PDA

View Full Version : Duffle of backpack?

I ate nemo
02-29-2008, 13:13
Im needing to get my first bag for my dive gear. I only have around 30-40 to spend. Whats better a duffle bag or a packback style? Also is mesh good to have?

Super-Duper Scubasteve
02-29-2008, 13:18
I don't know whether duffle or backpack is better, but I mesh is good for keeping wet stuff aired out to stop mold from growing.

cmburch
02-29-2008, 13:21
My buddy has a large zip open duffel (it may be army surplus) that works for him and is easy to stow in the trunk. I use a large Rubber Maid container so the wet gear does not get saltwater or sand in my car. Mesh would be good to have if it is only on the top part of the bag - so sand and water does not drop out the bottom or get in the bottom.
For live aboard boat dives, a hard Rubber Maid container is good to protect your gear from abuse such as from a tank or someone falling against your bag. Tie the lid to container, so it won't blow away on the boat.

I ate nemo
02-29-2008, 13:56
Good info to know.

rfb3
02-29-2008, 14:07
I have both. Started with BP and moved to duffle. BP easier to carry, duffle easier to load/unload. So it depends on how long a walk to have to get to the boat or dive site. My BP has a built in dry bag which is nice too. Mesh is essential.

Foo2
02-29-2008, 14:22
I use the best of both worlds. I keep my dry stuff in my backpack/duffel bag from ST. Here is the link (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=STMeshBackPack). I put my wet stuff in a large plastic bin so that my vehicle doesn't get yucky.

CompuDude
02-29-2008, 14:51
Mesh is good for a boat bag for smaller boats, but not necessarily the best for general transport. What kind of conditions are you diving in? Warm, cold? Shore diving, beach diving, air travel to warm water only? How much gear?

Hard to give general recommendations when there are so many right answers that are drastically different depending on the conditions.

MLenyo
02-29-2008, 15:04
i've got a mesh jansport backpack that works pretty well. duffle bags just seem to get soaking wet, especially if you wear a stow a jacket BC!

Skyjunky
02-29-2008, 17:09
I have a mesh backpack for dive boats. Lake diving I keep all my stuff in a rubbermaid.

SkuaSeptember
02-29-2008, 17:19
I'm with the large Rubbermaid tote crowd, it also doubles as a rinse bucket. When absolutely neccesary I use an old duffel bag and that still goes into the tote to keep my van dry.

Crimediver
02-29-2008, 17:26
Get a cheap old bag to keep your gear in for use on a diveboat but you will get by real well with a Rubbermaid tub like others have said. Keeps wet gear from messing up your car and can use it soak your gear and the price is right. I have Stahlsac gear and a bunch of other bags but tend to use the plastic tub for most of my diving.

rye_a
02-29-2008, 17:56
Either, just make sure it is mesh.

teog
03-03-2008, 00:06
I use a duffel to store and transport my gear when not wet or going to get wet. If Im going on a boat or to the springs I pack my gear in a mesh backpack.

johnyringo
03-03-2008, 00:13
I use a big duffel for local "cold" diving, "call outs", and storage (as well as the living room floor, various closets, the dining room table and an extra bedroom), an Akona Evolution roller for travel...and storage, and an Akona mesh back pack for schlepping my gear back and forth when I'm boat diving, it fits in one of the front pockets of the roller bag.

comet24
03-03-2008, 02:45
I have some mesh duffel bags and they worked fine. Recently bought a mesh backpack which is so much better then duffel bags if you have to walk anywhere.

mitchy
03-03-2008, 07:19
I'm part of the rubbermaid clan. Just keeps everything dry and tidy, and protects too. I have been considering a hockey bag with wheels for on the boat. You can find them for $40 and withstand wet gear and are very durable. I know many who use them and like them.

character157
06-23-2008, 10:48
For now I am using a duffle-old Tough Traveler bag-and its on it way out. I am hoping to get something with wheels that can also double as travel luggage...Tusa RD-2 is the one I have my eye on.

abcitydiver
06-24-2008, 02:21
I use a big duffel for local "cold" diving, "call outs", and storage (as well as the living room floor, various closets, the dining room table and an extra bedroom), an Akona Evolution roller for travel...and storage, and an Akona mesh back pack for schlepping my gear back and forth when I'm boat diving, it fits in one of the front pockets of the roller bag.

Wow...i feel SO much better - knowing I'm not the only lunatic that has the spare bedroom dedicated to dive gear! wahoo

chinacat46
06-24-2008, 08:22

Wow...i feel SO much better - knowing I'm not the only lunatic that has the spare bedroom dedicated to dive gear! wahoo

I'm guilty of this as well.

