Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apollo Bio-Tank Lock (Review)

Grouper Founding Member

Apollo Bio-Tank Lock (Review)

I bought an Apollo Bio-Tank Lock from ST a little while back, and took it for a dive today. It was one of the sweetest additions to the gear! I no longer need to kneel on the ground try to tighten the cam bands anymore. By twisting the tank lock screw with TWO FINGERS, I got my BC tightened to the tank in no time and way tighter than I ever had with normal cam bands. It's so easy, a 3 yr old could have done it!

I highly recommend it to anyone. It really isn't too much more expensive than a quality cam band with a s. steel buckle.

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Thanks for taking the time to do such a nice write up on the product. I've found people really like those - and the only folks that don't, are ones that have to change tank diameters all the time. So if you are going from an aluminum 50 to an al 80 to a steel 120 - it might drive you a little nuts as you have to readjust which takes a little more time than a standard cam latch.

But I agree with your take on it... a few spins of the thing, and the cam is as tight as a banjo string with almost no effort required!

edit: Note, I'm going to copy this thread over into the Apollo specific area as well...

Grouper Founding Member
    Judes, your a real bugger you know, ive been looking at these for so long now wondering how they would fit my gear. Your pushing me closer to buying more gear!

In your opinion, do you feel that they would suit any BCD?

Kraks
    If your not living on the edge your taking up too much room

Hi Krakenn

This thread was doubled up in another area .... I asked a similar question and Larry said that they are easily fitted to any BCD (refer here ...
    http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=1011 )

They look very good and I will be getting one in my next order ... just need to pay for the current one first!!!

Grouper Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakenn View Post
    Judes, your a real bugger you know, ive been looking at these for so long now wondering how they would fit my gear. Your pushing me closer to buying more gear!

In your opinion, do you feel that they would suit any BCD?

Kraks
    Oops I didn't subscribe to this thread and only see it today. Yea, it'll fit in any slot a cam band can go through...any BCD. I use it on my BP/W but I tried fitting in my sister's Zeagle Lazer, and worked fine too. I have to quickly take it off though, so she wouldn't steal it from me

It seemed expensive at first, but no regrets, like I said before, it's just slightly more than a cam band with a stainless steel buckle. And since it DOESN'T use velcro at all, I'd think it'll last for a long long time (just change the webbing if it ever wears out).

My BC has two camband slots, I only use one Bio-Tank Lock though, it's so tight, one will do. I put a normal camband in the lower slot, just as a redundant and it looks good too.

No...I'm not pushing Kraks...but you know what, you should REALLY get it. LOL.

Guppy
    I bought one for my wife who has used it for about 2 yrs. Neighbor, with whom we dive, has severe arthritis in her hands. Both women like the Apollo Bio-Tank Lock a lot. However, there has been one recurring problem, not with the mechanical device, but with the strap that came with it.

The strap is webbing that is fairly loosely woven. Unlike the original tank strap/buckle, it does not stick firmly out away from the back of the BCD, but sags. The lack of stiffness translates into either slippage or stretching or both with repeated uses of the strap. When the Apollo buckles are tightened after such strap changes, the two buckles butt against each other and cannot tighten sufficiently. The solution is to re-adjust how much of the strap goes through each buckle. However, doing this after every 5 to 6 dives somewhat defeats the purpose. I had to do these adjustments repeatedly for my wife and neighbor on a recent week long trip. Neighbor had even left hers in the LDS where the strap was repeatedly stretched on a submerged tank over a two day period. Personally, I think the webbing of the strap is simply too loosely woven and with repeated removals of tanks, the strap slips in the buckle.

Again, the concept is fantastic and I wouldn't be surprised to see them as a purchase option on new BCDs in the near future.

Guppy
    I have the tank lock also. I don't have to tighten that often, but maybe every 20 dives or so. It deffinately defeats it's purpose and I'd love to hear from the mfg. on this topic.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by CARDIVER View Post
    I have the tank lock also. I don't have to tighten that often, but maybe every 20 dives or so. It deffinately defeats it's purpose and I'd love to hear from the mfg. on this topic.
    Thank you for your comments. At Apollo Sports, we are always working to improve our equipment. Divers reporting their real experiences helps us keep moving forward. All the comments in this ST forum have been forwarded to Apollo Japan. Good diving to all.
    mdb

Grouper
    well, i have no problem using the traditional cam bands with velcro to secure my tank to a backplate but i agree that the design is very cool and easy to use for those who have hard time with can bands.

Guppy
    or those that cant stand cam bands too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information