left on my porch swing.

EXACTLY! :smiley20:

mike_s
02-29-2008, 14:30
My wifes company got bought by UPS and she was forced into their system.

We learned very quickly that UPS stood for "Useless Piece (of) ****"

Their corporate management is one of the worst screwed up beasts I've seen.

Want some interested Reading about them... goto United Package Smashers, a website where employees and customers vent about their problems with UPS.

United Package Smashers - The Truth about United Parcel Service and the Big, Brown Turd! (http://www.unitedpackagesmashers.com)

Unfortunately this is a problem with FED EX in rural and 'home' delivery. They use contractors (non employees) to do their deliveries for many of the home routes. This was from when FEDEX bought RPS (Rapid Pacakage System) to start up FEDEX HOME. All of RPS's employees were not real employees but indepent contractor services or used a small company that hired drivers as 2nd party contractors. So there is no consistant quality assurance with their delivery or drivers in these cases.

Luckily we live in a FEDEX area that has good coverage. So we've had positive results out of them. But I've heard the horror stories also.

Airborne merged with DHL a few years back and they do this also. They are even worse and about half their work force is contractors or subcontractors. It took a week to get an overnight shipment sent last time I used them. I refuse to use them again.

Mtrewyn
03-03-2008, 09:43
When I used to work as a ticket agent for a bus company many of the labs would send us their stuff to deliver because they knew it would get there more reliably, this was before FedEx though.

This is true too, we do use the bus alot than send our own couriers to pick it up at the station.

Athena2c
03-03-2008, 10:36
It doesn't really matter which one you use around here-6 of one, half dozen of the other.
My problem is when there is an in-person signature required! My husband and I both have decent commutes and are never home during the week day, so when a signature is required, we will never be there and have to arrange to get it at the local office. That's when I prefer FedEx because they are open on Saturdays. UPS is Mon-Fri, 8-5....reall convenient for us people with jobs...:smiley29:

CompuDude
03-03-2008, 12:09
It doesn't really matter which one you use around here-6 of one, half dozen of the other.
My problem is when there is an in-person signature required! My husband and I both have decent commutes and are never home during the week day, so when a signature is required, we will never be there and have to arrange to get it at the local office. That's when I prefer FedEx because they are open on Saturdays. UPS is Mon-Fri, 8-5....reall convenient for us people with jobs...:smiley29:

I never ship stuff home for that very reason. I always have it delivered to work.

(Obvious exception for furniture deliveries, but those get arranged for weekends when we're home and expecting it anyway, and generally aren't UPS/FedEx deliveries)

cmburch
03-03-2008, 12:10
My problem was not with UPS; it was with the vendor. I ordered a special motorcycle tire 2nd day air, but the company took over a week before they shipped it. It did arrive by 2nd day air over a week late.

I have had problems many times with FedEx saying they had delivered the package in the evening and actually delivering it the next morning. That has happened about 4 times in the past couple of years. I thought my package was stolen when checking the Internet tracking system.

TxHockeyGuy
03-03-2008, 13:54
Where I worked previously we used FedEx for the longest time until they started to lose literally about 1 in 20 of our shipments. Not only that but we always found we had to very carefully watch our bill, even when using an entirely online system as packages would mysteriously get double charged or their service upgraded without our request. We ended up switching to DHL which did limit some of the places we could overnight to but at least it got there when they said it would and we didn't have to worry about billing.

Where I'm at now we use UPS and oh my, I thought FedEx was bad. We have flat stopped shipping our units through them as they were literally getting destroyed. We ship RAID arrays and NAS servers which easily go for 70 or more lbs and it's obvious they're kicking them right off the back of the truck as they don't want to pick them up. We've had to start to ship everything palletized. Problem is our customers don't when they ship returns and because what they are returning is damaged we can't give them their money back. We try to help them through the UPS claims process but it's hit and miss at best. They usually try to come back and claim insufficient packaging which is ridiculous as these things are surrounded by at least 4 inches of foam in custom packaging that's actually been professionally tested to exceed every shipping companies requirement.

So put me on board with hating UPS, not being a fan of FedEx, and shipping DHL when it's really important.

rfb3
03-07-2008, 13:23
Well, I had unsubscribed to this thread because I had already put in my 2cents... But thought I'd fire it up again.

FEDEX SUCKS!!!

I have a package that is now 2 days over due... its bouncning back and forth from Dallas to Fort Worth, and still on the truck... God I hate FedEx!

cummings66
03-07-2008, 17:11
I've seen one of our appliance part companies have issues with UPS destroying their packaging and thus losing the product inside or damaging it beyond use. They switched to FedEx, then after FedEx started doing the same thing they went back to UPS now.

It's just that neither company gives a hoot it seems. Both damage goods, and I've seen both claim to have delivered a package that they didn't. I've seen enough of DHL to know I don't like them, but as I recall LG Electronics ships my parts DHL and to date they do seem to get here intact but take longer to get here.