Vercingetorix
06-24-2008, 09:11
Whats better a duffle bag or a packback style? Also is mesh good to have?If you go with mesh, buy with mesh on top of bag, not bottom.

For local diving, I use a rolling trunk (http://www.containerstore.com/MEDIA/ProductCatalog/6359/6359.jpg) I bought at the Container Store. Bigger than RubberMaid, has wheels, easy in-and-out of trunk of car. Fits all my gear.

For boat, I just sold a Mares Technomad 100 (mesh-bottom dive bag)($30), and ordered Armor Amphibian # 91 (mesh on top) from Joe. This bag has backpack straps.

For transport, Edge dive bag. Has wheels and backpack straps. Fins store in side pockets.

thor
06-24-2008, 09:44
This is what I use. It's a mesh duffle/backpack

DELUXE COATED MESH BACKPACK [97205] :: Tilos, Inc (http://cp32.heritagewebdesign.com/~tilos07/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_30&products_id=178&zenid=7e5d53d0bfaaed9f52c6d3f3dd495879)

This is what I bring on to the boat. If I am going to the quarry or transporting things in my car, I use a large rubbermaid container.

CompuDude
06-24-2008, 13:53

I'm guilty of this as well.

Don't we all? (except maybe those weirdos with freakishly organized garages)

I mean, we have to do something to keep our wives complaining, don't we? :smilie39:

I like the good ol' Action Packer for local shore diving where I've driving right up the destination. I have a heavy-duty Akona mesh bag with shoulder straps for small local boats, an big Akona roller bag for local boat diving on larger boats, and a cheap lightweight mesh duffel bag for warm water diving where the need for a lightweight mesh bag means the heavy Akona mesh bag stays at home. With lighter weight tropical dive gear, this isn't generally an issue.

Truered1
06-24-2008, 18:03
I've got the Evo Back Pack and I love it, it's got the side zipper to load everything if you find it hard to go thru the top. Boyfriend has the duffle and although I like the way it packs, I HATE trying to carry it. I can put mine on my back and not feel it and carry two tanks to the boat and make just one trip no matter how far away the boat may be.

Sansho
06-24-2008, 18:24
I have a Pinnacle mesh bag, cost around $39. Well made, strong construction, holds a bunch, lets wet gear drain out. When I drive to the site, I use a rubbermaid container also.

Splitlip
06-24-2008, 18:39
See below for best of both worlds.
My $.02...
1st diving on most charter boats her in SoFla., a rigid case or box won't make you too popular on a crowded boat. What ever you use needs to fold up under your bench in a space is wide, deep and high as your butt cheeks on a full boat.

Most back packs are very difficult to load and unload on a rolling deck, so I say duffel. Get one with a shoulder strap. (or the armour below.)

I keep a mason's trough in my vehicle to drop the bag in.

On most 6 packs a hard case is even more of a PIA.

http://www.armorbags.com/images/bags/91amphibian_back.gif (http://www.armorbags.com/images/bags/91amphibian_back.gif)http://www.armorbags.com/images/bags/91amphibian_main.gif (http://www.armorbags.com/images/bags/91amphibian_main.gif)

CompuDude
06-24-2008, 19:30
Nice bag, splitlip, where'd you get it and how much?

bubbletrubble
06-24-2008, 19:36
Yup, nice bag, Splitlip. My guess: LP $70. :smiley2:

Jay_SMART_Diver
06-24-2008, 20:03
I think the XS Scuba Mesh wheeled Duffel is the cat's meow. I love mine and the wheels make a huge difference, definitely woth holding out and paying the 60 bucks for. I had a Scubapro mesh duffel and loved the size but XS definitely hit a home run with this bag.

Splitlip
06-24-2008, 21:38
Yup, nice bag, Splitlip. My guess: LP $70. :smiley2:

Divers Direct here in WPB. $60.00 range. I actually returned it am waiting for the newer version which has a storage pocket.

It comes with a fitted dry bag, so the bag can be used dry.

bubbletrubble
06-24-2008, 22:27
Divers Direct here in WPB. $60.00 range. I actually returned it am waiting for the newer version which has a storage pocket.

It comes with a fitted dry bag, so the bag can be used dry.

Must...resist...ordering...another...scuba...bag.. . :covereyes:

Splitlip
06-24-2008, 22:34
It is long enough to carry free diving fins too.

matt151617
06-29-2008, 00:47
Are there any decent mesh bags for $30-$40, the kind that are heavy duty, mesh on the sides/top only?

