PDA

View Full Version : Dive boat project Florida pan Handle

solodiver
02-29-2008, 20:37
I always have something going on . In or on the water.

I have been certified since 74 and try to get in or on the water several times a week.

This past year I have not done much diving.

I got tired of the off shore stuff in 99 taking students out, then just could not bring myself to pay the money to go out while others took out students and have dive operator not allow spear fishing/

I have a 16' Carolina Skiff that is in the wate rseveral times a week, either on the lakes, like yesterday and today, in the bays fishing like it will be the next two days, if calm enough out the passes, or up river to the springs for diving like Cypress.

This year I'm getting in more diving.

I have two compressors that have been down for a couple of years, they need to get back up.

Today I bought a dive boat project , a 26' Sea Star with a 7' beam, lots of deck space and a Chevy 327 stern Drive.

I will be needing to put some work into her to get her out on the water.

Anyone interested in helping getting her ready or the compressors, will be welcome aboard for the share of the gas.

Probably boat to Cypress next weekend

solodiver
02-29-2008, 20:46
Ben Chapamn died 2/1/08. How time goes by, Last year I thought of emailing him, we have not emailed each other for 5-6 years.

BoomerNJ
03-01-2008, 09:46
Welcome to the board! That offer sounds almost good enough to move to Florida for... lol... I will be moving there eventually, but right now too many loose ends here in beautiful NJ (can you hear the sarcasm?)...

Charles R
03-01-2008, 11:08
I moved your thread to the Florida section Hope this helps help the right people to help you out

rfb3
03-01-2008, 13:21
Solodiver,
You just don't know how much I could help you with this project! However, for now, I'm stuck in North Texas... Good luck and have fun!

Dive-aholic
03-02-2008, 07:33
Welcome to the board! I'm not sure how much time I have to devote to helping out, but I could probably find a little bit here and there. I usually dive the land accessible sites. Just waiting to sell my AZ house so I can buy myself a skiff. I'm about an hour from you. Let me know what kind of help you need.

solodiver
03-03-2008, 08:56
You'll love a skiff. I had the tri haul baass boats before with the 80HP on them,.. just too big or too small a boat.

I had the skiff off cassidy Thursdaya nd Friday, Burnt mill creek to Tyndall b ridge in St Andrews/West bay Saturday and Aqua bayou in CHoc bay Yesterday.

Planned Victor this P.M. won't make it. Tuesday either Vicrtor or boat up Morrison way to see whats going on. Will depend upon it I untangle a coupel fo trotlines to drop or it will be Victor,. If Morrison is Divable will fromthe water,.. will take dive gear later in teh week or weekend when no workers are around. Possible Cypress this weekend.

As far as the dive boat project. I was told that the motor a replacement that the owner rebuilt just before dying.

If so,.. a raw water pump will get it floating.

The skiff is only a couple of years old,.. everything that went on it was new.

This project will be a scavanger hunt project from boat grave yards, to online used Marine salvage to Ebay.

One item needed is a raw water pump. I don't expect to pay the $600.00 for a new name brand model. Of course the same new model could ber had online for half that or cheaper watching ebay auctions. Probab ly find one off an old boat in a bone yard or slavage.

Trailer tires are cracked ,... all four. I don't plan on pouotting new $100.00 tires on a trailer. It wona't get the milage the skiff does, Tires on it were new two years ago and arre nor going bald. $20.00 used tires or ones someone has laying around for donation to the project would be fine.

I have a couple o f old radios, an old fish finder that would at least give depth. I have an old achor from my last boat, do have some anchor chain laying around, need a couple hundred feet of anchor rope.

Probably need to look at the gear shift and steering cables, lubricate or replace as required.

The dive platform ois out of wood,m.. r=needs to be refinished or replace.

Most of this we can do at our place. We have a countertop and cabient shop on the property. So refinishing the steps or b uilding new ones out of teak would be cheap and a breaze.

I have two compressors.

One is a 3 CFM the old AM series FLame thrower chargers, I used for years. It blew a myler gasket and actually needs to be put back together, the other is the same only on a small trailer with a 3.5 cfm, the compressor works fine. the motor is new. Only the motor has not been fired up in a couple years. I broke the spark plug taking it out, just got a new on andI need to get back to it, then we can put one of the compressor son the boat.

I would like to reinforce a couple areas on the trailer, if anyone has a welder, otherwise I will run it 12 miles up the road to the welder.

Need to lubridcate the jack, replace wheel bearing and lubricate while the tires are off.

Replace fluids and look over the stern drive. I know about lower units of outboards, not much on stern drives..

The engine , I was told , Is a rebuilt 327 out of a 74 Chevy truck.

We are available 7 days from 04:00 - 22:00, just have to call and make sure we are here.

Let me know

solodiver
03-03-2008, 16:58
http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/3/9/0/2/100_2285_thumb.jpg (http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1491&c=7)
Project Dive boat

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/3/9/0/2/100_2286_thumb.jpg (http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1492&c=7)

http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/files/3/9/0/2/100_2287_thumb.jpg (http://forum.scubatoys.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1493&c=7)

Current Skiff

08-08-2008, 09:24
id love to come help, but i havent been to Florida in years and idk when ill be back. either way , i started my own boat project, i was wondering what stern drive you have on your 327 im having a hard timing finding one to fit mine.

Thank and good luck