Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OW Certification Story

Grouper

OW Certification Story

Well, this was a few weeks ago but thought i'd share...even though i'll prob bore you.

I was actually going to get certified about a month ago, but I got sick and wasn't able to. But i made it up! On friday, I drove down from SF to monteray, we were staying at the Lone Oak. We went out to dinner, and sat in the hot tub and excercized late into the night. Aaahhhhhhh.... On Saturday, We came to San Carlos Beach (breakwater) and watched out DM set out our float. I went down and did snorkel skills, then came up and assambled our gear. We went in, and had a great first dive. Skills went great, but viz SUCKED so we kept loosing everyone. We held hands, and had a great tour. I had some trouble coming out, though. Lets say this-i'm small, and i'm not the strongest, so having all this gear was already a stretch. I took my fins off while comign out, and started to walk out. I got knocked over by a big wave and was down. I was SOOO exausted, I couldn't even get up. It took me a few mins, but i got out using a rough water exit. (Hands and Knees) I lost a fin, but couldn't care less. I wanted OUT!!! My DM later found it. I have a great pic of me lying flat on my back with a 20-30 foot trail of gear because I was soo tired. My second dive was even worse. Entering, my buddy and I did a rough water entry (fins on) and got knocked over again!!! (I'm only 82lbs, so yeahhh...) We sat under the raging waves (regs in, so we weren't worried). But i swear, i've never been that exausted. I couldn't even move-so when a wave came in, my DM and some random dude would run in and push out-for 5 mins!!! I've never felt so stupid. As soon as we got in, ALL the people on the pier (like 100!) starting clapping! My DM was laughing, but i was PISSED. We had a good dive though. Cold.

Second day was great-better vis, better entries and exits. Saw LOTS of stuff. What was really sad though, is we saw A TON of trash. Really sad. took out as much as we could, but not if it had things growing on it

Welll, sorry to bore you!

Happy diving!

Grouper
    whoops wrong forum. could a mod move this to the CA one? thanks.

Barracuda
    Images
    Glad to hear that you stuck with it and got certified.

Don't worry about the applause from the pier. The majority of them have been tossed around by waves, too. Just consider it part of the initiation (painful and wrongheaded as it may be) and give them all a gracious smile and a wave (even if you have to fake it).

You learned a valuable lesson out there. Your build is a detriment to your ability to withstand heavy surf. Keep this in mind when you are evaluating shore conditions for your future dives. When your buddies are up for diving at Monastery, for instance, you should give it second thought.

Grouper
    haha thanks man. I wasn't really mad that they were clapping, It was kinda funny I was just mad that i needed so much help to get in haha!!! yeah, i think i'll stick with my boat dives. hehehe.

TadPole
    ive never had the privledge of shore diving...
    maybe this april i will try in st. maarten

Devin27
    congratz on the cert, welcome to the diving world.

Congrats on your certification! Sounds like you earned it!

Grouper
    Images
    Congrats on the cert - wow so you are carrying almost half your body weight - awesome
    acckkk ack ack ack ackkk (we come in peace)

Grouper
    even though it seems you got certified 4 months ago I'll join in and congratulate you. I hope you've had lots of opportunities to experience great diving since your certification!

Grouper
    Congratulations on getting your OW - hope you're getting some diving in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information