Doug B
03-07-2008, 21:45
What has Brown lost for you?
UPS delivers stuff for me multiple times each week... to the wrong address up the road. They show it delivered on thier website, and signed for... but not by anybody where I work. The company I work for has three buildings in a small town. Apparently, the UPS driver doesn't feel like he needs to deliver to the address where I'm at. He just drops off all the packages at the main address.

Roadway has completely destroyed two shipments of professionally built wooden crates that were steel banded together. Each crate weights about 300 lbs. Fork lift drivers stick forks right thru the crates, bash in the ends, knock the bottoms out... you name it.

FedEx is OK... not great.

DHL is my favorite these days...

BuzzGA
03-07-2008, 22:07
I had an amazing UPS experience, a company was sending me a pair of boots I ordered...when I got home the day the boots were supposed to arrive, no boots, then the phone rings (my phone number was on the box)...a jogger a couple of blocks away found them in the middle of the road, apparently the box fell off the truck and nobody noticed. I called UPS to express my displeasure, they really weren't too concerned. Not a big fan of UPS

fkostyun
03-07-2008, 23:12
I have had issues with both - but - more issues with UPS than FedEx.

Last month I had a PC destroyed by UPS - so - there not in my good graces at the moment (and we don't even want to talk about the hoops i'm having to jump through with them.

Last damage I had with FedEx was a crushed router, and they did actually let me know that they had damaged it in shiping and needed to get valuation information so that get me a check.

Now, as far as recieving packages - I am lucky - I have Robert the post man, John the UPS man, and Bruce the Fed-Ex man. All three have been doing the same route for years (20+ years for the post man)

Gombessa
03-08-2008, 01:37

Exactly. The difference in culture between the two companies is incredible, and I've had several business cases about FedEx. When a UPS driver forgets the key to the drop box, they pick it up the next day. When a FedEx driver forgot the key to the drop box, he hauled the entire box to the truck to get it back to the facility to make the sort.

The OP asked "how are you supposed to make sure something gets there on time if UPS can't do it?" The answer is easy: use FedEx (or USPS Express Mail or DHL or whoever your favorite courier is). :smiley20:

danielh03
03-08-2008, 01:51
It all comes down to your local guys 99% of the time. I had a package sent to me FedEx from a military supply store. Well the driver did not feel like driving down my long curvy road, and new one of my neighbors worked at the local gas station (my town only had 2) so he just had her sign for it while she was at work and had her promise to deliver it to me. So when I checked the FedEx tracking system, it said it was delivered. I called them, and the customer service rep said she could not help me, she could not read the signiture. 4 days later my neighbor remembers this package in her back seat and drops it off..... the package contained almost 1000 dollars of gear I wanted before getting sent out... needless to say a drive was canned over that, and I received a letter of appology from FedEx and a refund on my shipping.... Its ups for me now.

plot
03-09-2008, 15:50
Let's look at two companies really quick...

UPS, started up delivering packages and made tons of money doing it their way via their nice brown trucks and have been doing so since... 1907 I think.

Fred, the founder of Fedex (who comes from a wealthy family and had alot of wealthy backers), started his own company called Fedex in the 1970's or so. Fedex's sole purpose was for delivering packages overnight, 2day, etc... their whole business revolves around air packages. They eventually took on a ground service to supplement it.

UPS on the other hand, their whole business revolves around ground packages, they took on an air service just to compete with Fedex.

Which do you think has a much larger focus on actually garunteeing that service?

Also... you know how Fedex was able to make a go of air surface? First they convinced the american public they NEEDED to get it there the next day, or in 2 days, etc... instead of having them do a little planning ahead or being a little patient.

As for your question, if it's so important you gotta have it somewhere the next day, you could always hire a courier to hand deliver it for you.

Nancy Lynn
03-09-2008, 16:20
What I hate are the fools who don't bother to knock and see if anyone is home - generally FedEx. They just loop the handles on the plastic bag over the door handle on my garage. I come out sometime later to drive out of my garage, open the garage door so I can get out. The garage door goes up, and if I am lucky, all I do is smash the box between the door and the opening before the plastic bag handles tear and drop the package. If not, the box gets jammed and I have to darn near take the door apart to retrieve the package.

As to USPS - I once paid for Express Mail because i was a day closer to the due date on the mortgage than I felt comfortable with. It was delivered to its location about 150 miles away - 14 days after I mailed it. I talked the mortgage company into waiving the late fee - they were far more responsive than the USPS.

The one I really hate is DHL. They have ZERO ability to track anything (or they do and they are lying about it). We ordered a dress well in advance of a dance to which my daughter wanted to wear the dress. We got to a week before the dance and started calling to find out whether we could wait for the delivery or would need to go out shopping for an alternative dress. All they could tell me was that it had been scanned in at the receiving end, and that when it arrived at the next scanning point they would be able to tell me when and where that was. That was over a week after it shipped - they had no idea what route it might have taken, where the first scanning point might be, or how long it was expected to take to get to that point.