Sansho
06-29-2008, 07:37
Are there any decent mesh bags for $30-$40, the kind that are heavy duty, mesh on the sides/top only?I use the Pinnacle Mesh bag, which you can see at Pinnacle Aquatics (http://pinnacleaquatics.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=52&toplvl=18&catid=18&catprods=18) . Runs around $40. It's not on the ST site, but they can order it for you.

diver 85
07-08-2008, 09:46
I have used a mesh duffle bag(only 2 since '85).The last one(it's about 15 years old now & still in GREAT shape) was a Stalsac(sp)........great bag......

jtaffar
07-30-2008, 10:42
so many options. i knew diving was going to be a blast. however, i had no idea how much was involved in selecting your gear. wow :)

Duckydiver
07-30-2008, 19:13
I have the Akona mesh back pack boat bag I like it, but it is a little hard to pack .

coral cowgirl
08-03-2008, 18:49
Duffles are great...but I always pack a rolling duffle. 50 pounds is more than I want to drag around the airport. With the rolling duffle and a backpack I've got everything I need without chancing a hernia.~

Jenn
08-03-2008, 18:55
I have a great bag made by akona it is a mesh backback and has a dry compartment as well for towels or clothes it was huge but very easy to carry on back. I am able to fit all my gear in one of these. I honestly paid 45 for it but it is great. I also keep a dunk cooler in the car so when I am done diving I can trough my gear in there to soak on the way home.

crgjpg
08-06-2008, 21:24
When going on trips, I pack my gear in a regular suitcase and use a mesh duffel bag at the location. I think I will get the duffel that Splitlip posted.

mrbheagney
09-04-2008, 20:53
I travel the world with my gear in a backpack so I would recommend that.

mrm777
12-04-2008, 01:08
Backpack....and I ziptie the zippers so I don't have to worry about theft when I've got it on traveling.

shawnwill36
12-05-2008, 09:05
hmmm does that seem to work?

scubajane
12-05-2008, 21:31
When we dive local we use the big rubbermaid containers in the back of the van. that way we keep the van fairly dry. when we boat dive we have mesh backpacks with a drawstring at the top and a zipper down the side. very convenient. all gear in the back pack and into the rinse bucket, please don't take your bulky roller luggage on the boat! we saw this once in Hawaii.... and the customer was complaining about her luggage getting wet.(deep heaving sigh) where does the boat go?? what does it travel in? what do waves do to a boat? is your gear dry when you get out of the water??? how on earth do you put ANYTHING on a boat and expect it to stay dry?? (another deep heaving sigh) her luggage looked like a salt lick when she got off....so sad.....

chocka
08-26-2009, 00:27
i use a dry bag for my clothes and important stuff. as for my dive gear, i use a plastic drum. rubbermaid containers are also effective.

horncasey
08-31-2009, 09:56
In my opinion get something you can carry on your back and something that is durable enough o withstand the abuse.

it_mike
08-31-2009, 12:12
Guys! We have this new technology called wheels!

I have an Armor roller back, half hard plastic, half cordura, that I've used to travel all over since 2002. I also carry an all mesh bag for that 'last mile' on the boat or shore. Couldn't tell you who makes it, as it's 14-15yrs old.

All that said, as each day passes I consider a backpack more.

Luggage to get to the destination, and then a breathable, flexible bag to tote the gear to the site.

I'll probably take a big rubbermaid tote along on the next weekender, just to keep the water out of the tent (wife tends to mind :D)

Johncalloway
08-31-2009, 12:15
I am using the stanley toolbox that everyone was talking about on another thread. It was 50 at lowes, and is a great gear hauler. I use chamois towels under my gear, in the bottom to soak up any water.

below sea level
08-31-2009, 13:15
I use a cheapo mesh duffel to hold whatever gear I'll need for a dive. When I travel, it fits nicely inside a regular duffel that looks nothing like a dive bag. When empty, the two roll up small enough to squeeze into a corner on the boat.

inthehole
11-01-2009, 15:09
hey def a mesh bag is real handy....i also have a clear tote that i put my bc and reg in makes it easy t carry plus fits under most benches good for like a dive boat with limited room lol which is all

cutter77
11-01-2009, 19:30
Large mesh bag for all the wet stuff to drain out of....smaller drybag inside for towel, batteries, memory cards etc.

rednose83
11-01-2009, 21:24
I have both bags and the rubber maid tubs. I store all of my dry gear (except wetsuits) in the rubber maid tubs in my closet. I use the mesh bag to carry wet gear from the dive site to my truck. We also have a rolling bag to check our gear (minus computer and reg) on trips.