Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel Tank recomendations please

TadPole

Steel Tank recomendations please

Hi all,

I've been diving typically to 85 ft using al 80's, and since diving with nitrox and computers for the last couple of years, I would like to get a couple of tanks where I can match my max bottom time with the tank capacity. I seems my dives are always cut short due to capacity, ex. 25 min, where EAN36 would give me 40 minutes bottom time (I just pulled this out of the air for discussion purposes, don't have tables or my computer here at work). My typical 2 dives are 75-85 ft SW, at least an hour SI.

From talking to folks, some say I could use a steel 100, 120, or 130. The 120 has approx. the same diameter as an AL 80, where the 130 is fatter. I'm 6-4 220 lbs, so the height of the tank would not be a problem for me as I have a long torso, so the tank wouldnt beat me upside the head.

Is it adviseable to use a din reg for these tanks? I have 2 conshelf se2 yoke regs in good shape that I have been using. Do they make din adapters for these regs, or should I go with something new?

Thanks.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    I love my 130's and you should be able to handle any size up to that with no problems, considering your size. Nobody can say really what the perfect size you'll need, but if you have a shop that rents different size tanks you might be able to try some. I dive cold water locally and the 130's work great for me with my drysuit. Easy to max bottom time with them.

As far as DIN vs. yoke for these tanks - most yoke 1st stages are rated for 3500 psi so you shouldn't have problems with HP tanks since they should only be filled to 3442 for the most part. Not sure if you can get a din conversion for your first stage.

Grouper Founding Member
    The X7-120's that Larry carries look like nice tanks. They're 7.25" diameter and 5 pounds lighter than the 130. A 120 would give you about 55% more bottom time compared to the aluminum 80.

Ron

TadPole
    Get the tall 120s (x7s?). @ 6'4" they should fit you perfectly when gearing up. I'm the same height and I have 2 sets of PST E7 120 doubles. I dove my first two as singles for a year before making the switch to doubles. I trimmed out nicely in the water and had loads of air.

I also have a set of the Faber LP 95s. They are way too short. I had to make a block out of 2x4s to set them on while gearing up so they wouldn't pull me over backwards.

Grouper Founding Member
    Yeah, the X7-120's are the tall tank. If you go to the 130 it moves to an 8 inch tank and you lose a few inches on the height.

Ron

Grouper Founding Member
    if you gonna do it, I'd say go get 130s. If your gonna spend the money, go all out and get the big ones.

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie2012 View Post
    I love my 130's and you should be able to handle any size up to that with no problems, considering your size. Nobody can say really what the perfect size you'll need, but if you have a shop that rents different size tanks you might be able to try some. I dive cold water locally and the 130's work great for me with my drysuit. Easy to max bottom time with them.

As far as DIN vs. yoke for these tanks - most yoke 1st stages are rated for 3500 psi so you shouldn't have problems with HP tanks since they should only be filled to 3442 for the most part. Not sure if you can get a din conversion for your first stage.
    Just be aware with a yoke, that if they do overfill, you will go thru a lot of o-rings..

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyWaterIL View Post
    if you gonna do it, I'd say go get 130s. If your gonna spend the money, go all out and get the big ones.
    I would say the 120's.. lighter..

TadPole

Reasons for 120's

I am biased, as I dive the 120's, and here's why - Most of the boats in this area have tank racks, but they are older racks that won't accomodate an 8" diameter tank. Also, when I travel, I carry my BC with me and my straps are set for thinner tanks, like the AL80's that I usually have to rent (lots of shops won't carry bigger tanks for rent due to the increased cost.) Sure, it's a little thing to adjust straps, on a pitching boat, crowded by other divers...

I also went with DIN when I bought my regulator, in preparation for diving HP tanks later. Most new valves are already DIN with a yoke insert, so it's no problem from that stand point.

Finally - If somebody says "Penny for your thoughts" and you give them your two cents worth, where does the other penny go?
    Michael aka GlockGuy
    US Navy(Ret.)
    Life Member - NRA, NAHC, VFW
    Member - Bottom Dwellers Dive Club
    Tidewater Kayak Anglers Association.
    PADI AOW/EAN

Proverbs 3: 5-6

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockGuy View Post
    I am biased, as I dive the 120's, and here's why - Most of the boats in this area have tank racks, but they are older racks that won't accomodate an 8" diameter tank. Also, when I travel, I carry my BC with me and my straps are set for thinner tanks, like the AL80's that I usually have to rent (lots of shops won't carry bigger tanks for rent due to the increased cost.) Sure, it's a little thing to adjust straps, on a pitching boat, crowded by other divers...

I also went with DIN when I bought my regulator, in preparation for diving HP tanks later. Most new valves are already DIN with a yoke insert, so it's no problem from that stand point.

Finally - If somebody says "Penny for your thoughts" and you give them your two cents worth, where does the other penny go?
    Excellent advice..

Regarding the penny... they asked for a penny, and you gave them two cents.. that leaves them with an extra penny... its a pyramid scheme.. do that say 30 or 40 million times and you are one wealthy person.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information