They point blank refused to answer my direct question as to whether they did not know where it was, or it was against company policy to tell me where it was (asked because of very odd wording to some of their previous responses to my questions).

plot
03-09-2008, 18:03
DHL is awesome for international shipping to europe/asia. Thats where their main infrastructure is so they have zero problems getting your package from here to their or back to here. UPS and Fedex can't cut it.

I had a package sent from Spain via DHL last Monday and had it by Wednesday. :D Few years ago it took two days to get a package from Taiwan through DHL. Try shipping a package to canada with UPS sometime...

Outside of that, DHL generally sucks in the US.

cummings66
03-09-2008, 18:30
When a FedEx driver forgot the key to the drop box, he hauled the entire box to the truck to get it back to the facility to make the sort.

I can't say about drop boxes, but I can tell you from firsthand experience their customer service sucks big time. I had a prepaid pickup going back to Toshiba, called them up and they gave me the pickup number/time etc. Never showed. I called them back the next day to find out why and it turns out they have a new policy.

For them to pickup a prepaid package at our store they needed a credit card number as the one they had on file was 5 years out of date. Get this, they've been picking up those prepaid labels forever and all of a sudden decide they needed a credit card number.

What sucks is they could have told me, but no. They just let it slide. IME UPS has never done this to me. Of course we're an authorized UPS shipping place we did that because we're always shipping stuff off. Been with them over 20 years and so far the mistakes have been there but they take care of it. I once had them call a driver at home to find out what happened to a package he delivered, to the wrong address. Think FedEx would do that? Not in my experience.

It really all boils down to who you talk to more than anything else. Both damage packages and both have good and bad reps and drivers.

I'll say this much, 1953 UPS did 2 day air delivery. I think that beats FedEx to the punch doesn't it? FedEx's claim to fame was doing it cheaper, not faster or better. They essentially started in 1971, although they lay claim to being around from 1913 by virtue of the companies it bought up. However, UPS was first in every aspect of the business, including I bet destroying packages. I kind of recall some early FedEx commercials insinuating that practice happened with UPS.

granolatree
03-09-2008, 18:32
I'm a fan of UPS, but living in Alaska I choose USPS any day over the rest. With UPS and Fedex they only ship 2nd day air. Which gets very expensive.

plot
03-09-2008, 20:07
I'll say this much, 1953 UPS did 2 day air delivery. I think that beats FedEx to the punch doesn't it? FedEx's claim to fame was doing it cheaper, not faster or better. They essentially started in 1971, although they lay claim to being around from 1913 by virtue of the companies it bought up. However, UPS was first in every aspect of the business, including I bet destroying packages. I kind of recall some early FedEx commercials insinuating that practice happened with UPS.

In a classic giant corperation startup move, when FedEx started they hired a ton of UPS employees, from package handlers, drivers, all the way up the corperate chain. So they'd know what went on at UPS.

In my experience FedEx does have alot nicer package handling operations, properly staffed in most areas unlike UPS. FedEx drivers are also often independent contractors who have to buy the route, their own vehicle, in charge of maintenance, buying their own gas, etc. whereas UPS drivers arnt. You'll get a variance in how your driver does things just based on that.

5oclock
03-10-2008, 20:56
I have worked for both. UPS is so much better.

Gombessa
03-10-2008, 22:18
Someone earlier said it best: for most of our own anecdotal experience, the difference lies mainly with the individual courier on our route. A couple of years ago I lived in an apt that had no doorman, only way UPS/Fedex could get inside was if someone who had a delivery was actually home when they rang up the intercom and buzzed them into the building.

The UPS guy would just leave a bunch of slips outside the front door to the lobby, it was pretty clear he never called anyone, just had pre-filled slips for our address (a complex of about 50 units). 9 times out of 10, we'd unlock the front door, go up the elevator, walk down the hall to our unit, and find our fedex package waiting by the door to our unit. The fedex guy obviously buzzed people until he got in, and then brought every package for the address in with him, and hand-delivered them to each unit. So in that case, you get the impression that FedEx is way better than UPS. With different deliverymen, you could easily come to a different conclusion.

Soonerwink
03-10-2008, 22:28
DHL is awesome for international shipping to europe/asia. Thats where their main infrastructure is so they have zero problems getting your package from here to their or back to here. UPS and Fedex can't cut it.

I had a package sent from Spain via DHL last Monday and had it by Wednesday. :D Few years ago it took two days to get a package from Taiwan through DHL. Try shipping a package to canada with UPS sometime...

Outside of that, DHL generally sucks in the US.
The reason DHL is great for delivery to Europe is they are owned by the German Govt. They also lost 90 million dollars in the US last year so have cut 900 jobs already and is even thinking of pulling out of the US. Now FEDEX is in trouble with the IRS, owes 360 million in back taxes and expect all the states to come after them now. And with the price of fuel going through the roof. This is all going to lead to much higher shipping charges.