PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic Gear Problems

Noboundaries
02-29-2008, 09:11
Has anyone had problems with their Oceanic gear? My wife and I each have an Oceanic setup we bought from a different retailer; Excursion BC, Delta 4 regulator, ProPlus 2 computer, Air XS Inflator, and V-12 fins. The gear is one year and one day old and has 26 dives on it from 6 separate dive trips. In that time my second stage has had to be repaired, both computers have failed (one after the first dive and one ten dives later), one of my wife's fin straps broke at the connector, and I was just notified that on the annual inspection one of the bladders has a hole in it and it can't be repaired.

We take meticulous care of our gear and to Oceanic's credit they have fixed everything under warranty without question (the bladder is still being debated though). Has anyone else had a problem with Oceanic gear? We'd like to have confidence in our life support system. Please share if you have had problems or have been problem free.

Thanks for any input.

MagnaBoxer
02-29-2008, 09:47
My wife, son, and I own Oceanic computers (all different models) and while my son's is new we haven't had any problems with them. Other than an issue with the battery hatch cover which I've yet to determine if it was my fault or a faulty component. Needless to say ST took care of me and replaced the cover either way so as far as computers go I'd have to say I'd give them a plus.

We also own two Delta 4's and have been really happy with them. Not too happy with Oceanic's website though. When I found out about the recall I put our SN's in and both came up as being included. We took them to ST and Joe had his tech put priority on them to get the seats replaced. Once that was done he tried to enter the numbers in the Oceanic website. It said that neither one was affected by the recall. I was pissed at myself and really felt bad that I told Joe that they were in the recall then to find out they weren't.

This all took place just before Thanksgiving and I just recently was on the Oceanic website and saw the recall notice again. I though hmmm...I wonder. Punched in the SN's and sure enough, it comes up and says that mine is not affected by the recall however on my wife's it says that it is affected by the recall and not to use it til it's been repaired. WTH?? One month they are affected and the next they aren't?? I know the parts have been replaced and we're not worried about it but Oceanic needs to get their website straight and figure out exactly which regs are affected and which are not. Regardless of those issues the regs have performed flawlessly and I would give them a plus.

I also own an Oceanic mask, and an Aeris Coral BC, which I like but no longer use since I bought a Brigade. My son has an Aeris Pro regulator and he really likes it and has had absolutely no problems with it. We own over 3k in Oceanic (and Aeris) equipment and I'd have to give Oceanic a thumbs up at this point for equipment quality, however all of our gear is less than a year old so I may have a different view after some time has passed.

Have you tried using some Aqua Seal on your leaking BC? I've never had reason to use it (yet) but others have and had good results with it.

cmburch
02-29-2008, 10:03
I have not used the newer Oceanic gear, but I have used their gauges, computers, wetsuits for over 20 years without much problem and they have excellent service and upgrade program. I am sorry to hear about your BC. If it is a manufacturer defect, they should take care of it immediately. They don't want the bad publicity.

cummings66
02-29-2008, 10:54
I've got a couple pieces of Oceanic gear, and to date have never had problems. Light and computer.

No Misses
02-29-2008, 11:07
I used to dive an Oceanic Probe BC. I did get one small hole in the front bottom of the bladder. It was my fault and NOT a defect. I patched it with a dab of 3m 5200. I also broke one of the plastic buckles. This I attibute to rough use, not a defect. i have since upgraded my BC. The only reason that my old probe did not go on Ebay is the cracked buckle and patched hole. I would still dive this BC. But, I did not feel right selling it to a newbie. It is my standby/loaner BC.

IMHO It is very well made for a jacket style BC.

P.S. My DC in an Aeris. These are identical to Oceanic (think GM, Cevrolet, Pontiac). I feel that they make good dive computers.

LMM1967
02-29-2008, 13:22
We have 2 fairly new Geo DC's - one has an older version of firmware and has the EL2 issue. I called them and they are replacing it with a brand new one.

I was very impressed with their customer service - that will keep me buying Oceanic gear.

mb104
02-29-2008, 13:32
I've had mixed reviews, but mostly on the positive side. My first drysuit was an Oceanic Aedura (spelling?), and after about 100 dives, the left boot came off. Lucky for me it was while I was gearing up for a dive, and not during a dive. My LDS contacted Oceanic and I was pleased to have them replace (Oceanic, not my LDS, but done through the LDS) it with a new Oceanic M2O (made to order) Biodry at cost. This suit has been a trooper ever since. I also have an Oceanic computer (forgot which model), which has been put through its paces and beat up pretty well. After exposing the display to direct sunlight for too long, the display went (after 200 dives), and again, Oceanic replaced it for free. I'm not gentle on my gear, and from what I've heard about the major brands, my gear is holding up better than most. I have other Oceanic gear thats never had any issue of any kind. I am a fan.

RoyN
02-29-2008, 13:52
Oceanic probably won't repair a BC bladder due to it already being defect, but they will replace it for you, provided you have the warranty with them. Thats what my mom said. :)

Zenagirl
02-29-2008, 18:09
Wow, that's a bunch of bad luck all at once! I've always heard good things about Oceanic/Aeris products, and the Oceanic/Aeris computers we own have been perfect for the past 4 years. Weird that you have had so many problems....but if Oceanic stays true to past form, you'll at least get excellent customer service from them.

Noboundaries
02-29-2008, 19:14
Thanks for the votes of Oceanic confidence ladies and gentlemen. We REALLY like our Oceanic gear and once it is replaced under warranty, we've had no problems (knock on kelp).

After personally examining the failed bladder it turns out there's a puncture hole on my wife's BC all the way through the bladder, both inner and outer sides. Like I said earlier, we take meticulous care of our equipment, but I take care of mine and she takes care of hers. I have an idea how that puncture might have happened, but after being married 27+ years I'm going to eat that cost and drop the subject completely. Wisdom truly does come with age.

jmoors
02-29-2008, 20:45
Thanks for the votes of Oceanic confidence ladies and gentlemen. We REALLY like our Oceanic gear and once it is replaced under warranty, we've had no problems (knock on kelp).

After personally examining the failed bladder it turns out there's a puncture hole on my wife's BC all the way through the bladder, both inner and outer sides. Like I said earlier, we take meticulous care of our equipment, but I take care of mine and she takes care of hers. I have an idea how that puncture might have happened, but after being married 27+ years I'm going to eat that cost and drop the subject completely. Wisdom truly does come with age.

HAHAHAHAA Well put my friend!!!:smiley20::smiley20:

John